Start by marking “The Light of the Oracle” as Want to Read:
The Light of the Oracle

The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,562 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Bryn is the daughter of a humble stone-cutter. So no one is more surprised than she when the Master Priest seeks her out to become a student at the famous Temple of the Oracle; a training school for future priests and priestesses.

But her innately gifted nature proves a threat to the evil embedded within the Temple, and Bryn encounters unimaginable danger. Is she able to s
Library Binding, 320 pages
Published May 10th 2005 by David Fickling Books (first published August 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Light of the Oracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light of the Oracle

Lia
That's strange. I was sure I had written a review for this book when I put it up.

It's not as fresh in my mind now, but here goes. . . .

I do remember that it had a lot of wonderful ideas (like being chosen by specific birds as part of one's personal power), but that every character was there solely to forward the plot. So, everyone is black or white. I could predict with certainty what would happen and who would do what . . . every time. And the antagonist characters got so monotonous. And the p
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Bryn, daughter of a humble stone cutter, is whisked off to the Temple of the Oracle as she has a natural talent for making prophecies. But not all is right in the temple and Bryn is in terrible danger from those inside the temple. The Light of the Oracle is a really good companion novel to The Seer and The Sword and The Healers Keep, which was a charming and sweet read, with interesting magic around birds. I liked B
Kayleigh
I enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy, so even though it had been years since I read them, I was excited to find this at the library so I could revisit the world to which Hanley introduced me in The Seer and the Sword and The Healer's Keep.
Now, though, I find myself staring at the book quizzically, wondering what went wrong.
First of all, while Goodreads lists this as the third in the Healer and Seer series, it doesn't feel in any way connected to the two aforementioned books. It may be s
Tammie
Not quite as good as The Seer and the Sword, but better than The Healer's Keep.
Diana
I absolutely love this book. I think I've read it like three or four times. Yes, it doesn't really subvert any genre tropes and has the stock crowd of "mean girls (and boys)," which falls pretty heavily along class lines. (At least the antagonist girl is actually mean, rather than the main character simply hating her on sight for no reason other than maybe jealousy and turning out to be absolutely justified later.) But oh gosh, there was just something so charming and inventive about the world, ...more
Olgy
Jul 26, 2009 Olgy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle grade and up
Shelves: young-adult
I originally wrote and posted this review to the CCF website.
-----------------
Hot off the press I received Victoria Hanley's new book, The Light of the Oracle. This is a companion to her two previous books The Seer and the Sword and The Healer's Keep. I've read and delighted in her previous titles so was anxiously anticipating its publication.

I love fantasy/sci-fi and this is an exquisite read. There's something to be said about a straight forward wondro
Louise
I coincidentally came across this book without reading the first two books I have to be honest. I really wish I read the two before this one first. There are spoilers in this by the way, don't read it if you haven't read the book.

I have to say, I was really close to putting the book down in the middle of it because it didn't really seem to spark anything and the story-line didn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm glad I didn't put the book down because I actually really liked it towards the ending
astaraelsget
I read this years and years ago, so I don't remember much about it except the bare bones of the plot and just how bad it was. I'm talking author-insert fanfiction bad. The protagonist is a Mary Sue in the worst way; she has virtually no flaws except being mopey because she's such a unique and special snowflake (complete with unique and special snowflake powers!) and no one understands her. Plus, you get to spend a huge chunk of the book watching her get picked on by the "mean girls" and the teac ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 10, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For teen girls who like Tamora Pierce and Garth Nix
Shelves: fantasy, youngadult
Bryn thinks of herself as a scatterbrain, so she doesn’t understand what the Master Priest sees in her to take her to the Temple of the Oracle. Fellow new recruit Clea agrees, sneering at Bryn with her poor stonecutter daughter’s background.

But Bryn is powerfully gifted, chosen not just by a single bird like the rest of the gifted ones, but by the very wind itself. But it will take all her abilities, and the help of her loyal friends, to defeat the evil taking over the Temple.

