Start by marking “Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  40 reviews
At the age of eighteen, Aaron Cohen left Beverly Hills to prove himself in the crucible of the armed forces. He was determined to be a part of Israel's most elite security cadre, akin to the American Green Berets and Navy SEALs. After fifteen months of grueling training designed to break down each individual man and to rebuild him as a warrior, Cohen was offered the only p ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Ecco Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood of Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood of Warriors

Chuck
Aaron Cohen's "A Brotherhood of Warriors" is a memoir of Cohen's service in the Israeli Special Forces. in the 1990's Cohen served in the Israeli Army's Syaret Duvdevan unit.

The Syaret Duvdevan is a counter-insurgency unit which operates in the occupied territories and targets Palestinian insurgents/terrorists. Unlike most United States Special forces, who are generalists, it is a unit with a very specialized area of expertise. The unit carries out operations, but is not responsible for gatheri
Jason
"Israeli-style tactics are the only proven method to successfully deal with terrorists on a tactical level." I couldn't put this book down the minute I started reading. The book is written from a pragmatist's point of view so there's no propaganda here (or I didn't perceive any). The author's life seems exciting and romantic at first, but ultimately he shows how the career of a warrior is de-humanizing and becomes an almost touching anti-war story. You don't have to worry if you don't know the c ...more
Elliotte Bagg
A lot of this book is similar to books I've read by Navy SEALs and their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan, following the author's upbringing, the grueling training, the conflict the soldier participates in and the after effects of living this type of life. But this is set in Israel, and has a flavor you will not find among titles written by US soldiers. We may live in fear from 9/11, they live with terrorism as an every day reality that we cannot imagine. This book does a great job in describ ...more
Terri
Do not be baulked by this books unattractive cover, because it doesn't do justice to the story within.
This is the memoir of an American/Canadian/Jew (a mouthful I know) who leaves a silver spoon existence in Beverley Hills as a teen to join the Israeli Defence Force.
He knows what he wants long before he arrives in Israel. He wants to be a Special Forces soldier in one of Israel's leading counter terrorism units. The Duvdevan.
After some unforeseen hurdles, he makes it through one of the toughes
Helen
An American take on what it is like to be an Israeli commando.

This is a great read for anyone wanting to know what goes into the making of a warrior. The kind of guys who seek to become special forces are not like the rest of us; they're smart, tough, fearless, tightly controlled yet highly aggressive, seeking action, tremendously competitive.

