Start by marking “The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
With Peter Drucker's five essential questions and the help of five of today's thought leaders, this little book will challenge readers to take a close look at the very heart of their organizations and what drives them. A tool for self-assessment and transformation, answering these five questions will fundamentally change the way you work, helping you lead your organization ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published September 24th 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization

Excellent Sheep by William DeresiewiczWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveManufacturing Consent by Noam ChomskyWalking on Water by Derrick JensenScratch 2.0 Programming by Denis Golikov
Education Revolution
30th out of 80 books — 73 voters
The Mind Map Book by Tony BuzanThe Back of the Napkin (Expanded Edition) by Dan RoamThinkertoys by Michael MichalkoMade to Stick by Chip HeathCyber PR for Musicians by Ariel Hyatt
Arts and Entrepreneurship Library
24th out of 37 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Lyndell
Aug 14, 2015 Lyndell rated it really liked it
The late Peter Drucker, known as the father of modern management was a prolific writer who authored over 25 books. This 144 page book is a brief and easy to read treatise on the essentials of strategic management. While the original target audience of this work was the not for profit sector, this book is just as relevant to the world of business.
Ducker’s premise is that there are five key questions every organization must answer in order to be successful. The five questions are: what is our mis
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Jul 19, 2015 Nguyên ngộ ngộ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7questions
Quyển này dạng như tác giả đút kết lại những câu hỏi cốt lõi một cách khái quát. Cũng như những người tư duy ở tầm cao trong quá khứ như Socrate, thì Peter Drucker cũng đánh giá cao câu hỏi hơn câu trả lời, vì đơn giả câu hỏi là CỘI NGUỒN SUY NGẪM.

5 câu hỏi này nhìn thì có vẻ đơn giản, dễ trả lời qua loa, song vật lộn và chiến đấu với 3 câu hỏi đầu có thể toát mồ hôi, và giám sát đo lường 2 câu hỏi cuối cũng đắm đuối.

1. Sứ mạng là gì?
sống để chi, tại sao làm những cái đang làm, muốn nhớ đến vì
Ryan Rodriquez
Mar 28, 2016 Ryan Rodriquez rated it really liked it
This is a great little tool for any leader to take a step back and self-evaluate their organization and it's priorities. It's a REALLY quick read and a tool that leaders will have on their bookshelves to reference from time to time.
Don Weidinger
Feb 14, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simple hardest to answer, what is mission inspires self-assessment what do well and not do ER does treatment, who is customer learn from them what do today and what plan for future encourage dissent with trust if you cannot smile do not open a shop, what is valued by customer not irrational, what are results, what is plan future few overarching flow to mission vision-mission-goals.
Adam
Feb 09, 2012 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: career
Excerpts from a leadership workshop manual by Peter Drucker w/ notes from various mgmt guru/thought leader types. Sections via Drucker are clear and concise. The followups by the experts are muddled at best, not really adding anything and feeling quite weak in the face of the highly developed thoughts from Drucker. That being said, some of these folks did sound interesting enough to warrant further research. Jim Collins wrote a segment and is also the jacket's list of "experts who like this." I ...more
Bob Schatz
Excellent collaborative work by some of the best in organizational leadership and change. Helps managers and execs face 5 questions:

What is our Mission?
Who is our Customer?
What Does the Customer Value?
What are our Results?
What is our Plan?

Also some good stuff on transformational leadership.
EB
Oct 04, 2014 EB rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A concise read about establishing and maintaining a strong focused organization. Worth reading if you're leading any kind of organizational transformation or establishing a new organization. I found his questions and the text to help you think through the questions very helpful.
Marfita
Oct 20, 2012 Marfita rated it did not like it
Shelves: forced-reading
This is $2 worth of information in a book that shouldn't have cost more than $7. Yes, all very helpful, but repetitive, derivative, larded with pointless footnotes, and repetitive. If you paid $16 for this, I cannot but shake my head at you.
The most important thing I learned was that it's not just important but vital to cut programs and services that are not producing results. Even if there is a need. Even if it's traditional and covered by your mission statement. Rewrite the mission statement.
Mckinley
Jan 25, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction, career
What is our mission?
Who is our customer? (who must we satisfy)
What does the customer value?
What are our results?
What is our plan?

