A Mother's Story

A Mother's Story

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  23 reviews

On a summer day in 1988, Carter Cooper, aged 24, dropped to his death from the 14th-floor terrace of his mother's New York City's apartment. Now, seven years later, Gloria Vanderbilt is finally able to set down the terrible events of that afternoon—to which she was a witness—in a book of overwhleming intensity, feeling, and beauty.

Published May 1st 1997 by Plume (first published April 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Mother's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mother's Story

Donna
I watch the new Anderson show and I never knew much about him and when he had his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt on his show, i was very intriged. I learned that his brother committed sucicide right in front of his mother so when I found out that she wrote a book about it I just had to read it. I read it in one day! It was such a quick read but I felt that the book is more for her than for other's. It seemed like a way for her to clear the air, so to speak. It really wasn't about Carter it was more a...more
Maureen
If you spend 90 minutes waiting to be seen at a doctor's appt, you can finish this book. Interesting read. I've done quite a bit of suicide-related reading and I don't know how I feel about this. In 1988, Gloria Vanderbilt's eldest son lept to his death - before her eyes - from the terrace of their NYC apartment. For the most part I found the style of the book somewhat odd. Much of the book is about Gloria's emotional difficulties growing up (and not knowing much about Gloria Vanderbilt other th...more
Jane
This small book is about the suicide of Anderson Cooper's brother (Gloria Vanderbilt was/is their mother.) I know Ms. Vanderbilt was the victim of a love deprived childhood and I imagine that might be why she is quite self-involved. As other reviewers have stated, she writes rather too much about herself.

The book is written in a somewhat dreamlike manner and the best chapter was easily Anderson's tribute to his late brother. The description of how her son jumped off their 14th floor terrace to c...more
Laura Rosa-miller
It was an easy read to a very hard experience It let me into a life of a famous and iconic person she wrote about herself her son her life and that tragic day it was done fine and although she is a famous person in some way if anyone has a sad pass or a horrific experience as was hers we can all relate I think the book is a memoir and it is just that Makes you think that the grass is not always greener on the other side She wrote about real raw feelings that we all feel when it comes to our pare...more
Elixxir
I can understand a lot of other readers' frustration at how she chose to tell her story but the book is not called My Son's Death, it is A Mother's Story. What she chose to share of her life and how is just as telling and it was a much easier read than I expected it to be from an emotional standpoint. A solid reminder of how uncertain our future is, whether that makes now precious or pointless is open for debate.
With Butterflies
Damn, there are some cold blooded people on Goodreads. I'll never be a mother or a millionaire, but didn't find it at all difficult to connect with Gloria Vanderbilt and her pain.

I thought she did a great job expressing the depth of her pain while celebrating the life of her child.

Very moving.
alana
...well. i was able to read this in one-sitting. while i found it interesting, and definitely a sad story, it was tough to relate to. plus it annoyed me that it was mostly about herself and not so much about her son.

...also, not a big fan of referring to my husband as "daddy". kind of freaked me out.
Vikki
This book is an autobiography of Gloria Vanderbilt. It tells of her son's death. He jumped fourteen stories in his mother's home. They are almost certain it was a reaction to asthma medicine from an inhaler-theophylline marginal acute hypoxia. A very good book although heart wrenching.
Jodie
Very interesting read & insight to Gloria Vanderbilts family life, including the relationship with her son Carter who committed suicide.
Sheila
Apr 13, 2010 Sheila rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Read this in one night. I thought it was going to be about just her son, Carter. It was more about Ms Vanderbilt's life and how she was in what she liked to call a Glass Bubble which is mentioned far too much in this less than 200 page novel.
kathy
After seeing Gloria Vanderbilt on her son Anderson Coopers show, i decided to read her book about her family. The book mostly is about her Son and her husband (Author Wyatt Cooper), she also talks about her childhood. A quick interesting read.
Bonnie
Gloria Vanderbilt shares her feelings about dealing with loss. Her son (Anderson Cooper's brother) committed suicide. It is a small book that is surprisingly well written. Another glimpse into the life of the famous Vanderbilt family.
Kristine
VERY QUICK READ ABOUT A MOTHER'S LOSS OF HER SON. I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO CONNECT TO THE AUTHOR. SOMEHOW I FELT THE STORY SHOULD REFLECT MORE OF HER SON RATHER THAN HERSELF. DON'T KNOW SHOULD HAVE FELT MORE BUT I DIDN'T.
I'm drawn to the stories of mother's surviving the loss of their children...Gloria's book is poignant and a journey through her own grief over the death of her 20something son, Carter. I read it in one day.
Helen
Even though it was well written I felt she spent more time writing about her husbands death than her sons. I mean the book is called a mothers story not a wifes.
Bev
Sensitive, life-affirming, memoir of rich and famous woman's dealing with her son's suicide and the other losses of her life. One bad word, in appropriate context.
Bridget
An interesting meandering account from Gloria Vanderbilt about her childhood, her husband and losing her son, Carter (Anderson Cooper's brother), to suicide.
Andrea
Such a moving story. Broke my heart to read yet such a testament of deep love and surviving unspeakable hard times.
Stella

Heartwrenching. Almost stream-of-conscious, but well worth the read if you can find the book.
Jill
Gloria Vanderbilt wrote this story of trying to understand her son's suicide.
lissy
great book if your too happy and need to bring yourself down-lol
Becca
Nov 13, 2008 Becca added it
A wonderful book on losing a child
Emily
wonderfully written, and beautiful.
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Jun 08, 2014
Judy
Judy added it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Gloria Vanderbilt is the author of four memoirs and two novels. She contributes to various publications, including The New York Times, Vanity Fair, and Elle, and has received two honorary Doctorates of Fine Arts. She lives in New York City.
More about Gloria Vanderbilt...
It Seemed Important at the Time: A Romance Memoir Once Upon a Time Obsession: An Erotic Tale Black Knight White Knight The Memory Book of Starr Faithfull