Start by marking “Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Surya Das illustrates how to develop authentic presence, how to connect to our own life experience, build deeper relationships, embrace life's lessons, as well as learn how to love what we don't like.

Everyone needs to feel connected, to love and feel loved, to reach out to others and communicate in order to overcome alienation, loneliness, and a feeling of being disconnect...more
Published December 11th 2001 by Harmony (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening the Buddhist Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening the Buddhist Heart

D'Arcy
As I am exploring other spiritual connections in my life I found this one very valuable. I love the idea that we are all connected, that each interaction is important and valuable, and that people are brought into our lives for reasons. I loved the thougths on meditation and connecting with the higher power. The little buddha in my did summersaults of joy when reading this!
Kate Halma
Lama Surya Das is a great writer - Jewish "boy" become Buddhist monk - top that!
Chavalita
Jul 14, 2008 Chavalita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone missing meaning and connection in your everyday life
Reading this book and what came of it was the continuation of a process which began about a year before and was put on pause for a short period. That "process" was enlightenment, spiritual seeking, growth, finding God, returning to love, etc.

This book shines a light on the power of connecting and relating with other human beings and on how enriched your life becomes when you do so. It is written with the simplicity that I think characterizes Buddhism and you most definitely don't have to be a B...more
Amanda
Although the book is well-written and contains some interesting ideas, I found it to be a bit too touchy-feely for my taste. Also, some of the ideas he puts forth I simply disagree with. I particularly dislike the idea of tonglen meditation (although he says many people are at first appalled by it). The message of this book could pretty much be summed-up by "ZOMG, LOVE SOLVES EVERYTHING!"
Christine Chapman
So great. I listen to this audiobook about once every 18 months. Allows you to reconnect to your life and your world reminding you how beautiful simple acts like walking a dog can be utterly joyful.
Stephanie
I didn't always like the author's style and chosen example stories, but this book contained enough personally important messages for me to feel I really got something out of reading it when I did.
Abby
his trilogy of awakening is a constant recommendation for anyone i talk to interested in buddhism. he writes with humour, humility and practices that are straightforward and life changing.
Tim Weakley
I find Das to be one of the more clearly spoken of the western Buddhist writers. For whatever reason he is able to put his ideas in a way that I understand on a few levels.
Bryan
I've been thinking a lot lately about my attitude towards others and right speech. This was the perfect book to read at this point in time.
Melissa
Easy to read and understand -not particularly my belief system- but it never hurts to add more understanding and acceptance into my life.
Cari
Apr 01, 2012 Cari added it
Absolutely love this book. Well written so that anyone can enjoy it, and learn from it. I recommend it to all #
Jeff
I like Lama Surya Das's books as he is a westerner and he breaks it down to a leval that westerners can easily grasp.
Lynn Freeborn
if I hadn't heard Everything in this book said better by Many Many others, I might have given it two stars.
Lois
This follows on very well from "Awakening the Buddha Within". Reads well however often you open it.
Arlette Wierenga
I love this book, for everyone out there who is interested in living an spiritual life.
Chris
Love Lama Surya Das. Find his book highly accessible and pertinent for my life.
Sonja Reid
A good overview of several traditions of Buddhism, with an emphasis on Tibetan Buddhism.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2007 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Excellent introduction to the basic Buddha teachings and how to live a spiritual life.
Michelle
Sep 09, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The purpose of Buddhism is to be happy, and this book helps with that goal.
Candace
This book kicked my ass. Chalk full of great stories and information.
Linus
Definitely a good book to want to move your life forward with.
Bean
if I could give this book six stars, I would!
Michelle
Excellent introudction to buddhism.
Asheesh
Asheesh marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • Cave in the Snow: Tenzin Palmo's Quest for Enlightenment
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The Western Lama.”

Surya has spent forty years studying Zen, vipassana, yoga, and Tibetan Buddhism with the great masters of Asia, including the D...more
More about Lama Surya Das...
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now