Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)

Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  847 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Erethizon Dorsatum—better known as Ereth, the self-centered, foul-tempered old porcupine—is having a birthday. And he fully expects his best friend Poppy, a deer mouse, to help him celebrate in a grand manner. But Poppy has gone off somewhere with her husband, Rye, and it appears she has forgotten all about it. "Belching Beavers," says Ereth, "I am not angry!" (Though, per...more
Published August 15th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2000)

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel KeyesOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearyThree Blind Mice and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
Mice
35th out of 74 books — 24 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Talking-Animal Books
215th out of 278 books — 473 voters

More lists with this book...

sarafem
Ereth's Birthday is the fourth book out of five in the Poppy Series by Avi, and the third that I've read (my school library doesn't carry the first). The first book was okay, the second pretty good, and this one is even better than the others. This one differs from the others in that its main character is Ereth the porcupine rather than Poppy the mouse. Ereth is like your grouchy grampa who bitches about everything and comes up with new and exciting cursewords to broaden the entire family's voca...more
Yakeishaa
ERETH's BIRTHDAY is about his dreadlful birthday that he is having. And the three foxes are being mean to him. The main characters are Ereth
Marty is a vicous fisher and he is to get the porcupine that is on a branch. And Mrty said you better get down or i will get you down my self. So the porcupine said that he will get down only if marty does not do anything to him. So marty said that i wont do anything to him. The setting is outside on sonwing days. Filp was falling Ereth and filp asked Ereth...more
Blistering buttercups! Ereth hadn’t expected much of a celebration for his birthday – he knows he’s an unlikable, bristly old fellow – but he didn’t expect to be taunted, teased, and ridiculed! That is too much even for a porcupine to stand. And to top it all off, his best friend, Poppy the fieldmouse, is nowhere to be found! She’s deserted him! Well, Ereth won’t stand for it. Not for one tiny minute. He’ll show everybody how much he needs them! And with that, he hurls himself into the forest.

Bu...more
Irene
Feb 28, 2013 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Elementary Grades, Maybe Grades 2 or 3 through 5
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Teacher
Shelves: children
My favorite of the series so far.

Ereth is a (hilariously) cantankerous old curmudgeon of a porcupine with a hidden heart of gold. Up until now, Ereth has always been the protector, keeping Poppy safe with his quills. But in this book, the perspective shifts as Ereth is hunted by a fisher.

Like previous books in series, there are a couple themes and lessons: "Don't be disrespectful or cruel to nature." "Helping others is its own reward." Still, this installment is not nearly as allegorical as th...more
Betsy
Another delightful installment in Avi's Dimwood Tales books. This book centered on Ereth, much to the delight of my three children--they now want me to wake them in the morning with "Get up, you sleepy, slimy, slugheads." (This was Ereth's morning greeting to three young foxes)

The central issue in this book is one of family; the three young foxes lose their mother and their father is the classic picture of a father who wants to do his own thing and only shows up at home when he wants his young b...more
Grace
judging by the fact that there is only 500 or so reviews for this book, i feel it is greatly underrated and deserves more attention from the public!
I wouldn't have expected it from the cover, (yes i know dont judge a book from its cover but who doesn't?) but i was drawn to it because
a)i had read the other books in the series and loved it
b)Avi has never failed to dissapoint me.
Let me just say, this book was an absolute delight to read from cover to cover. I literally devoured the story in one...more
Jackie
Ereth, the porcupine, is quite upset when Poppy and Rye forget his birthday. He waddles off into the forest and he stumbles upon a mother fox who is dying since she got caught in a human's trap. She begs Ereth to take care of her young kits, Tumble, Flip, and Nimble. Begrudgingly, Ereth promises to do so...Ereth swearing in his uniquely humorous way.

The three kits prove to be a handful, but Ereth lives up to his word and stays with the kits, 'but only until your father returns'. He teaches them...more
Cie
We are LOVING this series! AVI weaves minor characters from other books into the story line and my son is completely delighted when he remembers them! It's like an inside joke with the author. This story was very sweet. Ereth is cantankerous as ever but with his alliteration-filled outbursts and reluctant heroism, he is one of the funniest and endearing character I've come across in a while.
Abbi
This is an awesome book!

Ereth the grumpy porcupine has a birthday. It seems like no one remembered, so he decides to go find a very special birthday present, salt! The delectable salt is at a hunter's cabin. While going there, he meets a dying fox who asks him to watch her kits until the dad got back.

So Ereth, much to his reluctance, ventures out to find the place where the fox described her home to be.

