Start by marking “The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons” as Want to Read:
The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Here is a cornucopia of 104 dead-on drawings and eye-opening ruminations on all things bookish, writerly, and readerly, courtesy of The New Yorker's renowned stable of cartoonists, including Charles Barsotti, Roz Chast, Ed Koren, J.B. Handelsman, Jack Ziegler, and Victoria Roberts. In the bestselling tradition of such classics as The New Yorker Book of Lawyer Cartoons and ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Washington Square Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

Kim
Amusing..

two of my favorites:

and:

"He leaves the Sendak lying around, but he's never actually read it"
Schnaucl
Sep 03, 2009 Schnaucl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bibliophiles
A fine collection of literary cartoons. Some of them I had to stretch to see the literature/book reference but most had an obvious connection. There were a lot of cartoons about rejection letters and first time novelists though. There were some funny cartoons but nothing that made me more than smile.
Emily Domitrovic hamburg
A fun collection of cartoons to browse when you want something light but not pedestrian.
Erin
A lovely compilation! A keeper.
Ryan Mishap
Much like the comics scattered throughout an issue of the New Yorker itself, one or two make you chuckle and the rest are loathsome. "Literary cartoons" was perhaps a loosely defined moniker or else its parameters were expanded in order to fill the book-size--whatever the reasoning,w ait, check that, I don't think there was much reasoning put into this.
Mike (the Paladin)
As one of the millions of unpublished writers (probably on this sight....maybe multiple millions) I found these side splitting to mildly humorous. I think one of my favorites is the man standing on a tall stack of self-help books, with a noose around his neck.
Brooke
Some of these were really funny. I want a print of the one where the book dressed as a superhero is confronting two kids sitting and watching TV and movies...
Bryce Wilson
James Joyce's To Do List:

- Call Bank
- Dry Cleaner
- Forge In The Smithy Of My Soul The Uncreated Conscience of My Race
- Call Mom
Malbadeen
Another book that seems to have gone MIA from my bookshelf (I need to stop hosting so many family get togethers at my house).
Sarah Sammis
Great fun to read when stuck home with the flu. Favorites of mine are #11, 18, 50, 61, & 72.
David Vanness
Very entertaining. Am going to get a copy for my author friend Sharon.
Kellie
One of my professors had us buy this book—lots of funny cartoons in here.
Melanie
Dec 25, 2009 Melanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melanie by: Clare
Shelves: humor, graphic
A Christmas gift from Clare.
Alisha
Anita
Anita added it
May 04, 2015
Raychel Rapazza
Raychel Rapazza marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker The Naked Cartoonist: A New Way to Enhance Your Creativity The New Yorker Book of Teacher Cartoons The New Yorker 75th Anniversary Cartoon Collection The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest Book