Start by marking “The Light of the Oracle” as Want to Read:
The Light of the Oracle

The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer #3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Bryn is the daughter of a humble stone-cutter. So no one is more surprised than she when the Master Priest seeks her out to become a student at the famous Temple of the Oracle; a training school for future priests and priestesses.

But her innately gifted nature proves a threat to the evil embedded within the Temple, and Bryn encounters unimaginable danger. Is she able to s
Library Binding, 320 pages
Published May 10th 2005 by David Fickling Books (first published August 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Light of the Oracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light of the Oracle

Lia
Nov 20, 2008 Lia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
That's strange. I was sure I had written a review for this book when I put it up.

It's not as fresh in my mind now, but here goes. . . .

I do remember that it had a lot of wonderful ideas (like being chosen by specific birds as part of one's personal power), but that every character was there solely to forward the plot. So, everyone is black or white. I could predict with certainty what would happen and who would do what . . . every time. And the antagonist characters got so monotonous. And the p
Kat Williams
Well, I have to say that this was a VAST improvement from Hanley's second book in this trilogy, Healer's Keep. While distantly set in the same universe as Seer and the Sword and Healer's Keep, The Light of the Oracle is very distinctive in its world building. While I don't think the country was as fleshed out as it could have been it isn't (ultimately)of much consequence. This story solidly takes place in the Temple of the Oracle, rarely extending beyond its walls. We get hints of it here and th ...more
Kayleigh
Oct 22, 2008 Kayleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy, so even though it had been years since I read them, I was excited to find this at the library so I could revisit the world to which Hanley introduced me in The Seer and the Sword and The Healer's Keep.
Now, though, I find myself staring at the book quizzically, wondering what went wrong.
First of all, while Goodreads lists this as the third in the Healer and Seer series, it doesn't feel in any way connected to the two aforementioned books. It may be s
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Bryn, daughter of a humble stone cutter, is whisked off to the Temple of the Oracle as she has a natural talent for making prophecies. But not all is right in the temple and Bryn is in terrible danger from those inside the temple. The Light of the Oracle is a really good companion novel to The Seer and The Sword and The Healers Keep, which was a charming and sweet read, with interesting magic around birds. I liked B
Tammie
Not quite as good as The Seer and the Sword, but better than The Healer's Keep.
astaraelsget
I read this years and years ago, so I don't remember much about it except the bare bones of the plot and just how bad it was. I'm talking author-insert fanfiction bad. The protagonist is a Mary Sue in the worst way; she has virtually no flaws except being mopey because she's such a unique and special snowflake (complete with unique and special snowflake powers!) and no one understands her. Plus, you get to spend a huge chunk of the book watching her get picked on by the "mean girls" and the teac ...more
Darcy Stewart
Light of the Oracle was not at all what I thought it would be. I didn't really like the plot. The whole idea of her being in danger just doesn't sound good.You don't get to know Brynn enough to like her. The author doesn't dig deep enough into her characters. While I was reading the book I was struggling to keep continuing. It's just strange that she is gifted by the wind. Okay I don't really get that. How can you be gifted by the wind or some bird like the other characters. The book is too shor ...more
Amy
Oct 11, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor misfit girl with the power to see the future gets chosen to live in the place where the oracles are trained. She struggles against bullies, evil magic, and discouragement. She makes friends who help her to discover an evil plot and they work together to defeat the bad guys. She finds a special bond with one of the other students.
No swearing, no sex, a bit of violence.
Louise
Jun 11, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I coincidentally came across this book without reading the first two books I have to be honest. I really wish I read the two before this one first. There are spoilers in this by the way, don't read it if you haven't read the book.

I have to say, I was really close to putting the book down in the middle of it because it didn't really seem to spark anything and the story-line didn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm glad I didn't put the book down because I actually really liked it towards the ending
Diana
Mar 21, 2013 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. I think I've read it like three or four times. Yes, it doesn't really subvert any genre tropes and has the stock crowd of "mean girls (and boys)," which falls pretty heavily along class lines. (At least the antagonist girl is actually mean, rather than the main character simply hating her on sight for no reason other than maybe jealousy and turning out to be absolutely justified later.) But oh gosh, there was just something so charming and inventive about the world, ...more
Curious Violet
Feb 18, 2016 Curious Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Light of the Oracle is another older book I decided to give some love and attention to, as it is one of the most beautiful fantasy stories I have ever read. It is listed as a companion to Victoria Hanley’s other books, The Seer and the Sword and The Healer’s Keep, both also incredible works. Last year was Light of the Oracle’s tenth birthday, it being originally released in 2005. I was in sixth grade, and was immediately bewitched by the haunting tale of Bryn, an oracle with an affinity for ...more
Olgy
Jul 26, 2009 Olgy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle grade and up
Shelves: young-adult
I originally wrote and posted this review to the CCF website.
-----------------
Hot off the press I received Victoria Hanley's new book, The Light of the Oracle. This is a companion to her two previous books The Seer and the Sword and The Healer's Keep. I've read and delighted in her previous titles so was anxiously anticipating its publication.

I love fantasy/sci-fi and this is an exquisite read. There's something to be said about a straight forward wondro
Ashley (Bound to Love YA)
Sep 24, 2012 Ashley (Bound to Love YA) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Let's just boil it down to the essential points:

Point 1: Victoria Hanley is so amazing and I love <3<3<3 her books.

Point 2: The Seer and the Sword is an awesome Hanley book and the start of this world and you should definitely read it.

Point 3: Light of the Oracle just doesn't measure up to the other two books in this series in my opinion. The main character, Bryn, didn't quite hold my attention as she was despondent and rather helpless for most of the book. It seemed to pick up around
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right from the first page of The Temple of the Oracle, I knew that I was going to love this book. The reason for this is the way that the main character was written. Bryn is easily likable and kids will instantly bond with her. The story moves along at a lightning pace and I had trouble putting the book down and finished it in a couple of days. I just had to know what was going to happen. As I gobbled up page after page, I became so engrossed in the tale that hours flew by like minutes.

Victoria
Mara Walters-hooey
This book was recommended to me by my sister. I'm glad she told me about it. She randomly took it off our school library's shelf (were we are both teachers=). I found this fantasy novel had all the right ingredients: magic, a well-thought out protagonist — with fully developed characters for friends — dastardly, yet believable, antagonists (yup, there's a few). There were bumps in the road all throughout for the protagonist which kept me turning the pages. I also appreciated that the main charac ...more
Teea
After reading the Seer and the sword I was expecting more substance from the author. I was sorely mistaken. It wasn't a bad book, don't get me wrong. It just was lacking in certain areas, like a plot line. It was slow and the magical world was loosely defined. I find it difficult to understand the characters if I don't understand the world in which they're governed. I find it unrealistic when characters just "know" what to do with their new found powers and have no training nor any repercussions ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 10, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For teen girls who like Tamora Pierce and Garth Nix
Shelves: fantasy, youngadult
Bryn thinks of herself as a scatterbrain, so she doesn’t understand what the Master Priest sees in her to take her to the Temple of the Oracle. Fellow new recruit Clea agrees, sneering at Bryn with her poor stonecutter daughter’s background.

But Bryn is powerfully gifted, chosen not just by a single bird like the rest of the gifted ones, but by the very wind itself. But it will take all her abilities, and the help of her loyal friends, to defeat the evil taking over the Temple.

