Start by marking “Fools Die” as Want to Read:
Fools Die

Fools Die

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  3,875 ratings  ·  156 reviews
Fools Die is a novel that only Mario Puzo could have written. Encompassing America's golden triangle of corruption - New York, Hollywood, Las Vegas. It plunges you into the electric excitement of luxurious gambling casinos - the heady arena for high rollers and big-time hustlers, scheming manipulators and fancy hookers - a world of greed, lust, violence, and betrayal, wh ...more
Published 1979 by Pan Books Ltd. (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Fools Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fools Die

Ahmed
أنت بتنتظر الكثير من مبدع (العرّاب ) , لما بتقرأ رواية تحمل اسمه بتعلى بسقف طموحاتك من المتعة المُنتظرة , وللحق : العمل كان عند حسن الظن به.

فى افتتاحية الرواية يقول الكاتب : (تذكر أنني أستاذ في السحر , يمكنني أن أسوق هؤلاء البشر جميعًا أحياء . أستطيع أن أريك ما الذي يفكرون فيه حقا ويشعرون. ستبكي من أجلهم , من أجلهم جميعًا , أعدك بهذا. أو ستضحك فقط. على أية حال , سننال قسطًا كبيرًا من المرح . ونتعلم شيئًا عن الحياة. الأمر الذي لا فائدة كبيرة فيه. )
وقد كان الكاتب صادق بشكل مفزع فيما ذكر , فقد ك
Brian Fagan
This is a big, sloppy, at times poorly edited book. But, it was also ambitious, energetic, poetic and at times genius. Puzo swung for the fences with this book and 'tho the heavens may fall' he did whatever he wanted to. The storyline is almost nonexistent. Instead you follow Merlyn, the protagonist, as he lives his life as a sometimes gambler, government clerk, husband and father, successful writer, Hollywood hack, and loyal friend to some old Vegas buddies.

I love these kinds of books. Books w
أميرة عتمان

كتاب جعلني أعيش المعني الحرفي لعبارة " طفح الكيل"

في الصفحات الأولي من الكتاب , كتب المؤلف مقدمة , تجعلك تشعر و كأنك بصدد إحدي روائع دوستويفسكي , بل و ربما أروع , بل إن الكاتب يعدُك فيما يعدك بأنك ستزداد فهماً للحياة بعد هذا الكتاب و أشياء أخري كثيرة من هذا القبيل .

في الحقيقة , هذا الكتاب الذي تقل صفحاته عن السبمعائة بقليل من القطع الكبير, عبارة عن هُراءٍ خالص .
لا شئ , لا قصة , لا حبكة , لا عظة , لا أي شئ .

بل إنني مع الوقت بدأت أفقد أعصابي , و أصب جامّ سخطي علي
"المجلس الأعلي للثقافة "
المبجل
Ágata Bresil
I opened this book with no urge to read it. I expected a mess in my brain with games in Las Vegas. Well, I was completely wrong. Mario Puzo, author of this book, is the same author of The Godfather and I could stand here and say a lot about his works. What I know is that this book surprised me, I've never watched The Godfather (I'll see soon), so I had no idea what I would read.

Brian Gordon
This is Puzo's finest hour....except no one really gets it. This book is about real people and fate and magic. The story goes in several directions but manages to come back home in a solid fashion. Everyone should give it a read, I've read it several times.
Thea
Един Пузо, съвсем различен от онзи, когото срещнах в „Кръстника”.

„Умират глупаците” за мен е трудът на живота му.
Някаква определена сюжетна нишка, за която да се хванеш, липсва. Книгата е особена. Много повече е израз на философията на Пузо, отколкото просто роман. Хаотичен израз при това, амбициозен, огромен във всеки смисъл.

Интересното е, че ми трябваше година, докато прелистя и последната страница. Поредното доказателство, че всяка книга си има точното време, в което да бъде позната, разбр
V.E.
This book is like a different Puzo. Reading the reviews at the beginning I got the feeling that the critics were not especially crazy about this one and after reading it I understood why. Puzo's The Godfather earned him the reputation of a writer that gives the reader a good thrill. No need to really enter the minds of the characters, their deeds speak for them. When you see a Puzo you expect a down and dirty tale of men's vices, violence and deeds done in the dark, especially those of the Mafia ...more
Travis
Definitely took some time to get in to, but once I was in I was hooked.

