Blank-133x176
El Retorno de Merlin =...

Deepak Chopra

El Retorno de Merlin = The Return of Merlin

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Some legends endure the effects of time, reaching back to the mystery and the magic of a place and a people whom we know are part of who we are today. Camelot is such a legend and the mist shrouded fields, the ancient stone walls, the graceful figures of Arthur and Guinevere are the touchstones that connect us to purity of the heart and a sense of honor that knows no fear...more
Paperback
Published by Martinez Roca (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about El Retorno de Merlin = The Return of Merlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Retorno de Merlin = The Return of Merlin

Steve Cran
I normally love Arthurian fantasy and anything relating to the Celts and the Druids. This was sort of boring. Perhaps the reason behind the boredom was that the author was not focusing on storytelling but was rather using his story as a vehicle to transmit spiritual truths. The truths them self are not bad and it is most likely something we should listen to. According to the wizards way there is no reality and what we see is an illusion. Indeed that is correct but the salt shaker in front of me...more
Thalia
I really struggled with this book. I even took a "break" from it, hoping that might make a difference. The story is written well enough with mostly interesting characters, in fact I rather liked Melchoir. But it is the absolute butchering of the legend that I couldn't handle. It's a wonder why he bothered with the pretense of king Arthur and Merlin at all... Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a fresh twist on the tale, even modern versions, but at least it's recognizable. Oh and merlin drove m...more
Rachel
This was one of the books on my shelf that I had to read to decide whether to keep or give away before we move. This is definitely a keeper.

This novel follows events across centuries and retells the Arthurian legend in a way that all of us can relate to. Sure there are wizards and magic and time-travel, but at the very heart, this book is about the battle between good and evil that has always raged and continues in our world today. It's a book about remembering who we are and honoring the goodne...more
Kim
Though I enjoyed the prologue of the story, I just couldn't get involved in anything beyond it.
Xavier Guillaume
Aug 11, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I'm a huge Deepak Chopra fan, and I love his philosophies, but this book somehow fell flat. What was most unappealing was the modernized twist of King Arthur being transported to modern day England. Perhaps the book would have been good if this was done right, but by putting the story in a modern setting, the book simply didn't feel magical anymore. The very beginning is promising as it takes place during Arthurian times. I love the whole story with Merlin and his apprentice and Mordred getting...more
Dennis
Good book. A world into magic, where the two forces (those of good and evil) fight each other in a twisting and turning tale. The characters are all experiencing their piece of magic and how it all fits together in the whole. For them reality gets different layers, and what is real and not merge into each other. Deepak has done well on this novel.

The story twists around the battle between Merlin and Mordred. Mordred is the bastard son of King Arthur, and destined to make his father pay for what...more
Stacey
This book started off amazing, I was instantly drawn into the story and the author's spin on the traditional King Arthur legend. It almost had a Harry Potter like feel to it where the world created was our own but with instances of unexplained magic and mysteries that somehow were believable the way the author conveyed them. As I approached the last few chapters of the book I wondered how the author would tie up all of the loose ends and get the lesson across that he was so very clearly trying t...more
Lucya
Feb 11, 2014 Lucya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an imagination
I kept passing this book when I went to my bookstore sheerly because it was fiction. I decided to take a chance and read it. I could not put it down! OMG It is so well written. Keeps you wanting to pick it up and see what happens next. I highly recommend this book.
Doris
It is hard to rate this story, which I almost did not pick up because of the author. I am familiar with Chopra from his spiritual writings, and did not feel that this would be a good read.

However, it surpassed my expectations, pulling me into a story of a modern Camelot with resurrected knights and knaves. Unfortunately, this entire theme, from Arthur and the perpetual Quest and continuous returns (rebirths) has been redone so many times that I am not sure any author could have done Arthur justi...more
Valeria
Feb 11, 2014 Valeria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valeria by: wanted to read more by Chopra
This book was amazing! I could stop there. It is a thick novel and so interesting. In a fictional sense it is so easy to relate the incidents in this book to real life. The analogies are sheer genius. Deepak is the writer of this age.
Cynthia Egbert
If you love the Arthurian legends and I can appreciate a good mystical novel with tons of symbolism. So, as scholarly as this book can sometimes get, I did enjoy it. But one almost needs to have an intimate knowledge of the Arthurian legends, I think to appreciate it, on that level because the characters of those legends only make brief appearances really, and if you do not know their back story, you might not catch all the nuances of this work.
Tim Britton
This is an incredible book. I haven't been much into reading fantasy in years, although I have always been a fan of Merlin, King Arthur, and Camelot, Fantasy books failed to hold my attention for every story has been told and retold in one way or another. I have to be honest, it was Deepak Chopra's name that drew me to this book, and then seeing Merlin's name on the same cover, I had to check it out. And I am so glad I did. What a truly wonderful book for fantasy lovers, and spiritual seekers al...more
Jessie
In the awkwardly self-conscious introduction Deepak Chopra attempts to convince us that this isn't just a fantasy novel but a serious spiritual allegory of moving beyond the "20th-century dark age of war, pollution, predation, and hatred".

