New York Times Cookbook

New York Times Cookbook

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,724 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Since it was first published in 1961, The New York Times Cook Book, a standard work for gourmet home cooks, has sold nearly three million copies in all editions and continues to sell strongly each year. All the nearly fifteen hundred recipes in the book have been reviewed, revised, and updated, and approximately 40 percent have been replaced.

Emphasizing the timeless nature...more
Published April 25th 1990 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published 1961)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated
Best Cookbooks
178th out of 815 books — 750 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMexican Everyday by Rick BaylessBetty Crocker's Cookbook by Betty CrockerBetty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, Facsimile Edition by Betty CrockerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
THE VERY BEST COOKBOOKS
11th out of 138 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Rodrigo Casar
Truly horrible photos, particularly the color photos.

The book itself is a very useful one. The contents make the book a jewel.
Susan Gardner
In these pages Craig Claiborne taught me to cook and to love to cook. I bought the first edition when it was originally published around 1961 and I have used it ever since. The recipes are clear, well organized, beautifully thought out. The photo sequences to teach how to carve a turkey, make a muffin and similar basics. Yet the food is elegant, sophisticated, as fresh and interesting as ever.

I have an extensive collection of cookbooks, historic ones, books from many times and cultures but I wo...more
Patti McDermott
I was weaned on Betty Crocker as a kid and never understood the lure of the Joy of Cooking, but this was my first go-to cookbook as an adult. I have tried many things and all have come out delicious. My favorite recipe was for the stuffed flank steak. I've never been disappointed with anything I've tried.
Terri
Not one of my favorites but it does have merit. It contains many classic recipes but it is a bit pretentious and over blown.

I wouldn't really recommend this book to a novice cook. Claiborne assumes that basic cooking skills are present.
Geri Jeter
I learned how to cook using this book and still refer to it often. The instructions are clear and in logical order. Also, the authors actually tested all the recipes so they work. Made my first souffle using this book and it came out great.
Girly
This was my first cookbook after I left home. It looks horrid, which I guess is a good sign that it has been used and abused to its fullest.

I think it even has the branded mark of a stove-top coil on the cover.
Heidi
This was the book that I first followed when I started cooking. I've outgrown it, preferring recipes that are more creative, ethnic and low-cal. But it served me well for many years.
Knotty
Another staple cookbook, many classic and timeless recipes.
I am not as fond of the updated version as I am of the original. I would try to get it used for the original recipes.
Costacoralito

This is the cookbook I go to first. It has a good selection of recipes that are fairly simple to prepare. I keep well supplied with the Mango Chutney by making a new batch every year.
Rudolfo
All the recipes that me and a friend of mine made turned out very well. These are superb recipes, refined and tried. Highly recommended.
Heather
This is a classic as far as cookbooks go.. I just saw a new edition (pictured) last year. It's a must-have for every cook.
Erik
Dec 09, 2007 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: cooks
I prefer the layout of the earlier edition of this book. The quick hollandaise is a great simple way of creating this sauce.
Lance
This is one of the books I go to if I am looking for a new recipe or checking for an old recipe. Very Good.
Tim
I confess that I bought this to read rather than use. It's one of the must haves for a cookbook collector.
Catherine Woodman
This is not as good as the original cookbook--when they modernized it, they lost alot
Jessicafriedman
A favorite, because if nothing else, the recipes are worth reading.
Brian Mcdaniel
Classic, but shifting culinary trends have not been kind...
Lynne
A classic that every cook should own and use!
Andrea
Another book I have had for years, and still use!
Peter Kliem
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Bouchon
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Craig Claiborne was a restaurant critic, food writer and former food editor of the New York Times. He was the author of numerous cookbooks and an autobiography. Over the course of his career, he made many contributions to gastronomy and food writing in the United States.

More about Craig Claiborne...
New York Times International Cook Book Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer Cooking with Herbs and Spices Craig Claiborne's a Feast Made for Laughter Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking