Start by marking “In the Company of Men: A Woman at the Citadel” as Want to Read:
In the Company of Men: A Woman at the Citadel

In the Company of Men: A Woman at the Citadel

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Nancy Mace entered the Citadel, the United States government had just recently overturned the ruling that women were not allowed to enter the "Corps of Cadets." Having grown up in a military family, Nancy was not unfamiliar with the harsh realities of military life. But upon entering those imposing gates. Nancy soon found out that she wasn't just fighting the traditio ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Simon Pulse (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In the Company of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Company of Men

Joe
Heroism and courage take many forms. Many feel that it's about saving the lives of someone, or climbing the highest mountain, or breaking the color barrier in baseball. To be sure, it is all of these things, but Nancy Mace's book showed a heroism and courage of a different sort. The daughter of a Citadel graduate, she always wanted to attend this school. At the time, it was an all-male military school with a rich tradition dating back before the Civil War. Nancy and three others were accepted by ...more
Vergeldt
this was a veryo boo for me, mostly because i always wanted to go to the citadel for colledge (not the female part). I got a chance to learn about all the aspects of the Citadel that I missed when I was there.
Other than that though the book was about one of the first females allowed into the CItadel Military Academy and about all of her struggles with being the only female in a group of males. Non yo mention the fact that her father was the comandant of the Marine Corps during this time so she
Sandy
In the late 1990's, Nancy Mace decided to follow in her father's footsteps and go to college at The Citadel, a prestigious military college. Many of the trials and tribulations she experienced during her first year at this institution are detailed in her account. Her courage and perseverance are obvious in the face of discrimination and resentment. It is much more an emotional retelling - how Nancy felt during that time - than it is a history of The Citadel or factual accounting of events. She d ...more
Emmie
Since I'm going to school in Charleston this fall, I thought I should have a little background on the town, the Citadel included. Interestingly enough, the author is my former teacher's daughter.
The book was both interesting and inspiring. Although I'm not much of a feminist, Nancy Mace's story does kindle a sense of feminine pride. Learning about the life of cadets was also informational and surprisingly absorbing.
Maria
Once upon a time... I wanted to go to a military academy. So I read this book. It was actually pretty interesting. Seeing as I've never been to a military school, I don't know how accurate it is, but it definitely wasn't boring. I didn't exactly like the author for parts of the book, but I gave it a 4 because it wasn't that bad. And it kept my attention.
Sean
I really liked this book. It is about the first woman to graduate from The Citadel. She is the daughter of a Citadel grad. Every day was hell but every day was a good day, meaning it was a step closer to getting the ring and graduating. I recommend this book to people interested in The Citadel.
Destina
An outstanding book which captures Nancy Mace's POV as one of the Citadel's first female graduates. Can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone who has ever wondered what it was like to be in that first group of women who integrated into the Citadel's all-male cadre.
Amy
An inspiring autobiography about the first female cadet in the Citadel. Humbling to hear about all that she went thru on a daily basis and yet was still able to focus on her long term goal and deliver high in both academics and athleticism.
Karin Tome
The author of the book was the first female graduate of the Citadel, South Carolina's unique military force (separate from every branch of the US Military). It's a fascinating peek inside the deep prejudices of the southern male world.
Caitlinleah
i don't know why this was on my list- or why i loved it so much, but there it is. i guess i'm just a sucker for "the first woman to" books.
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Tay Burton
Tay Burton marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Patel
Patel marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Lindsay Greenlee
Lindsay Greenlee marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Angels
Angels marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Kat Frament
Kat Frament marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Kylie
Kylie added it
Aug 20, 2014
Sam Farmer
Sam Farmer marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life Teaching Dementia Care: Skill and Understanding Dementia Care: Patient, Family, And Community Quality of Life in Long-Term Care