Start by marking “A King's Ransom” as Want to Read:
A King's Ransom

A King's Ransom

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  695 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The author of five bestselling novels, including Under Cover of Darkness and The Pardon, James Grippando writes compulsively readable thrillers that could be drawn from today's headlines, only better. Now his trademark gifts are wonderfully demonstrated in a taut new tale of intrigue that will keep you guessing to the final, breathtaking scene.

Just two years out of law sch
Published October 1st 2002 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A King's Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King's Ransom

Kevin Bachovchin
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin Bachovchin rated it it was amazing
This book is about Nick Rey's father Matthew being kidnapped in Colombia. This book describes the relationship between the father and the son, Matthew's desperate attempts to save his father, and the struggles of Matthew and the other people who were kidnapped. I really got into the book, cared very much about the characters, and felt outraged at times, which is the sign of a good book. James Grippando is a very versatile author, able to write well about many different subjects. I actually read ...more
Robin
Jun 10, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
a fast paced novel about a kidnapping in Columbia. interesting and believable
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, thriller
Matthew Ray is working on his fishing boats in Columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. Despite killing one of them, Matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in Columbia. His son, lawyer Nick Ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the FBI and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. They accuse Nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons ...more
Deb
matthew ray is working on his fishing boats in columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. despite killing one of them, matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in columbia. his son, lawyer nick ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the fbi and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. they accuse nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons ...more
Lara
Jun 01, 2009 Lara rated it liked it
Fundamentally I like this book. There were just a couple of things that did not work for me. For example...I don't know any 25 - 26 year old man who's first reaction to finding out his MOTHER is pregnant is...well, I guess you did have me at 18! WHAT?! No freak out...no "oh my" my parent still have sex?! That did not work for me. As the story moved on I understood why she was pregnant and how it really added to the conflict and motivation in the story. But....his reaction was all wrong. It took ...more
Daniel
May 04, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
An American business man is kidnapped in Columbia. The victim took out ransom insurance, but the kidnappers seem to know all the details of the policy. The victims son runs into problems when he goes to the insurance company and from there the story begins.

The son is a lawyer, none too bright, but he still takes on the insurance company, his employer and the FBI. Of course there's a girl, in fact a couple of them and this all makes for interesting reading.
Evelyn
Mar 03, 2016 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When his father is kidnapped in Columbia, attorney Nick Rey collaborates with an insurance investigator since the company that holds the kidnap policy won't pay the $3,000,000 ransom.

Another fast-paced, solid, entertaining legal thriller. Interesting and believable characters. Has a realistic look at government bureaucracy. Highly recommend.
Kelly
Jul 19, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The story was completely captivating from the very beginning. I stayed up until 4 AM one night because I just had to know what happened. My sleep is very valuable with two young children so the book definitely deserves 5 stars if I lose sleep over it.

I loved the touch of "lawyer" mixed with adventure and love story! It was perfect. I sometimes don't really like lawyer books because it gets to mundane. This book was a perfect mix.

I loved how the author bounced back and forth b
Barry Flanigan Sr.
Mar 06, 2016 Barry Flanigan Sr. rated it it was amazing
Grippando is new to me and now have read several of his books. Enjoy the Florida location and main characters. Glad to have come upon this exciting author.
Rebekkila
Jun 09, 2015 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mailmanr5
Sep 20, 2014 Mailmanr5 rated it really liked it
A terrific thriller. I saw the twist coming but not the way it happened.
Jon Nielson
Jul 05, 2014 Jon Nielson rated it liked it
Quick fast read by Grippando. Fun, but not great.
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing
Loved it , read when it first came out
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Nick Rey is climbing the ladder at a huge law firm in Miami. His Dad is a partner in a small fishing company. They aren't close. And then his Dad is kidnapped on a trip to Columbia and everything changes. This is one of the best books I've read in a while. The author swaps chapters reporting from the son's voice (in the 1st person) and the father's voice (in the third person) which not only makes it easy to read it adds a special creepiness that only enhances the story.
Kim
Feb 03, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
This book was really fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. It certainly made me reconsider any travel to Colombia. The book is about a man that is kidnapped by Colombian guerrillas and held for ransom. The book jumps back and forth between the kidnap victim and his family and they try to raise the money to secure his release. It is a fast, entertaining read and another hit by James Grippando.
Dale
Jan 24, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
For what it is, it is a great thriller

Published 2002

Is this great literature?

Is it a great piece of escapism?

Absolutely yes.

Grippando is on my short list of authors to keep an eye out for. Almost always he delivers...

Read more at http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/...
Ricardo
Aug 11, 2011 Ricardo rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I read authors from sequentially, but with Grippando, I'm giving up after this one. Nothing improved, same old formula, and I particularly laugh when I read the praise from much better writers on the cover knowing that they get paid to say good things.
Deborah-anne
Jan 01, 2013 Deborah-anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting read. It was written from two perspectives that of the captured man in the third person and in the first person by his son who sets out to pay the ransom and rescue him. This made it an it an exciting listen, especially with George Guidall reading.
Scott Bagley
Mar 03, 2010 Scott Bagley rated it really liked it
Another strong book by James Grippando. The story is revealed to you from the point of view of someone who clearly does not know the entire story. Painful at times, but realistic for sure. Highly recommended!
Joe
Nov 01, 2011 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
WOW!! a RACE against time Thriller...will have you FLIPPING the pages so fast...needing to know..who lives..what will happen and ....!!!

FBI, Kidnapping, South American drug trade and the love of a Father and son.
Weez
Aug 17, 2011 Weez rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very interesting kidnapping story. It was different to hear about things in Columbia and it made me wonder what it is really like their.
Dimps
Apr 13, 2009 Dimps rated it liked it
This was my first time reading Grippando. I like his writing style, but I am not sure that his books are going to be ones that I read all the time.
Jeff Dickison
Apr 07, 2012 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Good book by Grippando dealing with a kidnapping for ransom and a double-dealing insurance compnay. Recommended!
Shelly
Nov 19, 2010 Shelly rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible in the fact that it has many parts that I never expected. Very exciting!
Chuck
May 26, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it
A pretty good kidnapping story with with locales divided between Miami
and Bogota, Columbia.
Betty
Sep 22, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but at times I felt it was dragging on but still an excellent read
Becky
Aug 07, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Well-written. It's the kind of thriller that keeps you guessing until the end.
Bette Collins
Feb 07, 2012 Bette Collins rated it liked it
The narrator rather spoilt what suspect would have been a good read on paper.
sima
Sep 07, 2013 sima rated it really liked it
Interesting story - esp for lawyers! Quick read that is easy to get into.
B
Sep 23, 2013 B rated it really liked it
Fast paced, exciting and I always enjoy reading James Grippando.
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Hoax (Butch Karp, #16)
  • Scott Free
  • High Crimes
  • The Rules of Silence
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • Innocence (Scott Finn #2)
  • Foul Play at Four
  • Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Dying Declaration
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • The Last Good Day
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...

“The NRA was laying down its weapons. Yankee fans were rooting for the Boston Red Sox. The French were eating English food and loving it. Matthew was sure all those things were happening.... This was the proverbial cold day in hell, and Matthew was living it.” 3 likes