Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  4,691,496 Ratings  ·  73,908 Reviews
Harry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft ...more
Published June 26th 1997 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.

Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/f...(less)

Lora
Jun 03, 2011 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
Khanh (the meanie)
Jun 10, 2012 Khanh (the meanie) rated it it was amazing
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Shep
Oct 17, 2010 Shep rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites

Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 14, 2012 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
IT'S HARRY FREAKIN POTTER OF COURSE I LOVE IT

*reread in March 2017 (for the first time in like 5 years)(STILL WONDERFUL)
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 03, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
Voldemort
Aug 14, 2013 Voldemort rated it did not like it
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Zoë
Jun 06, 2012 Zoë rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Update September 2016: Currently rereading this series again! (I need to sort out my priorities.)

I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
My original review was a comparison of sorts between Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is stupid as the two are incomparable. Honestly, its not even worth discussing. Its not just that Twilight doesn't come close, it is the fact that Harry Potter transcends other similar works. Its peerless. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: It "ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."

There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harr
Colleen Hoover
Apr 03, 2017 Colleen Hoover rated it it was amazing
I'm on page 27. I can already tell this is going to be a big hit someday. Everyone take note of this author. He's going places.
Couldn't find him on Twitter, though. Wanted to tell him how great I thought page 23 was.
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 Navessa rated it it was amazing

There are no words to do this book justice.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites, own, up-next
Review for Illustrated Edition

Perfect. Duh.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 27, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 12, 2014 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Always Great, Coming back Home..

There's a reason us, the Fans, feel that we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics, ages..we're all graduated from there..

..Hogwarts.. even like we were in same class,classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a story..it's a Life..

The Boy Who Saved Flourished the Book Industry
It's One of the most important novels in modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who h
Stephen
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
Maggie
Aug 30, 2016 Maggie rated it it was amazing
❝This boy will be famous. There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name.❞

Everyone grew up with Harry Potter. They read all the books when they were young and watched all the films. They would re-watch and re-read them. They would fall in love with the Wizarding World and would completely adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They would talk about them non stop, about Hogwarts, about its teachings, about them wanting to become students there and pretending they are, about joining the
Oct 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Bookdragon Sean
Here are three reasons why Harry Potter rocks my socks:

1.A Better World

One of the main reasons Harry Potter is so wonderful is because Rowling shows you a boring world; it is the world of reality, dry, boring and ordinary. Then under it she reveals fantasy; she reveals everything a reader longs for: she reveals pure escapism. I still want to go to Hogwarts. I always will.

2. We’re all a bit like Harry

Okay so not many of us are orphans, and not many of us are practically abused in their own homes
Kai
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

Harry Potter is the most amazing series that I have ever read in my whole life, and it probably forever will be. I will never love any books as much as I love these. I don't think I have to tell you guys about how good this book is because most of you have already read it anyway.

I haven't written a review so far because I just did not feel the need to put this
Inge
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 Harold Bloom rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd o
Wil Wheaton
Apr 14, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it it was amazing
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
ᴍᴀʏʙᴇʟʟɪɴᴇ⚓

I’m putting aside precious reading time to try and formulate a review for y’all so you should be grateful (and not attack me for my rating)

So clearly, I had a very very sad childhood since I had not read Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or any other of those “must-read-or-else-you-never-experienced-happiness-as-a-child” kind of books. But I was actually a pretty happy kid. Go figure.

description

Harry Potter #1 was a GOOD book. It was fascinating, it was adventurous, it was different, and it was also average.

Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
One of my first jobs was at a bookstore. When I was a kid my Mom would take me to the mall and I would spend tons of time hanging out at Waldenbooks (who here remembers Waldenbooks?) Right when I became legally old enough to work, I went in and submitted my application and a few weeks later I was selling literature to the masses.

Why do I tell you this story on this review, you ask? Well, at the time, young adult/teen literature consisted mainly of RL Stein, Christopher Pike, Beverly Cleary, Judy
Wendy Darling
Current project: re-reading HP.

My history: I was a young adult when this first book came out, and the print book never really grabbed me when I gave it a try. I found that I very much enjoyed the American audiobooks with Jim Dale narrating, however, so I read the first few books this way. But this came to an end when I misplaced the fourth book and no longer had a long commute--I never did reach the end of that wretchedly long quidditch game, so I gave up.

But here it is, 2015 and I'm trying ag
Michael Finocchiaro
The first HP novel is already a classic. I have read it in the original English and the (slightly disappointing IMHO) French translation because my kid, just a few months after starting reading, plunged head first into this book and only resurfaced after the last one. I never made it past the 3td book but admittedly really enjoyed this book. It is the most light-hearted and funny of the series despite the darkness of the One Who Cannot Be Named. The universe created by Rowling is one of the most ...more
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Why oh why haven't I re-read this before? That was the best nostalgia train ride of my life.
________________________

This? This is everything.
I wouldn't even be on here if I hadn't decided to randomly buy "that book with the cool-looking cover" all those long, long years ago— and for that, I thank you deeply and eternally, Miss Rowling.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I wasn't going to review this for Rabid Reads, but then I was reminded of the multitudes of unfortunates who haven't read HARRY POTTER yet . . .

I ask myself:

Me: How can this be?
Self: *shrugs awkwardly*
Me: The HARRY POTTER books breathed new life into readers of all ages. They're amazing, wonderful, fantastic, addicting, SUPERLATIVE--
Self: *nods emphatic agreement*

So what's the deal people?

Boiled down to its most basic elements, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE is u
Alyssa • The Bookish Nerd
Dec 16, 2016 Alyssa • The Bookish Nerd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, 5-stars
1,000,000 Million Stars!

description

I'm going to hit myself on the head. Why? Well, because I'm stupid. I've always told myself that Harry Potter might be something that I won't like, something I won't enjoy. In my head, I kept telling myself that wizards just aren't my thing and all that stupid shit. I honestly don't know why I did that though. But I finally got over my doubt and picked this up and I'm speechless. In a good way of course! It was super good! Next time, for any book series I want to read, I
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I'M GOING TO ADD MY BIG OLE SPOILER THING FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ THESE BOOKS YET. I'M ALSO GOING TO ADD A FEW PICTURES THAT ARE IN THE BOOK SO YOU CAN SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS AND RUN OUT AND BUY IT, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

LET US BEGIN!

Poor Harry's parents were killed by VOLDEMORT! Yep, I said it :-) So Dumbledore (the head honcho) and the gang decide to leave Harry with his mother's sister, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and their brat of a son, Dudley.
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • The Homeward Bounders
  • The Iron Ring
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)