Die neuen Leiden des jungen W.

Die neuen Leiden des jungen W.

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  845 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A text edition of the bestselling East German novel, divided into 14 short chapters to facilitate use as a language reader in German classes at the intermediate level and above. Contains questions, extensive annotation, a vocabulary list, and the text of an interview with Plenzdorf. An introduction by the editor discusses Plenzdorf's personality and career, the reception a...more
Paperback, Suhrkamp BasisBibliothek, 157 pages
Published by Suhrkamp Verlag (first published 1972)

Ruby
I am in love with intertexuality. I love reading a book with a lot of references and I think it's interesting to see how a story is shaped by other stories.

This novel, for me, relied on that intertexuality. I thought it was super interesting, because I have read "Die Leiden des jungen Werther" and "The Catcher in the Rye", the two most important novels for this story. So I really enjoyed reading it, looking for similarities and differences between those novels.

However, I'm left wondering if the...more
Erin
Sep 24, 2008 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes J.D. Salinger and specifically Holden Caulfield
A good, short and easy read on usual teenage angst and rebellion present throughout the world, however Edgar (young W) lives in the GDR. This short novel goes hand in hand with The Sufferings of Young Werther, by both paralleling it and parodying it as well. The novel centers around Goethe's aforementioned novel. Edgar reads it and is extremely taken in by it. Throughout the rest of the book he quotes Goethe's work (although he knows not what it is, having found it in a bathroom with the front p...more
Lavinia
This is a sort of mixed parody after Goethes’ Werther and Salinger’s Caulfield settled in East Germany; Berlin, to be more exact. Not bad, but I found the Romanian translation not so satisfactory.

***
noile suferinte ale tinarului w. se vrea a fi un mix-parodie dupa wertherul lui goethe si caulfieldul lui salinger in berlinul germaniei rdg-iste. cartea nu e rea, dar traducerea mi se pare putin metalica si fortata.
Adrian
I would say this is an improvement over it's inspiration but the obsessive use of East German slang to make it sound "cool" and in order to appeal to young people is obnoxious. The protagonist is more likable that Werther.
Definitely liked this one better than the original, though it's still not really my kind of book. The writing was a lot easier to understand and it wasn't as much of a torture to get through as the one written by Goethe, which is probably normal seeing as this one is written over a century later. Apart from the writing, I have to say that I liked the build up of the story, with his father trying to find out what happened and him telling the story from the great beyond, and the story itself as we...more
Beth
I translated this entire novel into English for a class at OSU...handwritten on legal pads.

Anyone want to read it, let me know, and I will type it up one of these days.
Suzie
I read this book many times. sometimes i like it, sometimes not. it´s a little bit weird, but also interesting. i can´t really describe it better.
Leigh
Very funny narrative voice. A sort of mash-up of The Sorrows of Young Werther and The Catcher in the Rye, which is definitely more entertaining than the former and not quite as good as the latter.
Simon
Lustige Reaktualisierung von Goethes Werther, leider mit einer Prise zuviel Salinger-Pseudo-Rebellentum (galt damals wohl noch als hip oder "es popte", wie Edgar Wibeau sagen würde). Das beste ist die untergründige DDR-Satire
Paul
Has dated somewhat with the passage of time, but still remains a good reworking of Goethe's classic. Lots of slang makes the work difficult to understand at times, but it is still an interesting insight into the former GDR.
Giovaennchen Lozano
Está bueno. Es una manera moderna de abordar la famosa novela de Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Werther, un jóven que está enamorado y al no ser correspondido se suicida. Este libro es interesante porque fué escrito en la extinta República Democrática Alemana, bien comunista y burocrática. Un uso del lenguaje diferente y más coloquial. No es para todos los gustos, pero lo recomiendo ampliamente. En español se llamaría: Las nuevas cuitas del joven Werther, o las nuevas penas del joven Werther....
Michelle
This was a clever parody/modern version of Goethe's "Leiden des Jungen Werthers." But I think if you hadn't read Goethe first, many of the jokes/parallels would be missed, but the book's well-writtne enough to be enjoyable in its own right.
Erik
Funny! And what a voice. Too bad about that little "electrical experiment." This is in my Drop Dead New York shelf because his Berlin reminds me so much of NYC. Those two cities were almost parallel worlds in the 1970s.
justin
this was my introduction to 19th century German lit. and it has stayed with me. catcher in the rye meets perks of being a wallflower meets the story of every teenage boy coming-of-age angst/drama
Stefan
Dieses Buch hat mir wirklich gut gefallen. Der Ansatz die Geschichte ins Jetzt zu führen hat mich außerordentlich begeistert. Viel mehr gibt es gar nicht zu sagen, einfach lesen.
Pat Shackleford
Durch Holden Cauldfield und das Leiden de jungen Werther's inspirierter Novelle, der sich abspielt in die Deutschen Demokratische Republik. Ich bin halt kein Fiktions-leser.
Kim van Dyke
W was going on my nerves than no one else - hate the coward. Book is boring besides the wining pain in the ass W. Annoyance!
Sharon
I read this in the German course I took as a senior. I floundered in this class and remember very little of what I read.
Noah
Ganz lustige Mischung aus Werther und Catcher in the Rhye in der DDR der 70er aber mehr leider auch nicht.
Ricky
I have read the book before. And it is definitely good enough to be re-read just now!
Angi
ein Junge, von seinem Vater verlassen, der nun in die Freiheit und das Faulenzen entkommt
Kate
Read this in German 43: The Modern German Novel taught by Professor S.P. Scher.
Ashley Cox
Intriguing voice .. very very reminiscent of Holden Caulfield ...
Ana
Ich habe nie so viel gelacht wie bei diesem Buch!
Klasse!:)
Najmeh
die leiden des jungen werthers hat mir besser gefallen
Inga
Liked Gooethes Werther, hated this one.
Friederike
Klasse, klasse, klasse. Immer wieder wunderbar!
Ines
Even worse than Goethe's original.
Hareton Linton
კაი საღადაოა რამე იყო :)
  • Draußen vor der Tür
  • Die Judenbuche
  • Kabale und Liebe
  • Das siebte Kreuz
  • Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa...
  • Iphigenie auf Tauris
  • Fear and Misery of the Third Reich
  • Penthesilea: A Tragic Drama
  • Timm Thaler oder Das verkaufte Lachen
  • Jugend ohne Gott
Ulrich Plenzdorf was a German author and dramatist.

Born in Berlin, Plenzdorf studied Philosophy in Leipzig, but graduated with a degree in film. He found work at DEFA.

He became famous in both East and West Germany for his socially critical work titled "Die neuen Leiden des jungen W." Written in the jargon of the GDR-youth of the 1970s, it details the tragic story of a young man and his attempt to...more
More about Ulrich Plenzdorf...
Die Legende Von Paul Und Paula Legende vom Glück ohne Ende Die Neuen Leiden Des Jungen W. Und Andere Stücke: Stücke Und Materialien kein runter kein fern Gutenachtgeschichte ; illustriert von Rolf Köhler