A King's Ransom

A King's Ransom

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The author of five bestselling novels, including Under Cover of Darkness and The Pardon, James Grippando writes compulsively readable thrillers that could be drawn from today's headlines, only better. Now his trademark gifts are wonderfully demonstrated in a taut new tale of intrigue that will keep you guessing to the final, breathtaking scene.

Just two years out of law sch...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A King's Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King's Ransom

Kevin Bachovchin
This book is about Nick Rey's father Matthew being kidnapped in Colombia. This book describes the relationship between the father and the son, Matthew's desperate attempts to save his father, and the struggles of Matthew and the other people who were kidnapped. I really got into the book, cared very much about the characters, and felt outraged at times, which is the sign of a good book. James Grippando is a very versatile author, able to write well about many different subjects. I actually read...more
Robin
a fast paced novel about a kidnapping in Columbia. interesting and believable
Deb
Matthew Ray is working on his fishing boats in Columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. Despite killing one of them, Matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in Columbia. His son, lawyer Nick Ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the FBI and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. They accuse Nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons...more
Deb
matthew ray is working on his fishing boats in columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. despite killing one of them, matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in columbia. his son, lawyer nick ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the fbi and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. they accuse nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons...more
Lara
Fundamentally I like this book. There were just a couple of things that did not work for me. For example...I don't know any 25 - 26 year old man who's first reaction to finding out his MOTHER is pregnant is...well, I guess you did have me at 18! WHAT?! No freak out...no "oh my" my parent still have sex?! That did not work for me. As the story moved on I understood why she was pregnant and how it really added to the conflict and motivation in the story. But....his reaction was all wrong. It took...more
Kelly
I loved this book! The story was completely captivating from the very beginning. I stayed up until 4 AM one night because I just had to know what happened. My sleep is very valuable with two young children so the book definitely deserves 5 stars if I lose sleep over it.

I loved the touch of "lawyer" mixed with adventure and love story! It was perfect. I sometimes don't really like lawyer books because it gets to mundane. This book was a perfect mix.

I loved how the author bounced back and forth b...more
Jon Nielson
Quick fast read by Grippando. Fun, but not great.
Susan
Nick Rey is climbing the ladder at a huge law firm in Miami. His Dad is a partner in a small fishing company. They aren't close. And then his Dad is kidnapped on a trip to Columbia and everything changes. This is one of the best books I've read in a while. The author swaps chapters reporting from the son's voice (in the 1st person) and the father's voice (in the third person) which not only makes it easy to read it adds a special creepiness that only enhances the story.
Kim
This book was really fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. It certainly made me reconsider any travel to Colombia. The book is about a man that is kidnapped by Colombian guerrillas and held for ransom. The book jumps back and forth between the kidnap victim and his family and they try to raise the money to secure his release. It is a fast, entertaining read and another hit by James Grippando.
Dale
For what it is, it is a great thriller

Published 2002

Is this great literature?

Is it a great piece of escapism?

Absolutely yes.

Grippando is on my short list of authors to keep an eye out for. Almost always he delivers...

Read more at http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/...
Ricardo
I couldn't finish this book. I read authors from sequentially, but with Grippando, I'm giving up after this one. Nothing improved, same old formula, and I particularly laugh when I read the praise from much better writers on the cover knowing that they get paid to say good things.
Deborah-anne
This was an exciting read. It was written from two perspectives that of the captured man in the third person and in the first person by his son who sets out to pay the ransom and rescue him. This made it an it an exciting listen, especially with George Guidall reading.
Scott Bagley
Another strong book by James Grippando. The story is revealed to you from the point of view of someone who clearly does not know the entire story. Painful at times, but realistic for sure. Highly recommended!
Joe
WOW!! a RACE against time Thriller...will have you FLIPPING the pages so fast...needing to know..who lives..what will happen and ....!!!

FBI, Kidnapping, South American drug trade and the love of a Father and son.
Weez
I thought this was a very interesting kidnapping story. It was different to hear about things in Columbia and it made me wonder what it is really like their.
Dimps
This was my first time reading Grippando. I like his writing style, but I am not sure that his books are going to be ones that I read all the time.
Jeff Dickison
Good book by Grippando dealing with a kidnapping for ransom and a double-dealing insurance compnay. Recommended!
Shelly
This book is incredible in the fact that it has many parts that I never expected. Very exciting!
Chuck
A pretty good kidnapping story with with locales divided between Miami
and Bogota, Columbia.
Betty
I really enjoyed this book but at times I felt it was dragging on but still an excellent read
Becky
Well-written. It's the kind of thriller that keeps you guessing until the end.
Bette Collins
The narrator rather spoilt what suspect would have been a good read on paper.
sima
Interesting story - esp for lawyers! Quick read that is easy to get into.
B
Fast paced, exciting and I always enjoy reading James Grippando.
Carol
A real page burner, I counldn't put it down. Very suspenseful.
Carol Bell
I like all of his books. This one does not disappoint you.
Yvette Thomas
This book was so good.. I could not put it down.
Sandy Lachman
A fast moving story. He's a great story writer!!
Al
Ending could be better.
Nev Thomas
Three and a half stars.Good
  • Hoax (Butch Karp, #16)
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Eclipse
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Innocence
  • Dying Declaration
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • The Capitol Game
James Grippando is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty novels of suspense, including 10 in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorny Jack Swyteck. He is also the author of "Leapholes" for young adults. His novels are enjoyed worldwide in twenty-six languages. James was a trial lawyer for twelve years and is now Counsel to one of the nation's leading law firms. He live...more
More about James Grippando...
When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6) The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1) Money To Burn Lying With Strangers Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)

“The NRA was laying down its weapons. Yankee fans were rooting for the Boston Red Sox. The French were eating English food and loving it. Matthew was sure all those things were happening.... This was the proverbial cold day in hell, and Matthew was living it.” 2 likes