Start by marking “The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  54 reviews
'The Last Fighting Tommy' tells the extraordinary and moving story of a man whose life has spanned six monarchs and 20 Prime Ministers. Harry Patch, 110 years old, is the last British soldier alive to have fought in the trenches of the First World War. From his vivd menories of an Edwardian childhood, the horror of the Great War and fighting in the mud of the Battle of Pas ...more
Published June 2nd 2008 by Bloomsbury UK (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Fighting Tommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Fighting Tommy

Ian Russell
May 25, 2009 Ian Russell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: warmongers, young men, david starkey
The strength of this book lies in the ordinariness of its subject. History is full of hype, stories sold as block-busters, embellished beyond plausibility, myth usurping truth.

Here is a sensitive man so humble he didn't want to tell his story to begin with. Only by pure accident, he becomes the single living connection to an unimaginable experience in another time, to coin L.P. Hartley, a place where they do things differently. So he's persuaded to tell his story; understated, honest, un-heroica
Dan
The Last Fighting Tommy tells the story of Harry Patch, the longest surviving veteran of the trenches. 2014 marks 100 years since the start of World War I so I thought now would be a good time to read this book that has been sat on my shelf for years and years. Harry Patch died in 2009, aged 111, and given that the book was published in 2007 it does cover the vast majority of his long life.

As one would expect a fair chunk of the book covers Harry's experiences in World War I as he was forced to
Hilmi Isa
Ini merupakan sebuah ulasan buku dwi-bahasa/This is a bilingual book review .
Buku ini bukanlah sebuah buku autobiografi/memoir perang yang lazimnya. Jika anda mahukan sebuah buku yang yang menceritakan keperwiraan anggota tentera menumpaskan musuhnya,dengan aksi-aksi pertempuran yang dinyatakan dengan jelas,buku ini bukanlah buku yang sesuai untuk anda.
Buku ini mengisahkan Henry John "Harry" Patch,seorang veteran Perang Dunia Pertama,yang sehingga kematiannya pada 25 Julai 2009,merupakan satu-
Tom
I'm pretty sure I've never read a book written by someone quite so old. Harry Patch was around 105 at the time of writing this autobiographical piece and it makes a good story. He's an ordinary man who grew up around Combe Down near Bath, but ended up in the Trenches at Ypres and then manning the firetrucks during the second world war.

I really enjoyed learning about my local area in the early 1900s and finding out what shenanigans young people got up to in those days. Harry's insight into his f
Jo
Sadly Harry Patch died in July 2009 which prompted me to finally read this book that I purchased earlier in the year. Reading his memories of his life and anecdotes from those that knew him shows a truly wonderful man who cared about everyone around him. It's amazing what he could remember and that at the age of 108 (when he wrote the book) he had such a clarity of mind. I have to confess that at times I had tears in my eyes knowing that Harry had just passed on. If you want to read about a real ...more
Helen F
I was left feeling a litle disappointed by this book as I have really taken to reading accounts of the war and learning more, but I felt that this fell a little flat. It was interesting in so far as learning about an Edwardian upbringing and the context/ effects on family life at the time but I felt like it never got to the nitty gritty of war. In terms of WW2 very little was actually mentioned. By the end of the book more was actually written by Van Emden that Harry himself, giving context to h ...more
Derek
The Last Fighting Tommy is an interesting book about a remarkable man, Harry Patch.
Harry was the last remaining British soldier to survive the Western front. He passed away in July 2009, aged 111 years old. Over 90 years ago, he was sent to fight in the mud and blood of Passchendale.
That Harry managed to live so long seems particularly incredible when you read that he had an 2 inch lump of white hot shrapnel blasted into his guts. Meamwhile, all around him his comrades were being blown up.

This
Angela
This fairly short book tells of the life of Harry Patch, described on the cover as “the only surviving veteran of the trenches”, but this is certainly not a book solely about war.
Harry Patch was born in June 1898, towards the end of Queen Victoria’s reign, and during his lifetime, the world changed incredibly quickly. For me, the social history of the late 19th century, stretching through to the end of the 20th century and beyond, is one of the most interesting aspects of this book. Changes in
Eli Castro
The man that lives to pass the age of 100 and who knows of his current status this man is no original old mann hes a special man who lived through some of the most historic times. Shure he wasnt a Star but who is? I liked this story cause it seemed realistic maybe a little bit of lies but you never know but it seemed like an honest story.

This book was one of those books that are a little slow in the beginings Harry Patch explains his childhood and family members and things about them, but it
Barbara Spencer
I found this a very powerful book because it was written by someone who lived only a mile or so away about a war that we can only imagine. I thought his frankness about his belief in God and later when he saw the graves of so many Americans killed at Omaha Beach in the Second World War particularly moving. This is a book that should be read. To be frank it made me feel very humble; do we really appreciate the stupidity of war and the sacrifice of these men?
John
Harry Patch is 109 years [110 in June]. He is the oldest surviving man who saw combat in World War 1.

Harry didn't want to fight[he'd trained a a plumber] but still did his duty in the horror of the trenches - fighting at the famous Battle of Passchendaele.

This book takes you on an historical journey through the life of an ordinary man who, as time has moved on taking his contemporaries one-by-one, has become extraordinary. By default he has outlived his comrades and his enemies and many of his l
Jeane
Harry Patch lived during both World Wars and was actively involved at the Western Front during the first war.
He was the last surviving Tommy and fortunately for us his story has been written down.
The humor and seriousness with which he tells his story in the village of Bath, where he grew up, how the villege prepared for war and how he went to war. His life with his first wife and after that are hard to read, while some of his anecdotes make you laugh too.
When I was reading his story, I wanted t
Janet
Harry Patch was something of a local celebrity. And hardly surprising really. He was born and brought up in Combe Down in Bath, so the book is littered with local references, which made it all the more enjoyable for me.

Rather than just tell of Harry’s experiences in WW1, the book is his history from the day he was born (in 1898) until 2007. He lived through two wars and lived through three centuries. It’s humbling to think of that.

Harry was present at the service of Remembrance at the Royal Albe
Maggie
What's fascinating about this dictated autobiography of the last living British veteran of the trenches of World War I is how little time he actually spent in the war. As of the writing, Harry Patch was 108 years old. His time spent fighting, before being wounded and shipped back to England, totaled little more than four months. Rather, his longevity and his ease in front of the camera brought fame in his later years. The war was something that happened to him and to everyone else. War is someth ...more
Ellen Stafford
An amazing account from a very brave gentleman. This book was a great read and insight into how life was for our brave soldiers who fought for our country. As someone born and raised in Bath and with relations in Combe Down it was also very interesting.

RIP Harry Patch.
Gavin Millar
A beautifully written piece that really captures an extraordinary man's life. Patch's dictation of his life is a brilliant structured one. Heart warming and emotionally painful at the same time. Do read this.
Gareth Powell
A great read with some lovely humour too. Very moving and inspiring because he was, like most Western Front veterans, just an ordinary man who served his country in an extraordinary way.

Two aspects of his life geographically struck me. Firstly, his home village was just a few miles from my maternal grandfather's ancestral home a generation or so earlier. Secondly, my paternal Grandfather also served on the Western Front in the 38th Welsh Division. Harry's 20th Division & the 38th relieved e
Kay
This is a really good read and puts the First World War into a more human context - what the ordinary soldier lived through and how it affected the rest of his life.
Nick
Maybe I expected more than this could deliver. The fact that it is only approx. 25% on WWI is both a plus and a minus. I was expecting more information, first person accounts of the trenches. Yet it is also true that a lot of the other info from the early 20th century is pretty interesting. It is the quotidian nature of much of what is here that is its charm. But it also limits its appeal as much of it could be viewed as a bit mundane.

