Start by marking “The Faraway Horses And The Story Of The Real Horse Whisperer” as Want to Read:
The Faraway Horses And The Story Of The Real Horse Whisperer

The Faraway Horses And The Story Of The Real Horse Whisperer

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,189 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
This is a rich and rewarding autobiography from the legendary 'horse whisperer', whose ultimate skill is in teaching horse owners how to create a relationship with their horses based on trust and respect, rather than force. The main characters in the novel and film 'The Horse Whisperer' was based largely on him.
Unknown Binding
Published March 26th 2004 by Not Avail (first published 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about The Faraway Horses And The Story Of The Real Horse Whisperer

Christine
Jul 10, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal advocates
It is time for me to admit that I love storytelling.

This book won't win any prize for eloquent writing, but I am certain I will read it again and again.

I saw the film "Buck" last weekend after impatiently waiting for it to open at the local art house theatre. I immediately looked for and ordered this book.

When I arrived home from work to find the book had been delivered, I started reading it immediately. I only put it down for a moment or two.

The bigger lessons to be learned about human behavio
Tuppermalone
The sense I have is that Buck Brannaman is a very authentic person. What he says is who he is. He's an honest, straightforward person who has a strong moral fiber and, based on his upbringing, you know that is not an easy thing to have accomplished. He will not be remembered as an outstanding literary force but I don't think that's why he wrote this book. It seems he wrote this book for people that interested in horses, want to own a horse, want to understand horses and how they work and maybe b ...more
Shay
Apr 26, 2013 Shay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taught by the ways of the late Ray Hunt, the man who changed the way riders connected with their horses. Buck believes in the famous words "Gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it". Showing that the ways of abuse, force and fear were unnecessary requirements when training a horse. Showing that patience,love and understanding of these magnificent animals were truly all one needed. Taking Natural Horsemanship farther than anyone would have ever guessed.

Going into his dark past it's easy to se
Dick Harding
May 30, 2015 Dick Harding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really wonderful book about overcoming difficulties or perhaps becoming a caring good person in spite of difficulties and training horses in a compassionate manner. I don't remember why I got this book. I prefer dairy cows and have no special feeling for horses but the book I felt was a worthwhile read -- inspirational.
Rob Wood
Mar 29, 2012 Rob Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about an exceptional human being. I met Buck in the mid 1980's. We worked together in the Gallatin Valley, Montana. This was about the time Buck was beginning his training career. I knew then that he was a compassionate man with deep soul searching capabilities. The book is authentic and nonpromotional and paints a realistic picture of a man blessed with very special gifts. While he's noted for his abilities to relate to horses, if you ever have the chance take advantage of ...more
Pastor Jeff
Jul 18, 2015 Pastor Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Real Life Good Read

Buck's homespun and direct manner cuts through the mystic perceptions that many have about the human/horse relationship. The difficulties in his own life have served him and us well in understanding the need for horses to feel secure and safe around the rider.

People from all walks of life (not just the horsey set or cowboys) will enjoy and no doubt benefit from this book. It's narrative flow makes it an entertaining and easy read for all ages interested in horses.

In a word
Jim Fromm
Filling in the blanks.

This is a good read. There is a lot of common sense wisdom and philosophy delivered in an interesting low key manner. Several times while I was reading, I had the feeling Buck was whispering his story rather than indulging in all the trauma and drama that seems to be essential for most storytellers. His love for horses is evident and his straightforward advice about being a friend to your horse is unquestionably correct. I get the feeling Buck would be easy to like, his boo
Pete
Mar 18, 2015 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse
The Faraway Horses is a fine book by Buck Brannaman. I pulled this book from my training bookcase after recommending this book to a young natural horse girl.

While the writing style was not so eloquent, the content was spot on. I’ve said many times that horses are like people, and all people are not alike.

Part of the formative story was uncomfortable, the focus on natural horsemanship was described well with techniques and tricks which horse lovers can bond with their pasture friends.

While I ha
Crystal
Mar 08, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unpretentious is a word that came to my mind as I wondered what to think of this Wyoming real-deal American cowboy/horse rider/trainer. This is his auto-biography, written by his hand, in his words WITH the help of his long time, close friend Bill Reynolds, so it is very much like a personal letter. It's rather intimate. He tells of his sad childhood and first marriage and of his successes and losses in a likable story telling way.
Tiffany Elgan
Aug 18, 2015 Tiffany Elgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow- what a wonderful story. Follows the life of Buck Brannaman, also known as the horse whisperer. Buck lived a hard, hard life. He overcame amazingly hard odds and has become the best friend to every horse he ever worked with. I love how he paralleled working with horses and working with people. The difference between discipline and punishment. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Great, inspiring read. And all the horse info is fascinating as well.
Melissa
Nov 20, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at the request of my daughter who is a Buck fan and horse enthusiast. It is an honest book, the kind of memoir that retains the language of the storyteller (as opposed to being edited into anonymity). It's not just a book about how to train horses or treat horses. You could apply his principles to any animal. It's a book about respect and compassion for all living things, humans and animals.
Bonnie
Sep 21, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super engaging and a fun read. It would've been great if it had been indexed. Besides names and places wouldn't it be great to be able to find concepts like "lazy horses," or "carriage horses", "hooking on," or "laying down horses"? All the same, very enjoyable read.
Deb Richards
Nov 03, 2014 Deb Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the parts Buck shared about his life, all of his trials and tribulations as well as his successes. Just as in the movie, and witnessing him at a clinic, Buck embodies his salt of the earth, no nonsense way of being. Not being around horses though, I found his descriptions of horse training and such hard to follow. Didn't keep me from enjoying his tale though.
Courtney
May 10, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed reading Brannaman's discussion on discipline and replacing a negative behavior with a constructive alternative. I love when people talk about things they know about and love; it builds trust and it's nice to experience that with someone.
okyrhoe
Jul 01, 2013 okyrhoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, u-s-a
Despite the harrowing details, there is enough wry humor and understatement to balance out the mood of Brannaman's narrative. His bare-bones account of his painful formative years, from abuse to enforced orphanhood to the separation by his first wife Adrian, is marked by spare language, self-control, and even self-deprecation - trademarks of the American Midwestern temperament.
There is something almost quaint about his outlook on life and his trove of back country wisdoms, as if he harks back t
Madeline
Feb 01, 2014 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-books
I'm a huge fan of Buck Brannaman, and reading his autobiography was essential to me loving him even more.

