Start by marking “HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE” as Want to Read:
HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE

HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE (Henry and Mudge #2)

Henry and Mudge discover some spring surprises in this second adventure of the series. Full-color illustrations.
Published April 1st 1987 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE

L12aliciacarrera
Cynthis Rylant writes three mini adventures in the Henry and Mudge book. Henry is a little boy who has a 180-pound dog named Mudge. Each story in this book deals with a specific topic that is told playfully and lightly enough for a young reader. In the first adventure of this book, "Snow Glory," Henry has fallen in love with a beautiful blue flower. Henry knows he shouldn't touch it,"But he thought how nice it would look in a jar." At one point Henry tells Mudge that he "needs" the flower, which ...more
Jennifer  Davis
May 11, 2015 Jennifer Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 7 year old son recently borrowed this book from his school library.

This is the second book in the Henry and Mudge series. Don't worry, you will not be lost if you read the books out of order. In this installment, Spring has arrived. Henry is enjoying riding his bike and Mudge is enjoying doing what dogs do. Henry and Mudge have several great adventures. They come across a beautiful snow flower that Henry wants to pick very badly, but his mother advises him to let it grow and to let others en
Chantelle
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Maeve
Apr 03, 2015 Maeve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read to date. Really changed my outlook on life <3
Ashley Steele
Henry a boy and Mudge the dog are best friends, they go on three adventures showing their side of fun. One day mudge and henry find a snow glory, henry really wanted to pick it but his mother said no. Henry and Mudge would watch the snow glory everyday until one day mudge ate the flower. Henry scolded Mudge but felt bad and told him to listen to instructions and he wouldnt get into trouble. Two other adventures in this book happened: one day it was raining, henry and mudge found a pond and jumpe ...more
Colby
Nov 27, 2013 Colby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This book consists of three short stories about a boy and his dog. They have many adventures together and learn many important lessons. The little boys name is Henry and the dog is Mudge. I thought the language that the author uses is the simplicity needed for the reader. This book made me sigh a few times because it is cute with the last story having Mudge protect the kittens and the both Henry and Mudge learning important life lessons, as well as Henry’s father; in the middle story he is mad b ...more
babyhippoface
I am a big fan of Cynthia Rylant's Mr. Putter and Tabby series. I love the books about Poppleton and his friends, too, but I had never read a Henry & Mudge until this week. I chose this one to read with Kindergarten because of its springtime theme. The kids enjoyed it, and all 20 of the Henry & Mudge books on my shelf were checked out by the end of the week.

In the first of the three stories, Henry & Mudge discover a pretty blue flower in their yard. Henry wants to pick it, but his m
Josie
Personal reaction-
Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble is the second book in Cynthia Rylant’s series. Henry and Mudge is a great series to use for children transition books. They are small chapter books that are filled with pictures of a boy and dog journey. These were my favorite series books as a kid.
Purpose in classroom-
I would use this to transition kids from beginner books to a higher level of reading. The sentence structure is more fluent and there are more words on a page. The value of thes
Judi
Nov 12, 2016 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry and Mudge are a boy and a dog -- best friends. In the series by Rylant, they go on wonderful adventures together.
Kirkus: "Warm, loving, and gently philosophical, these stories about an only child and his closest companion..."

In the second book of this series, Henry and Mudge have 3 adventures. In "The Snow Glory", Mudge eats a flower that Henry doesn't want him to eat. Henry gets mad, but them remembers to "let it go", as his mom told him - for the flower didn't belong to him; it didn't b
Chelsey Stotler
Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble is a book that includes three heartwarming tales of Henry and his dog Mudge. The first tale is about a March flower. The second tale is about an April puddle made for splashing. The third tale is about a May litter of kittens. The very short chapters in this book allow teachers to come up with fun Spring time lesson plans that relate to all of the fun Henry and Mudge have. This book has brightly colored illustrations and a positive message. This story is great f ...more
Jennifer Heise
My first grader loves to read, and he loves dogs-- I keep bringing Henry and Mudge books home and he keeps reading them. So it wasn't a surprise that when this caught his eye, he sat down and read the whole thing from cover to cover. There are three chapters, all set in spring. I especially enjoyed the chapter where Henry and Mudge go out in the rain (forgetting to ask permission) and romp in a puddle: when Dad finds them, he is first frustrated, and then, after getting splattered by Mudge, jump ...more
Donna
Henry and Mudge is a delightful series that has been charming students and teachers for decades. In this book, Henry and Mudge venture out into a rainy day and have fun making a mess in puddles. Along the way, Mudge eats a flower and they find a litter of kittens.

