The Civil War Trilogy: Gods and Generals / The Killer Angels / The Last Full Measure (The Civil War: 1861-1865 #1-3 omnibus)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  801 ratings  ·  67 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLERS
MICHAEL SHAARA and JEFF SHAARA
Â
THE CIVIL WAR TRILOGY
GODS AND GENERALS
THE KILLER ANGELS
THE LAST FULL MEASURE

“Brilliant does not even begin to describe the Shaara gift.”â��The Atlanta Journal-Constitution...more
Published April 27th 1999 by Ballantine Books

Misfit
These three books should be required reading in school. Very eye opening to the horrors of war.

Gods and Generals - Fascinating portrayal of a sad time in US History, as told from the perspectives of the generals involved in these campaigns. I was most particularly moved by Lee and his torn loyalties to the US Army and his home state of Virginia, and most especially by the great Stonewall Jackson. I've come across the names in history classes (oh so long ago) and the occasional novel covering th...more
Lee Ann
Loved all three, with Gods and Generals being the best of them.
Heather
I'm really not much in to the war history thing, all the little details of who surrounded who's flank, etc, BUT this was a very compelling fictionalization of the real life people leading the armies of both sides of the war.

Gods & Generals felt a little too appologetic for the Southern states. It was, afterall, really about slavery, no matter how much some might want to white-wash this as state's rights. Maybe it felt that way because the folks in charge of the Union's army were complete bu...more
Wendy Rabe
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara gripped me from the moment I started it, another one of those books dangerous for a mother to start as it could lead to the neglect of children. (Fortunately, mine are old enough that at least serious accidents were ruled out during my stolen moments.) The portraits of the warriors are vivid. Robert E. Lee's honor and character are captured, along with the devotion of his men and even what might be seen as arrogance that led to Pickett's Charge. The heroism of...more
Morgan
I didn't get a chance to read Gods and Generals, but I thoroughly enjoyed the other two books in the trilogy, especially "The Last Full Measure." I'm certainly not an expert, but these must certainly be among the best historical fictions of all time. It feels like an understatement calling them fiction even - given that although they were fictitiously written from the internal 1st person points-of-view of the minds of major generals such as Robert E. Lee, Ulysess S. Grant ($50 bill), and a few o...more
Shawn Cunningham
Three individual books that tie in with each other closely. The authors bring individuality into a time when the country was in great turmoil and helps to show major events through the eyes of some of the closest players and greatest men.

All three of these books are a must-read for anyone interested in history or the Civil War. The authors write and you feel like you get to know the characters, only to realize how tragic the times were when these people whom you've followed so closely meet viol...more
Jonathan
May 31, 2011 Jonathan marked it as to-read

'"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. This absorbing and pulse-quickening immersion into the four bloody days of Gettysburg won its author the 1975 Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Robert E. Lee, James Longstreet, George Pickett and J.E.B. Stewart wear gray, and Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, John Buford, George Gordon Meade and Winfield Scott Hancock wear blue, each man playing out his fatal role. Their outsize characters, joined with others, drive the story,...more
Erin Fisher
I decided to read this trilogy after reading Seabiscuit since that author was inspired by The Killer Angels and the historic novel style. I learned so much about the civil war from this series and found the telling very entertaining. The novels are historically accurate but the converstaions in the books are fictional. From reading you are able to get a sense of the personalities and beliefs of some of the leading figures in the war, on both sides. The telling is from the point of view of certia...more
Beth Stickel
I felt like I was there.
Chris Kaftan
Jul 13, 2007 Chris Kaftan rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: history
Similar to what I wrote about the "Rising Tide."

This book is a triology written by the father-son team of Michael (father) and Jeff (son) Shaara.

Michael wrote "The Killer Angels" in 1974, and his son followed with "Gods and Generals" (prequel) and "The Last Full Measure" as a sequel to Killer Angels. All books cover the entire years of the Civil War from 1858 to 1865.

