The Way To Happiness

The Way To Happiness

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  16 reviews

True joy and happiness are valuable.

If one does not survive, no joy and no happiness
are obtainable.

Trying to survive in a chaotic, dishonest and
generally immoral society is difficult.

Any individual or group seeks to obtain from life what pleasure
and freedom from pain that they can.

Your own survival can be threatened by the bad actions of
others around you.

Your own hap...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Bridge Publications, Inc. (first published 1981)

Kelly
Made me think about how you are not only responsible for yourself, but also ensuring those around you act responsibly since they affect you as well.
Paul Simon Grimsley
this book is written in a simple style but the points it makes are ones everyone would agree with and profoundly affected me.
محمد حمزاوي
one of best short books i've ever read
Julia
This book is just amazing. It's basically a book of moral codes that have made my life a million times better! No, it's not religious, which is what some people might avoid it for. In fact, one of the moral codes is "Respect the religious beliefs of others"

This book has been a huge success, FAST. I love to see it being distributed to people all over the world. It truly is one of a kind.

BUY IT NOW! (:
Sean Rosenthal
Interesting Quote:

"One can feel at times like a spinning leaf blown along a dirty street, one can feel like a grain of sand stuck in one place. But nobody has said that life was a calm and orderly thing; it isn't. One isn't a tattered leaf nor a grain of sand: one can, to a greater of lesser degree, draw his road map and follow it."

-L. Ron Hubbard, the Way to Happiness
Jojo
This book teaches the Human how to live with ethics, shows him a better way for living in love and peace with himself, relatives, people around him and the whole nature...
So many advices presented it in short forms.
Gwendry
nice to read, simple and make me realize that i've to do better than before
Sharon
A copy of this little book was left on our porch (I suspect that the Church of Scientology decided to paper our neighborhood, so to speak). In any event, I figured that I was out nothing by giving it a read.

In this book, Hubbard outlines his 20 steps to happiness -- which feature such common sense ideas as living with integrity, being kind to one another, eating well and taking exercise. There's nothing new, revolutionary or even remotely controversial here.

What I found interesting was the exten...more
Haider Al-Mosawi
The Way To Happiness goes through a number of virtues, values and principles needed for a happy life, such as caring for one's hygiene to not murdering.

I found the book to be extremely simplistic, without any real guidance on how to cultivate a virtue, apart from highlighting the "survival" benefits it brings to the individual, and to society at large.

At one point, the author makes the claim that the reason why criminals commit crimes is because they "can't learn." I believe human beings are sli...more
Eric Rickey
A little booklet that a friend gave to me, I found this probably useful for some people out there. I even found a few explanations interesting and possibly helpful, although with more thorough parenting I might have learned all this already. Most of it I have found also expressed in ancient teachings from a few religious traditions. However, these now common sense bits of wisdom are presented in a non-denominational and even totally secular manner.
So where does this fit?
This got put in my compa...more
James
I started using this book only just recently. I had heard of it many years ago, but I thought its precepts to be too obvious to have any value to me. I was wrong on that one. Though the guidelines that the book recommends are simple and easy to understand, I can guarantee that they are not followed by the majority of people on the planet. An individual who is aware of these precepts and follows them as best he can will no doubt rise up above the norm. It has certainly worked for me.
Cory Howell
This little booklet purports to be a "Common Sense Guide to Better Living." Kind of like a Ten Commandments, plus a few more, it's not exactly the revolutionary publication its devotees claim. And a lot of it doesn't jive very well with what Hubbard actually seems to have practiced in his own life and business dealings. Of course, I guess your view of his honesty depends on how much you buy into the Church of Scientology propaganda. You can read it for free here.
Shane Cormier
I think my daughter could have written this book. As the guy below said. Very minimal, broad and simplistic. Easier said than done. One of those things. Good starting point though and good bathroom reading because there are very little words lol
Keith
I could not help but agree with most of what this had to say. I found it down right creepy. The pictures and mention of a Saturn probe did not help the creep factor. Still, many people could lead better lives following the advise this book offers.
Dawn Wells
Now, I see why this is the fastest growing "religion" it works on our hope of happily ever after. It makes you believe you are good but society is bad. The funny thing is people make up society. Hum?
Alexandra Chauran
Simplistic but weird, I'm using these precepts in a discussion group.
John
John added it
Mar 29, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Laura Ali
Laura Ali marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
the way to happiness 1 3 May 21, 2011 08:06PM
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...
Battlefield Earth The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4)