Start by marking “Primal Heat (Primes, #5) ” as Want to Read:
Primal Heat (Primes, #5)

Primal Heat (Primes, #5) (Primes #5)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,875 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Can a heroic vampire protect his clan from danger -- and save himself from burning desire?

As Prime of his vampire Family, Mathias Bridger is sworn to protect his own kind at any cost -- but years of acting as a fierce guardian of his people have left him yearning for more out of life. His chance comes in the form of Phillipa Elliot, the beautiful police officer whose all

Published July 25th 2006 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Primal Heat (Primes, #5), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primal Heat (Primes, #5)

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMortal Bite by Sharon HamiltonVampire Academy by Richelle MeadShadow Love by Claudy ConnHoneymoon Bite by Sharon Hamilton
Best Vampire Series Adult or YA
120th out of 278 books — 189 voters
Feral Sins by Suzanne WrightGo Fetch! by Shelly LaurenstonPack Challenge by Shelly LaurenstonTempting the Beast by Lora LeighA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Best Werewolf Erotica
199th out of 462 books — 853 voters

More lists with this book...

Amber Rose
May 15, 2008 Amber Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves firey passion and english accents
Recommended to Amber by: My mother...
Susan did it again! Another of her entrancing stories with beautiful charactors, a twisting plot and chemistry that set the sheets on fire. Phillipa is a strong woman, but like all strong women, she has a weakness. Matt Bridger, the mysterious best man with an accent that makes my skin chill. He has a sweet tooth for Phillipa and he wants to satisfy it.

Drawn togehter for one night of firey passion, Matt leave Phillipa in her bed without a backward glance. Years later, they come together again as
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 28, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
the only thing that kept this from being a 5 is that the hero and heroine went from lust to love without seeing each other for 3 years. It wasn't believable enough for me. The rest of the storyline, the side characters, everything else was fabulous. The lust was great, but it wasn't quite a 5.
Philippa had a one night stand with Matthias at her sister's wedding and 3 years later for the baby's blessing/baptism, they meet again. But Philippa's supposedly going through a ton of stuff...but we don'
Danielle
Aug 30, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: susan-sizemore

A great series if you like the sexual strong male characters and their equally strong minded mates. For those who like vampires and romance will not want to put the book down. At the wedding of Phillipa Elliot's sister Josephine to Marcus Cage, she meets Prime vampire Matt Bridger and the pair come together for a night of great sex. Three years later they are brought together to be godparents of her newly born nephew Brandon. When the family comes under attack from Purists with an agenda of thei
ceecee
Jul 30, 2015 ceecee rated it liked it
When I began this book I didn't realize it was a series, so when I began the book I was a little lost on the beginning. After I read through a few chapters I didn't feel like I missed much. I guess each book is a stand-alone, with a few references to characters in previous and future books.

After just the first chapter this book reminded me of the books written by Lynsay Sands, the "Argeneau" series. Both books are about Vampires who are not evil, but who have occasional rogues that murder huma
Katie
May 24, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
This was actually a very interesting novel for me to read. It's not every day that you read a novel based on a character's sister, and have it go so well. What made it even more interesting to me was when I found out about her disease. It can be hard to corporate something like that into a novel successfully. The fact that this novel did just that was the icing on top of the cake. It was dangerous and sexy at the same time, which made it easier to read. The characters were very dramatic in their ...more
Kristen
Apr 16, 2010 Kristen rated it it was ok
Viohlet
This was really hard to follow. It jumped around from viewpoint to viewpoint (total of four) and a lot of description was left out. It never fully made sense.

Also, the author just assumed readers would know what she also does, as I can across quite a few terms and abbreviations that I had no idea of the meaning of, and it was never explained.

Also, in this alternate 'supernatural exists' type world, there's no history. Half the time, I had no idea what anyone was on about. There was no backstory,
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Phillipa is at her sisters vamp wedding & meets Matthias. They have a fling. Oops... they are bonded. 3 years later they are together again & are solving a mystery. Robberies, murders & purists after Phillipa, her sister & new nephew.

