Start by marking “The Way To Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Way To Happiness

The Way To Happiness

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

True joy and happiness are valuable.

If one does not survive, no joy and no happiness
are obtainable.

Trying to survive in a chaotic, dishonest and
generally immoral society is difficult.

Any individual or group seeks to obtain from life what pleasure
and freedom from pain that they can.

Your own survival can be threatened by the bad actions of
others around you.

Your own hap
Published November 1st 2007 by Bridge Publications, Inc. (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Way To Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way To Happiness

Kelly
Aug 12, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me think about how you are not only responsible for yourself, but also ensuring those around you act responsibly since they affect you as well.
Paul Grimsley
Jun 19, 2010 Paul Grimsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is written in a simple style but the points it makes are ones everyone would agree with and profoundly affected me.
Simo Hamzaoui
Feb 13, 2013 Simo Hamzaoui rated it it was amazing
one of best short books i've ever read
Andy Nolch
Apr 15, 2015 Andy Nolch rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an interesting book. I do feel after reading it like I know a lot more about life and am wiser. I can use this information at work. We need this taught at high school!
Aubrey Fletcher
Jun 03, 2014 Aubrey Fletcher rated it it was amazing
One of the most wonderful books for any person, of any religion. Clearly a book to keep one on the straight path, Not just for happiness, but for spiritual guidance.
Tim Price
Apr 15, 2015 Tim Price rated it it was amazing
I first tried to study this book, and I rushed through it and found it quite difficult to understand.
I put it down for a while and then about 7 months later, I decided to pick it up again and give it another shot. I decided to take my time with it and really make sure that I understood each sentence, each paragraph, each chapter, etc.

All I can say is wow! What I got out of it has honestly changed my life!
I could carry on for ages, but all I can recommend is that you go buy this book, READ IT, ap
Julia
Nov 25, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
This book is just amazing. It's basically a book of moral codes that have made my life a million times better! No, it's not religious, which is what some people might avoid it for. In fact, one of the moral codes is "Respect the religious beliefs of others"

This book has been a huge success, FAST. I love to see it being distributed to people all over the world. It truly is one of a kind.

BUY IT NOW! (:
Sean Rosenthal
Interesting Quote:

"One can feel at times like a spinning leaf blown along a dirty street, one can feel like a grain of sand stuck in one place. But nobody has said that life was a calm and orderly thing; it isn't. One isn't a tattered leaf nor a grain of sand: one can, to a greater of lesser degree, draw his road map and follow it."

-L. Ron Hubbard, the Way to Happiness
Jojo
May 21, 2012 Jojo rated it liked it
This book teaches the Human how to live with ethics, shows him a better way for living in love and peace with himself, relatives, people around him and the whole nature...
So many advices presented it in short forms.
Gwendry
Jan 13, 2013 Gwendry rated it liked it
nice to read, simple and make me realize that i've to do better than before
Lucinda Deville
Apr 18, 2015 Lucinda Deville rated it it was amazing
The best way I find to describe this book is that it is like a modern-day version of the Christians’ The Ten Commandments, as the tenets by which the book proposes man should live are basic and very applicable to our current world – no matter what age, education, race or creed. It is so simple and sensible that I have my children – aged 9 to 25 – refer to it regularly, and I can see by the changes in their attitudes and behaviour that they have realised that if they apply these tenets to their e ...more
Sarah Harakeh
Mar 03, 2015 Sarah Harakeh rated it did not like it
This is one of the most stupid books ever! I don't understand why people say it is a religious book when it is anything but religious. The fact that this stupid book is for the Scientology church gives a similar image about it. The book only states morals amd ways to live buy that already everyone knows them ( I hope ) and that are borrowed from other religions and philosophies. If we analyse the book as being a self-help spiritual book, then it is still stupid and there are far more so much bet ...more
Jason Toth
Apr 18, 2015 Jason Toth rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books of all time. It is a common sense moral code, that anyone of any belief system (or lack thereof) can agree upon. It serves as an excellent way for all people of good will to establish understanding and agreement with each other. It isn’t just harping on about morality, but a practical guide on how to live morally and why each point matters. It also includes all kinds of very simple points that can be used to help a person improve their life and live more ethical ...more
Jacqueline
Apr 15, 2015 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This book dramatically changed my life for the good - and I didn't actually think that was possible. I look at life with happiness and excitement, rather than despair. I am enthusiastic about the future, rather than worried about it. I love my fellow man, and understand them, so much more than I thought possible, even when they may seem to act irrationally. I give better advice and am able to help my friends. I am more calm. I am happier. This book just makes so much sense, and I love it!!
Sharon
Sep 22, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A copy of this little book was left on our porch (I suspect that the Church of Scientology decided to paper our neighborhood, so to speak). In any event, I figured that I was out nothing by giving it a read.