I read several reviews of this book claiming that it was a departure from Puzo's normal style, and that it was unlike his masterpeice, The Godfather. I totally disagree. The story here follows big and powerful people, skipping cross-country through a dizzying melee of sex, money, power, fame, love, hatred, blame, denial, loss, and luck - and remains the whole while to be an ultimately human experience. That's really what Puzo
Aurobindo Nayak
I opened this book with a big urge to read it. After all it was the second Mario Puzo book i had picked up after being thoroughly engrossed and impressed with 'The Godfather'. This book surprised me as it wasn't a regular Puzo style writing.

The book begins with the story of four people who became friends at a Las Vegas casino and plays all night, leading a wave of luck. Merlyn, who changed his name after making sure that he was the magician of King Arthur, Cully, the master of the 21 counts, Jor
Jillanne Johnson
Just an opinion but...I feel Mario Puzo was resting on his laurels from The Godfather when he wrote this book. It rambles on for over 5oo pages without going anywhere different, exciting or important. I really wanted to like it but by the end I was choking my way through it!
Ritika
A big disappointment from someone like Mario Puzo.Seems a bit stretched and is quite boring in between.He has written better books so don't waste your time on this.
An Average read!
Mahmoud Taher
رواية جميلة جدا لماريو بوزو فليس غريبا على من كتب الاب الروحى أروع فيلم فى التاريخ أن يكتب رواية مثل هذه
Estelle
I'm having a hard time deciding how to rate this book.
I truly enjoyed the first half of it, I was hooked from the very first Chapter and once again blown away by Puzo's masterful writing. Some scenes felt like they were coming right out of a movie (the gambling ones in particular) and I quickly became attached to the characters, with their believable background stories, their flaws and their motivations. But then, this all turned into a big mess and a big waste when it became apparent the book
Murad Khalid
i have watched The Godfather, never got a chance to read the novel though. before i started reading Fool's Die, i was unfamiliar with Puzo's writing style. it took me a while to get used to the style and to understand the characters. yeah the starting is slow and there are some ,you know, boring parts in between. but i enjoyed reading it most of the time. characters are nicely and some times beautifully sketched specially Osano's! yeah the ending could've been much better! looking forward to rea ...more
Thee_ron_clark
Mario Puzo is an author I have been hearing about for years, mostly due to the Godfather films. When I found a few of his books for sale, I decided to check them out. Fools Die was the first of his books that I read. Perhaps I went into it expecting a bit more blood and guts; a bit more action and violence. After all, what would a Godfather fan expect?

The story revolved around a budding author and the events that occur in his life following a gambling streak in Las Vegas.

Well, I was disappointe
Luis
Pocas palabras pueden hacerle justicia a este libro, solo queda recomendarlo.
Contiene en sus casi 600 páginas ideas tan grandes que no cabrían en un simple prólogo. De hecho la edición que leí, ni siquiera tenía una.
Me sentí tentado de leerlo por varias razones, entre ellas:
1. Mario Puzo es el autor de la novela "El padrino"
2. Nunca había leído nada de este autor.
3. La portada de mi libro

El inicio engancha, pero luego se tarda unas 100 páginas en tomar forma y asentarse, una vez llegado a ese
Mckell
I've read this book several times (4? 5? say no more) but not recently. It's very well written, amusing, perceptive, philosophical, with a bit of sex and violence thrown in. Mario mixes unique drinks. Once in awhile I'll reread the first section. It contains one of my favorite lines: "He seemed to me that day an admirable gambler." (I can see the puzzled looks on your faces).

