Start by marking “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy” as Want to Read:
The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,844 ratings  ·  96 reviews
A necessary resource for anyone interested in alternative approaches to healing, this book contains more than 600 easy-to-follow recipes for essential oil treatments and aromatherapy.
Published January 1st 1993 by New World Library

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs by Claire KowalchikCulpeper's Complete Herbal by Nicholas CulpeperA Modern Herbal by Margaret GrieveThe Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann WorwoodThe New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann
Herbs & Herbals
4th out of 69 books — 24 voters
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Golden Dawn by Israel RegardieLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Middle Pillar by Israel RegardiePrometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
Occult Library
151st out of 375 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie Carlson
This is the best book I have ever found listing all the Essential Oils and their uses. I call it my Essential Oil Bible. It contains every possible oil available and then some. There is no possible way to remember everything listed in this book, which is why I end up using it as a reference tool. I am constantly going back to this book to look up this or that for oil use. I use essential oils for everything - all ailments, feel goods, illnesses, and more. This book has become one of the best boo ...more
This is a fantastic reference book for working with essential oils both as a perfumer and as a cosmetics formulator. Ms. Wormwood is one of the world's acknowledged experts on all things essential, and her advice about the therapeutic value of many of these oils is brilliant. As someone who has more than 20 years of experience working with the medical modalities of these types of therapy, her advice is both scientific in approach, and holistic in value. Highly recommended.
I have just started using essential oils in the last few weeks. I am already a firm believer in them and what they can do. This book has been so helpful in educating me in the world of essential oils!
Okay, this one's definitely a keeper. Zack's warts are vanishing and I only applied the essential oil remedy for three or four days. Warts are so annoying, I had the hardest time getting rid of them when I was a kid. I'm absolutely amazed at how well this worked.

Many essential oils behave as antiseptics, antibacterials, antivirals, and/or antifungals. They are natural and smell good so I'm learning how to use them. I appreciate the wealth of information in
This is my favorite aromatherapy book; I turn to it often. The recipes cover everything you can think of! From your children to the men in your family, your grandparents, and even your pets, there's a chapter for them in there. Ms Worwood seems to know everything there is to know about essential oils and their proper uses, and she shares her knowledge in a way that encourages us to gather up a small supply of pure essential oils and get busy using them!
Essential oils are so much more than just a
Okay, if we consider that.."recent work (Villemure, Slotnick, and Bushnell 2003) has shown that the areas of the brain that light up in response to a painful stimulus can be dulled by creating positive moods with a pleasant odor" - this book becomes essential. Aromatherapy can be used to improve our lives in a myriad of ways. I have personally used it to quit smoking and manage pain. This book provides a thoughtful historical, emotional, and spiritual background with practical tips for combining ...more
Katrina Shreve
every serious aromatherapist should own this book
Apr 27, 2013 Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EO lovers
Shelves: aromatherapy
This is a fabulous reference book. I read it cover to cover and marked up most of the pages with notes and highlights; I tabbed many pages of recipes and tips that I want to refer back to.
Some of the oils I wasn't familiar with and to collect all the ingredients she uses could be costly, but overall there are amazing recipes and a lot of very valuable information on essential oils and their practical uses in every day life.
Would recommend this to anyone who uses essential oils - beginner to ad
This book was painful to read and I would not recommend it. My primary issue is that it does not seem grounded in logic or science - but rather - that the recommendations coming from the author seem totally random (like she just made them up on the spot). It's also very wastefully wordy - taking double or triple the amount of space it should to express it's ideas. It's also very hard to quickly lookup specific information as it really was not designed to be a reference guide. It also reads as if ...more
i really appreciate the way this book in indexed. any ailment or issue you can think of is listed in a clear way so you can turn right to it. the relevance of a book like this is in its usability and this is still my favorite in that department.
This is probably the best book out there if you want to learn more about Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Valerie Ann Worwood is incredibly knowledgeable in the subject, and i refer to this book often in my library!
My favorite reference book for using essential oils. There is even a section for children and babies...these I have also used for adult use with success.
My bestfriend got me this book a couple years ago for Christmas. My mom and I argue over it, it's so good and useful.
It's a decent reference, but there are better EO books (with updated information) out there. I prefer a book that explains why certain oils are used for Z or Y, not just gives recipes. I also find her tone throughout the book a bit off-putting. Nonetheless, I'll hang onto it as a backup because it is easy to look up specifics (which I would then cross-reference with a more modern and instructive book such as Schnaubelt's or Tissarand's.

