Start by marking “Bee and Jacky” as Want to Read:
Bee and Jacky

Bee and Jacky

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 1975, long after their father's return from Vietnam, 13-year-old Bee Cooney and her older brother, Jacky, bear the scars of a childhood spent entangled, fighting to cope. Then, over a weekend when their parents are away, the siblings return to their incestuous past -- and destroy, then transform, their lives. With mastery and grace, multiple award-winner Carolyn Coman h ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Puffin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bee and Jacky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bee and Jacky

Dec 30, 2007 Shinaka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone into dissecting stories to ribbons and who can stand reading incest
This is one of the most gorgeous books I've ever read. And it's a shame it hasn't been reviewed yet here, despite being out for quite a while.

Coman employs especially spare writing in Bee + Jacky but that contributes to the book's strength as you devour its 100-and-slightly-more pages, trying to peel back the layers of meaning behind Bee's hallucinations, Jacky's advances on his sister, and Bee's erratic behavior as the weekend wears on. Simple imagery as opposed to long, drawn-out descriptions
Powerful, short and to the point this is a story that will leave a lasting impression.

In this book Coman portrays Bee's conflicting emotions ~ love, fear, shame, arousal, and anger ~ with absolute beauty and sparse, incisive prose. A story not to be missed. A little too short for my liking...these are characters I would have enjoyed delving into further. I do feel, however that Coman accomplishes in only 100 pages what another author might have dragged on for several. There isn't a neatly wrapp
Strange Short Novel. Liked how it ended though.
Mario Pimental
Eh, not impressed. Awkward to read.
This book was very very confusing and odd, i enjoyed it, but in the end I'm a still a little confused. If anyone truly and completly understood this book please explain it to me. i did like the imagery though and it was easy to see how she was feeling.You can see a shift in the characters even thought I didn't see any real turning point, the book seemed rushed, without to much indepth backround. Like wearing a blind fold with only the tiniest pinprick of an eyehole.
A quick read, only 100 pages or so. I love books dated between 1970-1995 due to the lack of technology references and the kind of "The Wonder Years" feel. This book was interesting but I feel I was missing something. I feel maybe I need to read it a second time. I did enjoy it, the family dynamic was sad and confusing and Bee is a very interesting character.

I do recommend it and will read some reviews on it to see other readers takes.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Aug 25, 2009 Kristin Fletcher-spear rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one that I can think of!
Bee and Jacky are brother and sister--and in the past they've been incestuous. The book covers one weekend when they confront their past and histories in their own way.

A bit odd. The writing style is vague and feels like Bee looks at life through a veil of sorts. A little crazy. Jacky has anger and lots of it. Very short and to the point. And very fast to read.
I'm not surprised no one has ready this book. It's a bit too gritty and dark, but incest happens people. No one really wants to admit they read something like this, but I like the obscure and fiction that's on the edge. If you like it too, you'll like this book. Quick read, quick theme. Makes you think, but not too much.
Difficult subject matter is eloquently presented by Coman. A well-written book, quick read.
Aug 19, 2011 Alison added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This is a hard one, content-wise. Sibling sexual abuse.
Connie Klever
Incest between brother and sister, Vietnam era.
Tintu added it
Sep 29, 2015
Maddie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Carla marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Poedah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014 marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Amy added it
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Carolyn Coman (born 1951 in Evanston near Chicago) is a writer of children's books living in South Hampton, New Hampshire. Her books What Jamie Saw (1995) and Many Stones (2000) were nominated for several awards.

She worked as a bookbinder from 1975-84 and later as an editor with Heinemann before she became a full-time writer. Her books include the portrait documentary of the debut, and a picture b
More about Carolyn Coman...