Dinosaur Roar! (Picture Puffins)

Dinosaur Roar! (Picture Puffins)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,350 ratings  ·  114 reviews
Dinosaurs of every shape and size race, roar, and stomp through this colorful book of opposites. And where are all these silly-looking creatures off to? A dinosaur picnic, of course! These prehistoric pranksters and the simple, playful rhymes that accompany them will delight children everywhere. Dinosaur Roar! is an entertaining way to introduce preschoolers to the concept...more
Published April 15th 2002 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1994)

Aleha Begum
This is a picture book about dinosaurs, but this is not what it’s only about. The author uses adjectives to describe the dinosaurs in the book. The reader realises that dinosaurs come in all different shapes and sizes, strengths and weaknesses and heights and lengths. The message at the end is that ‘all sorts of dinosaurs’ eat their lunch, which was not predictable in the book.

This is a great book to read to young children during a PSHE lesson as it shows diversity with animals and it can be re...more
Cuong Truong
WIDER READING FOCUS: Adjectives/Opposites/Dinosaurs
"Dinosaur Roar" introduces its readers to the beasts you would encounter in the prehistoric era. Beautifully illustrated with depth of colour. It doesn't actually name the dinosaurs but the drawings are based on the real things including the infamous Tyranosaurus Rex and the more gentle Diploducus. The text is based on the concept of introducing adjectives such as big, small, fast and slow and utilises rhythm and rhyme in the phrases.

Target: a b...more
Morgan
PB 50!!!!: THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE BECAUSE IT TELLS KIDS ABOUT EMOTIONS. IT HAS A GRUMPY DINOSAUR AND A SWEET DINOSAUR. YOU CAN INCORPORATE FEELINGS INTO THIS BOOK. ITS ILLUSTRATIONS ARE SO COLORFUL TOO.
Kathryn
A fun little book, probably best geared to the preschool set. Entertaining illustrations of contrasting dinosaurs--like dinosaurs roar, dinosaurs quiet, etc. Very colorful and a quick read.
Lorraine Der
Shanna Gonzalez
This is one of those rhythmic, rhyming, funny books with emphasis on adjectives, this time describing the characteristics of brightly-colored, extremely funny dinosaurs. Unlike Byron Barton's Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs, this one emphasizes humor rather than scientific accuracy, it's unclear which historical beasts these animals represent. Their descriptions are simpler, presented in predictable, rhythmic text: "dinosaur sweet, dinosaur grumpy, dinosaur spiky, and dinosaur lumpy." On the final page the...more
Vicki
I have to say I don't believe there are that many great read aloud picture books for dinosaurs! I have been doing story times for many years now and probably dinosaur story time annually.

I used this book for Friday's PreSchool Class at the library in place of another that was not successful for the Tuesday group. It is simple, the illustrations are colorful. The text is short, so once again I had the listeners (adults too) repeat the 2 word phrases after me on each page. I used theatrical voice...more
Karina Arroyo
I found this book to be fun and perfect for children in kindergarten and the first grade. It was not a hard read and i thought it was perfect for teaching children about dinosaurs, their different characteristics, and some of the things they do. The book basically described a dinosaur and then compared it to its total opposite. However, many of the times i found it to be very funny in its comparisons. Like when it compared a tiny dinosaur to a really fat one. The book overall can be really fun a...more
Lyndsey
I have no idea why this book is such a huge hit with my pink and purple loving, princess obsessed little girls. My oldest found it at the library and after crying because we had to return it, I found it online for her. The pictures are cute and the rhymes are fine. The book highlights opposites and flows well. I would have never thought to pick it out for my kids, but they love love love it. I'm surprised that even my three year old who typically likes longer stories still loves to pull this one...more
Leonie
Our eldest is 19. This was her favourite book as a tiny tot. (view spoiler)

I'm slightly concerned that I can still recite the first couple of pages, at least 17 years later. It probably gives you some idea of how many times I read that book to her.

