Start by marking “Harry Potter Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-3)

Harry Potter Box Set (Harry Potter #1-3)

4.65  ·  Rating Details ·  5,145 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
The Harry Potter Box Set (Years I-III) contains hardcover editions of the first three Harry Potter books packed in a beautifully decorated sturdy cardboard slipcase.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a myster

Hardcover
Published November 1st 1999 by Scholastic Trade (first published January 1st 1999)

Zara
Feb 18, 2009 Zara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Potter makes the world go round.
Ruby
Jul 16, 2009 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd story has always been my favorite so I had to read it again. Of all the books it's the only one where Harry Potter is not battling Lord Voldemort so-as the little kid I was when I started reading-it was not "scary." I also loved finding out Sirius was a good guy and that Harry finally had a family. A great book for good feelings.

The second one was just as fun. Dobby is such a classic character and he always makes me laugh. My all time favorite was Professor Lockhart because he was such
Esam
Oct 30, 2016 Esam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry potter, an orphen who had lived with his aunt family, and had suffer from their mistreatment , discovers that he is a wizard, and not any wizard he is a legend in the Magic realm, and that he is the reason of the defeat of the most powerful dark wizards who also killed his parents. and because the incident happened when he was 1 year old he dont remember anything about it, his only reminder was a lightning shaped scar on his forhead.
beeing a legion doesnt mean his life will be easy, he had
Lb Baker
Apr 14, 2013 Lb Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm only thing this boxset instead of the three books individually because I absolutely hate the American title: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone" Was there actually any need to change the title? Are there no philosophers in the US? Anyway, no need to rage.
Oceana
One of the best book series ever written.
Martin Hunter
Jan 11, 2014 Martin Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone has become one of the most well known and popular children’s books of all time. I my opinion this is a well deserved accolade, this book is perfectly suited for those within the 8-12 age range, however readers of any age may enjoy this title.

The story centres around an 11 year old boy named Harry Potter. Harry is an orphan who has grown up with his aunt, uncle and cousin. Harry discovers that he is in fact a wizard and that his parents were killed by an ev
Noah
Feb 27, 2009 Noah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave in and decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. I enjoyed all the books, but the pacing is a little off. The earlier books are more obviously children's books, and then, as the broader appeal of the series became clear, she started to write for a more adult audience and both the plotlines and prose become more convoluted. If for some odd reason you haven't read these yet, I'd recommend them, if only for the sake of cultural literacy.
Allison
Jan 29, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It is always so nice and comforting to revisit the world of Harry Potter. This was my first time listening to it on audio, and it was a new and different experience, yet as familiar as ever. Jim Dale does a great job with the narration; due to the movies, I've almost come to grips with things being pronounced differently than in my head while reading, but Jim Dale threw a whole nother wrench into it - Gryffindah, Voldemorrrr, etc. I still loved it though, how could you not?
Hal Wilkes
Daddy's read you the first two so far, but by the end of the second it was getting pretty scary so we haven't embarked on the third. You've listened to Philosopher's Stone on CD with Stephen Fry, too, though I think Daddy is MUCH better at doing the voices, especially Hagrid and Harry. Stephen Fry makes all the characters sound quite posh, but Daddy's character's are much better defined and sound more like themselves. He's very funny.
Lee Tozer
Apr 04, 2016 Lee Tozer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The first three books in Rowling's series were the highpoint, perhaps to be unsurpassed in its particular genre. Although the later entries became somewhat overlong, fans of the series didn't want it to end.
Jane
Feb 05, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourites
The beginnings of the best series ever.
Sabrina
Jul 16, 2017 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-books
I re-read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
 Mary Maryyyyyyyyyyyyy
Rylee Jane
Jun 16, 2012 Rylee Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three books were magical, simple yet amazingly written and gutwrenchingly enjoyable.
I saw the movies before I read the books because I heard that if you read the books before you watch the movie there is a higher chance of not liking the movie because you imagined a very different one in your head while reading the book. Anyways..
Philosophers Stone I read three times! IN A ROW! It was that good! The way that JK Rowling wrote the series is amazing it's simple but still gives you all the deta
Marcus
Apr 19, 2014 Marcus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-read
I can't but help classify this book Series as overrated. Really the first three books of the Harry Potter Series are just Okay. And not the good ok, but the not so great, I'd rather eat a turkey sandwich and watch that cheesy cartoon 'Captain Planet,' okay.

first book was just okay, the second book, was like poking out my left. and the third book was like stepping on my big toe. And then doing poka dance. (Okay maybe not that book.) But really my life would have gone on fine if I never picked up
Rita
Mar 22, 2009 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I actually just read is Book 2 only: Chamber of Secrets.
Regret that it is the US edition, as I would prefer the original text with its 'Britishisms'.
But this is Karin's copy and she has the whole set in the US edition.

I enjoyed this a lot. I think DOBBY is the invention of a genius. Intriguing character.

My only criticism is the completely stereotyped nagging-housewife character of Mrs Weasley. Most unbelievable in someone with her powers. What was Rowling thinking??? [or have I missed some
Mxdude
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS

This is a very interesting book because he doesnt actually go to school at hogwarts at the start of this book, also he has to live at his aunt and uncles house because his parents are dead. Harry was expecting letters from his friends Harmione and Ron, but he never got any. His aunt and uncles names are uncle Vernon Dursley and aunt Petunia Dursley and they have a son called Dudley. Harry has to stay in his room all day and he has a pet owl and hes not allo
Lara
Sep 17, 2013 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
I was definitely a member of Generation HP. I was obsessed with these books, and I finally lost count of how many times I read them. My friends and I took on the personas of characters in the books (I was Ron) and would act it out at recess. Stellar read, obviously.

