Start by marking “Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name” as Want to Read:
Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name

Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Too Many Questions

It wasn't that thirteen-year-old Conrad didn't like living with his aunt and uncle in St. Louis. It's just that his mother and father both lived in New York and he hadn't seen them lately. And he had a few questions he needed to have answered. That's how Conrad happened to spend the strangest week of his life in New York City with a girl he hardly knew--a
Published September 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name

Aug 01, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle schoolers
A less fantastical, angstier book than Charlotte Doyle, this Avi y/a novel concerns two kids with different ways of disguising the truth about their family lives. It was a very powerful book for me in jr. high.
Tani Griffin
Conrad lives in St. Louis with his Aunt Lu and Uncle Carl. His parents live in New York. After the divorce, it was decided this was best for everyone. And it is, until Conrad realizes that his parents no longer seem to know him. He hasn't seen them in almost a year, and the presents they sent for Christmas were things he didn't care about. When his aunt and uncle tell him he's going to England for vacation instead of New York to see his parents, he becomes desperate to fi
This book was a read aloud in fifth grade, and at the time, I thought it was one of the best books I had read the whole year. I could picture the whole story really clearly in my mind, almost as if it was a TV show I was watching. I pictured what the main character (Conrad) looked like, and his hometown. I was actually sort of sad when we finished the book, because I had really enjoyed reading (well, more like listening) to it. The characters were very realistic and I could relate to how they fe ...more
Nov 10, 2009 reigndrops rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers, gr. 4-8
Recommended to reigndrops by: One of my best middle school teachers
I read this when I was 11, so I would reccommend this book for middle schoolers.

It's basically a story about a boy and a girl who both have many complicated family problems. They get to know each other and help each other face these problems. I know this review is lacking...but it was a long time ago, and if I mention anything else, it would probably ruin the book.

By the way, the ending is AMAZING.
I think this book had a very good plot idea. However, the book kind of lost me in the middle. The whole thing about his parents being divorsed did not affect the book as much as I would have liked it to.
It was an ok book.
What a strange book. Deals with broken marriages that break apart and that insist on staying together, and the damage that comes to the children in those marriages.
I read this book based on title alone when I was younger. I only remember now that it was sort of sad.
Erin O.
This is a fantastic small book! Stick with it until the very end and it will be very worth it.
Erika is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2015
Huong marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Trang Sun
Trang Sun marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Irna Dhestaria
Irna Dhestaria marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Gil marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
WafA'A Saleh
WafA'A Saleh marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Mira marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • To Take A Dare
  • The Night Crossing
  • A Billion for Boris
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • Celine
  • Dear Miffy
  • The Haunted Burial Ground (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller #7)
  • Jean and Johnny  (First Love, #3)
  • The Cowgirl Aunt of Harriet Bean (Harriet Bean, #3)
  • Terry Jones' Fairy Tales
  • Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Sharing Susan
  • Alida's Song
  • Holding Up the Earth
  • Dessert First
  • Up on Cloud Nine
  • A Book of Coupons
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...

“Now give me a kiss, say you love me and off you go."
"Sure, Aunt Lu," I said, and I gave her the kiss she wanted. Then I ran out and caught my bus. I didn't say I loved her. I guess I did. But asking someone to say they love you--and she always asked--is like buying yourself a birthday present. It's more than likely exactly what you want. But it must make you feel awfully sad to get it.”
“Then the silence came back, that awful silence that seemed to just take over.
In that silence I kept hearing what I had said--heard it repeating itself over and over again like a stuck record. I wanted it to stop. I didn't want to say things like that anymore. I was sick of that kind of lying. I wished I could say something real.
But the silence was too big.”