Start by marking “Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  32,199 ratings  ·  2,891 reviews
Also Known As: Two Pearls of Wisdom, Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye, and Eon (All the same book just published with different publishers)

Swordplay, dragon magic--and a hero with a desperate secret

Twelve-year-old Eon has been in training for years. His intensive study of Dragon Magic,, based on East Asian astrology, involves two kinds of skills: sword-work and magical aptitude....more
Published December 26th 2008 by Viking Juvenile (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Eon, please sign up.

Jeremysepicreads yes it is an amazing high fantasy novel... you should read it

Wendy Darling
I hardly ever read straightforward fantasy, but every once in awhile a book comes along that blows right past all my usual objections to become a new favorite. As gently but strongly as a wisp of incense, Eon beckoned until I was completely in the thrall of its magic, and I hate to think how sad my life would be if didn't have this vividly imaginative novel in it.

For years, 16-year-old Eon has been training to be a Dragoneye apprentice, a coveted position in which the student serves as the condu...more
Vinaya
When I first started this book, I was like,

Photobucket

Then I read some more, and I became more like this:

Photobucket

Thankfully, before I went completely bald, the shit hit the fan, and it was THE END.

Photobucket

This book and I have a long and complicated history. About two years ago, a friend from the UK was visiting and she left behind a book called The Two Pearls of Wisdom. She told me I HAD to read it, and as I tend to do with most paperbacks, I shoved it in the black hole I call a bookcase and promptly forgot it existed.

Fa...more
Kat Kennedy
Well, I hope you're happy Tatiana, Penny and everyone else who convinced me to read this book. I hope you're REAL happy!

Happy Bug
They probably look something like this right now!

I just spent the last five hours reading this book and freaking the hell out. I swear the tension, anxiety and heart palpitations did not stop until the last page. Right up to the end I was clutching my chest like some kind of heart patient in desperate need of a quadruple bypass.

The big themes in this novel centre on sexuality,...more
Tatiana
Mar 11, 2011 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of hard fantasy and Asian mythologies
As seen on The Readventurer

When it comes to fantasy, I am a fan of the softer, girlier type, heavy on romance and relationships and lighter on mythology, magic and dragons. That's why it is such a surprise I liked this book so much, because Eon: Dragoneye Reborn is very mythology-oriented and prone to frequent info-dumping (especially in the beginning).

At first, the story is reminiscent of
Alanna: The First Adventure. Eon(a) is a 16-year old girl who pretends to be a 12-year old boy in order to...more
Flannery
May 02, 2011 Flannery rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chinese Folklore/Fantasy Lovahs
Recommended to Flannery by: Tatiana

Larger graph if you can't read it: here .

A Few More Points:

*If you want someone to seem like a villain, do NOT make them taste like a creamsicle when you kiss them. Vanilla and orange=AWESOME.

*How DARE you end a book at that point! (just kidding, Ms. Goodman. You hooked me for the next one)

*I hope that Chart is part of book two. When he says "Sluuuuut" to Irsa, I laughed out loud at the audiobook. (One high point of the audio version which, overall, left a lot to be desired)

The Holy Terror
Aaaaahhhh, this was good ... though not without faults, and I think anyone who reads Eon will know exactly why I deducted a star. You will figure out early on why Eon is struggling, and it'll drive you crazy until she figures it out. The fact that Eon takes forever to realize the "big secret" was not something that ruined my enjoyment completely, but it definitely dampened a story that could have been perfect.

I started this book hot off the tail of Seraphina, not even realizing until I started w...more
Emily May

4.5
This is the book I should have been reading instead of wasting my time on Grave Mercy. Why anyone would care at all about Ismae and her love life when they could spend time with a real warrior like Eon/Eona is a question I am sure I'll keep asking myself again and again. This book is really good fantasy that is steeped in a unique blend of Chinese and Japanese mythology, the world Alison Goodman portrays is vivid, colourful and highly imaginative. My only complaint is that I don't yet have b...more
Steph Sinclair

Power. Glory. Honor. Reliability. Trust. Strength. Are these traits simply attributed to our gender? Does our gender determine who we are as people or who we can become as a person? For centuries women have struggled to pry themselves from underneath man's suppressive boot to claim their equality. For centuries being a woman was thought to mean you were weak, unable to defend yourself, better off in the kitchens.

This is the world 16 year-old Eon(a) lives in. She lives in an Asian culture were w...more
Mags~CVAddikt~Your shock-wave whisper has sealed your fate
Slow start but amazing ... ohh yes ...

I mean, if you thought a girl with dragons was cool ...

You haven't read about EONA ...

