Start by marking “America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation” as Want to Read:
America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation

America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The renowned attorney and bestselling author reveals how notable trials throughout our history have helped to shape our nation. Offering insights into the human condition, these trials serve as a historical document, chronicling the struggles and passions of their time.
Published May 14th 2004 by Warner Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about America on Trial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America on Trial

The Crucible by Arthur MillerSalem Possessed by Paul S. BoyerThe Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine HoweIn the Devil's Snare by Mary Beth NortonThe Devil in the Shape of a Woman by Carol F. Karlsen
Salem
120th out of 107 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Artguy
Dershowitz, celebrity lawyer, Harvard law professor, and defender of OJ Simpson, discusses 15 trials he views as the most important in the past century. He provides insights into many of the trials he presided over, and in many ways got me thinking differently about cases I thought really only had one reasonable side (particularly Roe vs. Wade and the Scopes Monkey Trial). I especially appreciate his lawyerly way of approaching serious issues such as abortion, racism, and right wing Christianity ...more
Melissa McHugh
Here's what I liked:
- The introduction is incredibly well written and does exactly what an introduction is supposed to do. It made me excited to read the book. It talked about ancient, historical and global influences on the American legal system.
- Dershowitz has a great handle on American history and how it affected the legal cases at each step of history.
- I appreciate that it's not always about the big cases. For every Dred Scott, Lizzie Borden and OJ Simpson, there's John Webster, Stanford
Grant
the book is a collection of cases Dershowitz proposes transformed our nation, beginning from colonial times until the present day Guantanamo detainees. Dershowitz mostly does a good job of setting the climate and characters of all parties involved. and there are several case discussions such as the Bakke decision where he succinctly and intelligently explains not only the decision and its effect but also the "method behind the madness". there are accounts of what happened in the court room, but ...more
Og
I'm really enjoying this book. I'm about 90% finished but the book is so enjoyable, I am not worried about my review changing.

Dershowitz discusses the cases that have influenced our law and politics. This book is especially interesting in light of the recent Supreme Court hearings on DOMA and same sex marriage. You don't have to be a lawyer to appreciate this book, but it does make it easier.

Dershowitz discusses cases including OJ, Mike Tyson, Klaus von Bulow, and Bush v. Gore. Keep in mind tha
Jim Good
Interesting perspective on the courts and justice in America. Uses trials to show the development of law in society and the evolution of thought in some cases (segregation, abortion, states rights, etc.). The most interesting case is that of Mike Tyson. And the Bush vs. Gore election decision of the Supreme Court. In Tyson he derides abuses of the justice system and gives several examples of why and how the court ruled the way it did. In Bush vs. Gore he shows how politics interfered with justic ...more
Harpal
This book is freakin' hilarious. Love or hate Dershowitz, it doesn't matter for this book. The Prof decides to take on every major case in US legal history, but not with a simple summary or review of the basic legal history. No, no, that would be below our dear Dershowitz. He proceeds to give a revisionist account of just about every single case. It's awesome. I have no idea how well respected any of these ideas are, but it's a great read with all sorts of interesting tidbits of info.

If you can
Steven Williams
Another great book by Dershowitz. He seems to be very good author, as I have not read a book of his that wasn't good.
Mike
Feb 03, 2011 Mike marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
I own this book, so it is 'on-hold' a lot while I take care of library books and the like. This is a good book to leave and come back to as it is divided up into decent-sized chapters that are sequential but not overly dependent.

So far, I am really enjoying this book - it is very readable and quite interesting for a history/law buff like myself and I look forward to picking it up again soon.
Valerie
Generally a pretty good introduction to some of the major trials in the history of the US. The author draws some conclusions I don't necessarily agree with, and he was personally involved in some of the more recent cases, so you have to take what he says about those with a grain of salt, but overall a good read.
Mark
Disappointed by the shallow description of Roe v. Wade. (My primary purpose in picking up this book was to learn more about that case.) But I learned more about the O.J. Simpson trial as well as Rodney King's case, Claus von Bulow's case, the Mike Tyson rape case, the Scopes trial, and the Rosenberg's case. 3 stars.
Beth
Very fascinating read! Author is quite opinionated, but that might be why the book is better than just reading the historical facts. He has so much first-hand experience, you can't help but think he is right on with most of his opinions.
Kristina
Very interesting review of some of the famous (infamous) trials of the 1980s and 1990s. I do agree with him that the Supreme Court must stay above politics in order to function properly, but we all know that doesn't happen.
Sammy
i read this book while still in law school. I had read most of the cases and had already anylized them from a legal scholar's point of view. I think it ruined the book for me.
Jeff Doucette
Interesting, but, probably because these aren't his own cases--except for a few--his insights seem more superficial than in his other books.
Simon
Jul 23, 2008 Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
It is a bunch of cases and I am reading them selectively. He is very readable. Okay, I decided to read all of them.
Kim
Great overview of major trials and their impact on the judicial system through American history. Good introduction.
Carissa Brown
This was a good look at the history of court cases in America.
Ken
Good overview. I tired of the format.
Cws
Apr 10, 2008 Cws added it
349.73
Brian Nowak
Brian Nowak is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Mohamed Mohamed
Mohamed Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Connor Fuller
Connor Fuller marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Deborah
Deborah is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Cliff Meggison
Cliff Meggison marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Sean Fitzgerald
Sean Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • The Dred Scott Case: Its Significance in American Law and Politics
  • The Kennedy Half-Century: The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy
  • The Idea of America: Reflections on the Birth of the United States
  • Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Western Town Sets off a Struggle for the Soul of America
  • 1812: The War That Forged a Nation
  • Better for All the World: The Secret History of Forced Sterilization and America's Quest for Racial Purity
  • The Run of His Life : The People versus O. J. Simpson
  • Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • The Road to Monticello: The Life and Mind of Thomas Jefferson
  • Commodore: The Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt
  • American Tempest: How the Boston Tea Party Sparked a Revolution
  • Lee The Last Years
  • The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party: Jacksonian Politics and the Onset of the Civil War
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...
The Case for Israel Letters to a Young Lawyer Just Revenge Reversal of Fortune: Inside the Von Bulow Case Taking the Stand: My Life in the Law