Books
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4 stars
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4 stars
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 4 stars
Lauren
Feb 26, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Harry Potter fan! I read the first four books in primary school before books 5,6 and 7 came out. Since then I've read the whole collection numerous times. I have chosen the first three books because I think they are perfect for the older half of ks2 to read. I thoroughly enjoy the Potter books because of the bond of friendships and the mystery and magic which all 9-11 year olds enjoy. I believe it's a good resource for teaching in ks2 because there are lots of room to change parts suc ...more
Lauren
Dec 20, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OVERALL: 4 stars

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) - 4 stars

I held off on reading these book until the third one came out and I got them all for Christmas. I was immediately hooked! The storyline was great and the characters were fun and easy to relate to (you know without the magic aspect).

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) - 4 stars

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) - 4 stars
This was an interesting continuation of the series.
Alison
Jan 03, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Harry Potter books are my favourite of all time. Many other people must also think so because my hero, J K Rowling is the first author billionaire. I hope anybody reading this will read it, because it will change your life forever. I love the Harry Potter series and beg Joanne to write more of Harry and his children. When I grow up, the first books I will read to my children will be the Tales of Beedle the Bard, which I currently read every night before I go to bed. Thank you sooooo much Jo!
Renay
Aug 09, 2010 Renay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed reading these three books immensely. well written and easy to read the story is interesting and mysterious.
after watching all the movies again the other day and catching on to yet more of the mysteries involved within the story i decided it was time to finally restart and finish reading the nooks.
the first three i was through in a day each and enjoyed thoroughly. i am picking up ever more of the little secrets and mysteries as i read.
it's amazing what happens when i concentrate! haha
g
Eulix
Mar 20, 2009 Eulix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I've never read these books before, though my cousin was obsessed and tried to get me to read them. I was president of amnesty international when I was in college. Upon hearing that the author was part of the British chapter of amnesty and that these books are her portrayal of human rights injustices/social justice, etc... I became interested in reading. These are very entertaining books; I like them a lot. And I can see many elements of the author's amnesty background. I'm looking ...more
Chantelle Attrill
Sep 10, 2015 Chantelle Attrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the series you can feel the writing style develop. The third book has always been my favourite. I read it in one afternoon when I was seven and strained my eyes. My Nan laughed at me and said I should read Goblet of fire slower as it is a longer book. The best aspect of the books is the characters because you really get to know how they think. This means the films were done well. However the books have a lot more detail allowing greater exploration and wonder at the magical school of ...more
Julia
Sep 11, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really interesting for me to read the first Harry Potter book with words spelled differently. I noticed that I could easily guess what the words were, and it made me realize that the American English and the British English really aren't that different. The story is the same, but a lot of the words are different or spelled differently. I enjoyed this book a lot, and I read it over again occasionally. I like it about the same amount that I like the American version of the first one.
Miss Smith
Finally started reading these and as usual, the books give a lot more detail and background than the movies. Good entertaining reads. Some of the things that happen in the books I feel you would find more horrifying if they were not spoken so matter of factly or accepted so easily by the characters. One of those reasons why people who read them say "they're not for children" but I think that helps make them very good for them.
David
Jul 24, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was, I pretend, forced to read these books because all of my nearly nephews and neices (the NNN's)made reference to them in letters and emails. In truth, having completed the first book I was as hooked as hooked could be!
Of course there are better children's books out there and there are better characters to enjoy, but these were very much part of the lives of the NNN's for ten years and I loved being able to rattle off my bits of muggle and magic chatter with them.
Katy
Apr 30, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, I love all of the Harry Potter books I have read! These are:
Philosopher's stone.
Chamber of secrets.
Prisoner of Askaban.
Goblet of fire.
And I am currently reading the half blood prince which, so far, is amazing too. Whenever I'm upset I pick up my Harry Potter book and all of my troubles are forgotten as I am joining him on his adventures. I would recommend this book 100%
Anthony Christo
Jan 25, 2017 Anthony Christo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the harry potter book i only read the 1st one it was a action filled book with lots of suspence and the book had good theme and imagry i felt like i was in the book with reading it. A few quotes from the book i liked is "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" and "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” so in conclution it was a good book you should definitly read it and the movies are great too!
Margareth8537
Jul 15, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bought the Philosopher's stone for the library when it came out and was very impressed by the way some of our young readers reacted. Immediately caught their imagination. We preordered any others she wrote.
I always read them first and enjoyed them. Can understand some of the negative comments, but think she has developed her characters well throughout the series, and I wait just as eagerly as the youngsters for her next ones
Goodreads Librari...: 3 HP books combined and no Page count 3 36 Aug 26, 2011 12:08PM
  • Prince Caspian / The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader / The Silver Chair (The Chronicles Of Narnia Book 2,3,4)
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • New Clues to Harry Potter Book 5: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Movie Poster Book
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • The Snake Charm
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Literacy Resource Packet
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-4)
  • Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End
  • Webster's New World Dictionary
  • The Mysteries Collection (3 Stories)
  • Dan Brown Boxed Set: Digital Fortress / Deception Point / Angels and Demons / The Da Vinci Code
  • Artemis Fowl Boxed Set (Artemis Fowl, #1-2)
  • Kingsolver Fiction Collection Four-Book Set (Pigs in Heaven, Bean Trees, Poisonwood Bible, Prodigal Summer)
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter