Start by marking “New York Times Cookbook” as Want to Read:
New York Times Cookbook

New York Times Cookbook

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,894 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Since it was first published in 1961, The New York Times Cook Book, a standard work for gourmet home cooks, has sold nearly three million copies in all editions and continues to sell strongly each year. All the nearly fifteen hundred recipes in the book have been reviewed, revised, and updated, and approximately 40 percent have been replaced.

Emphasizing the timeless nature
Published April 25th 1990 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about New York Times Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New York Times Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
104th out of 982 books — 972 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBarefoot Contessa at Home by Ina GartenMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso
THE VERY BEST COOKBOOKS
7th out of 153 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Gardner
Jan 31, 2013 Susan Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In these pages Craig Claiborne taught me to cook and to love to cook. I bought the first edition when it was originally published around 1961 and I have used it ever since. The recipes are clear, well organized, beautifully thought out. The photo sequences to teach how to carve a turkey, make a muffin and similar basics. Yet the food is elegant, sophisticated, as fresh and interesting as ever.

I have an extensive collection of cookbooks, historic ones, books from many times and cultures but I wo
Anne
Jul 19, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Someone gave this to us as a wedding gift over 20 years ago. Could not live without it! Almost every recipe is quite simple, usually only taking 1 column. I am not too ambitious as a cook, so this suits me fine. Also, plenty of veg-friendly recipes, including an entire legume chapter.
Rodrigo Casar
May 04, 2013 Rodrigo Casar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comida
Truly horrible photos, particularly the color photos.

The book itself is a very useful one. The contents make the book a jewel.
Teckla
Apr 19, 2016 Teckla rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
An interesting read. I like reading recipes even if i don't try them out. This time I did thug. I cooked rice the easy way. It was a really simple recipe but i can't follow a recipe to save my life, especially one on rice. I always have to check it and you're not supposed too. Don't lift the lid! my cat liked this book too. Every time i opened it she would come over and lie down in the middle of it.
Patti McDermott
Mar 17, 2010 Patti McDermott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I was weaned on Betty Crocker as a kid and never understood the lure of the Joy of Cooking, but this was my first go-to cookbook as an adult. I have tried many things and all have come out delicious. My favorite recipe was for the stuffed flank steak. I've never been disappointed with anything I've tried.
Terri
Dec 09, 2008 Terri rated it liked it
Shelves: own, cookbooks
Not one of my favorites but it does have merit. It contains many classic recipes but it is a bit pretentious and over blown.

I wouldn't really recommend this book to a novice cook. Claiborne assumes that basic cooking skills are present.
Geri Jeter
Mar 14, 2012 Geri Jeter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned how to cook using this book and still refer to it often. The instructions are clear and in logical order. Also, the authors actually tested all the recipes so they work. Made my first souffle using this book and it came out great.
Girly
Jul 12, 2007 Girly rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my first cookbook after I left home. It looks horrid, which I guess is a good sign that it has been used and abused to its fullest.

I think it even has the branded mark of a stove-top coil on the cover.
Heidi
Oct 24, 2011 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
This was the book that I first followed when I started cooking. I've outgrown it, preferring recipes that are more creative, ethnic and low-cal. But it served me well for many years.
Knotty
Jul 06, 2010 Knotty rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Another staple cookbook, many classic and timeless recipes.
I am not as fond of the updated version as I am of the original. I would try to get it used for the original recipes.
Costacoralito
Mar 10, 2010 Costacoralito rated it it was amazing

This is the cookbook I go to first. It has a good selection of recipes that are fairly simple to prepare. I keep well supplied with the Mango Chutney by making a new batch every year.
Rudolfo
Jul 10, 2011 Rudolfo rated it it was amazing
All the recipes that me and a friend of mine made turned out very well. These are superb recipes, refined and tried. Highly recommended.
Heather
May 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a classic as far as cookbooks go.. I just saw a new edition (pictured) last year. It's a must-have for every cook.
Erik
Dec 09, 2007 Erik rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cooks
I prefer the layout of the earlier edition of this book. The quick hollandaise is a great simple way of creating this sauce.
Lance
Mar 27, 2012 Lance rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This is one of the books I go to if I am looking for a new recipe or checking for an old recipe. Very Good.
Tim
Aug 13, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
I confess that I bought this to read rather than use. It's one of the must haves for a cookbook collector.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
This is not as good as the original cookbook--when they modernized it, they lost alot
Jessicafriedman
Jan 06, 2013 Jessicafriedman rated it it was amazing
A favorite, because if nothing else, the recipes are worth reading.
Brian Mcdaniel
Feb 18, 2008 Brian Mcdaniel rated it it was ok
Classic, but shifting culinary trends have not been kind...
Lynne
Aug 11, 2012 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A classic that every cook should own and use!
Andrea
Jun 28, 2007 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Another book I have had for years, and still use!
Peter Kliem
Feb 07, 2009 Peter Kliem added it
Shelves: cooking
1961 Edition
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 Cws added it
641.5 Cla
basithfx
basithfx marked it as to-read
Amy Beatman
Amy Beatman rated it really liked it
Jacquelyn Daniel
Jacquelyn Daniel marked it as to-read
Jani Whtty
Jani Whtty rated it it was amazing
Krishnakumar
Krishnakumar marked it as to-read
Mary Meyer
Mary Meyer rated it really liked it
  • James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • All Around the World Cookbook
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • The Splendid Table
Craig Claiborne was a restaurant critic, food writer and former food editor of the New York Times. He was the author of numerous cookbooks and an autobiography. Over the course of his career, he made many contributions to gastronomy and food writing in the United States.

More about Craig Claiborne...