Start by marking “Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1)

Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,110 ratings  ·  51 reviews
This haunting first collection of Annabelle's memories are filled with frightening stories and dark fairy tales about her various owners . Featuring the first 6 issues, as well as some other spookirific surprises, including an introduction by Tommy Kovac (Skelebunnies, Stitch and Autumn) as well as a guest page by Jhonen Vasquez and other SLG creators.
Published April 20th 2004 by SLG Publishing (first published April 14th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time

Chris
I'm not sure if I like the artwork. I don't hate it, but sometimes a few panels, in particular with the first two stories, would be slightly confusing.

This collection of 1-6 in the series presents two stories about vampires, a retelling of Snow White, a retelling of Cinderella, and the story of Gwen. The conceit that holds the stories together is a rag doll named Annabelle, who feels she must be cursed. The stories are very dark. It's like the Twilight Zone meets Dahl meets Tales from the Darksi
Tabitha (Pabkins)
This comic is eerie and beautiful. I also find it very inspiring. I highly recommend it - I'm only sad that there aren't more!
Aviva
This book is downright creepy. It's the story of Annabelle, a little rag-doll who isn't evil really, but it seems that anyone who's owned her has had something positively horrendous happen to them. Take for instance, little Gwen, her parents are abusive fuck wits and when they move into a new house, their elderly next door neighbor makes friends with Gwen, giving her Annabelle for company. Suddenly her abusive parents die in a really horrendous manner and Gwen gets given to the sweet old lady ne ...more
Shanon
I really liked the story and the idea of a doll that brings misfortune.

I am having a hard time getting past the artwork. On it's own or even in a story book (with one picture per page) it would be wonderful and beautiful. In this medium I am finding it distracting to the story. There have been several times I couldn't tell what was going on because there were no words only busy, disconnected pictures.

Issue 3 - Dominique's story. I REALLY hope we get more information on this story line in futur
Jessica
This is the first graphic novel I've ever read, and it was awesome! I love the artwork, and the story was fantastically dark and gloomy. It was definitely more gory and gothic than what I usually read, but I still really enjoyed it and hope to get the second volume.
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3-3.5/5

This was a very dark, but very good, comic.

I wasn’t too sure what to expect, especially since I don’t read a lot of these, but it looked good. The art is gothic and dark, in a good way, with long necks and horrifying faces.

The storyline is really creepy. There’s a different one for each chapter, although ultimately they all revolve around a cursed doll. Annabelle wants to be loved and happy, and yet every owner that she has ends up dying horribly.

There are the normal stories, one about a
Emma L.
Nightmare and Fairy tales by Serena Valentino is definitely a book I will never forget when I finally got on Christmas.

I remember that night I sat in my bed, reading in the dark with only a small light source of a mini flashlight that lit all the speech bubbles and beautiful drawings. I remember being disappointed when I finally made it to the end of the comic, knowing the next time reading this comic that it wouldn't be the same.

There are so many things in the whimsical world of Nightmares an
Mel
I found this at the Oxfam bookshop and as I like Gloom Cookie by the same author thought I'd give it a go. I have to say it didn't really do much for me. I know goths are supposed to like "creepy fairy tales" but these just felt either too simplistic or too confusing. The first two stories were set in the modern world, the dialogue was very simplistic but the plots of the stories were very confusing. Instead of being surreal and scary it just came off a bit WTF? The third story I liked the best ...more
Stacy Fetters
Short stories told by a creepy doll named Annabell. The name is even creepy. It went from killer dolls, to monsters in a closet, monsters in an attic and finally a twisted view of Cinderella. All these stories were very disturbing and I loved it. The pictures in this graphic novel were horrifyingly terrific and disturbing.
This is a great read for anyone who loves dark and gory things.
Lauren
This is the first graphic novel i have read and i am surprised that i enjoyed it so much. It was a quick read with darkness in it but was a good story as well. There were retellings of fairytales and i think my favourite was Cinderella. This is a good read and it has made me want to read more graphic novels.
Mike MacDee
This anthology contains some creepy renditions of classic fairy tales, and a few original ones as well. The art delightfully skirts the border of cute and creepy. Too bad this book is so obscure: it deserves more recognition than it gets.
I don't know, creepy doll, dark alternative comic, should be up my ally but I could never get into it. Read the first two issues than stopped getting them. The drawing reminded me of part manga-part goth. Kinda overly dramatic at times.
Lucy
I got this book on a recommendation from a friend, and am always intrigued by tweaked fairy tales and Gothic sensitivities. There was also something deliciously haunting about the artwork, and I wasn’t disappointed.

