Start by marking “Roget's International Thesaurus” as Want to Read:
Roget's International Thesaurus

Roget's International Thesaurus

The revolutionary achievement of Dr. Peter Mark Roget's first edition in 1852 was the development of a brand new principle: the arrangement of words and phrases according to their meanings. Dr. Roget's system brings together in one place all the terms associated with a single thought or concept; it allows a wide–ranging survey of language within a book of relatively modest

Paperback, Sixth Edition, 1280 pages
Published July 15th 2002 by CollinsRef (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Roget's International Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roget's International Thesaurus

Tomijo Gale
Aug 21, 2012 Tomijo Gale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A desk without a good thesaurus is like a house without windows.
James
Jan 14, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, reference
Just got this, and it's still the best - "The original Roget's", as the dust jacket says. The way it's organized is counter-intuitive, at least for me, but it works better than anything else I've found. I've been accumulating - collecting sounds too organized - dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?) since I was a teenager, and I always come back to the original-format Roget's. Believing that using exactly the right word is important, for me this book would be worth buying at twice the price.
Peacenow
Jun 23, 2010 Peacenow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides being a "use-full" book, I consider Roget's a sort of "holy" book. I could write a book about this book; not a biography of the author, but, how this book can change one's life..., how it can guide and order a life. It has so much power. Perhaps I'll take on the project of explaining the way I perceive this book; how I use it. I've tried, verbally, but always fail and leave the listener yawning. I will work on it, and change this review when its done.

For now, let it suffice... get the ol
E.J. Matze

Classification of Words
Key Words in Bold Type
Megan
Jun 11, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I literally read the thesaurus. Twice. I'm not pretentious, I just love words!
Michael
Dec 22, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It worked for Sylvia Plath!
Aldean
Nov 12, 2008 Aldean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: word people
I forget the precise point in my life where I finally got my hands on this magnificent volume; it was either late in high school or in the ramp-up to college. But whenever it was, it was a watershed moment.

This is definitely a tool that takes some getting used to, particularly if you have already been using an alphabetical-entry thesaurus. The Roget's, with its categories and its massive index (it must be a third of the page count) was very daunting and a bit unfriendly to a young user. But once
Zhukora
Roget's unique categorical organization of words makes it an enduring classic. It was, perhaps, slightly more difficult to figure out how to use when I was a child than alphabetically-organized thesauri, but once I understood the system, Roget's helped engender a love of words in me that assured me top marks on the SAT, GRE, and the verbal sections of all other standardized tests. I actually read this thesaurus for fun![return][return]It seems odd to be so passionate about a reference book, but ...more
Patricia Burroughs
Aug 11, 2011 Patricia Burroughs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: Pamela Renner
Shelves: reference, nonfiction
A friend of mine scoffed at my high school era thesaurus, as she vastly preferred the older 1946 edition. Tracking down a copy for myself was the first step in what has turned into a collection of Roget's Thesauri. It's definitely different from the later editions. I can't say it's better or worse, but I do like checking between them from time to time when I'm not finding quite the right word.
Gary
Dec 29, 2007 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
maybe one of the few books on my shelves really deserving the five-star rating.

indispensable.

i'm not sure if this edition has the format i prefer: a dictionary in the back, and the front arranged with synonyms opposite antonyms all arranged by concept (from abstract to specific)

not only indispensable but for anyone reading english as a second-language, required

Textmaven
Sep 15, 2011 Textmaven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Roget is my hero. A marvel of hierarchies.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 John Hawkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read. Just kept saying the same thing over and over but in different words.
Brenda
Sep 25, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best thesaurus ever! I own an old and battered third edition, but you couldn't pay me to part with it.
Jorn Barger
Aug 22, 2007 Jorn Barger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
the alphabetical versions are for cowards-- wrestle with the numbering system as a steppingstone to understanding the semantic web, etc
Mary Catelli
Usually I read a book twice, to be sure, before reviewing. This one, however, I haven't read through even once.

Roget's International Thesaurus was not designed to be read. It's wonderful for browsing, though.

The real charm to it is that it is organized by topic, not alphabetically. You can drill down from the overarching concepts or look up the section in the index in the back. But once you have gotten to it -- well, in an alphabetical one, since they have to repeat the synonyms for each word,
HeavyReader
Jan 14, 2012 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and all writers
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Kathy Delcarpio
Even though I've had this book since I graduated from high school in 1989 (thanks Ms. Delcarpio!), I have not read the whole thing. Show me someone who has read the enitre Roget's Thesaurus, and I will applaud that person for being a bigger word geek than I am.

This book has helped me so much with my writing. When I need a new word, this book is where I turn. I love it!
Jewce
Jul 01, 2009 Jewce rated it liked it
Yes, I read an entire thesaurus, thank you. I unpretentiously but diligently devoured it cover to cover in approximately 4 hours and now I am not bragging about it, but merely informing you of my accomplishment. Ah, the review. I found it trite, convoluted, and absurd. It was ingenuous in its rare attempts at humor.
Kristina  UK
May 03, 2009 Kristina UK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
a fabulous reference tool for anyone that has to use the written word to communicate effectively. I couldn't live without a thesaurus in my house ok, well I probably could, but I woudn't want to!
Alan
Feb 13, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's helped me when I've been stuck. Yes it's a thesaurus, but the information is pertinent to life. It will help you make connections you hadn't realize existed, and remind you of one's you've forgotten.
John
Mar 06, 2008 John rated it did not like it
I don't know who this Roger guy is, but I have to say, this book confused the hell out of me. If there’s a plot, I couldn’t find one, or any main characters. Also, it seems awfully repetitive, and where the hell was the Minotaur?
Melanie
Apr 10, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my dad--was it seventh grade? Sometime in middle school. And I took it to college with me. Forget Merriam-Webster online--this is one of my most valuable possessions! It's full of not just synonyms, but literary references and turns-of-phrase.

Karen Hood
Mar 11, 2014 Karen Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic that everyone should read and read again.
C.J. Ruby
Apr 17, 2014 C.J. Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, owned, reference
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Proverbs 25:11
Lisa
Nov 23, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roget's International Thesaurus (Harper colophon books) by Robert L Chapman (1990)
Barbara
Mar 09, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer's handbook - shouldn't be without it.
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 17, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it really liked it
This is an excellent edition. Reference.
Kelly
Jul 18, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute essential for writers. I keep mine right next to me on my desk while I work.
Eric Nelson
Jul 07, 2008 Eric Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Thesauruses are much better than Word's synonym finder--and this one is the best. This hard copy is much better than anything available online. More important tool for a writer than dictionary!
Don Gubler
Needed reference for writing and upgrading vocabulary.
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • 501 German Verbs
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Webster's New World Dictionary
  • The Synonym Finder
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
Dr. Barbara Ann Kipfer (born in 1954) is a lexicographer,as well as an archaeologist. She has written more than 60 books, including 14,000 Things to be Happy About (Workman), which has more than a million copies in print and has given rise to many Page-a-Day calendars. The 25th anniversary edition of the book was published in October 2014. She is the editor of Roget's International Thesaurus.

Kipfe
More about Barbara Ann Kipfer...