Read 'Ereth's Birthday' to find out what's next!
Katurah
This is such a great book! I thought it was gonna be dumb, i mean "Ereth's Birthday". It sounds like it's a story of a birthday party or something. But if your going to read this book DON'T READ THE BACK BEFORE YOU READ THE BOOK. Avi put way to much information on the back about the book. I was so disapointed when I read the back, it' s like giving away the whole story. But you should defently read this book if you liked the first 3.
Amanda Fack
This an exciting read for animal-lovers of all ages! Classic woodland battles between predator and prey dominate this tale about an endearingly grumpy old porcupine who comes to be charged with the care of three young kits. All the while, he is being stalked by a fisher(the weasel-y kind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%...). The suspense combined with the cute factor would be enough, but it's also well-written. A+!
Zarakoda
Ereth prior to this was always fun to be around because of his wild phrases and ever-grouchy behavior. However, one can only take so much of him before he gets tiring. This book, which is about Ereth, gets dull in that it has little development of plot - it is more the tale of how Ereth is a babysitter. While it has its moments, this book is far less than the first three in Tales of the Dimwood Forest.
Hannah Givens
I expected a sweet little story, but it was a little more realistic than that. Characters die, are injured and threaten to eat each other, and the book was a little sad to me, but I loved Ereth and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. If you enjoyed the Nimh books, which I did, then this is a great choice.
Mary
Avi can be counted on for a good tale. This one isn't great. It bothered me that Ereth's "swear words" involved animals he would not be aware of: Sloth-swill soup, for example. And I had trouble believing that the predator animal could be friendly with the prey animas. Other than that, I enjoyed the sotre.
Eric
Finished reading this with my 10-year-old daughter...great read in the Poppy series. Loved the dynamics with the old porcupine and the old and new friends he encounters. This is a great book about discovering some difficult truths about yourself and changing attitudes. Great book to read with a son or daughter.
Birdgirls
Since this is a group account I've given each child space to review the books in their own words. (This review will be edited later to include all the girls.)

Diana: I give this book a 5 star rating, it was awesome and I loved it. I really liked the loving, family-like touches that each character had.
Kelsey
Have you ever read a book that makes you happy and sad at the same time? Well that's the feeling Avi gave me by this book. It is about Ereth's birthday and he bumps into a couple of cubs they are starving and are in need of help. As Ereth goes through his journey he learns what love really is.
Ali Mac Book-Pro
I read this so long ago; all I can remember is...
The Mixed-Upiest Jumbliest Rememberation Rambling: Porcupine who liked salt, sad it was his birthday and nobody was celebrating, looking for his friend, trap catching a certain animal that would be a spoiler if I told, and baby foxes.
Kellycee
AVI is an amazing storyteller. We have used his writing as an example of descriptive details meaning "showing" not "telling". The POPPY series is a great read aloud.

This book is great and includes this "grumpy" character Ereth. I will never look at a porcupine the same! LOL
Sequeena
Avi is a porcupine that nows three kits.The porcupine is not very nice at the begaining of the book.So,when i read that i was like that porcupine is very mean and dose not have any respect of his friends.It was his brithday and no one acted like they did not care about him
Pam Scholz
Aug 07, 2008 Pam Scholz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pam by: My son's second grade teacher
Ereth is an ornery old porcuppine with a gift for swearing. What is hidden underneath is a big heart. If you enjoy reading aloud and taking on the voices of the different characters, this is great fun. Even my husband would stop everything to sit and listen with our boys.
Jenna
This book I found kind of pointless. It was interesting to have more of Ereth, but didn't add anything. It is just more adventures.

Ratings (out of 10):
Plot: 9
Characters: 10
Writing Style: 9
Fiction: 10
Originality: 8
Total: 46/50 (A-)
Catherine  Mustread
Grades4+. Feeling neglected on his birthday, Ereth, the cantankerous old porcupine, sets out looking for his favorite treat and instead finds himself acting as "mother" to three young fox kits after he discovers their mother dying in a trap.
Leah
Oh my god... I thought this book was gonna be not so good, but boy, was I wrong, this was literally my expresion when I finished the book.

great book!:)
Amy
This was an edge of your seat adventure, with some sweet parts that balanced it out. Loved it, and more importantly, my 6 year old loved it! He would get down on the floor and act it out at the really tense spots. Awesome.
!ĘŁÏŻÅ¡
Apr 27, 2009 !ĘŁÏŻÅ¡ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one
Recommended to !ĘŁÏŻÅ¡ by: no one
This is a good book! Read in the car after school. I finished it in about an hour!!!

I wonder what happened to Marty. And Tumble,Flip, and all the other characters,especially Ereth.
Shakala
This book is about Ereth.one day he meet a fox and her brother and mom they became very close but Ereth didn't like kids.one day him and the kids mother want to find so food
Cheryl
I think we liked this one the best in the series! As we finished tonight, Ella said---I love that book Mom! A couple sad parts but the adventure and fun made up for it.
Donna Hunt
Poor Ereth thinks he's been forgotten and thus sets out on what is to become his most endearing adventure, Ereth the grump rasing three fox kits!
Isaac
May 25, 2012 Isaac added it
Its a bout a porcupine named ereth and a deer mouse named poppy.Ereth has an adventure to find some salt to eat.When he sees the he gets killed.
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Two Times the Fun
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Totally Disgusting
  • Bless This Mouse
  • The Secret Zoo: Riddles and Danger (The Secret Zoo, #3)
  • Gooseberry Park
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • Charlie's Raven
  • Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1) Nothing But the Truth Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1) The Seer of Shadows