There is something deeply unsettling about this book, and that’s what makes it so much fun. The art is beautiful and very creepy, and the stories are equally so. Even the stories that end “happy” — meaning the protagonist survives and the antagonists pay for their misdeeds — leave you
Sophia
I love how she put a spin on the classic fairy tales and monsters. I also enjoyed the artwork. cute and creepy at the same time:)
Mandy
I wasn't crazy about the artwork, but I liked the story.
Cindy
This was a decent little story but sadly flawed. Valentino's script wasn't well-adapted for a graphic novel and the artist had a hard time making a short story into a comic. The writing itself wasn't that great with lots of diversions and tricks to get us wanting to read more, but that just got annoying. Everything was just so low-key that it was hard to enjoy. I also didn't really like the art and thought it was a bit scratchy, muddled, and amateurish. That being said, I liked it better than th ...more
Stephen
Excellent and creepy!
Eve Kay
The drawing and the stories weren't that great in my opinion. The stories were kinda cute but turned out little bit boring and to be honest, a little childish to my liking. I didn't think the drawing was that good either. This wasn't a comic for me.
Bluestockingirl
This is a collection of classic fairy tales changed into nightmares.
It can be hard to give one rating to a collection of short stories because chances are that one liked certain stories better than others. I'm one of those weird people who doesn't like watching the gory contemporary horrors, so the gorier stories weren't really my thing, but I could definitely appreciate other aspects.... and even though the pictures were sometimes confusing, I still enjoyed the artwork.
Deb
Aug 08, 2008 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Emily the Strange & Johnny the Homicidal Maniac readers
The first collected volume of the Nightmares & Fairytales comics concentrates on a doll and her bizarre owners. Supposedly the stories are based on fairy tales, but the tales must have been obscure--I don't remember recognizing any. Still, I liked the art enough to to read Vol. 3 of the series; the library didn't have vol. 2 yet, for some reason.

Volume 3 is SO MUCH BETTER.

Elizabeth
A series of stories surrounding a doll and the horrible things that happen to most of her owners. The only story I really liked involved a haunted house and some very mean parents. The stories were supposedly based on fairy tales but the only one I recognize was Cinderella (which did have a slightly different, fun ending).
Debbie
Book one in the Nightmares & Fairy Tales series.

Gory retellings of horror stories and fairy tales from the perspective of Annabelle, a rag doll who might just be cursed. My favorite short story in this collection was the retelling of Cinderella. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "happily ever after."
Erica
Serena Valentino's take on well known fair-tales and gory-nightmares
enhanced by the passionate, confident, morbidly-dark yet adorably whimsical art-style which only Foo Swee Chin (FSc) can deliver, Nightmares & Fairy Tales Vol. 1 (as well as Vol. 2!) is sure to please anyone with a taste for the macabre.
Cara
1.5
Quite disappointing, for a book that claims to be "frightening stories and dark fairy tales". All I took away from it was weird, strange, and slightly disturbing. I'm all for frightening and dark scary stories...but this just felt too bizarre and off-putting, even for my taste.
Glasspixie Pixie
I love FSc's illustrations! I had only read one other manga horror book before and it was OK. This one got VERY creepy at times. The combination of the story and the illustrations was pretty much perfect.

If I was a big horror fan, I would have given this 5 stars.
Jinx Ruth
An exciting and beautifully illustrated book full of "happy" endings, brutal murders, twists at every corner and an adorable doll named Annabelle. This book kept me on my toes, and it gratefully satisfied my craving for gorey fairytales. A must-read for horror lovers.
Sarah T.
I wanted to like this book more than I ended up liking it. I liked the artwork except for the 30% that was pretty much unintelligible. The takes on the classic fairy tales were interesting though. I'd still give the rest of this series a try. I won't give up yet!
Lindsay
this comic series is written though the eyes of a doll. this doll is in every tale told (so far). love how twisted and dark the writer makes the stories which stem from our favorite fairy tales. the artist and writer combination is perfect.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
I love graphic novels and so far this one takes the cake, macabre, wonderfully drawn classic fairy tales with a twist. These tales are dark and morbid and played through the memory of a doll who thinks she is cursed. Love em!
Helen
Interesting concept of several short stories following a doll whose owners have bad things happen to them, but I couldn't follow the art at all. Very difficult to decipher what was happening in scenes with no dialogue.
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Death, Jr.
  • Lenore: Noogies
  • I Feel Sick #1
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1)
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children
Serena Valentino is best known for weaving tales that combine mythos and guile with her work on the comic book series GloomCookie and Nightmares & Fairy Tales published with SLG Publishing. Nightmares & Fairy Tales has earned her critical acclaim in both the comic and horror domain, where she is known for her unique style of storytelling, bringing her readers into exquisitely frightening w ...more
More about Serena Valentino...

Nightmares & Fairy Tales (4 books)
  • Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2)
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Dancing with the Ghosts of Whales (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #4)
Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1) Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2) 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)