So I'm in two minds. There is nothing wrong with the book, an
Lorraine
The life story of Harry Patch, who lived to be 111 and happened to be the last British soldier who had fought in World War I. But that experience is just a small part of this book. Definitely the story of "an ordinary man's extraordinary life".
Matt Pitts
The story of Harry Patch is fascinating, poignant and humbling. Told biographically through a series of interviews with Richard Van Emden, the writing is frank and descriptive without ever straying into hyperbole. We get a glimpse into childhood life in the west country of England, both World Wars, and a lifetime of experiences spanning a century.

The horrors of war certainly marked Harry's life, but never dominated it. Love, acceptance and forgiveness all play a part in his story. The matter-of
Tara Fitzgerald
Not only a fascinating account of someone who survived two World Wars but also an interesting account of Somerset life in the 20th century. Truly an ordinary man who was forced to do extraordinary things.
Tim Corke
What a truly inspirational read. Having met the late Harry Patch at the naming ceremony of the lifeboat named in his and Doris's name, it was fascinating to read more about him.

His famed age, iconic presence as "the last fighting Tommy" and his philanthropic gestures are just a snippet of Harry's life and van Emden's touching narratives add more depth.

TLFT should be read as a guide to social history covering the innocence of a bygone age, one we strive for today but as a reminder of the person
Douglas
A wonderful book for those with a knowledge of the Bath area and an interest in the Great War. Harry Petch came from Combe Down in Bath and as a teenager was wounded at Passchendaele. His family was relatively prosperous and he had a good life as a plumber. He was in the AFS in the Second World War experiencing the Bath Blitz when 400 people died in a Baedeker Raid. It wasnt till he got to a hundred that he started talking about his experiences in the Great War and he became a national figure po ...more
Kate
I loved reading this book and was disappointed when it came to an end. Harry writes with such humility. His stories are factual and not embellished or given the "hollywood" bling. He tells the story of his life as he experienced it from boyhood, through the first world war in active service, his contribution during the second world war and how his life and loves developed until the end of his days. He must have been a truly inspiring man to have met. His spirit shines through the pages. I would ...more
Bev Walkling
This book tells the Story of Harry Patch, last surviving British soldier who fought in the trenches during the Great War. It is more than a war story as it begins with his childhood growing up near Bath, England. The book was published when he was 108 years old and is remarkable in the detail for one of such an age. His co-author, blends the historical details of the times smoothly in to Harry's retelling of his memories. He died at the age of 109 having chosen to forego any pomp and circumstanc ...more
Robert
Great read about a great man
Steve Chambers
An interesting life story especially the childhood years.
James Kidd
I write this with a tear in my eye. I have just finished this wonderful book. A simple story elegantly and movingly told of a man, who is defined by his experiences of being a WWI trench veteran, but who was much more than that. The tears were due to the simple but wonderful telling of a man's life. He has gone now, to join his comrades from the Vickers gun team perhaps, whose to say; but as we tell ourselves, we should never forget. We must never forget what our forefathers did for us.
Louise
I feel somewhat satisfied I was able to read this book before the man himself past away, today July 25th 2009 at 111 years old. This was a book I had always intended to read, I borrowed it from my local library and after finishing it I was left with the main impression that Harry Patch wasn't an extra-ordinary man, he was very simply an ordinary man consumed by fate and rose to every challenge that lay infront of him which in itself is outstanding and extra-ordinary.
  • Last Post: The Final Word from Our First World War Soldiers
  • Bomber Boys: Fighting Back, 1940-1945
  • Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front
  • First Light
  • Somme Mud
  • 1915   The Death Of Innocence
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries Of Housewife, 49
  • Undertones of War
  • Bravemouth: Living With Billy Connolly
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park
  • The Frightful First World War (Horrible Histories)
  • Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin
  • The True History of the Elephant Man
  • Vulcan 607: The Epic Story of the Most Remarkable British Air Attack Since WWII
  • The Making of Modern Britain
  • Nancy Wake
The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, Last Veteran of the Trenches, 1898-2009