Start by marking “Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards More” as Want to Read:
Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards  More

Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards More

A fast-growing craft trend, handled by experts.Choose an objects familiar tools, materials, and processes in entirely new ways. Paint, collage, pierce, sew, and cut the pages of an old book. Change an ordinary candy tin into a charming decorative storage case with paper scraps, metal grommets, and paint. The possibilities are infinite. The author lives in Asheville, NC.
Published October 1st 2004 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Altered Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altered Art

The Repurposed Library by Lisa OcchipintiDelight in the Details by Lisa M. PaceThe Altered Object by Terry  TaylorAll Things Paper by Ann   MartinVintage Collage-Works by Maryjo Koch
Paper Crafts
28 books — 9 voters
Z by Therese Anne FowlerVisual Chronicles by Karen DininoArt Journals and Creative Healing by Sharon SoneffJournal Spilling by Diana TroutAltered Books Workshop by Bev Brazelton
Art journals
33 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Ella
Mar 04, 2017 Ella rated it liked it
Shelves: art-how-to
A lot of the same info that is in other altered art books, in terms of adhesives and materials like that. Although, I found the examples of work shown in this book to be more inspiring and unique - they really stepped outside of gesso and collages on the pages of pre-existing books, which I've seen so much of - so for that reason this is one of the better books I've read on the subject.
Pamela
Jan 26, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
Altered art is simply the result of taking a found object and changing it in some intriguing or surprising way to make an artistic statement of your own (book jacket). Some of the items in the book are really bizarre, but it strengths come from the variety of techniques shown to making your own altered art project. An interesting read in-and-of itself as well as an art instruction book with simple instructions and illustrations. I will put this book aside and go out and find interesting do-dads ...more
Stella
Jul 24, 2010 Stella rated it really liked it
This is one of those shiny, colorful coffee table-style books that break my rule about owning either books or art supplies. I really appreciate Terry Taylor's you-can-do-it approach to making art, and I find that if I'm having some artist's block and open this book to any random page, it usually helps quite a bit. He even has a specific section about what to do if you're having trouble figuring out what to make! Lots of color photos submitted by a wide variety of artists also make this book wort ...more
Celina Zhao
Nov 01, 2016 Celina Zhao rated it it was amazing
Altered Art includes many techniques and tips for creating altered art. The author explains a few big categories of altered art, including altered books, boxes and tins, cards, tags, games and altered objects. Many projects are included inside with descriptive instructions, making it really easy to follow-through, and there were also galleries with artwork that designers have created.
Sherry (sethurner)
Feb 28, 2009 Sherry (sethurner) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
Altered Art is nicely organized and illustrated, with enough text and photography to make it a valuable reference for people wanting to work with mixed media art projects. I liked the copy I checked out of the library well enough that I bought a copy for myself.
Jen
Oct 26, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nice reference of techniques and great pictures for inspiration. One of the few craft books I've seen that even discusses copyright in crafts (albeit not exhaustively); I bought the book partly just for that. Overall a nice book to have and look through.
Slee
Aug 27, 2013 Slee rated it really liked it
Inspiring images, but more importantly, in-depth discussion of technique set this book apart from many other Altered Art tabletop books. I checked it out at the library and have added it to the list of books I'd like to add to my forever-books collection.
Joan
Aug 20, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it
This is a great book for some new ideas. You get lots of pictures and easy to follow directions. They have ideas that you can make your own and create different things from what is shown. I keep this for a good reference and inspiration.
Brandi
Nov 21, 2008 Brandi rated it it was amazing
This was the book that started my obsession with altered art books. Love it.
Trey
Jul 11, 2012 Trey rated it did not like it
my book is about a man named ichigo and hes trying to save his dad before he dies
May 24, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
If you're curious about found/altered art, this is a good book to start with. Taylor gives a brief history of artists, then gets right into techniques and project ideas.
Kat
Dec 26, 2007 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: art-delights
Fair selection of ideas for exploring journaling.
Alex
Feb 04, 2008 Alex rated it liked it
Some great techniques.
Melissa
Apr 25, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book is full of good inspiration. But I am disappointed, somebody already had the idea to alter a globe...
Kristen
Jun 03, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Checked this one out from the library, not once, but twice.

Really liked the projects and beautiful book, but didn't think this was one worth adding to my personal library.
Sharice George
Dec 02, 2015 Sharice George rated it it was amazing
This really speaks to me.
Alan Maness
Mar 04, 2016 Alan Maness rated it really liked it
Wanted to say that I found this book at a library and after looking through it, I found it quite amazing and simple how to instruction examples seem pretty straight forward to understand!
Dana M.
Sep 23, 2014 Dana M. rated it really liked it
Reread. Loved it even more this time!
Jamie
Nov 15, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
Liked some of the examples of the 3-D items in the "gallery" sections, but not really a great format for me.
Ariyanna Moon
Apr 12, 2013 Ariyanna Moon rated it liked it
Interesting ideas for new concept art with quite a bit of attention to detail. Good if you like folksy kind of art.
Bayley
Aug 13, 2009 Bayley rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, craft
A very cool book with lots of neat ideas, but unfortunately many of them are quite complex and require you to have many unusual knick-knacks on hand that might be hard to find.
Dolldiva
Apr 04, 2011 Dolldiva rated it it was ok
Interesting projects. Not my cup of tea.
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Niketan Khadye
Niketan Khadye rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Zixu Tian
Zixu Tian rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Charity
Charity rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Krissette Dalisay
Krissette Dalisay rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
David Justin Urbas
David Justin Urbas rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Shinichie
Shinichie rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Hud
Hud rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Altered Books Workshop
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • Collage Lost and Found
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • In This House
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books