Start by marking “The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion” as Want to Read:
The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion

The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  460 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The complete official guide to every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, now updated to include all four of the major motion pictures which have starred the Next Generation crew.
Paperback, Revised, 372 pages
Published January 7th 2003 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Trek

John Yelverton
Jan 02, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Fantastic companion that is even better than many online sources.
J.W. Braun
Nov 10, 2011 J.W. Braun rated it really liked it
This guide is well written and includes photos for every episode, but it's not as in depth as it could be. The poorer episodes have the least information. It seems that the worse an episode is, the less the author wants to draw attention to it. The movie information is pretty good.

One last note: this book was originally published following the fifth season of TNG, and subsequent editions added information as the series moved forward (ultimately producing seven seasons and four feature films.) Un
Adam
Feb 17, 2013 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Star Trek, and I really enjoyed revisiting TNG episodes I haven't thought about or seen in ages. This book provides a different perspective on the show, discussing the special effects and technical challenges, script-writing, and alternative story ideas that never saw the light of day. It's a fascinating look at how one of the best shows on television operated, and a glimpse at ideas that might have been.

That said, there is one major flaw that prevented me from rating it higher
Mauri
Jan 15, 2013 Mauri rated it it was amazing
I love this book. My dad had the first version sitting on his coffee table when I was little, and I read it so much that he picked me up the newer version (with all seven seasons and Generations) for a birthday.

This is the show companion that I compare to all other companions before I buy them. I love the plot summaries for each episode and the introduction for each season. My favorite feature, however, that I have never found in other companions, is the "behind-the-scenes" details for each epis
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 31, 2012 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It's not quite to the level of the DS9 Companion, as it's missing the warts-and-all opinions from the writers and producers, and the final two seasons have larger analysis sections than the first five seasons.

Overall, this book is a bit more restrained, especially on the movie front. But it's not "too" restrained...which means we still end up with a fine record of The Next Generation, from the moment of its birth, to it's ground-breaking run on TV and the silver screen. Well worth the read.
Rich Meyer
Feb 01, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The first edition of this book is pretty good, though it tends to have a lot of tangental photos for the episodes. A bit too much background info in places, as well; I could really care less about behind-the-scenes politics and that sort of thing. A one-paragraph synopsis does not warrant three-quarters of a page of background information. Still, it at least gives a lot of character information and covers the entire series, up to the Star Trek Generations movie.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1208404.html[return][return]Does the duty of a book like this, each episode getting a very brief plot, cast and crew summary and a slightly longer behind-the-scenes commentary, with a bit more commentary of each of the seasons
Martin
Sep 15, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, non-comics
This was a great find for me when I was into ST:TNG all those years ago. It's really in-depth and has lots of tidbits of information that enthusiasts of the show will appreciate. Really great gift idea for fans of the show.
Giuseppe
Jan 04, 2015 Giuseppe rated it really liked it
A fun recap of TNG episodes. Some interesting tidbits. They could have dug a bit deeper in terms of rating or evaluating the episodes. But nonetheless, a fun recap of all of the episodes.
Ron Cole
Sep 02, 2011 Ron Cole rated it liked it
Someone should have proofread this before it was published. Not as good as the Deep Space 9 Companion. Still, it's always good to get a little extra Star Trek!
Joseph Matthews
Aug 07, 2012 Joseph Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to have while watching the show. Provides notes and information on every episode in production order.
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
May 13, 2008
Mythie
Mythie rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2010
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Loyd Auerbach
Loyd Auerbach rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Meikoningin
Meikoningin rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Mark Weller
Mark Weller rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Kevin Lavelle
Kevin Lavelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2007
Thom Langan
Thom Langan rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2011
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2010
April
April rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Teddii
Teddii rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Wealhtheow
Jul 29, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
An invaluable resource to achieving true dorkitude.
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2012
Ami_Ven
Ami_Ven rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
ChronicGeek Emma
ChronicGeek Emma rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2010
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • The Continuing Mission
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Technical Manual
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek Voyager Companion
  • Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • All Good Things...
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • The Way of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Star Trek 2
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • Dark Mirror
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)