The descriptive adjectives are great. The pictures are wonderful, and beautifully colourful. Despite the amount of times I read it, I still liked it. (Which, believe me...more
Kristen
I used this in all three of my story times (baby, toddler, and preschool) yesterday and it was one of those rare books that seemed to go over really well for all the age ranges. The babies liked the big pictures and rhythm, toddlers seemed to enjoy the subject matter and some of the silly aspects of the book (grumpy and slimy dinosaurs, especially), and while it might have been a tad too simplistic for the preschoolers I think they still enjoyed the art and were engaged. Overall, definitely a bo...more
Shelby Dennis
This book has colorful pictures and all the different dinosaurs in which is good for a learning tool. It rhymes, keeps children engaged, and shows the foods each animal eats. I think this book is good for children 4-7.

Learning experience: Bring several different textile items in the class and talk about the various textures that are all around. Blindfold the children and have them feel each item and see if they can distinguish between the certain textures that are in the book like slimy, lumpy,...more
Krystal
This is the first book Ivan could recite to me as I turned the pages. I love that it is simple, yet has a rhyme pattern and talks about opposites. The illustrations are clever and cute, and the dinosaurs are fun with out being scary. (It shows the meat eating dinos eating bones instead of other dinos, etc.)
Warnie B.
Great dinosaur book for young kids--lots of opposites, lots of noises to make, and wonderful illustrations make this a perfect choice for toddlers and preschoolers. Always a success at story time, and one I've never minded reading over and over again.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Fun dinosaur book for up to 1st grade. Does a great job teaching opposites. The dinos are colorful and there are enough represented to interest the kids. A fun side game is to spot the little dinosaur "guide" throughout the book.
Jeanette Shorey
Great story to read to children and add movement or instruments. The pictures are vivid and there are tons of Sound Words to add voices or instruments. See my website at www.kidzsongzforlearning.com for more information!
Laura Madsen
Fantastic illustrations demonstrate opposites. My favorite is "Dinosaur clean," a turquoise-and-peach therapod filing its nails and looking with dismay at "Dinosaur slimy," a goofy green sauropod dripping mud and gunk.
Candice
This was one of Nathan's favorites between a year and two years. I love how it's an opposite book full of unusual opposites (tall and short is nice, but an expanded vocabulary is a bit more fun. Love it!
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Dinosaur roar is a book about dinosaurs and opposites.There is "dinosaur sweet, dinosaur grumpy, dinosaur spiky, and dinosaur lumpy"
The book exposes and teach children about opposites.
Becky B
Oct 08, 2012 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning readers, Dinosaur lovers, Elementary LA teachers
A favorite book with kindergarten students. They love the drawings of the dinosaurs. The simple text is great for beginning readers. Also a great book to use when teaching verbs.
Heather
J loves this book so much! I read it with SERIOUS inflection and he has it memorized. We recite it to each other during the day. Awesome.
Kelly
Just inherited this from the lovely nephew, Bea loves this being read with some silly voices. A good addition to our shelves.
Kelly
Illustrated by the authors. An excellent, easily-interactive book for storytime with fun illustrations. Always a big hit!
Teacher 007.5
A cute rhyming book featuring dinosaurs of all sizes. Children are introduced to the concept of opposites.
Erin
Teaches opposites through rhythmic, rhyming simple text. A good bit of vocabulary for little ones as well.
Anna
I like a book that includes the oft-overlooked slimy dinosaur.
Méadhbh
I LOVE THIS BOOK IT WAS MY BEDTIME STORY WHEN I WAS 2!!!!!
Charlie Beck
An opposites book about what dinosaurs do.
Lauren
I like the simple rhymes about opposites.
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Board Book
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Hello, Day!
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Clip-Clop
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • Lots of Dots
  • Higher! Higher!
  • The Seals on the Bus
Children's book illustrator, author and paper engineer. Creator of many books including Dinosaur Roar!, Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Galore, The Christmas Bear, One Bear One Dog, A Number of Dinosaurs, Truck Jam and Big Dig.

Find Paul Stickland on Google+

Find Strange Store on Google+

Pop Up Paper Blog

Paul Stickland Blog

StrangeStore Blog

DinosaurStore Blog

Paul Stickland Website

Pop Up Pape
More about Paul Stickland...
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs Dinosaur Stomp! Truck Jam: A Pop Up Book Big Bug, Little Bug One Bear, One Dog