Because first she was passing as a boy

And then she became

Controlling this

And right now, I'm downloading the sequel Eona

And if you are mexican ... let me tell you this book will remind you of

Catie
If you, like me, have always wished that Tamora Pierce and Anne McCaffrey would finally admit their deep, abiding love for one another; make it official with a short ceremony in Massachusetts; then decide to start a family by adopting a fierce Asian baby, then I think you will fall in love with this book.

This is the powerful story of Eon, a young candidate for apprentice Dragoneye. If he is selected, he will commune and share power with one of the twelve Dragons, which are energy based creatures...more
Priscilla
AMAZING! Alison Goodman creates a fully-realized world filled with dragons, magic, ancient customs, and political warfare. Our main character is Eon, a candidate to become apprentice dragoneye, an honour bestowed to only the worthiest of men. TWIST – Eon, is actually Eona, a 16 year old girl, who if she is found out, will be killed.

Initial thoughts:
1. The plot is amazing! Eon is faced with obstacle after obstacle. When you think it couldn't get worse, it does!
2. The backstory, and mythology is o...more
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Give this a 3 star after much thought. I enjoyed it, but my love of girls pretending to be boys cannot overcome Eona's cluelessness. I have to take away some demerits to encourage less stupidity in the future. I'm sure you understand.

I liked it and plan to read the sequel BUT I wanted Eon to be smarter. Seriously I figured out everything pretty much immediately and she was all like "AHHH I don't know & I don't want anyone to know I don't know" for like half the book. And I was like "DUDE I d...more
Michael
The success of the Harry Potter series with both children and adults has opened a lot of doors in the fantasy genre. Publishers have issued a plethora of a new series and stories intended to capture the imagination and passion of readers in a simliar way to the stories of the young boy wizard. While a lot of these new fantasy stories have imitated what J.K. Rowling did with the Harry Potter novels, very few of them have really set the imagination on fire with an new, fascinating fantasy universe...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]

Two and a half stars. It was okay, and I might get around to reading the second half. I should probably do so before giving an evaluation, as it appears it's more a duo than a stand-alone book.

I enjoyed the pace of the first 75 or 100 pages, which some critics might label "useless worldbuilding." I felt like it was building the world Eon lived in, from the Master's house to the city, showing the different types of adversity faced, and setting up an 'overcome major adversity' plot.

(view spoiler...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I have a feeling I will be telling my grandchildren long stories about my struggles with this book. Eon (both the book and the character) did not make it easy for me to like them, oh no. Instead, I constantly had to battle my desire to abandon them in favor of something easier to read, or a more likable heroine at the very least.

Sometimes, when a book is extremely popular and well-loved by everyone in the known universe and possibly beyond, I dig in my heels and simply refuse to read it...more
Lucy
Janina
This book turned out to be a nice surprise for me. I had already thought about giving it away unread (it had been collecting dust on my shelf for quite a while), but then decided to at least give it a try. And it turned out to be good! (I love it when that happens, but it’s also the kind of thing that makes me even more reluctant to clear out my shelves every now and then. Who knows, I could be throwing out a real gem!)

I simply loved the atmosphere and the setting in The Two Pearls of Wisdom: co...more
Kristi
This book was spectacular! I really enjoyed reading it, very addicting. The story takes place in a sort of Asian themed world. Although the world itself is purely created by the author, Goodman did mirror some of the past elements of Asian culture and society. Which I thought was a wonderful addition to the overall setting. Beautiful descriptions!

The plot while steady throughout the novel, seemed to fly by the last quarter or so! There was some predictability, and I was frustrated with Eon/a for...more
Callum
My contempt for young adult novels (or at least the bulk of what I've read) isn't a mystery. It's evident that this genre is being abused as the commonality of these works thrive off the fact that the majority of young adult readers are either oblivious or indifferent to the banality of young adult literature. I've been looking forward to reading Eon for a little while because I believed it to be a remedy to the depressive insipidness of young adult fiction. However, it suffered from the same fl...more
Krystle
Update (6/8/11): Re-read it and my thoughts are the same. Just awesome book with some of the most beautiful prose. That final 200 pages or so are crazy. You won't be able to put it down. Now I can't wait to read the sequel!

I haven’t picked up a book involving dragons for quite a while – years practically. And as soon as I saw this appear on the lists of upcoming books to be published I immediately marked it down on my to-read list. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn was a fantastic book. I loved it so much!

A...more
Lightreads
If I hadn’t been reading this book on a very expensive bit of technology, I would have hurled it against a wall. I believe my exact comment, upon reaching a particular moment of infamy towards the end was, and I quote, “what the fucking fuck was that fuckery?” I have all the feelings about this book. And so I share them. (Which is why you guys like me, don’t even try to lie).

Right, so, this is a fantasy about a girl posing as a boy in not!ancient China, and she impresses bonds with an ancient dr...more
Litchick (aka Navessa Allen)
I'll start with the good news...

This book is very well written. The landscapes are lush and exotic. The cities, streets, buildings and rooms are described in such easy, elegant detail that you just SEE them, without having to pause to build the images in your mind.

The characters were equally well formed. Goodman didn't flood us with too many people and those she did introduce were memorable and well cast. No one was one dimensional, everyone had depth, everyone seemed to draw an emotion from me...more
Keertana
Every so often the time will come when you will finally read that elusive novel that has been on your TBR-Shelf for what seems like forever. You know what novel I'm talking about - it's the one all your friends have been recommending to you, time and time again; it's the one the library never has whenever you stop by; it's the one you always forget to pick up from the bookstore; but, it's also the one you just know you're going to love. Needless to say, Eon has been on my shelves for at leas...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

The world knows our main protagonist as Eon, a twelve-year-old boy training hard to be the next Dragoneye apprentice. To be chosen by one of the twelve revered energy dragons of good fortune is a great honor; each year many boys vie for the position to serve as the conduit between the dragons and the mortal world. But there is more to Eon than meets the eye. In truth, Eon is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl masquerad...more
Brandi
I stayed up until 4am to finish this book. That's a big deal these days!! I'll give me until 2am if I'm really loving something, but I haven't let myself stay up to 4 in a long time.

Now that I've gotten rest from the story I don't really know how to describe it. I tried to tell a friend of mine on here about it and I'm certain I missed the mark. It's high fantasy, but not really that heavy, and even though it's very girl power in the end, I think that males would like this a lot too.

Eon
The stor...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
Creative storyline and a strong heroine. It's the first book in the series, so I felt some things were lacking, and there were some issues in the world building that bothered me; for the most part, this was an action-packed book that I enjoyed more than I expected to.

I remember reading the blurb, realizing that the protagonist was a cross-dressing female, and said to myself "No." I've got nothing against it, it is just not a genre of storytelling that interests me. my experience with this genre...more
AH

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn is the story of Eon(a), a 16 year old girl whose circumstances require her to masquerade as a boy. Eon is competing for the highly coveted position of Dragoneye apprentice. The Dragoneye acts as a human link to one of the twelve energy dragons. It is a position of power and the competition is fierce. Girls are not allowed to compete – if Eon is discovered, she will be put to death.

This book is nothing like the usual young adult fare. There are transgender characters and eun...more
Ricardo
4.5 / 5

Eón era un libro que ansiaba leer tras recibir varias recomendaciones por parte de lectores a los cuales yo les tengo mucha confianza, y cuyo "sello de aprobación" siempre ha resultado excelente para mí. Y ahora, tras leerlo, solo puedo decir que en definitiva es una lectura como nunca antes había leído. Llena de incertidumbre y emoción en un mundo completamente mágico y único.

El punto principal a acerca del universo donde se desarrolla la trama, es que este se encuentra regido por doce d...more
Crystal Starr Light
The day for the Rat Dragoneye apprentice to be chosen is approaching, and candidate, Eon, is nervous. Not only is he nervous about passing the tests and being selected despite his physical infirmity, but he is also afraid that his cover will be blown. Because Eon is actually Eona, a 16 year old girl, and women are forbidden from becoming Dragoneyes. Add a plot to unseat the current Emperor and Eon's life is about to get 10X more difficult.

After reading a particularly abrasive book (for those tha...more
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*2.5 Stars*

"No one can ever truly know what is in another man's heart."

Okay....it so doesn't feel right to give this such a low rating when I loved the beginning and really liked the end but....why push up a rating when I don't even know what to say?? I can't hide behind a three or four every time I have trouble deciding what to rate something. It's come to that time where I'm reading a wide array of books and different genres and the lines are starting to blur-I've had to start rating (not alw...more
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadows on the Moon
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
  • Star Crossed (Thief Errant, #1)
  • Vessel
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
  • Silver Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #1)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, #1)
  • Brightly Woven
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology which has sold into seventeen countries and been translated into ten languages. EON was short-listed for Victorian, NSW, and WA Premier’s Literary awards, and won the 2008 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novel. It was also listed as an American Library Association Best Young Adult Book (2010), a James Tiptree Jr. Ho...more
More about Alison Goodman...
Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2) Singing the Dogstar Blues Eon & Eona, a Duology Series Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) Killing the Rabbit

“I found power in accepting the truth of who I am. It may not be a truth that others can accept, but I cannot live any other way. How would it be to live a lie every minute of your life.” 280 likes
“There was a saying that a man's true character was revealed in defeat. I thought it was also revealed in victory.” 179 likes