Start by marking “Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  483 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
At the age of eighteen, Aaron Cohen left Beverly Hills to prove himself in the crucible of the armed forces. He was determined to be a part of Israel's most elite security cadre, akin to the American Green Berets and Navy SEALs. After fifteen months of grueling training designed to break down each individual man and to rebuild him as a warrior, Cohen was offered the only p ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Ecco Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood of Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood of Warriors

Helen
Nov 01, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An American take on what it is like to be an Israeli commando.

This is a great read for anyone wanting to know what goes into the making of a warrior. The kind of guys who seek to become special forces are not like the rest of us; they're smart, tough, fearless, tightly controlled yet highly aggressive, seeking action, tremendously competitive.

Aaron Cohen is a troubled American rich kid who learns to love the discipline of the military. From the book's gut-wrenching opening at the scene of the h
Jack
Dec 16, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
Brotherhood of Warriors - Aaron Cohen - Book Review - Jack Paul

This book is amazing. It gives you the insight of what being in an Israeli counter-terrorism unit is like. This book shows you the physical and mental stress this job can cause you. The book is written by someone who was in one of the counter-terrorism units. Israel has one of the most elite counter-terrorism units in the world and this book shows you what it is like to be in one of this units.

The book talks about Aaron Cohen's life
Chuck
Sep 12, 2011 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Cohen's "A Brotherhood of Warriors" is a memoir of Cohen's service in the Israeli Special Forces. in the 1990's Cohen served in the Israeli Army's Syaret Duvdevan unit.

The Syaret Duvdevan is a counter-insurgency unit which operates in the occupied territories and targets Palestinian insurgents/terrorists. Unlike most United States Special forces, who are generalists, it is a unit with a very specialized area of expertise. The unit carries out operations, but is not responsible for gatheri
Jason
"Israeli-style tactics are the only proven method to successfully deal with terrorists on a tactical level." I couldn't put this book down the minute I started reading. The book is written from a pragmatist's point of view so there's no propaganda here (or I didn't perceive any). The author's life seems exciting and romantic at first, but ultimately he shows how the career of a warrior is de-humanizing and becomes an almost touching anti-war story. You don't have to worry if you don't know the c ...more
Elliotte Bagg
Nov 14, 2014 Elliotte Bagg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of this book is similar to books I've read by Navy SEALs and their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan, following the author's upbringing, the grueling training, the conflict the soldier participates in and the after effects of living this type of life. But this is set in Israel, and has a flavor you will not find among titles written by US soldiers. We may live in fear from 9/11, they live with terrorism as an every day reality that we cannot imagine. This book does a great job in describ ...more
Terri
Do not be baulked by this books unattractive cover, because it doesn't do justice to the story within.
This is the memoir of an American/Canadian/Jew (a mouthful I know) who leaves a silver spoon existence in Beverley Hills as a teen to join the Israeli Defence Force.
He knows what he wants long before he arrives in Israel. He wants to be a Special Forces soldier in one of Israel's leading counter terrorism units. The Duvdevan.
After some unforeseen hurdles, he makes it through one of the toughes
Gage Mcnally
Jan 23, 2011 Gage Mcnally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book after hearing Arron on an interview over the radio.The book Brotherhood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen is a inspiring nonfiction memoir about Aaron joining one of the most elite Israel armed forces,the commandos.The book not only shows you the life they live on the battlefield but what they deal with in there time off.The book immediately starts off with a normal day and a huge attack on a local mall.This book also doesn't just show the rough tough times but the times the ...more
Robb
Feb 25, 2015 Robb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains how Israel is so effective against terrorists.

I had already read the book American Sniper before reading this. In similar fashion this highly trained and motivated young man does what he does best and then has a difficult time adjusting back to ordinary life in the States. I always admire Israel for its effectiveness in combatting its Arab neighbors but here you get good explanations for why they are so aggressive.
Mikel Rhodes
Sep 21, 2015 Mikel Rhodes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every American, especially the politicians & policy makers!