In between the wedding & baptism Phillipa was shot. What that has to do with anything was beyond me. The how or why never came up, so maybe it's in another book? But after reading several of these stories, they're all this way. Tidbits thrown in
mlady_rebecca
Edit 12/10/2010:

Oops! Re-read this one and didn't realize it was a re-read. Talk about forgettable. Did like the scene with werewolf in the lion cage. That felt vaguely familiar, but I was attributing that to a similar story from another author. Previous review stands. Fast, decent read, but forgettable.

*****

Review from August 31, 2008.

I read this really fast, and I was enjoying it while I was in the middle of the story, but I think it's ultimately one of those forgettable books.

With the best s
Nicki Markus
Apr 15, 2012 Nicki Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
This is standard fare for a PNR series: vampire and mortal love, werewolves and action. What I did like about this series was that, while this was the fifth book in a series, you could read it as a standalone piece. Perhaps there would have been more information on some of the vampire hierarchy in the earlier books, but previous events were never referred to, so you didn't feel like you were stepping into a story part way through.

I did think the lead characters' romance was a bit fast and unbeli
Marie
Apr 01, 2016 Marie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-bingo, romance
Well, I picked this up in a clearance bin and didn't realize it was the fifth one in a series -- but to be honest, it didn't much matter. The world was easy enough to figure out, but I'm sure whatever questions I did have could have been answered in the first book.

Still, I'm not a big fan of this book because while it was a quick read and served it's purpose well-- a divider between two different fantasy series I wanted to read, I don't think I'll be picking up anything by this author again.

The
Gina
Apr 29, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
Susan Sizemore does it again. She creates colorful characters that stand out on their own, and this time you didn't know who the 'evil' one was until near the end. I was surprised how Phillipa went with the flow instead of demanding more. She seemed stronger a character than that at the beginning, even with everything going on in her life. Still, I was happy to see her and Matt together. There was just the right amount of action, even though I would have liked to see a battle between Phillipa an ...more
Jenny Q
Mar 27, 2011 Jenny Q rated it really liked it
I really liked this! Yes, it's another vampire series, but it's different enough to stand out. And it has werewolves, too, and ya'll know I like a good werewolf! Sizemore has a very easy, natural writing style with a touch of humor and a lot of heat! (But it's fairly clean, and no cussing, either.) It's got a good plot that kept me guessing. (Though I could've done with a few less POV shifts.) This is fifth in a series and all of the main characters are in various types of law enforcement, which ...more
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This story is probably very good. I like the book even though for some reason I couldn't get it. That was because is a sequel to 4 other previous books plus this story can not stand alone, you must have read the previous books in order to understand the story. It was a good read over all.
Michelle
Sep 16, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
You know my fave started wit Marc. I liked him. But now I think the line up is now Laurent, then Matt, then Marc. I really have enjoyed the personality and humor of Laurent and Matt.
Andreasoldier
Jan 07, 2013 Andreasoldier rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires, romance
I read one book in this series and thank goodness. Clan, Tribe, Family, Purists, Prime? Sooner or later, mostly later most becomes clear, but there is a lot unanswered.
Basically the two leads, one a vampire, have a one-night stand at a wedding and can't forget each other. They meet again at a family chrtistening and wham-bam thank you ma'am they're back in bed.
True love through sex. Not much substance in the relationship, but a little more in the story. The Purists want to kill all vampires, th
Molly Smith
Feb 19, 2016 Molly Smith rated it liked it
Great book, in some ways better than the previous. It continues to be an enjoyable series.
nicole
Beth
Apr 16, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
I didn't realize that I was reading the fifth book of this series. I'd like to go back and read at least the first in the series to see if it helps make sense of some of this book. I liked the characters Matt (Mathias - what an awesome name) and Phillipa, but I would've liked to have seen more memorable steamy scenes. It seems like they were just falling all over each other for no reason; I'd like to see if the previous books explain the bonding a little better. It's not one of my favorite books ...more
Jtaylor
Jan 29, 2016 Jtaylor rated it really liked it
loved this book. couldn't put it down
Michelle
Feb 17, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-romance
Matthias Bridger is the enforcer for the Families--the vampire charged with keeping order within the race so that the uneasy peace with the human race can continue. He knows first hand what the loss of a bondmate can mean to a Prime male and he's never been willing to put himself in that position. His cousin Marcus has other plans, however, and conspires to throw Matt and his sister-in-law Phillippa together at every opportunity.
Trina
Jan 29, 2014 Trina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
3.5**
Kristin
Oct 03, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing
There's a reason I love Susan Sizemore! Her books are rather addicting. Book 5 and I'm not bored. I love that werewolves are really coming into play and that in Primal Heat you really get the feel for the whole vampire society - complete w/ their own cop!
Lacy
Aug 13, 2010 Lacy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lacy by: lacyndah@yahoo.com
Working on my review. But one thing I learned is that it is tough picking up a part of a series that is as closely connected as the Primes when it's been years since you read the earlier books and you haven't read the previous book. Definitely read these books in order and as close together as you can.
Lyn
Feb 25, 2011 Lyn rated it it was amazing
Definately a great read. I enjoyed the different concept of Sizmore's vampire world. I was drawn in by the main character's Mathias Bridger's masculine prowess and lusty passion for his intended Phillipa Elliot who happenes to be a beautiful fiesty cop. Great plot and great ending. One of my favs for PNR!
Jan
Dec 09, 2007 Jan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance - Vampire Lovers
The 5th book in the Vampire “PRIMES” series