By the author of Th
Teea
After reading the Seer and the sword I was expecting more substance from the author. I was sorely mistaken. It wasn't a bad book, don't get me wrong. It just was lacking in certain areas, like a plot line. It was slow and the magical world was loosely defined. I find it difficult to understand the characters if I don't understand the world in which they're governed. I find it unrealistic when characters just "know" what to do with their new found powers and have no training nor any repercussions ...more
Heidi
great book, a little bit confusing with all the elaborate, exotic names she chose. I read it quickly, but I wasn't totally enthralled. it reminded me of the books of Baryn and the Goose Girl. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Bethany
This book was okay. Once. I got to the end, I was glad that I had read it. But it did not read nearly as easily as Hanley's Seer and the Sword. I was expecting it to be more like that book, which I suppose is my own fault.
Kerli
Interesting ideas in this book, really liked it. Characters are a bit flat, lots of intrigue (I'm really not into politics), and a bit of timey-wimey stuff makes it all come together at the end.
Kelley
It was a very colorful and interesting story. I couldn't put it down.
Darcy Stewart
Light of the Oracle was not at all what I thought it would be. I didn't really like the plot. The whole idea of her being in danger just doesn't sound good.You don't get to know Brynn enough to like her. The author doesn't dig deep enough into her characters. While I was reading the book I was struggling to keep continuing. It's just strange that she is gifted by the wind. Okay I don't really get that. How can you be gifted by the wind or some bird like the other characters. The book is too shor ...more
Katie
Suzana
I have read the other two books in the series and enjoyed then so I was anticipating this book, but it was such a disappointment. Several times I just wanted to close the book and forget finishing it. So many of the characters were just cruel, including all but one adult! So many things were unexplained and names were mentioned near the end of the book that felt like they should be significant and yet they were not really talked about. The ending seemed abrupt.
Mae
Alyssa
Bryn becomes a handmaid at the Temple of the Oracle and her life changes forever. Quite a creative and new world has been constructed and I found myself wanting to know more of this world. I had a few qualms over some believability issues, like how the teenage pettiness is manifest through the girls trying to drown Bryn, curse her, etc. Seemed a bit much. But I liked the book. A few parts were violent, so I'd recommend this to older teens.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Bryn us a stonecutter's daughter who is looked at as "odd". She hears and see's things that others do not.

She is following a thistle in the wind when she finds herself in the past of the Master Priest, Renchald. He takes her to the temple to become a handmaiden for the Oracle. Her odd behavior has been the oracle giving her prophecies all along.

There is a little bit of romance, suspense and heroism. It is a good solid read.
Zarakoda
As Victoria Hanley explained, she wrote this book in light of what life would be like to live in a polytheistic society. I cannot say I particularly enjoyed some of the refences to cursing, even though it was the antagonist. The bird chosen idea was really clever. The book gets a little bit into a sort of highschool drama twisted in my view, at least the second time reading through it, but it still was enjoyable to read.
Alyssa
This is my least favorite of Victoria Hanley's books so far but it was still pretty good. It was interesting how she dropped little bits of information pertaining to future events, that when you were reading you were like "Oh wow how did I not get that before." To the plot I give three stars because I thought it was a bit wierd, but to Hanley for her writing style 5 bazillion stars with her wickedly awesome writing style.
Smilingbook
Bryn is such a unusaul girl, which really lured me in the book, she wasn't one of those, posh and wealthy people, like Clea Errington (A character in the book.) I especially liked reading about her love for Kiran and how her relationship with him started off as friends and developed into a much bigger relationship. Reccomended to all those who think about reading it. Can't wait to read more Victoria Hanley books.
Liz
I liked that she went back to just one main character for the third book. There were lots of great "supporting actors", but Bryn was a very lovable leading lady from the very first page. Again I liked that the story doesn't have or need a lot of background or build up. She just plunges into the story and it's an enjoyable ride the whole way. Good solid young adult fantasy.
Kendra Lee
I love the worlds that Hanley creates. Her characters are so real and the boundaries of the magic within them clearly defined and believable. Bryn is one of the best young-adult heroines, her thoughts are perfect to what a teenage girl would think. Kiran is the best teenage man in the young adult genre, I want him in my life. Truly a beautiful creation.
Michelle
I did enjoy this book, the story however did move too fast and I didn't feel like the action/conflict was truly developed. I liked the concept of these people being able to predict the future based on talents given them by their 'patron' bird. Good ideas and interesting characters, I just felt like it ended right when it got interesting.
Monae
This story was a little hard to grasp for me. I always struggle when there is a pagan rituals involved, and it took me a while to accept the characters bizzarre way of life. Once I game to grips with this though, I really like the main characters. The hero is almost a farmer, and I am a sucker for all farm men in books.
Angela
The first book "Seer and the Sword" was definitely the best of this series. It was just more fun, and the characters were more developed. Her sentences are often short, and not very descriptive; more narrative maybe. She's maybe more of a story teller, and this was a creative one too. Enjoyable evening read.
Sally
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other two "companion books," because her formula was evident by this time, and I wanted to learn more about this world, and less about petty, horribly selfish troublemakers who happen to have positions of authority. Glad I read it, but don't know if it's a re-read.
Disscusion 2 8 Apr 26, 2013 06:25PM
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • The Safe-Keeper's Secret (Safe-Keepers, #1)
  • Day of the Scarab (The Oracle Prophecies, #3)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • An Earthly Knight
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • Warriors of Alavna (Warriors, #1)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dollmage
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)
  • The Singing (The Books of Pellinor, #4)

Healer and Seer (3 books)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2)
The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1) The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2) Violet Wings (Violet Wings, #1) Seize the Story: A Handbook for Teens Who Like to Write Indigo Magic (Violet Wings, #2)