By the author of Th
Marilla
Jan 30, 2016 Marilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Light of the Oracle is one of my favourite books. I actually haven't read the first two books in this series— I stumbled upon The Light of the Oracle at my public library. Then I had to return it and I forgot about it for awhile, but one day a year or so ago I suddenly remembered the story and I wanted to re-read it... but I couldn't remember the title or author! It became my mission to find this book again. When I finally found it I was thrilled, and I still loved it just as much as I remem ...more
Alyssa
Dec 05, 2009 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Bryn becomes a handmaid at the Temple of the Oracle and her life changes forever. Quite a creative and new world has been constructed and I found myself wanting to know more of this world. I had a few qualms over some believability issues, like how the teenage pettiness is manifest through the girls trying to drown Bryn, curse her, etc. Seemed a bit much. But I liked the book. A few parts were violent, so I'd recommend this to older teens.
King Haddock
Aug 29, 2008 King Haddock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
As Victoria Hanley explained, she wrote this book in light of what life would be like to live in a polytheistic society. I cannot say I particularly enjoyed some of the refences to cursing, even though it was the antagonist. The bird chosen idea was really clever. The book gets a little bit into a sort of highschool drama twisted in my view, at least the second time reading through it, but it still was enjoyable to read.
Alyssa
May 01, 2010 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite of Victoria Hanley's books so far but it was still pretty good. It was interesting how she dropped little bits of information pertaining to future events, that when you were reading you were like "Oh wow how did I not get that before." To the plot I give three stars because I thought it was a bit wierd, but to Hanley for her writing style 5 bazillion stars with her wickedly awesome writing style.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
May 01, 2008 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Bryn us a stonecutter's daughter who is looked at as "odd". She hears and see's things that others do not.

She is following a thistle in the wind when she finds herself in the past of the Master Priest, Renchald. He takes her to the temple to become a handmaiden for the Oracle. Her odd behavior has been the oracle giving her prophecies all along.

There is a little bit of romance, suspense and heroism. It is a good solid read.
Smilingbook
Jul 30, 2011 Smilingbook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bryn is such a unusaul girl, which really lured me in the book, she wasn't one of those, posh and wealthy people, like Clea Errington (A character in the book.) I especially liked reading about her love for Kiran and how her relationship with him started off as friends and developed into a much bigger relationship. Reccomended to all those who think about reading it. Can't wait to read more Victoria Hanley books.
Lee
Jun 21, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previously, sf, ya, 2016
I have read this book so many times. I am reading it again. I really really enjoyed it as a child. So far it is holding up, but I don't remember much of the plot, so I may be disappointed.

ETA: I did enjoy it. I thought the romantic subplot was forced, and I thought in general the story could have been longer? It covered a really long period of time in a pretty short story. I dunno. That was my only criticism, though. It was a good story.
Suzana
Aug 16, 2011 Suzana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the other two books in the series and enjoyed then so I was anticipating this book, but it was such a disappointment. Several times I just wanted to close the book and forget finishing it. So many of the characters were just cruel, including all but one adult! So many things were unexplained and names were mentioned near the end of the book that felt like they should be significant and yet they were not really talked about. The ending seemed abrupt.
Katie
Dec 06, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Jun 04, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 2008
I did enjoy this book, the story however did move too fast and I didn't feel like the action/conflict was truly developed. I liked the concept of these people being able to predict the future based on talents given them by their 'patron' bird. Good ideas and interesting characters, I just felt like it ended right when it got interesting.
Monae
Mar 09, 2009 Monae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was a little hard to grasp for me. I always struggle when there is a pagan rituals involved, and it took me a while to accept the characters bizzarre way of life. Once I game to grips with this though, I really like the main characters. The hero is almost a farmer, and I am a sucker for all farm men in books.
Angela
Apr 30, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book "Seer and the Sword" was definitely the best of this series. It was just more fun, and the characters were more developed. Her sentences are often short, and not very descriptive; more narrative maybe. She's maybe more of a story teller, and this was a creative one too. Enjoyable evening read.
Liz
Mar 02, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that she went back to just one main character for the third book. There were lots of great "supporting actors", but Bryn was a very lovable leading lady from the very first page. Again I liked that the story doesn't have or need a lot of background or build up. She just plunges into the story and it's an enjoyable ride the whole way. Good solid young adult fantasy.
Disscusion 2 8 Apr 26, 2013 06:25PM
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Day of the Scarab (The Oracle Prophecies, #3)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Woman Who Loved Reindeer
  • Warriors of Alavna (Warriors, #1)
  • Unbound (Havoc Chronicles, #2)
  • Jango (Noble Warriors Trilogy, #2)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)

Healer and Seer (3 books)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2)