Start by marking “Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)

Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Published August 15th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ereth's Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ereth's Birthday

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth GrahameMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhitePrince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Best Books Featuring Rodents
77th out of 131 books — 49 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
307th out of 524 books — 593 voters

More lists with this book...

sarafem
Mar 18, 2008 sarafem rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, avi
Ereth's Birthday is the fourth book out of five in the Poppy Series by Avi, and the third that I've read (my school library doesn't carry the first). The first book was okay, the second pretty good, and this one is even better than the others. This one differs from the others in that its main character is Ereth the porcupine rather than Poppy the mouse. Ereth is like your grouchy grampa who bitches about everything and comes up with new and exciting cursewords to broaden the entire family's voca ...more
Sarah Eagle
Jun 29, 2015 Sarah Eagle rated it really liked it
This book is different from the rest in that it lacks that deeper allegory. The villain reminds me of the antagonist from No Country For Old Men rather than any political figure. While the book was still great and a wonderful lesson in parenting and how to open up as a person to others, I feel like it lacked a certain something the rest had.
Can we also talk about the feelings this book gave? In the whole series so far there's only one character death that's overtly mentioned. But at least it's o
Wendy
Jun 29, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it
Read this aloud with my 9 year old. We have throughly enjoyed this series. I am not one to do voices or accents when orating a book with my daughter but years ago when we read Poppy I had a fun time creating a voice for Ereth the porcupine. I thought " what is the harm? Its just a small part. What could go wrong? " . Now I find myself 4 books in and Ereth just keeps coming out of nowhere, bigger and bolder as the books develop. And as you might of guessed he is the main character of of this stor ...more
Shannon
Amazon Book Description:
Erethizon Dorsatum—better known as Ereth, the self-centered, foul-tempered old porcupine—is having a birthday. And he fully expects his best friend Poppy, a deer mouse, to help him celebrate in a grand manner. But Poppy has gone off somewhere with her husband, Rye, and it appears she has forgotten all about it. "Belching Beavers," says Ereth, "I am not angry!" (Though, perhaps he is—and more than just a little.)

Ereth knows his special occasion deserves a special treat—eve
Yakeishaa
Apr 12, 2010 Yakeishaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ERETH's BIRTHDAY is about his dreadlful birthday that he is having. And the three foxes are being mean to him. The main characters are Ereth
Marty is a vicous fisher and he is to get the porcupine that is on a branch. And Mrty said you better get down or i will get you down my self. So the porcupine said that he will get down only if marty does not do anything to him. So marty said that i wont do anything to him. The setting is outside on sonwing days. Filp was falling Ereth and filp asked Ereth
Laura Verret
Dec 18, 2012 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Blistering buttercups! Ereth hadn’t expected much of a celebration for his birthday – he knows he’s an unlikable, bristly old fellow – but he didn’t expect to be taunted, teased, and ridiculed! That is too much even for a porcupine to stand. And to top it all off, his best friend, Poppy the fieldmouse, is nowhere to be found! She’s deserted him! Well, Ereth won’t stand for it. Not for one tiny minute. He’ll show everybody how much he needs them! And with that, he hurls himself into the forest.

Bu
Irene
Feb 28, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Elementary Grades, Maybe Grades 2 or 3 through 5
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Teacher
Shelves: children
My favorite of the series so far.

Ereth is a (hilariously) cantankerous old curmudgeon of a porcupine with a hidden heart of gold. Up until now, Ereth has always been the protector, keeping Poppy safe with his quills. But in this book, the perspective shifts as Ereth is hunted by a fisher.

Like previous books in series, there are a couple themes and lessons: "Don't be disrespectful or cruel to nature." "Helping others is its own reward." Still, this installment is not nearly as allegorical as th
Betsy
Sep 18, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
Another delightful installment in Avi's Dimwood Tales books. This book centered on Ereth, much to the delight of my three children--they now want me to wake them in the morning with "Get up, you sleepy, slimy, slugheads." (This was Ereth's morning greeting to three young foxes)

The central issue in this book is one of family; the three young foxes lose their mother and their father is the classic picture of a father who wants to do his own thing and only shows up at home when he wants his young b
Gemma Smith
Jan 05, 2013 Gemma Smith rated it really liked it
judging by the fact that there is only 500 or so reviews for this book, i feel it is greatly underrated and deserves more attention from the public!
I wouldn't have expected it from the cover, (yes i know dont judge a book from its cover but who doesn't?) but i was drawn to it because
a)i had read the other books in the series and loved it
b)Avi has never failed to dissapoint me.
Let me just say, this book was an absolute delight to read from cover to cover. I literally devoured the story in one
Jackie
Ereth, the porcupine, is quite upset when Poppy and Rye forget his birthday. He waddles off into the forest and he stumbles upon a mother fox who is dying since she got caught in a human's trap. She begs Ereth to take care of her young kits, Tumble, Flip, and Nimble. Begrudgingly, Ereth promises to do so...Ereth swearing in his uniquely humorous way.