Skip all that and just enjoy the fantasy novel, easily as good as any Harry Potter book. Its almost as good as Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series.
Karen the Comic Seller
In some ways, I really like this book - anything to do with the Arthurian Mythos is on my must read list. But in too many places, it got a little confusing...while time runs forward for us mere mortals, it runs backwards for wizards (like Merlin & Mordred) Until the last few chapters, when it seems it runs in all directions....Not sure if Chopra lost sight of the characters, the plot line, or if I just got lost and missed a few turns. Much of it was very good. Not satisfied with how it ended...more
Behnoosh E
هر آدمی در اعماق درونش، ماردرد و مرلین و آرتور رو یکجا داره... بسته به خودشه که بخواد کدوم رو بیدار کنه و به پیروزی برسونه
Julie Laporte
Eeeehhhhh....I'm always a sucker for a Camelot story. The idea behind this book was GREAT....the "New Camelot" in modern times, meaning our favorite Camelot characters are reincarnated for their final (?) battle between Merlin and Mordred...but the execution of this novel is icky. I really enjoy Chopra's flow of words in all of his works, but imo, he needed some serious help with the outline/plot for this book.

Philosophically good...I won't expand, as I don't want to spoil it if you decide to re...more
Schimen Scott
Mixed feelings. It had a strong start but the finish was weak. The storytelling was splotchy but, the spiritual truths were insightful. As the wizards profess that what we see is an illusion and when we look at reality we see our reflection as reality is nothing but a mirror of our expectations. I like that truth.

I thought it had potential as I read on but, was disappointed that the ending fell flat. The message of hope was that I had hoped it was better.
Eve (Bee) Beltane
Thoroughly enjoyed this winding tale, it's strong characters and a fresh new take on Arthurian legend. The story intensified, drawing me in as I went deeper into the tale. Deepak put a lovely touch of spirituality into the story which I found fitting because in that period, spirit was honoured more so than in today society. The ending was an invitation to look inside yourself for spirit, courage and truth and that this, as is life, a never-ending quest.
Janice
If you are fascinated with the Arthurian Legend, as I am, then this is a great book to add to your reading collection. Chopra sets his tale in modern times where there is much chaos. Surely a great and wise wizard should materialize in this time of need. This is a book of hope and courage in a time of darkness without being hokey. The characters are well drawn and the plot keeps you reading.
Curl up in front of a fire for a good read.
Amy
I am on a quest myself for better understanding and self awareness so my friend recommended Deepak Chopra. I love the Arthur mythology and was able to follow this book fairly easily. The insight into people was intriguing and illuminating. I am currently reading another of his books (The Way of the Wizard) as a way of staying in the Merlin mindset. They are good companion books but were not written as such (as far as I know).
Ron
I don't know why I didn't like this book, but I just decided to stop reading on page 92 and don't plan on going back. It really should be a book I would like, but there it is.

I just finished reading Chopra's book, Jesus, and thought I would like another of his fiction books, but this isn't the book for me.

I am still planning on reading Buddha and let you know if it is Buddha is better than Merlin.
Jess
I tried to really like this book. I enjoy most of Chopra's books, but this one took me forever to read (which is even more surprising since I devour Arthurian-related books). It was just... boring. It almost was like Deepak ran out of plot towards the end and just summed up everything as quickly as possible in the last three chapters to meet a publishing deadline or something.

It was, overall, just okay.
Deborah Lighthall
I was curious about what a novel would be like by Deepak Chopra. Generally speaking, an interesting spin on the classic story of Camelot and I liked most of the characters. However, while there is the wizardry you would expect from the title, there is also an Eastern religious/mystical component that - for me - distracted from the story. Others might not mind it so much. Try it if you're curious....
D Fields
I love love love Deepak Chopra but this book was like a tying your brain in a tangle. Many of his stories are - but most come out w/ such a superb lesson in the end the headache you earned trying to stick with it is totally worth it. Not so w/ Merlin. I wanted to drown all the characters and I didn't learn a thing. Still I love Chopra. He's a rock star it can't be denied.
Tammie
Hhhhmmmmm.....this one was a toughy for me. It is an interesting twist on continuing the King Arthur tale, but I had a hard time getting into the story. It jumps all over the place. I'm glad I finished it, but I do not think I will be seeking any other Deepak Chopra fiction. The story is deep, just not my cup of tea. The writing is beautiful, though.
Gabriel Ruata
I got hooked in the Prologue, thats the main reason why I read this book, and because I do like Chopra's point of view of life and re-encarnation and his spirituality and all that, but it took me more than 5 months to finish it, and it was not my favorite type of book. There was though some random pages with nice thoughts....
Steven L Campbell
I am always looking for fantasy books, and I happened upon this book back in 1996 while on such a search. Friends who had read it were divided as to whether this new tale on the Arthur legend was a good read. Some were put-off by the idea that it was written by a New-Ager. My verdict: A good story.
X-topher Budz
Deepak Chopra, writing a modern-day Arthurian fantasy? This book was vaguely entertaining, and I was looking for easy reading. The ending was really shoddy though--this was where Chopra really tried to weave in the element of spirituality at the last minute, but failed.
Janet
Think Camelot meets the Matrix. Apparently, Merlin, Lancelot, Gunievere, Mordred, and the rest of the gang have been reborn over and over and over again. Now, all the sudden, they’ve got to fight to the finish. Vague, confusing, and no disernable end.
  • Merlin
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • The Serpent and the Grail (Arthor, #4)
  • The 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic and Lore
  • Avalon: The Return of King Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #6)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • The Death of King Arthur
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1)
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur
  • Merlin's Bones
  • The Hedge of Mist (The Tales of Arthur, #3)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both...more
More about Deepak Chopra...
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine

“The worst curse to befall anyone is stagnation, a banal existence, the quiet desperation that comes out of a need for conformity. ” 153 likes
“I was very afraid at the beginning, until Master told me that pain isn't the truth; it's what you have to get through in order to find the truth.” 126 likes