Focuses on main characters and their perspectives on war and life and uses descriptive terms to describe what battle really sou...more
Hannah Thomas
This is an AWESOME trilogy of the civil war and how went. Both sides tactics and who commanded what. My favorite is 'The Killer Angels' because the novel is based on the Battle of Gettysburg. The Last Full Measure is the aftermath battles of Gettysburg, with lovely endings that will make you shed tears, and 'Gods and Generals' is based on the battles before the Battle of Gettysburg. If you are a history fanatic and just dying to learn more, read these novels!
Joseph Howard
Jul 12, 2008 Joseph Howard rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history/military history
Absolute perfection! Shaara takes these historical features we've all learned about in school...and turns them into the real people they were! The chapters follow a different person each time, and you often find yourself sympathizing with "the other side". If you can't afford to lose sleep, this trilogy isn't for you! I could hardly put each book down, and when I completed the last sentance of the last book, I honestly felt sad because it was over.
Jill
The movie "Gettysburg" was based on "The Killer Angels," which was the first book written by Jeff Shaara's father, Michael Shaara. "Gods and Generals" also has its own movie. Both star Jeff Daniels. Great books! I recommend watching the movies first; it will give you visuals for the books, which at times are full of battle details. A wonderful look at the Civil war battlefield!
Maureen
I finished Gods and Generals. This may be the first book on the Civil War that I have read. From this account, it is amazing that the North won the war with the ineptitude of the North's generals. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is excellent! I finally finished The Last Full Measure and was happy that Lee surrendered. This was not as good as the other two books.
Robert
I read first The Killer Angels (the first book written by father), then Gods and Generals and Full Measure - written by son. Great books, and really the only historical novels I've read. Currently reading same author's writing on the revolution. Killer Angels was great, I picture more about the war from that book than I did from civil war text books.
Becky
Loved every one of these books. I did find Jeff to be a better writer than his father. These books started my love for history. For the first time, after reading them, history became about people and not just dates on a page. I appreciated what they were able to do for my perspective. It is unfortunate that I never had a real history teacher.
Linda
I stumbled reading this novel. I am just not aware of the history lesson during th Civil War. I like reading historical fiction. Perhaps the way the chapters were ordered gave me cause to be confused. I am going on to read the KILLER ANGELS which is by his father and a Pulizer Prize winning novel.
Becca
Oh be still my beating heart, I LOVE these books. I highly recommend starting with the second, The Killer Angels, which was written first. The masterful writing of Michael Shaara is unmatched by his son, but Gods and Generals and the Last Full Measure are also well worth reading.
Ken Elser
I've never been much of a historical fiction reader, but this series grabs you and takes you in, elaborating on the legendary characters of the Civil War (Grant, Lee, Chamberlein, Jackson, etc.) and you learn an unbelievable amount from it. Highly recommended!
Tiff
I have read the first two of these books and they are really great. They are very historically accurate depictions of the battle of Gettysburg and such. It is historical fiction so you learn facts but get it in the form of a novel with dialogue and such.
Susan Kerr
I can't say any more than those before me! I was fascinated with the strategy and ingenuity displayed in this war. I cannot imagine hand to hand combat. Brother against brother and families torn by loyalties to their homeland. It is hard to imagine.
Grreenpailmom
This series is a much more interesting way to learn history than textbooks. I doubted I would like to read it, but when I finally got around to opening it and starting to read, it caught my attention and I finished the first one quickly.
Judidietrich
If you are interested in the Civil War, these three books are excellent. They read like novels, but have all the real Generals from the Civil War, and the Battles. Definitely read them in order. They are some of the best I've read.
Andrea
i love reading things about the civil war. 'killer angels' was my favorite, but the other two are good as well. it's historical fiction, so you get an easier read while still catching much of the historical fact.
Mary Etta
These were the books I recommended for the Civil War. I heard Jeff Shaara at a library conference the day before publication of God's and Generals. He is the son of Michael Shaara, author of The Killer Angels.
Liz
Well, I had to read this for school, but I remember this was a unit I rather liked. The Civil War fascinates me, and these are wonderful vivid books describing the period. A must for anyone that likes history.
The first two were better than the last, but all did a great job of taking you into the Civil War. I learned way more reading these than I ever knew about the Civil War before. I highly recommend.
Yvette
If you want to understand the mentality of men during the Civil War, these books will give you a good perspective. These books are fascinating, and I would highly recommend all three books!
Sally
Historical fiction. I really enjoy reading about the civil war. This trilogy gives an interesting insight to what the soldiers were going through during this time in our country's history.
Linda
Love Jeff Shaara- fabulously researched historical fiction about America, this being the Civil War Trilogy...

Killer Angels puts a human face on Gettysburg...
I reread it periodically
  • Gone For Soldiers
  • Gettysburg
  • 1812 (American Story)
  • Rescuing Da Vinci: Hitler and the Nazies Stole Europe's Great Art America and Her Allies Recovered It
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won the Civil War
  • Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • Never Call Retreat
  • Savannah: Or a Gift For Mr. Lincoln
  • The Passing of Armies: An Account Of The Final Campaign Of The Army Of The Potomac
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Eighth Annual Collection
  • Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War
  • Vicksburg, 1863
Michael Shaara (June 23, 1928 - May 5, 1988) was an American writer of science fiction, sports fiction, and historical fiction. He was born to Italian immigrant parents (the family name was originally spelled Sciarra, which in Italian is pronounced the same way) in Jersey City, New Jersey, graduated from Rutgers University in 1951, and served as a sergeant in the 82nd Airborne division prior to th...more
More about Michael Shaara...
The Killer Angels For Love of the Game The Noah Conspiracy The Broken Place Conquest Over Time