Start by marking “Gandhi on the Gita” as Want to Read:
Gandhi on the Gita

Gandhi on the Gita

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  559 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Gandhi used his time in prison corresponding with followers. One asked about the ethical questions in the Bhagavad Gita, and Gandhi replied to this, and to other questions. Finally, he put together his comments and analysis of the lessons that Krishna was sharing with Arjuna in a little book, his most concise expression of this Hindu holy book as he understood it. After hi ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Bandanna Books (first published 1946)

Marcus
Apr 14, 2009 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time I've read the Gita. I'm glad I happened to read this version which includes Gandhi's comments--without them I don't think I would have gotten a whole lot from it, with them, I found it to be a beautiful and peaceful book.

One of the problems I've had with my limited attempts at understanding Eastern philosophy is how to reconcile the Eastern idea non-striving with the Western values of action and ambition. Both, in their proper context, seem appealing and right. The Bhagav
Ivy
I'm not sure you can rate a spiritual text...
Nathan Satterlee
Apr 22, 2012 Nathan Satterlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gandhi's translation and interpretation of this classic Hindu poem is unique in the way it emphasizes the need for hard work, constant striving, and determined effort in the pursuit of our social obligations, moral strengthening, and spiritual fulfillment.

Kristy
Sep 05, 2015 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard for me to relate to and understand many parts of this text - including the commentaries by Gandhi - but several parts strike me with truth like an arrow hitting the center of a target. It is a beautiful book and, together with others, will become part of my core important books.
Erik Graff
Jun 03, 2015 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
Prince Arjuna has qualms at the prospect of fighting his friends and relatives while awaiting the charge on the battlefield. Lord Krishna, disguised as his charioteer, talks him out of his hesitation.
"What an unlikely text for the exegetical efforts of the world's most famous pacifist, M.K. Gandhi!" I thought upon seeing it on the shelves of the Grinnell College library. I'd read the Gita previously and a substantial amount of material by and about Gandhi, but this was new and intriguing. I ch
Fusheng Chen
"Yoga means nothing but skill in work," he claims, and the background to his religious and political beliefs revealed in these lectures gives deeper meaning to his attempts to establish schools, factories, and communities in rural India with the goal of freedom from colonial rule in sight.

Gandhi teaches that life is suffering, liberation is unattainable, and none of us will ever reach perfection in this life. "But, without worrying ourselves about this, we should continue to strive and cultivate
Amy
Sep 29, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've never read a religious text other than the Bible before. It was truly interesting to get a new perspective on the world, especially in how Gandhi applied it to his own life. I made several connections to the book, but there were also aspects I disagreed with on a fundamental level. Part of this was naturally from how I've been raised and how I've come to look at the world. Yet I appreciated the challenge and the opportunity to reexamine my own beliefs.
Christine Bourgeois
I'm not sure yet... Very deep and a lot to digest. Actually... Not sure I can ever rate it... Can you rate a spiritual text? Does the bible have a rating?
Melinda Terry
Interesting, but I love the Holy Bible Best
Jeff
Jul 19, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Andy M.
This is Book #4 in 2012's survey of holy shit (#3 was Hinduism's Upanishads).

(note: i said to myself before i started typing, "I'm gonna try to be a real straightshooter in this review"; rereading for typos before posting, i see that i strayed from that narrow path)

Synopsis of the Gita, as distinct from the commentary
Arjuna is prince of the good guys (the Pandavas) and he's slated to lead his troops against the forces of evil (the Kauravas). The combatants are as closely related to each other as
Kandy Vang
Mar 24, 2016 Kandy Vang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bhagavad Gita According to Gandhi was a very interesting and inspiring book. I loved how he told us more about "the Gita" and its whole meaning throughout the book. "The Gita does not decide for us..." and "...the Gita is not for those who have no faith". However, I did find the book a bit hard to read because of the commentaries that Gandhi made throughout the book. It just kind of got me off track to what I was reading when I read those...it was nice knowing his thoughts on these things th ...more
Prakash
Dec 10, 2015 Prakash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gandhi was completely comfortable in his own skin and loved his religion and culture despite the Brits telling the Indian people that everything British was superior to everything Indian. His inspiration to kick the Brits out of India was the Bhagavad Gita so it was important for me to read what he had to say. I am a big fan of Rajiv Malhotra and he is a big fan of Gandhi. Here is what Malhotra has to say about Gandhi along with how Gandhi applied the teaching of the Bhagavad Gita to kicking the ...more
Kavit
Some of d nitty gritties of modern world's complexities is so aptly simplified by GITA ,further explained by GANDHI.
It was a start-to-finish read.
Matt
Jun 19, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life, poetry, worklife
This is another book which, if read at an early enough age (early 20's) would form a solid foundation for moving forward well in life. When combined with readings of the Bible, Koran, Dhammapda and other texts of ancient wisdom traditions, we see the commonalities for peace and nonviolence are much greater than the differences which people ignorantly use to foment violence and fear.