Of course, most people are surprised when they find Fools Die is not about gangsters doing gangster things. The Godfather
Michelle
Was so glad I read this, Puzo's most personal novel. Where as all his books have been historical fictions on topics like: the Pope, Italian Immigrants, Italian Countryside, American Mafia, I felt this was a historical fiction on himself. The main character is a square writer who maneuvers into getting a book published and a film made and falls into the world of Hollywood. The writing is still so addicting though his female characters are always less believable than their male counterparts.
Geetanjali
I read this one the summer I was waiting for my tenth grade board result from my father's library.Until then I did not know much about American Literature other than the ones by Mark Twain,Little Women and Uncle Tom's Cabin.European Literature is what I had been introduced to and known since childhood which were clean reads.This was referred to as one of the grown-up reads by my dad which we were forbidden to read as kids.So at fifteen I felt pretty grown up and with my parents at work during t ...more
Valerie F
Mario Puzo writes brilliantly although his prose is occasionally cliche-laden. This, however is one of my faves of his, up there with The Godfather. I enjoyed how he tied together two people who met randomly and are connected for tragic reasons. The back and forth between third person and first person from Merlyn's perspective was quite interesting. I would have liked to hear a bit more about Diane, shame she was such a bit character.
Toufiq
Not sure if this was Puzo's diary or his autobiography written by himself but this certainly was a queer book.

Firstly, the writing is in first person which is really unlike Puzo. Secondly, I can't recall what the theme or message was behind this book. It was the story of a man who gambled all night and then the nights after that, and in doing so, he also narrated about his sexual encounters with a woman who worked there. Again, nothing worth investing time to find out about casinos or Las Vegas
Chloe Stowe
Written very well. Lots of rich characters but I simply didn't like where they went. Plus, I never really liked any of the main players. It was hard to make a strong connection to any of them because I found them all to be a bit too slimy.

Overall, a sad experience. Give it a try, though. You might find something I've completely missed.
Celia
I found this novel varied in quality from the excellent to very boring.

It is about a man who is an orphan who starts out poor who wants to be a great writer. He ends up being a successful writer who spends time in Hollywood. The main character is somewhat interesting-he is a tough, streetwise guy who has a high literary aspirations. He sees himself as being very straight but many readers may not agree with his view of himself.

The book starts out with an incident in Las Vegas casino where I have
Branimir
Just one thing - do not believe to the reviewer that is inevitably quoted on the back-page of this book saying that this book is better than the Godfather. It clearly is not, as you expect other type of books when reading Puzo. Still worth the try.
Carl
this book truly took me to another world and I was completely swept up into the world of gambling and literary critique occupied by the main character. another excellent piece by a fantastic author. highly recommend it
John
One of the first books that kick started my reading...I wish to God I knew what the compelling factor was, but all and all I just cant explain why this book started my addictive reading habits!
Dustin
This was the second book I read by Mario Puzo. I fell in love with this book and the charachters. I tried to envision this as a movie the whole way through, and it was a good one.
It was a little slow at the start if I recall, but pace picks up rather quickly. I have read several times, not I can not find the darn thing. It would be a nice friend to sit with for a few days.

I was working a summer job after high school when an older guy and I were talking about books and such on the the job. He su
Oksana Fore
Funny, witty and real
Nakib Hoq
"In the fresh air I knew that I was alive. That I would dine well the next day, that in time I would have a loving woman again, that I would write a story and walk along the beach. Only those we most love can cause our death, and only of them we must beware. Our enemies can never harm us. And at the core of my brother's virtue was that he feared neither his enemies nor those who he loved. So much the worst for him. Virtue is its own reward and fools are they who die."

I have always been a great f
Russell
One chapter of the Godfather is all it took to get me hooked on Puzo's writing.

Vegas, Hollywood, New York; three places tied together with our narrator Merlyn. The opening monologue reaches out and yanks you by the eyes through the first 'Book'. You are teased to walk on to the Vegas carpets and go along for the ride.

Funny thing is, I felt I didn't learn anything from this book. Puzo's writing brought me more feeling than any sort of fact. I felt I knew the main character's psyches instead of
FOOLS DIE-MARIO PUZO 5 37 Feb 05, 2014 07:16AM
  • Operation Audacity
  • Hearts of Chaos
  • Criminal Conversation
  • The Devil on Lammas Night
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...
The Godfather The Sicilian The Last Don Omerta The Family

“Do you believe a man can truly love a woman and constantly betray her?Never mind physically but betray her in his mind,in the very "poetry of his soul".Well,it's not easy but men do it all the time.” 445 likes
“Love is like the little red toy wagon you get for your Christmas or your sixth birthday. It makes you deliriously happy and you just can't leave it alone. But sooner or later the wheels come off. Then you leave it in a corner and forget it. Falling in love is great. Being in love is a disaster” 140 likes