In this book, Hubbard outlines his 20 steps to happiness -- which feature such common sense ideas as living with integrity, being kind to one another, eating well and taking exercise. There's nothing new, revolutionary or even remotely controversial here.

What I found interesting was the exten
Haider Al-Mosawi
Apr 24, 2011 Haider Al-Mosawi rated it it was ok
The Way To Happiness goes through a number of virtues, values and principles needed for a happy life, such as caring for one's hygiene to not murdering.

I found the book to be extremely simplistic, without any real guidance on how to cultivate a virtue, apart from highlighting the "survival" benefits it brings to the individual, and to society at large.

At one point, the author makes the claim that the reason why criminals commit crimes is because they "can't learn." I believe human beings are sli
Ted Forgach
Apr 18, 2015 Ted Forgach rated it it was amazing
I picked this up and thought it would be some religious dogma, or pious preachiness. Boy was I wrong! There is nothing in this book that can be disputed. It makes so much sense. And at first I thought, yeah everyone knows this stuff. And you do. BUT, you don't. I certainly didn't follow the precepts in the book before I read it. And I can see how if everyone did, this world would be a much better place.
Leigh Crouch
Apr 15, 2015 Leigh Crouch rated it it was amazing
This book took my breath away. Such a beautiful and pleasing presentation. My 11 year old daughter read it and loved it also. She uses it to help harmonise our family regularly, and loves helping her friends with it also. Her teachers are also loving how easy it is to use. Such a ‘user-friendly’ book that is impossible to disagree with in every aspect!
Lynne Lowenstein
Apr 18, 2015 Lynne Lowenstein rated it it was amazing
This book gave many simple tips to being happier. I always knew that it was best to treat others as you would like to be treated however I really started to understand this. I started applying it . It's amazing the difference it makes and I found that good things come back to you as well.
Tom
Apr 18, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing
Wow! I finally have the steps to apply to be happy! This easy to read, easy to digest book never ceases to surprise me with it's delightful and simple to understand content. Everyone that I know that has read this book, LOVES it. The Way To Happiness delivers what the title says. Do read it.
Jennifer Atkins
Apr 15, 2015 Jennifer Atkins rated it it was amazing
This is a non-religious, but very spiritual book, with common sense laws of life. I am happier because of it. There is a really cool DVD which goes along with it and you can get it here: http://www.scientology.org.au/~scient...
Rickey
Jan 17, 2011 Rickey rated it liked it
Shelves: compassion, law
A little booklet that a friend gave to me, I found this probably useful for some people out there. I even found a few explanations interesting and possibly helpful, although with more thorough parenting I might have learned all this already. Most of it I have found also expressed in ancient teachings from a few religious traditions. However, these now common sense bits of wisdom are presented in a non-denominational and even totally secular manner.
So where does this fit?
This got put in my compa
Ayodele
Jan 15, 2015 Ayodele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the author that it would be a good idea to speak with our children about these precepts. I think it could do a lot and go a long way in helping ourselves and others avoid common, unnecessary and costly mistakes in life.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favourite books of all time. It is beautiful. Life becomes beautiful by using these very easy to follow guide lines. The title of the book really describes what this book contains. Highly recommend!
James
Jan 05, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
I started using this book only just recently. I had heard of it many years ago, but I thought its precepts to be too obvious to have any value to me. I was wrong on that one. Though the guidelines that the book recommends are simple and easy to understand, I can guarantee that they are not followed by the majority of people on the planet. An individual who is aware of these precepts and follows them as best he can will no doubt rise up above the norm. It has certainly worked for me.
Felicity Chambers
Apr 17, 2015 Felicity Chambers rated it it was amazing
I think common sense has been forgotten and that it needs to be regained—globally. This book can do it. My faith in humanity has been restored because of this book.
Emma Strangio
Apr 15, 2015 Emma Strangio rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. This should be in primary schools. Kids respond so well to the precepts (moral codes) in it and thrive morally, socially and at home.
Jugurtha Sheshonk
Happiness is an inside job. You have to know who you are. Also do or don't do the things you want other people do ot don't do to you!!!
Allan Wallace
Apr 17, 2015 Allan Wallace rated it it was amazing
I have read this book and now use it as my main guide to happy living. Really simple guidelines to understand and use in my life
Casey Donovan
Apr 15, 2015 Casey Donovan rated it it was amazing
Everyone should have a copy of this beautiful book. The world would be a much better place if they did.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • On Leadership
  • العلمانية هى الحل
  • Unexpurgated Code
  • Michael Brother of Jerry
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...