This book makes more sense than anything I have yet to read concerning terrorism & how to counter terrorism. This book should be a must read for every politician & policy maker in this country and if any politician or policy maker objects then they should be fired and/or recalled.
Mauro
Dec 02, 2015 Mauro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una buona lettura. Malgrado non sveli particolari segreti l'autore riesce a descrivere la determinazione del popolo israeliano nel difendere la propria terra. Mi è piaciuto molto il finale quando mette a confronto le differenti percezioni di sicurezza tra chi vive in Israele ed i popoli occidentali.
Paula
Aug 23, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In light of what's happening in Gaza right now, this was a timely read. While it was basically a story of Cohen's time in the IDF, it felt more like a 'short military history of Israel'. There was also the fairly typical summary of how his experiences have affected his view on how America should deal with security. Engaging, informative and not anti-Palestinian, per se, this was a well-written, well-read (I had the audio book) story.
Mark Bandeira
Dec 01, 2014 Mark Bandeira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting account of Cohen's time while he served in the Israeli Armed Forces. I read it a few years ago, but some of the stories contained within this book have stuck to me. Definitely a good read and would surely read again.
Sergio
Jan 06, 2014 Sergio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un resoconto dettagliato e appassionante dell'addestramento e dell'operatività di un giovane ebreo americano in una unità d'elite dell'esercito israeliano impegnata nella lotta al terrorismo narrato in prima persona; le esperienze di un giovane alla ricerca della conoscenza di se stesso e del significato della propria vita attraverso prove fisiche, mentali e psichiche al limite della rottura, raccontate in un linguaggio e in un tono semplice, mai autocelebrativo, nella consapevolezza di essere r ...more
Jason
A great book. Less about any specific operations and more about Israeli special ops training, protocol and overall mindset. Particularly interesting having recently read Lone Survivor which had a lot on the US Navy Seal training. I couldn't put this down.
Momo Way
Jan 09, 2015 Momo Way rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Bennie
Apr 13, 2016 Bennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Gives a lot of insight into the Israeli special operations units, their training and the determination it takes to make the grade without giving away classified information. Aaron Cohen makes this a great read. The last chapter is spot on regarding political correctness
Tin Wee
About 2/3 of the book is about the author's moving to Israel and his training. Actual accounts of actual missions form about half the remaining book, and the remainder comprises his winding down and a critique of security mind-set in the US. I don't agree with the critique although I can see where he is coming from- the reason why Israel gets away with its security regime and the US (and many countries) can't, is because the threat environs are so different. Though disappointed that actual missi ...more
Major Doug
Listened to this book: not enough detail about training/tactics/techniques.
Jeffrey Wood
Apr 02, 2014 Jeffrey Wood rated it liked it
A decent, although short, read. I enjoyed the writing style and the subject matter kept me interested.
Arie Abaud
Sep 01, 2014 Arie Abaud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed information about an amazing army unit in Israel.
Vicky
Jan 21, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cool to hear about the intense training the author had to endure in order to join the elite Israeli special forces unit. He dedicated a great deal of the book to describing those events, and spent only a little bit of time on operations he went on after joining the unit. That's understandable though, as the unit is very secretive. The end of the book, where the author describes his company, sounds like he's trying to sell his services to the reader. Perhaps it would have been better if he ...more
Sentina
Sep 24, 2015 Sentina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Wow so impressive!
Richard
Mar 18, 2010 Richard rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a long time. I am an ex spec ops guy so I expect I am a little bias though. This book was well written, very informative and kept my attention from page 1-288. If you are looking for a good easy read and you are not afraid to learn something then I highly advise you to give this a try. I am not usually into the Bio or non fiction thing, but this book has changed my mind, I now may give a few more a shot.......Very well done Aaron!
Lynda
Feb 25, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book! It must be the tomboy in me but, I loved it. I heard Aaron Cohen interviewed on the radio and just had to go out and get the book. It's a fascinating story, I could not put the book down. I think it is a must read for all Americans. If nothing else read the last few chapters. We have a lot to learn about dealing with terrorists. What a guy! The training the Israeli Special Ops guys go through is unbelievable.I highly recommend this book.
James
An intense and at times grueling read; the author describes an incredibly tough and brutal military experience without false modesty but also without excess machismo, and also describes its psychological and emotional effects, acknowledging freely that at times it nearly broke him, as it broke or nearly broke many others.
One of the best descriptions I've read of life in the highest level of elite forces, on a par with Delta Force and Seal Team Six.
R.
Jul 05, 2012 R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best prose in the world, but the author certainly has the knowledge about the operations of the IDF's special forces in the Occupied Territories. Learning about Israel's counter-terroism from the pen of a former member of the special forces was thrilling and eye-opening. The concluding portion of the book in which the author contrasts counter-terrorism in Israel vs the United States is very sobering.
Foxglove
Aug 02, 2013 Foxglove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Incredible book, highly recommended and heart breaking. It's a terrifying and sad look at the price Israel pays each day, the beautiful young men who are screwed up by having to become warriors. I'm impressed with the dedication of Aaron and consider him extremely heroic. I came away from this book more proud to be Israel, but also more determined to do what I can to help end the conflict.
Vicky
Jul 08, 2011 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the author seems to have a kind of arrogant attitude in the beginning of the book, and he sounds like he's trying to turn the U.S. into the way Israel is in terms of preparedness for a terrorist attack. otherwise a good, interesting book. I like how he describes the training in detail, although i find it very brutal and sometimes abusive. but still a great read.
Tayvonne
Dec 17, 2012 Tayvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
READ THIS! One of the best special operations books I've read and the best one on Israeli special forces. I seriously want to read more on the other groups but I don't know where to start. This was as good as I could have wished because today's Sparta and my fascination with the nation is anywhere but over instead this just fed the flames.
Doug
Aug 03, 2009 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book. The author does a great job giving context to the fighting. That being said it is about how he struggled to accomplish what he set out to do - become a soldier in one of the most elite units possible. The strength and courage, do not give up attitude, and personal commitment the author holds to himself is extremely motivating.
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • In a Time of War: The Proud and Perilous Journey of West Point's Class of 2002
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • Making the Corps
  • My Jihad: The True Story of An American Mujahid's Amazing Journey from Usama Bin Laden's Training Camps to Counterterrorism with the FBI and CIA
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond
  • Exit Wounds - One Australian's War On Terror
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Warrior: An Autobiography