Start by marking “The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons” as Want to Read:
The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

Here is a cornucopia of 104 dead-on drawings and eye-opening ruminations on all things bookish, writerly, and readerly, courtesy of The New Yorker's renowned stable of cartoonists, including Charles Barsotti, Roz Chast, Ed Koren, J.B. Handelsman, Jack Ziegler, and Victoria Roberts. In the bestselling tradition of such classics as The New Yorker Book of Lawyer Cartoons and ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Washington Square Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons

My hubby and I decided to do a Stay-cation this year. Our goal: Between August and December, visit all thirty-three branches in the San Diego County Library system. For those who aren't aware, the city of San Diego is the 8th largest in America. And the county itself, as you can imagine, is considerably expansive, stretching far and wide from mountains to ocean and from valleys to deserts.

It's been quit the enterprising journey thus far. But oodles of fun, too! We're halfway to our goal. Just y
Sep 04, 2016 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
It even has two James Thurber cartoons.

Here are some favorites of mine:

1. Woman says to her writer husband: "I've got an idea for a story: Gus and Ethel live on Long Island, on the North Shore. He works sixteen hours a day writing fiction. Ethel never goes out, never does anything except fix Gus sandwiches and in the end she becomes a nympho-lesbo-killer-whore. Here's your sandwich."

2. A man reading Joyce's Ulysses as a bedtime story for his young son who says: "Could you read the part where
Elizabeth A
Mar 14, 2016 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, art, 2016
This anthology collects 104 cartoons from the New Yorker that pertain in some manner to all things literary. Some are fantastic, others not so much. Some of my fave ones had to do with how books are arranged on shelves in bookstores and libraries. For example:

Option 1. Sorted by attention span - Short/Medium/Long.
Option 2. Sorted by book size - Small/Medium/Large.

This is a quick fun read for bibliophiles. You know who you are.

Sep 03, 2009 Schnaucl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: bibliophiles
A fine collection of literary cartoons. Some of them I had to stretch to see the literature/book reference but most had an obvious connection. There were a lot of cartoons about rejection letters and first time novelists though. There were some funny cartoons but nothing that made me more than smile.
Jennifer Robb
Oct 14, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: literature lovers, authors
Recommended to Jennifer by: Anna Cramer
A friend sent me this book as part of a care package. It's a collection of cartoons that all relate in some way to literature. Most were amusing, but a few fell flat for me.
Cathy Cramer
I bought this second-hand for my husband. I like to keep his humor shelf well stocked. But then I got stuck in a carline, not moving, with nothing to do, so I ended up reading it myself. I think he'll enjoy it. Silliness. Shh! Don't tell him it's coming.

There were some good ones that I'd like to share with others, but there were also some that weren't clean.

t s eliot, nancy drew, huckleberry finn, dostoyevsky, moby dick, tom sawyer, dr jekyll and mr hyde, emily dickinson, maurice sendak, earnest
Ryan Mishap
May 07, 2011 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Shelves: anthology
Much like the comics scattered throughout an issue of the New Yorker itself, one or two make you chuckle and the rest are loathsome. "Literary cartoons" was perhaps a loosely defined moniker or else its parameters were expanded in order to fill the book-size--whatever the reasoning,w ait, check that, I don't think there was much reasoning put into this.
Oct 12, 2008 Kim rated it liked it

two of my favorites:

"He leaves the Sendak lying around, but he's never actually read it"
Mike (the Paladin)
As one of the millions of unpublished writers (probably on this sight....maybe multiple millions) I found these side splitting to mildly humorous. I think one of my favorites is the man standing on a tall stack of self-help books, with a noose around his neck.
Bryce Wilson

- Dry Cleaner
- Forge In The Smithy Of My Soul The Uncreated Conscience of My Race
- Call Mom
Jul 27, 2011 Brooke rated it liked it
Some of these were really funny. I want a print of the one where the book dressed as a superhero is confronting two kids sitting and watching TV and movies...
Apr 29, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
Obviously a super-short 'read', the book has some very clever cartoons inspired by classic literature. Nice for a guest room or coffee-table.
May 21, 2008 Malbadeen rated it liked it
Another book that seems to have gone MIA from my bookshelf (I need to stop hosting so many family get togethers at my house).
Mookie rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2011
Maureen rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Alana rated it really liked it
May 14, 2007
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2007
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Biba rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Oct 10, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Very funny!
James Payne
James Payne rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2011
Gayl Catt
Gayl Catt rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Richard rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Peter rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2011
Main Point Books
Main Point Books rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Simsian rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2012
Jim rated it really liked it
May 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • Happiness is a Warm Puppy
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • Large Print (Unshelved, #8)
  • Starting from Scratch (For Better or For Worse, #13)
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Baby Blues 08: One More and We're Outnumbered!
  • Last Chapter and Worse