Start by marking “Lincoln Reconsidered” as Want to Read:
Lincoln Reconsidered

Lincoln Reconsidered

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Why did the North win the Civil War?

What accounted for Lincoln's success as a wartime statesman?

What factors brought about sectionalism during the pre-war decades?

What is the meaning of the Lincoln legend for contemporary America?

In light of new techniques for research in the social sciences, Professor David Donald presents his brilliant reinterpretations of Civil War issu
Published May 14th 1989 by Vintage (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln Reconsidered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln Reconsidered

Jim Gallen
Feb 22, 2015 Jim Gallen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Lincoln Reconsidered” is a collection of essays on the Civil War Era with a focus, naturally enough, on Abraham Lincoln. They reexamine several aspects of the Lincoln Lore, things that have become standard but deserve a new look. Author David Donald looks at how later politicians have tried to “Get Right With Lincoln” and claim him as their own, and he steps behind the unflattering portrait of Mary created by William Herndon. Donald studies the Abolitionists’ positions and motivations and prese ...more
Fenixbird SandS
"Mr. Donald was a historian of Abraham Lincoln+ Civil War who won Pulitzer Prizes for his biographies of the abolitionist statesman Charles Sumner + the novelist Thomas Wolfe." In honor of the late David Herbert Donald, Writer on Lincoln, Dies at 88
By WILLIAM GRIMES (NY Times May, 2009)
Donna Davis
I received this DRC free in exchange for an honest review. Thanks go to Net Galley and Open Road Integrated Media for letting me read it; Donald won the Pulitzer for his Lincoln biography, and I was sure this series of essays written for the purpose of dismantling myths surrounding the most revered president ever to occupy the White House would be hidden treasure rediscovered. What a crushing disappointment.

In the introduction, Herbert mentions that his section on abolitionists has drawn a grea
Memphistigergal
Apr 12, 2016 Memphistigergal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that I was very skeptical of this book. However, once I started this collection of essays, I was hooked. What was the most fascinating part was the realization that the political scene hasn't changed in several hundred years. This story about Lincoln and the events that followed his assassination were things I could easily see going on today. I feel that Lincoln was used as a political pawn for years after his death. In fact, the historical view of Lincoln was more attributed to fol ...more
Lynn Mackaben
Feb 04, 2015 Lynn Mackaben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is an amazing book! Written by the winner of 2 Pulitzer Prizes, the book peels away the myths surrounding Lincoln, one by one. I was astounded by how much trash I believed, indeed, was taught in school. The unsettling result is that I now have no concept of the real Lincoln because even Lincoln manipulated his image. I know what he was NOT.
This book is a "must read" for Lincoln/history/Civil War buffs!
John E
Jul 02, 2015 John E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and well presented essays on Lincoln and the Civil War. The essay on Western Literature didn't really fit with the others, but I didn't seem to mind. Requires a fair background in the War and substantial knowledge on Lincoln to understand why the essays were written and why they are important.
Billy
Feb 09, 2015 Billy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought-provoking, original and ground-breaking reappraisal of Lincoln and his times. These essays will enlarge and enrich oner's understanding of this crucial era in the American experience.
Carl Stevens
Dec 09, 2015 Carl Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novelists need to know Lincoln.
Brent
Mar 16, 2013 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of American History
Recommended to Brent by: the author
After reading Donald's fabulous one-volume biography of Lincoln, from late 1990s in mid 2000s, I bought this revision of his fifty-year old essays on Lincoln. He's pretty good! Kept my attention.
Highly recommended.
Nikolas Co
Lincoln Reconsidered - Essays on the Civil War Era by David Donald (1961)
tm
tm added it
Apr 30, 2016
Jan C
Jan C is currently reading it
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Stijn Zanders
Stijn Zanders marked it as to-read
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Graz
Graz marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Michael Spaulding
Michael Spaulding marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Sarah's Book Nook
Sarah's Book Nook marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kasi
Kasi rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Lars Russell
Lars Russell marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Harrison Recht
Harrison Recht marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Joseph Sullivan
Joseph Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Matt English
Matt English rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Majoring in history and sociology, Donald earned his bachelor degree from Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi. He earned his PhD in 1946 under the eminent, leading Lincoln scholar, James G. Randall at the University of Illinois. Randall as a mentor had a big influence on Donald's life and career, and encouraged his protégé to write his dissertation on Lincoln's law partner, William Herndon. T ...more
More about David Herbert Donald...