Another delicious and lustful 8 hour marathon read. I’ve always had a weakness for british male accents and a good looking guy with smile dimples always makes my insides turn to goo. Matt Bridger Muurroowwwww!!!!
Omly
Jan 24, 2009 Omly rated it liked it
These books are addictive, but romantic vampire fluff at best. I like the way she has decided to play out both vampire and werewolf culture and limitations in many respects, but for some reason I just can't get behind the bond-mates.
Penny
Jul 22, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I kept stalling in begining to read this book ,but as soon as i picked up i couldn't put it down. Love the romance, mystery, paranomal and humor. The characters were very intresting and brought the whole story together.
Lady
Oct 16, 2012 Lady marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tina
Nov 14, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fsf
This was my favorite book in the Prime series so far. I finished it in a few short hours, just couldnt put it down. On to the next.....
  • The Shadows of Christmas Past (Christmas Series, #3; Primes, #2.5)
  • A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2)
  • Night Bites (Mackenzie Vampires #2)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • Desire After Dark (Vampire Trilogy, #3)
  • Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Out of the Night (Night Slayer, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature, #2)
  • Courting Midnight (Midnight, #3)
  • Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #3)
  • The Hunger (Companion, #2)
  • Prince of Twilight (Wings in the Night #12)
Susan Sizemore's life and interests include such varied activities as medieval costuming and embroidery, being a chef, and working in the defense industry.She is owned by her spoiled rotten, beloved mutt dog, rather than the other way around, and this is just fine with her.Current hobbies include hiking and studying t'ai chi. She travels whenever she can, loves history, loud music, movies, good co ...more
More about Susan Sizemore...

Primes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • I Burn for You (Primes, #1)
  • I Thirst for You (Primes, #2)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
  • Master of Darkness (Primes, #4)
  • Primal Desires (Primes, #6)
  • Primal Needs (Primes, #7)
  • Dark Stranger (Primes, #8)
  • Primal Instincts (Primes, #9)
  • Primal Call (Primes, #10)
  • Primal Cravings (Primes, #11)