Start by marking “ChildCraft, Poems of Early Childhood” as Want to Read:
ChildCraft, Poems of Early Childhood

ChildCraft, Poems of Early Childhood (Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1988)

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Published 1949 by Field Enterprises, Inc. (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about ChildCraft, Poems of Early Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ChildCraft, Poems of Early Childhood

Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 18, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
I grew up with this (these) books, my parents bought the set in 1956. I learned to read in the first grade when I was 6 (no one had bothered to give me any guidance till then, my parents weren't readers, I mean they could read it just wasn't their choice of leisure time activities.). It was also in the first grade that I was shown how to "sound out words" (I don't know if children are routinely taught "phonics" today or not). Once I could sound out words, there was no stopping. I read everything ...more
Margaret
Oct 29, 2014 Margaret marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, poetry, childcraft
This is the first volume and part of the 1984 edition of Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984. It is not the same material as the new Volume 1 in the 1988 edition, entitled, Once Upon a Time. While the poems in 'Poems and Rhymes' are mostly included in 'Once Upon a Time', some is removed, and the bulk of 'Stories and Fables is combined' into 'Once Upon a Time' as well.

Childcraft The How And Why Library 1984 by Childcraft International
Melinda
Jun 20, 2010 Melinda rated it it was amazing
I have the 1961 set; it is excellent for its poetry and story volumes and for its music, art, and crafts volumes. The science volumes are too outdated to be any use. The illustrations in the poetry and story volumes are superb; I love them. I also love the selection of poems chosen. My favorite volume is number 2. If you have the opportunity to get it, do!

There is one volume of child psychology (number 15) that I found useless. But then, I was raised by wonderful parents and a lot of Dr. Dobson
Kristie
Mar 11, 2008 Kristie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with children
If you ever have the immense pleaseure of getting your hands on one of these, do it!!!! I am amazed at how the illustrations take me right back to when I was a very young child having these read to me, or pouring over the pages enjoying the illustrations before I could read. My children now have all had it read to them and I see my oldest reading it to herself more than once a week. This is impressive because we have an extensive children's library. It is a sweet, simple, pure and beautiful book ...more
Dorotheen Strass
Nov 06, 2012 Dorotheen Strass rated it it was amazing
My 1949 set of Childcraft books are one of my most treasured possessions. My grandmother read me poems and stories from them, three of my cousins borrowed them and enjoyed them, I read from these wonderful books to my children, and I have also read from them to my grandchildren - three generations and I hope someday we can make it 4 generations. They have travelled with me to the United Kingdom and lived here with me for 37 years. Books one and two were my favourites and I have fond memories of ...more
Ruth
May 21, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I treasured this since I was very small. The original got lost during shipping (when I was moving to California and shipping a few things from my childhood home). I was heartsick about it; luckily, my kind sister-in-law found another version online and purchased it for me. All the love I have for poetry came from THIS book. It's as dear to me as any book I've ever owned (I'm still sick about the loss of the original). But it's a treasure no matter how you find it.
Alanna
Aug 06, 2008 Alanna rated it it was amazing
We had this set when we were children and I remember my mom reading to us and later reading them myself. As a young child I especially liked the Mother Goose rhymes, poems, and fairy tales. I think my sister still has this set. I will have to ask her as I would like to see them again and bring back the memories.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent selection of poems and beautiful illustrations by a variety of artists. I am currently sharing this book with my own daughter, but I remember flipping through the pages of this book when I was small. It held such magic for me then and I see my daughter feeling the same way.
Sherry
This set is one of my most precious treasures. My mother read to me from this set of books when I was little, and I read to my grandchildren from them. I remember the pictures and the delicious thrill of stories like "Tom Tit Tot."
Sarah (Just One More Chapter)
Jul 29, 2013 Sarah (Just One More Chapter) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4+
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this book as a kid, reading and rereading the poems. It's a really fun collection of poems, and it contains a large variety of different kinds, including riddles from around the world.
Tamartime
Jun 29, 2013 Tamartime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My very favorite childhood book, in the 70's. From the ages of about 3 to 8, I would look at this book for hours. Now, I collect copies of it for my children.
Diane Cox
Diane Cox marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
DAVID
DAVID marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
J Robert
J Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Heloise
Heloise is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2016
Ann Kirkwood
Ann Kirkwood rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Elena
Elena is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Janis Delao
Janis Delao marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Alicia Dempsey
Alicia Dempsey rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Kathely
Kathely rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Feb 06, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Sylvia9523aol.Com
Sylvia9523aol.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Man
Man added it
Dec 13, 2015
Dolorescollims
Dolorescollims marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Cathy Waltemyer
Cathy Waltemyer marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
poem from world book's childcraft 1 5 Jul 13, 2010 12:55AM

Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1988 (3 books)
  • Once Upon a Time (Childcraft: The How and Why Library 1988, #1)
  • Stories and Poems (Childcraft: The How and Why Library 1988, #3)