Short book to listen to. Five questions are a bit flushed out. Each one could be (and are) a separate book.
Dave Bolton
May 27, 2014 Dave Bolton rated it really liked it
There's a reason Drucker is considered the best: his writing is just so clear and incisive. Quick read, won't be new ideas to modern readers, but the writing makes it worth it.
Matt
Jan 26, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Truly an excellent book! a lot of the reviews said it was too short but it really is the best concise volume for such a selection. I believe it is meant to be a guide and quick reference for any organization in need of guidance for self-assessment and continued planning.
Maduck831
Feb 05, 2014 Maduck831 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
should buy and spend sometime answering/dissecting questions re: my professional life
Lesley
Jul 29, 2016 Lesley rated it liked it
There were some good points but it didn't really address my needs.
Charles Dull
Disappointing, seems like the Hesselbein institute simply wants to use a Drucker idea, format it as something new but not new and sell a book. This does not meet the standard of a Drucker work
Ann Rempel
May 21, 2016 Ann Rempel rated it really liked it
Quick read and interesting for board members.
Frank Speight
Feb 04, 2016 Frank Speight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise and Invaluable

I hate long boring text! This was concise, well informed, practical, and very effective. Anyone leading, serving on the board of, or simply volunteering in a third sector entity will find this book invaluable. I used it in a church setting and was very impressed with the results.

Ted Gurley
Jan 18, 2016 Ted Gurley rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, management
Easy read focusing on 5 key principles.
Emily Fuentes
Oct 16, 2014 Emily Fuentes rated it really liked it
Good read, with great, easy to remember advice from top non-profit leaders and writers. Really practical and easy/quick read
Eric
Jan 29, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
An excellent resource for any senior level executive, director, coordinator, or leader/manager of any non-profit or higher education organization. It is very easy read, with great examples of questions and action steps to implementing the 5 main questions, and aligning sub-questions. To get the most out of this book, you really need to have your organization really sit down and discuss the questions behind this book. I highly recommend.
Rob
Feb 14, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great summary of a great principle.
Jose
Feb 12, 2016 Jose rated it liked it
Simple questions that many leaders find difficulty to answer because they are so busy with 'important' stuff. Great read
Brian
Jul 16, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
A worthwhile read even with the constant references to not for profit organizations throughout, the five questions from Drucker in an easily digestible format with follow up from authors (and students of Drucker). In the end, the for profit business isn't so different than the not for profit: both require passion.
Jim Roots
Mar 14, 2013 Jim Roots rated it liked it
Drucker is so good. I'd give this more stars but it's not Drucker. It's an anthology of essays in tribute to his thoughts some stronger than others but bottom line the concepts are timeless. it's short and well worth using these concepts.
Eric
Jul 16, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Great, really fast read that's educational for anyone in business for themselves, working at a non-profit organization or working at a large company.

You can read this in about three hours and you'll learn a lot from Peter Drucker.
Susan
Dec 31, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
While its 101 and a hour's read, still helpful simplicity for leaders thinking about planning
Kim
Jan 29, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, academic
Very simple questions with complicated answers. Thought provoking for anyone who wants to lead and manage an effective organization. Helps you focus and have a clearer purpose on why you're doing what.
Donny Joseph
Mar 29, 2012 Donny Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Very informative and provide important guidance and tools to self-assess. 5 most important questions should be asked to any organization is a key to success in any business management.
Geoffrey
Feb 10, 2013 Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry, leadership
A simple summary of ideas these authors have expanded elsewhere. A mark of the influence that Druckers thought leadership still has is that these all contributed to revising this book...
Michael
May 10, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Very quick read but the information is something that a leader should take some time to digest and evaluate.
Jpramos
Oct 25, 2014 Jpramos rated it liked it
A simple tool but effective if well used. Enjoyed the book.
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Predictable Success: Getting Your Organization on the Growth Track--And Keeping It There
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Execution Premium
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • A Class with Drucker: The Lost Lessons of the World's Greatest Management Teacher
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything...in Business (and in Life)
  • 101 Great Answers to Toughest Interview Questions
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...

“1. What is our mission? 2. Who is our customer? 3. What does the customer value? 4. What are our results? 5. What is our plan?2” 12 likes
“The danger is in acting on what you believe satisfies the customer. You will inevitably make wrong assumptions. Leadership should not even try to guess at the answers; it should always go to customers in a systematic quest for those answers.” 2 likes