(And I can't believe she's advising using EOs on pets. Only
We lovingly refer to this as our Oily Bible. :)
Melanie  Gorman
This book is packed full of information on essential oils. It is my go to book on the subject matter and seems to cover everything you would want to know on the subject. This summer I have especially enjoyed the "recipe" for the bug repellant and I feel so good knowing it isn't full of chemicals. I have found it is also good on bug bites that are itching. (I forgot to use it one evening and suffered a few bites that were driving me crazy and this took the itch right out).
(see caution in mid-review)
This book is very informative. I gleaned many things from it, and have decided to keep it as reference material for recipes etc.

However, I strongly suggest that this is not your only source for information on essential oils.

This book is EXTREMELY lacking in safety material. And actually incorrect when it comes to essential oils and animals. You should NEVER use essential oils on a cat. Their livers cannot process it. It will kill them. Re: the other animals li
This is a pretty good reference guide to EOs, but it's outdated & had some Brit-speak I was unfamiliar with. I had to Google things like Lumbago, Chilblains, and a few others. On the positive side, the author isn't trying to sell anything besides her book. I've run into a few that endorse a specific company and contain recipes requiring a blend made by DoTerra instead of just listing individual ingredients.
Pros: comprehensive, easy to look up, full of information. Cons: hasn't been updated since 1991, it's obvious the author is British and the British use different terms than Americans so some of the terms are not obvious to me (chilbains, bilious attacks), sometimes she sounds preachy "cut out tea, alcohol and caffeine" has been her advice many times. And finally, she fails to explains some things. Like she says use a "neat" drop of oil. I was puzzled to know what this means because she never exp ...more
As I learn about and research about essential oils, their properties and proper use, this is a complete and comprehensive instructive book about these things and more. For any one seeking to educate oneself, this may be the beginning of that journey and may answer many questions. It did for me. In fact, I purchased the book after checking it out from the local library.
Although this book is over two decades old, all of the information is still helpful and relevant to anyone looking to start experimenting with essential oils for healing, beauty, cooking, pet care, or natural cleaning products.
Artful Existence
Great book! It has tons of information on essential oils and ways to use them. I like how the book is laid out and enjoy the author's style of writing. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in EOs.
This is my go to book for anything I want to know about essential oils. I personally have found the recommended blends to be effective.
All you need. This book will replace the 4-5 books I have on the subject matter. It is well organized and very informative.
Joey Eller
Very useful! recipe's for symptoms are easy to find with very clear directions. The ones I have tried worked very well.
Anna Hibbard
Essential Oils - you wouldn't think a book would become outdated. Maybe it's just me. This seemed like a waste of time and I abandoned it.
Ellen Campbell
Loaned to me by a friend from yoga class, this book was the perfect introduction and ongoing to reference to the use of essential oils. Very soon after opening its cover, I ordered myself and my daughter a copy.
Lori Smart
Probably a good resource at publication, but has a lot of outdated information
Shivani Loka-Laksmi
A book that should be on every aromatherapist's bookshelf. Great resource.
Nadine Pacey
Wow - the definitive cure for everything. Riiiight!
  • Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body
  • Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
  • The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils
  • Aromatherapy: An A-Z: The Most Comprehensive Guide to Aromatherapy Ever Published
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • Ayurveda: A Life of Balance: The Complete Guide to Ayurvedic Nutrition and Body Types with Recipes
  • The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality and Well-being
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
Valerie Ann Worwood is an aromatherapist, a reflexologist, a member of the London and counties society of Physiologists, and as Chairman of Research is an active member of the International Federation of Aromatherapists. She runs her own clinic in Romford, England, conducts research on aromatherapy and its effects on endometriosis and infertility, and is a consultant to several natural beauty and ...more
More about Valerie Ann Worwood...

“You will only notice the tick by its swollen body attached to your skin. Do not pull it out. A cigarette placed on its body will make the tick drop off, or 1 drop of thyme will also do the trick. Then apply 1 drop of neat lavender every five minutes, to a total of ten,” 1 likes
“AFTER-SUN OIL      Lavender    10 drops      Chamomile         5 drops      Bergamot      1 drop      Geranium      2 drops      Diluted in        Almond oil      approx. 2 oz.      Sesame oil      2 tablespoons” 0 likes