Having Gandhi's commentary is illuminating.

I recommend reading a stand-alone text first, drawing your own views and
Rohit Deshmukh
Excellent text to modern philosophy of life.
Hukam Chand
who wrote satyagaraha gita.
Misha Kaura
Apr 21, 2016 Misha Kaura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting translation.
Anders
Less accessible to western audiences thereby highlighting, if not necessarily illuminating, fundamental differences between eastern and western cultures. I left with some new insight regarding Gandhi, and some new thoughts about the Gita, but above all a feeling that there are some things that I, being from New York City, will probably never understand about the east.
Peter
May 02, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that Gandhi tried to use the Bhagavad Gita to mold his philosophy of non-violence. The interpretations of Gandhi didn't follow the true teachings of the Gita; however is a good read if you'd like to find out more about Gandhi's insight and religious view, as well as giving you an opportunity to learn about the maxims of the Gita.
Lon
Aug 24, 2014 Lon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lackluster translation of an outstanding scripture. Fave renditions are by Isherwood or Easwaran.
St. Wait
Jun 19, 2011 St. Wait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of interesting thoughts have been presented to me. I enjoyed the comment by Ghandi on many of the failures we face in life: "Failure is not due to want of effort but is in spite of it." Also, "Knowledge w/o devotion will be like a misfire," as we must have devotion and then knowledge will more clearly follow.
Harrison
Dec 03, 2010 Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
The Bhagavad Gita is certainly not an easy book to read, but Gandhi's interpretation makes it much more accessible to the casual reader. At times his interpretation of the Gita is a bit strained toward his own political leanings, but otherwise it's a great spiritual work.
Ronny
Sep 01, 2010 Ronny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This is a very down to earth discussion of the meaning of this text; the focus is on non-violence. Whether this is what Gandhi got out of the text, or something he read back in after he cemented his philosophy is beyond me. Still, it's inspirational and very readable.
Peter Ferko
Jul 02, 2015 Peter Ferko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating to hear Gandhi's views of the typical confusion people have with Krishna's advice to Arjuna. A book about a warrior's duty interpreted by a master of non-violence.
Emily
Jul 03, 2011 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stalled
This is my first stab at reading the Gita, and I just got stuck. I think I'll be able to manage all the commentary more effectively after reading a different translation first.
Shubham Bansal
Jan 04, 2016 Shubham Bansal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was interesting to read Gita from Gandhi's eyes... though its kinda impossible to grasp the complex concepts in one read .. will come back again .
Pratap
A good starting book on Bhagavad Gita. Definitely not an elaborated book on gita. But i say its a must read on gita. Gandhi is a serious advocate of Gita way of living.
Maughn Gregory
Gandhi's own translation and commentary on the Gita are must-reads for spiritual and political practitioners everywhere.
Charlotte
May 29, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simply awesome. i'm not sure what to say, though. i think i really read this about three times, reading and rereading...
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita - A Commentary for Modern Readers
  • What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
  • Bhagavad Gita As Viewed by Swami Vivekananda
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
  • Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India
  • The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners
  • Sadhana
  • Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses: Spiritual Secrets of Ayurveda
  • The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti: A Mahayana Scripture
  • The Complete Rig Veda [Unabridged]
  • What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai
  • The Purity of Desire: 100 Poems of Rumi
  • The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
  • Why Can't We Be Good?
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu
More about Mahatma Gandhi...

“I might be ready to embrace a snake, but, if one comes to bite you, I should kill it and protect you.” 8 likes
“Before God the work of man will be judged by the spirit in which it is done, not by the nature of the work which makes no difference whatsoever.” 2 likes