Aaron Cohen is a troubled American rich kid who learns to love the discipline of the military. From the book's gut-wrenching opening at the scene of the h
Gage Mcnally
I decided to read this book after hearing Arron on an interview over the radio.The book Brotherhood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen is a inspiring nonfiction memoir about Aaron joining one of the most elite Israel armed forces,the commandos.The book not only shows you the life they live on the battlefield but what they deal with in there time off.The book immediately starts off with a normal day and a huge attack on a local mall.This book also doesn't just show the rough tough times but the times the ...more
Paula
In light of what's happening in Gaza right now, this was a timely read. While it was basically a story of Cohen's time in the IDF, it felt more like a 'short military history of Israel'. There was also the fairly typical summary of how his experiences have affected his view on how America should deal with security. Engaging, informative and not anti-Palestinian, per se, this was a well-written, well-read (I had the audio book) story.
Mark Bandeira
Very interesting account of Cohen's time while he served in the Israeli Armed Forces. I read it a few years ago, but some of the stories contained within this book have stuck to me. Definitely a good read and would surely read again.
Sergio
Un resoconto dettagliato e appassionante dell'addestramento e dell'operatività di un giovane ebreo americano in una unità d'elite dell'esercito israeliano impegnata nella lotta al terrorismo narrato in prima persona; le esperienze di un giovane alla ricerca della conoscenza di se stesso e del significato della propria vita attraverso prove fisiche, mentali e psichiche al limite della rottura, raccontate in un linguaggio e in un tono semplice, mai autocelebrativo, nella consapevolezza di essere r ...more
Tin Wee
About 2/3 of the book is about the author's moving to Israel and his training. Actual accounts of actual missions form about half the remaining book, and the remainder comprises his winding down and a critique of security mind-set in the US. I don't agree with the critique although I can see where he is coming from- the reason why Israel gets away with its security regime and the US (and many countries) can't, is because the threat environs are so different. Though disappointed that actual missi ...more
Major Doug
Listened to this book: not enough detail about training/tactics/techniques.
Jeffrey Wood
A decent, although short, read. I enjoyed the writing style and the subject matter kept me interested.
Arie Abaud
Very detailed information about an amazing army unit in Israel.
Vicky
It was cool to hear about the intense training the author had to endure in order to join the elite Israeli special forces unit. He dedicated a great deal of the book to describing those events, and spent only a little bit of time on operations he went on after joining the unit. That's understandable though, as the unit is very secretive. The end of the book, where the author describes his company, sounds like he's trying to sell his services to the reader. Perhaps it would have been better if he ...more
Richard
One of the best books I have read in a long time. I am an ex spec ops guy so I expect I am a little bias though. This book was well written, very informative and kept my attention from page 1-288. If you are looking for a good easy read and you are not afraid to learn something then I highly advise you to give this a try. I am not usually into the Bio or non fiction thing, but this book has changed my mind, I now may give a few more a shot.......Very well done Aaron!
Lynda
This is an excellent book! It must be the tomboy in me but, I loved it. I heard Aaron Cohen interviewed on the radio and just had to go out and get the book. It's a fascinating story, I could not put the book down. I think it is a must read for all Americans. If nothing else read the last few chapters. We have a lot to learn about dealing with terrorists. What a guy! The training the Israeli Special Ops guys go through is unbelievable.I highly recommend this book.
James
An intense and at times grueling read; the author describes an incredibly tough and brutal military experience without false modesty but also without excess machismo, and also describes its psychological and emotional effects, acknowledging freely that at times it nearly broke him, as it broke or nearly broke many others.
One of the best descriptions I've read of life in the highest level of elite forces, on a par with Delta Force and Seal Team Six.
R.
Not the best prose in the world, but the author certainly has the knowledge about the operations of the IDF's special forces in the Occupied Territories. Learning about Israel's counter-terroism from the pen of a former member of the special forces was thrilling and eye-opening. The concluding portion of the book in which the author contrasts counter-terrorism in Israel vs the United States is very sobering.
Elke
Incredible book, highly recommended and heart breaking. It's a terrifying and sad look at the price Israel pays each day, the beautiful young men who are screwed up by having to become warriors. I'm impressed with the dedication of Aaron and consider him extremely heroic. I came away from this book more proud to be Israel, but also more determined to do what I can to help end the conflict.
Vicky
the author seems to have a kind of arrogant attitude in the beginning of the book, and he sounds like he's trying to turn the U.S. into the way Israel is in terms of preparedness for a terrorist attack. otherwise a good, interesting book. I like how he describes the training in detail, although i find it very brutal and sometimes abusive. but still a great read.
Tayvonne
READ THIS! One of the best special operations books I've read and the best one on Israeli special forces. I seriously want to read more on the other groups but I don't know where to start. This was as good as I could have wished because today's Sparta and my fascination with the nation is anywhere but over instead this just fed the flames.
Doug
Terrific book. The author does a great job giving context to the fighting. That being said it is about how he struggled to accomplish what he set out to do - become a soldier in one of the most elite units possible. The strength and courage, do not give up attitude, and personal commitment the author holds to himself is extremely motivating.
Julie
This was a really good book. It literally transported me into his fear and the danger. I only found this book because of a report for school, but I quickly didn't even care about that, I cared about the story. It talked about an important part of Cohen's life in the most elite army in Israel, Duvdevan (meaning cherry; just a nickname)
Dustin Heap
Was expecting an account of his missions as a SF. I got a few but most of it was his story leading up to entry into the SF and then a whole bunch of SF best practices and almost a pitch on his company. Wasn't a fan.
Lorraine
In depth look at how the IDF picks and trains Special Forces units. This can be a shocking view into the reality of fighting international terrorism but a must-read for all who recognize that doing so involves extraordinary insight and national resolve when it comes to protecting the innocent.
Ramboleblanc
another example of insightful recent history, that is limited in bias, except by auther, but hey, he lived it!

learn difference b/t hammas and fatah, and how isrealies know that we are a joke when it comes to homeland securityt

read my freinds!
Tyler
A very good book, a gripping read, and the chilling realization that it is A TRUE STORY. I enjoyed this book, and i highly reccomend it to anyone who wants to know more about Israel, the IDF, the First and Second Intifadas, etc.
Debby
Jun 25, 2009 Debby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Debby by: Alexandra
This book describes the author's experience with the special forces in Israel. I enjoyed his stories, and it is good he gives some background historical information for those not familiar with it.
Gina
This is a great look into the elite special forces unit, Duvdevan, in Israel. I wanted to learn more about things like that, so it is fulfilling my wish completely. An easy and interesting read.
Bethany
Interesting book on the life of Israel, really helpful in understanding where this unique nation is coming from and how far they are willing to go to preserve themselves.
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • The Finishing School: Earning the Navy SEAL Trident
  • Making the Corps
  • In a Time of War: The Proud and Perilous Journey of West Point's Class of 2002
  • The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • My Jihad: The True Story of An American Mujahid's Amazing Journey from Usama Bin Laden's Training Camps to Counterterrorism with the FBI and CIA
  • Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion
  • Desperate Lands: The War on Terror Through the Eyes of a Special Forces Soldier
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • On Call In Hell: A Doctor's Iraq War Story
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
Slave Hunter: One Man's Global Quest to Free Victims of Human Trafficking Amazing Grace Tears of Blood: Surviving the Holocaust, The Horrible History of the Third Reich WIN32 Multithreaded Programming Children of the Holocaust: A History of Jewish Persecution