HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE

HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE (Henry and Mudge #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  31 reviews
brHenry and his 180-pound dog Mudge are best friends forever. And in this second book of their adventures, they venture out into the wet and happy world of spring.
Published April 1st 1987 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HENRY AND MUDGE IN PUDDLE TROUBLE

L12aliciacarrera
Cynthis Rylant writes three mini adventures in the Henry and Mudge book. Henry is a little boy who has a 180-pound dog named Mudge. Each story in this book deals with a specific topic that is told playfully and lightly enough for a young reader. In the first adventure of this book, "Snow Glory," Henry has fallen in love with a beautiful blue flower. Henry knows he shouldn't touch it,"But he thought how nice it would look in a jar." At one point Henry tells Mudge that he "needs" the flower, which...more
Colby
This book consists of three short stories about a boy and his dog. They have many adventures together and learn many important lessons. The little boys name is Henry and the dog is Mudge. I thought the language that the author uses is the simplicity needed for the reader. This book made me sigh a few times because it is cute with the last story having Mudge protect the kittens and the both Henry and Mudge learning important life lessons, as well as Henry’s father; in the middle story he is mad b...more
babyhippoface
I am a big fan of Cynthia Rylant's Mr. Putter and Tabby series. I love the books about Poppleton and his friends, too, but I had never read a Henry & Mudge until this week. I chose this one to read with Kindergarten because of its springtime theme. The kids enjoyed it, and all 20 of the Henry & Mudge books on my shelf were checked out by the end of the week.

In the first of the three stories, Henry & Mudge discover a pretty blue flower in their yard. Henry wants to pick it, but his m...more
Nicola Mansfield
Your average easy reader. Surprisingly dull considering the author. Contains three short stories, each a spring related theme: the first flower, puddles and new-born kittens. There are better easy readers but this could do if you need a "boy and his dog" themed series.
Pauline
They are three books in a little box..excellent adventures ...still my preschooler cannot read these books by herself but we enjoy them...
Chelsey Stotler
Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble is a book that includes three heartwarming tales of Henry and his dog Mudge. The first tale is about a March flower. The second tale is about an April puddle made for splashing. The third tale is about a May litter of kittens. The very short chapters in this book allow teachers to come up with fun Spring time lesson plans that relate to all of the fun Henry and Mudge have. This book has brightly colored illustrations and a positive message. This story is great f...more
Donna
Henry and Mudge is a delightful series that has been charming students and teachers for decades. In this book, Henry and Mudge venture out into a rainy day and have fun making a mess in puddles. Along the way, Mudge eats a flower and they find a litter of kittens.

I like the Henry and Mudge series because they work well when working with struggling readers. The text is limited, pictures are interesting and the story lines keep you wondering what will Henry and Mudge do next?
A good book to use for...more
Tobinsfavorite
I had low expectations for this book, but it turned out alright. The stories are much more engaging than the first book, although there isn't very much there, but the last of the three stories is actually kind of harrowing for a children's book. It all turns out OK. (A big strange dog approaches an unattended box of little kittens but is chased off by Mudge. This may seem more harrowing to me because our two kittens lost a sibling that way, although we didn't meet them until after that.)
Mimi
This is the second Henry and Mudge book. Again, Jill loved having a book with chapters.

This book allowed Jill and I to have a discussion about leaving the house with asking me. I like that Henry's dad made sure Henry understood that he had behaved wrongly by leaving the house without telling him, but then after it was obvious Henry understood, his dad was able to move on and enjoy spending time with his son rather than punishing him or going on and on about his son's mistake.
Chak
We have read every Henry and Mudge book and love them. Mudge is a gigantic, slobbering hound and Henry is his mildly insecure and not-lonely-anymore human friend. They get into all sorts of innocent mayhem usually involving being afraid of something, not knowing how to act and/or drooling. Good for ages 3-7.

If you're looking for similar books, try the Mr. Putter and Tabby series about an old man, his cat, his wacky lady neighbor and her bulldog.
Heidi
Good book to help with beginning readers. Large type and lots of white space. Pictures to help along. Some behavior concepts snuck in the stories. And what child doesn't want to read about another child and their beloved pet doing things that pets and children like to do? I, personally, would have loved to have my dad join in puddle hopping.
Alaina Sloo
Another wonderful Cynthia Rylant early reader series, much enjoyed by kids kindergarten through 2d grade. Sweet, gentle stories about the relationship between a boy and his very big dog. Many kids love them, but boys seem to gravitate toward them most.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7320 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Jillian
This is the first H&M we've read where Henry is naughty, and more than once. I'm not sure I like that he's naughty and doesn't get into trouble for it... but I can't knock H&M too much 'cause they're our favorites!
Jill
A venture story about the wetness of Spring. This would be an addition to the series to read in the classroom through independent or guided reading. This book also teaches about forgiveness and is a great read!
Cindy Pardew
A compilation of three stories with a boy and his pet dog. One is about a flower, another about playing in rain puddles, and the last about baby kittens.
Brynja Carlson
One of Brynja's favorite books. I don't think it's anything special but for some reason she absolutely LOVES this book. Especially the Snow Glory story.
Natasha Friegang
The Kinders loved this one! They keep asking for more Henry and Mudge books, so I try to get a couple each week from our library. Great series!
Dolly
Aug 03, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Another fun book in the "Henry and Mudge" series. The stories are not linked together, but they are all fun. Our girls love these books!
Sheila
Henry and his big dog Mudge are at it again in this book. My daughter enjoys all the books we have read in this series.
Cheryl
Three heartwarming tales of the loveable dog and his boy. Brightly colored illustrations and a positive message.
Turrean
I love the moment every year when I read a class their first Cynthia Rylant book.

*Magic*
Graceann Jacobson
It had some good lessons on not getting mad, being responsible, and watching out for each other.
Nora
MCL. My favorite part was when the dad came and heard "Splash, splash."
Tammy
Jessie
Henry and Mudge find multiple ways to celebrate spring.
Keshia
My son loves to listen to me read these stories.
Cws
May 18, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Ryl
  • Biscuit's Big Friend
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years