The three kits prove to be a handful, but Ereth lives up to his word and stays with the kits, 'but only until your father returns'. He teaches them
Scott Holloway
Sep 02, 2014 Scott Holloway rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I have to say that I didn't enjoy this book. My children and I never really got "into" the book. For me, it was too far a diversion or tangent from the mice of Dimwood Forest. Probably because I was expecting much more interaction with the mice of Dimwood Forest, I was left unsatisfied.
Samantha
Mar 24, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, and if I still owned it (where did it go?! If I gave it away, I will never forgive myself!) I would read this again and again. This story is heartwarming, cute, and even a little suspenseful. I love Ereth, and the foxes, and dear Poppy. I can't gush enough about this.
Betsy
Jan 18, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I love the grumpy porcupine Ereth, and my boys do, too. We read this one or two chapters at a time except for last night, when we had six chapters left and had to finish it! Avi certainly knows how to build tension and drama.
Sophie Muller
Jan 26, 2015 Sophie Muller rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-literature
If only the Ereth hadn't been so mean, I would have truly enjoyed the story. I know his meanness is part of the plot, but it was overwhelming for me, so much so that I skipped his curses whenever I started reading one.
Laurie D'ghent
Oct 31, 2014 Laurie D'ghent rated it liked it
I'm not normally a talking-animal-book person, but this is one of the better ones. Totally a foster care with animals situation
Cie
Jan 20, 2014 Cie rated it it was amazing
We are LOVING this series! AVI weaves minor characters from other books into the story line and my son is completely delighted when he remembers them! It's like an inside joke with the author. This story was very sweet. Ereth is cantankerous as ever but with his alliteration-filled outbursts and reluctant heroism, he is one of the funniest and endearing character I've come across in a while.
May 17, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Not quite as good as some of the other books in this series!
Joshua Delos reyes
Apr 23, 2016 Joshua Delos reyes rated it did not like it
It reminded me of a crappier and bloodier Winnie the Pooh.
Megan Parsons
First book I ever read as a child. Very good memories.
Teri Moote
Mar 09, 2016 Teri Moote rated it it was amazing
A great read aloud to my grandson. We love the Poppy series. Great characters, hilarious adventures, and exciting dilemmas.
Haven
This book was adorable! AVI is a very creative author and I very much enjoy his books. :)
Katie
Dec 17, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book was rather dark and depressing and grouchy compared to the other books. The boys still loved all of Ereth's rants, and giggled the whole way through them, but it was a less "fun" bedtime story than I expected. It turned around in the last short chapter and we got a surprisingly happy ending, though.

The boys liked it though, and are asking for the next book, so after the holidays I think we'll pick up the next one. A good read, but not my favorite.
Abbi
Jan 24, 2008 Abbi rated it really liked it
This is an awesome book!

Ereth the grumpy porcupine has a birthday. It seems like no one remembered, so he decides to go find a very special birthday present, salt! The delectable salt is at a hunter's cabin. While going there, he meets a dying fox who asks him to watch her kits until the dad got back.

So Ereth, much to his reluctance, ventures out to find the place where the fox described her home to be.

Read 'Ereth's Birthday' to find out what's next!
Katurah
Jan 08, 2009 Katurah rated it really liked it
This is such a great book! I thought it was gonna be dumb, i mean "Ereth's Birthday". It sounds like it's a story of a birthday party or something. But if your going to read this book DON'T READ THE BACK BEFORE YOU READ THE BOOK. Avi put way to much information on the back about the book. I was so disapointed when I read the back, it' s like giving away the whole story. But you should defently read this book if you liked the first 3.
Amanda Fack
Feb 10, 2012 Amanda Fack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, novel, fantasy
This an exciting read for animal-lovers of all ages! Classic woodland battles between predator and prey dominate this tale about an endearingly grumpy old porcupine who comes to be charged with the care of three young kits. All the while, he is being stalked by a fisher(the weasel-y kind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%...). The suspense combined with the cute factor would be enough, but it's also well-written. A+!
King Haddock
Aug 30, 2008 King Haddock rated it it was ok
Ereth prior to this was always fun to be around because of his wild phrases and ever-grouchy behavior. However, one can only take so much of him before he gets tiring. This book, which is about Ereth, gets dull in that it has little development of plot - it is more the tale of how Ereth is a babysitter. While it has its moments, this book is far less than the first three in Tales of the Dimwood Forest.
Hannah Givens
Dec 28, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I expected a sweet little story, but it was a little more realistic than that. Characters die, are injured and threaten to eat each other, and the book was a little sad to me, but I loved Ereth and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. If you enjoyed the Nimh books, which I did, then this is a great choice.
Mary
Jun 04, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Avi can be counted on for a good tale. This one isn't great. It bothered me that Ereth's "swear words" involved animals he would not be aware of: Sloth-swill soup, for example. And I had trouble believing that the predator animal could be friendly with the prey animas. Other than that, I enjoyed the sotre.
Eric
Feb 11, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading this with my 10-year-old daughter...great read in the Poppy series. Loved the dynamics with the old porcupine and the old and new friends he encounters. This is a great book about discovering some difficult truths about yourself and changing attitudes. Great book to read with a son or daughter.
Birdgirls
Jan 29, 2013 Birdgirls rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Since this is a group account I've given each child space to review the books in their own words. (This review will be edited later to include all the girls.)

Diana: I give this book a 5 star rating, it was awesome and I loved it. I really liked the loving, family-like touches that each character had.
  • Martin's Mice
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • The Storm
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)
  • Totally Disgusting
  • Jim Ugly
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Charlie's Raven
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Return Of Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #2)
  • Celebrating Peanuts: 60 Years
  • Bless This Mouse
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • A Book
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...

Dimwood Forest (6 books)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Poppy and Rye (Dimwood Forest, #2)
  • Poppy's Return (Dimwood Forest, #4)
  • Poppy and Ereth (Dimwood Forest, #5)