I like the Henry and Mudge series because they work well when working with struggling readers. The text is limited, pictures are interesting and the story lines keep you wondering what will Henry and Mudge do next?
A good book to use for
D'Anne
Feb 02, 2016 D'Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read a number of Henry and Mudge books. The main thing I like about them is that my 6.5 year old son can read them to me by himself. I also like that the books are free of rude language or situations (unlike, say, Spongebob Squarepants, which I don't like, or Adventure Time, which I do like). This particular book was more difficult to read than others due to the way the lines of text were presented on the page. The sentences were broken in odd places and at times it was hard to follow the s ...more
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 Chak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
We have read every Henry and Mudge book and love them. Mudge is a gigantic, slobbering hound and Henry is his mildly insecure and not-lonely-anymore human friend. They get into all sorts of innocent mayhem usually involving being afraid of something, not knowing how to act and/or drooling. Good for ages 3-7.

If you're looking for similar books, try the Mr. Putter and Tabby series about an old man, his cat, his wacky lady neighbor and her bulldog.
Tobinsfavorite
I had low expectations for this book, but it turned out alright. The stories are much more engaging than the first book, although there isn't very much there, but the last of the three stories is actually kind of harrowing for a children's book. It all turns out OK. (A big strange dog approaches an unattended box of little kittens but is chased off by Mudge. This may seem more harrowing to me because our two kittens lost a sibling that way, although we didn't meet them until after that.)
Mimi
Oct 07, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Henry and Mudge book. Again, Jill loved having a book with chapters.

This book allowed Jill and I to have a discussion about leaving the house with asking me. I like that Henry's dad made sure Henry understood that he had behaved wrongly by leaving the house without telling him, but then after it was obvious Henry understood, his dad was able to move on and enjoy spending time with his son rather than punishing him or going on and on about his son's mistake.
Heidi-Marie
Good book to help with beginning readers. Large type and lots of white space. Pictures to help along. Some behavior concepts snuck in the stories. And what child doesn't want to read about another child and their beloved pet doing things that pets and children like to do? I, personally, would have loved to have my dad join in puddle hopping.
Jill
Feb 13, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
A venture story about the wetness of Spring. This would be an addition to the series to read in the classroom through independent or guided reading. This book also teaches about forgiveness and is a great read!
Donna
Mar 23, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Fun, short stories about a boy and his dog that are nice early readers. These are harder than Elephant and Piggie but easier than a true chapter book. The three stories are not sequential, so each one can stand alone.
Randomfish
Mar 15, 2015 Randomfish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-liyah
Six year old enjoyed this as much as the first one. She can read most of it herself, but likes them as bed-time stories. She enjoyed all three stories, but liked the Puddle Trouble one the best. She really enjoyed the Dad's reaction to the giant puddle! :)

Jillian
Feb 04, 2009 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This is the first H&M we've read where Henry is naughty, and more than once. I'm not sure I like that he's naughty and doesn't get into trouble for it... but I can't knock H&M too much 'cause they're our favorites!
Alaina Sloo
May 15, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful Cynthia Rylant early reader series, much enjoyed by kids kindergarten through 2d grade. Sweet, gentle stories about the relationship between a boy and his very big dog. Many kids love them, but boys seem to gravitate toward them most.
Nicola Mansfield
Your average easy reader. Surprisingly dull considering the author. Contains three short stories, each a spring related theme: the first flower, puddles and new-born kittens. There are better easy readers but this could do if you need a "boy and his dog" themed series.
Keshia
Aug 26, 2012 Keshia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son loves to listen to me read these stories.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7320 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Pauline
Apr 30, 2014 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They are three books in a little box..excellent adventures ...still my preschooler cannot read these books by herself but we enjoy them...
Tammy
Apr 30, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: payton-s-shelf
Turrean
I love the moment every year when I read a class their first Cynthia Rylant book.

*Magic*
  • Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Go Away, Dog
  • I Like Bugs
  • Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School
  • The Berenstain Bears Ride the Thunderbolt
  • Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Frog and Fly
  • Iris and Walter
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)