Start by marking “Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet

Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet (Henry and Mudge #20)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Cousin Annie loves
Henry's big dog Mudge
so much that she wishes
for a pet of her own.
But what kind of pet
should Annie get?
A crab would be too hard.
A turtle would be too wet.
And a bird might fly into
her teacup collection.
What Annie needs is a pet
that's soft and dry and
doesn't fly -- one that's quiet
and careful, just like Annie.
Published February 1st 2000 by Simon Spotlight (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet

Chantelle
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Rosa Cline
Mar 26, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is a level 2 "reading together' book. Words weren't super hard nor were the sentences; so as long as a merging reader had help they could probably read this book.

Henry and his dog Mudge loves Henry's cousin; they are all best friends. But Annie doesn't have a pet of her own. But her Dad has to work a lot and so no one is home much. But Henry and Mudge are bound and determined to figure out a loving pet for Annie. And working together with Henrys parent's they do find the perfect pet for An
Libby
Apr 06, 2014 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've been reading lots of Henry and Mudge along with Mr. Putter and Tabby, and this week's installment seems like it might become a favorite. I think they particularly liked it in part because they already knew all the characters at this point...but finding a perfect pet for Annie was also a fun topic. Oh, and they laughed at Henry's father trying to think of a pet that could tap dance!
Claudia
(CIP) Although Henry’s cousin Annie likes his dog Mudge, when she gets her own pet she decides that a bunny will be perfect for her.

(Claudia) Another pleasant easy reader set in the gentle, all-white world of Henry and Mudge and their families, with enough action – set amongst Stevenson’s colorful, expressive illustrations – to keep a beginning reader engaged through to the end of the last “chapter.” Gr. 1-2.

(SLJ) "A quiet and careful offering that is sure to please."

(Hornbook) "Cheerily illustr
Child960801
Jun 17, 2014 Child960801 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Henry and Mudge help Annie find the perfect pet. This book leads into the campion series, Annie and Snowball.
J.J.
Apr 24, 2014 J.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Somehow I see my daughter wanting to getting a bunny now. YIKES!
Danette
Jun 27, 2016 Danette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Read with Naomi and Julia.
Elanor
All by herself!
Phillip
Nov 09, 2014 Phillip rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary-k-2
3.75 Stars
Karen Stanford
I really enjoy the Henry and Mudge Series and Annie's Perfect Pet has the same wonderful illustrations as the others. I found this particular book seems more suited to girls than boys although anyone who has read the series would probably enjoy this one as well. Because of the higher vocabulary I would recommend this for seven and eight years old.
Christy Whitaker
I like Rylant's use of adjectives ( ex. big, drooly, soft, warm, etc.) and stylistic writing (using commas, as well as and multiple times in a series) in this book. I also liked that she divided the story into mini chapters/sections. This method prepares children for chapter books.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
Cute story about matching a person with the perfect pet for them. Great book for beginning readers! Our girls just adore these books; we've read this one a few times and they always ask for a bunny after we read it.
Edward Creter
Henry's next door neighbor Annie loves big ol' Mudge, but she wants her own pet, so Henry has the perfect solution: a bunny named Snowball. A wondrous treat for Mudge fans.
Johannes Kristian
MCL. It was funny because the dog was dancing with Henry's father. But dogs cannot dance and they only crawl. Jaeger says they only sit and stand.
Amy Olson
This is a great book for beginner readers! This book is also perfect for a lesson on how to use the table of contents.
Lizzy Lan
Apr 03, 2013 Lizzy Lan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute story in which Henry and Annie search the pet store for the perfect pet for her. She ends up choosing a bunny!
Jessie
Nov 10, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was my favourite Henry and Mudge book.
Nik
Feb 10, 2010 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the illustrations.
Regina
Regina rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Cailyn Hua
Cailyn Hua rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Sherri White
Sherri White rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Readergirl77
Readergirl77 marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Huifen Li
Huifen Li rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • Biscuit Takes a Walk
  • Get Well, Good Knight
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Froggy Rides a Bike
  • The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Benny and Penny in the Toy Breaker: TOON Level 2
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)