I have a deep respect and appreciation for what the man does with horses, and I feel as if this book was an excellent way to illustrate both Brannaman's origins and his continued goal to help horses with "people problems".

While Brannaman did tend to use phrases over, I can't criticism him for that. He's a horseman first, an educator second and an author third. While his novel's technical writ
Sep 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buck Brannaman is one tough cookie. He’s been to hell and back (more than once, actually) and lived to tell about it. What’s more, he’s not only chosen to live his life for himself, but to save countless lives along the way— horse and human alike. Now that’s some damn good karma.

I’ve long idolized Buck— both as a horseman and as a person. Gentle and quiet but firm, an unimaginably hard worker, humble as can be, and he’s a horse lover. That is definitely my kind of humanoid! And this thoughtful,
Amber
Jun 10, 2012 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this novel somewhere between two and three stars. Overall it was a decent book but not exactly my genre, hate memoirs and really only read this for my book club. The writing was sort of choppy, but Buck's a Cowboy not a writer so I get that. However, I think the editing could have been done a lot better and that whoever did the editing for the novel didnt make the story of Buck's life all it could have been in better executed format. It really just jumped from one thing to the next with ...more
Awjtf
Oct 25, 2015 Awjtf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an amazing book! I don't even own a horse, but wished I could! This man's love of horses and his calling to help the horses and their owners is wonderful!
Lee
Aug 27, 2014 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First review I've truly written, but this book changed my outlook on not only how we work horses, but on life as a whole.
It is a wonderful, and emotional read.
Karen
May 11, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good biography of Buck Brannaman. He's done amazing work with horses and riders. I liked the details about horses he's worked with.
Marnie
Oct 21, 2015 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed in this book. Not sure what I expected but it felt a bit like a narcissistic review of his own life. Yeah it's great that he overcame a rough start in life and went on to become a well known horse trainer but reading about it was a bit dry.
Margo
May 10, 2015 Margo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about Buck Brannaman. I want to learn all I can about horses. This was an audio book, very well done.
Lena Goldfinch
Feb 06, 2014 Lena Goldfinch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
An interesting and engrossing read about an extraoridinary life, inspiring and heart stirringly good.
Meridythe Kelley
Aug 08, 2011 Meridythe Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars probably fair. Bad writing. Neat book. Not a horse book. Well, there are horses in it, but I'd call it more a great parenting book and a fine story.

Bias being I happen to agree down the line, which makes me wonder if all abused kids (or at least those of us that as adults reject violence as a method of raising kids and critters) arrive at the same ideas for handling other living creatures. Kept reading and poking husband in the arm saying, "Lookie here! He says the same thing!"

Half my en
Terry
Aug 23, 2015 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, interesting. I definitely like what he has to say about horses and his approach to training, teaching, living with & for horses.
Donna
Thank you Buck for sharing your adventures and your insights into horse/human behavior!
Lydia Aswolf
Feb 13, 2014 Lydia Aswolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at how one fathers dishonorable behavior created a more than honorable son.
Lynette
Jan 20, 2013 Lynette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am admittedly slightly enamored with Buck Brannaman because of his teaching and horse training style, but this book is excellent. It's well written and edited to be understandable, engaging and it flows well from Buck's experiences with horses to experiences with people. Much of the information contained here is presented in the documentary about his life, but there is more depth and further explanation of the why and the psychology behind his training methods and interactions with people. Eve ...more
Valerie Snow
Oct 25, 2013 Valerie Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book about life disguised as a book about working with horses. The author offers an incredible perspective on people, attitude, life, and animals that changes the way you will view everything. It is rare that I read a book that makes me feel this changed and pushes me to strive for better in the way that this book did. It's obvious that the author is not and seasoned writer, but the sheer honesty of the words gives it such credibility. Amazing stories, beautiful messages, and ...more
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Centered Riding
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the Sheiks and Bluebloods...and Won
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • How Good Riders Get Good: Daily Choices That Lead to Success in Any Equestrian Sport

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
A horse trainer and a leading practitioner within the field of natural horsemanship, which is a philosophy of working with horses based on the idea of working with the horse's nature, using an understanding of how horses think and communicate to train the horse to accept humans and work confidently and responsively with them. One of Brannaman's stated goals is to make the animal feel safe and secu ...more
More about Buck Brannaman...

“Discipline isn't a dirty word. Far from it. Discipline is the one thing that separates us from chaos and anarchy. Discipline implies timing. It's the precursor to good behavior, and it never comes from bad behavior. People who associate discipline with punishment are wrong: with discipline, punishment is unnecessary.” 51 likes
“As a rider, you must slowly and methodically show your horse what is appropriate. You also have to discourage what's inappropriate, not by making the inappropriate impossible, but by making it difficult so that the horse himself chooses appropriate behavior. You can't choose it for him; you can only make it difficult for him to make the wrong choices. If, however, you make it impossible for him to make the wrong choices, you're making war.” 21 likes