Start by marking “Peace Child” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  8,322 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
A gripping, unforgettable missionary adventure. Don Richardson shares first-hand his hair-raising experiences among cannibals in the primitive jungles of New Guinea.
Published June 1st 1975 by Regal Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Child

Natalie Vellacott
Apr 29, 2016 Natalie Vellacott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missions
I received this recommendation via this blog post of top 10 missionary biographies which is definitely worth reading!

This was one of the best missionary biographies that I have read. It was also the most gruesome. The author paints a vivid picture of missionary work among the cannibalistic, headhunting Sawi tribe in Netherlands New Guinea (now West Papua, Indonesia.)

An urgent request for workers was made;

"You may be called upon to make the first advance i
Tim Headley
Feb 20, 2008 Tim Headley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if treachery is a culture's highest ideal, the Creator has planted within that culture a "key" to "unlock" such seemingly "closed" minds to at least consider the fact that the Creator actually may have visited this planet. We just have to find that "key" within each culture, so that people will at least listen and consider the "story" of Jesus. This is an amazing story. I first heard it first-hand, humbly told by Don Richardson to me and just 5 others, around 1975. I had no time in my sched ...more
Skylar Burris
Dec 22, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Skylar by: Jennifer Eppley
Melissa Jill
Apr 07, 2011 Melissa Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
What an amazing story! I started this book years ago but couldn't get past the first section - it was SO violent, shocking and sad. Picked it up again and pushed through and was greatly rewarded. I stand in awe of our amazing God. He's a loving genius who is unbelievably huge and creative. I'm so thankful that I will share Heaven with the Sawi someday!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
One of the major genres in my home growing up was missionary and martyr stories. This was one I read multiple times as a child, I loved the completely different culture. I'm pretty sure it is what stayed in the back of my mind in my undergrad years that led me to doing a research paper on the music if the Kaluli people of Papua New Guinea,
Elise
Oct 04, 2007 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago, perhaps not long after it came out. At the time I was very impressed with the way it beautifully conveyed how every culture has myths/legends/traditions that point to the story of redemption, restoration, and healing. Though I have since read or heard other similar stories, I still consider this book to be a valuable read.
Katie Hoiland
Apr 10, 2007 Katie Hoiland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story that demonstrates Gods creativity in creating diverse cultures; his self-disclosure and unique pursuit of this remote tribe in Papua New Guinea. The missionary in this book lived with the tribe, learned their worldview and discovered the key to explaining the gospel in a culturally relevant way.
Mike
Jul 22, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Some people are more like the angels than they are like the rest of us human beings! Such a man is Don Richardson and his wife, Carol.

In 1962 they accepted the call to be missionaries to a people who were living in what we would call the "stone age." Headhunters and cannibals, their short life spans were filled with fear, sickness, tribal warfare, and violent death.

Don and Carol lived among the Sawi tribe of what was then called "Netherlands New Guinea." It wasn't far from the area where Michae
John
Jan 14, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most books about missionaries that I've read start with the missionary: his call, his preparation, his arrival among people with an unfamiliar culture and language, his painstaking efforts.
In "Peace Child," as in "Lords of the Earth," Don Richardson starts with the people the missionary is trying to reach, in this case the Sawi people of what then was Netherlands New Guinea (now Papua Indonesia; Irian Jaya in the interim).
The missionary in this case is Richardson himself, along with his wife, C
Olivia
This was a lot different than I was anticipating. The first 50 pages are shown through the tribes POV, so it is a little dark and evil at the beginning, revealing those without Christ do not have hope. Once Don Richardson and his wife felt called to the tribe the story picked up a bit. Everything with the Peace Child was so amazing. Once Don Richardson was able to reveal Christ to them through their traditional idea of the Peace Child, salvation began among the people.

Some parts of the book are
Jeremy
Jul 24, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful missionary story, telling of the transformation of barbaric cultures into an unlikely culture with a Christian worldview. Richardson writes well, including action and even cliff-hangers at the ends of several chapters. Here is a post on missionary work and the transformation of culture, and here's a related one on redemptive analogies, appropriation, and supplanting. Here's an update on the Sawi people.
Ilona
Oct 23, 2007 Ilona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The argument goes like this(though it is told in a narrative story) in each culture God places keys, redemptive analogies, to aid in the communication of the Gospel. Analogies which are made evident are then appropriated by the missionary. For example Paul in Athens appropriated the unknown god to proclaim the true God.

In the Sawi people the Peace Child was a redemptive analogie Don and his wife used to communicate Christ. Hearts which admired Juda's betrayal more then Jesus' sacrifice were tran
Emily
Feb 17, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This missionary novel was different than other ones I've read of its kind. I really liked this book! I liked how it was written in almost a story form and it definitely kept my attention. I definitely recommend it!
Sabrina Pannell
Excellent read. The cultural aspects challenged me intellectually and expanded my worldview. I was also deeply moved by Richardson's example of incarnational missions. Lastly, the book was spiritually encouraging: I felt that God was truly glorified by this testimony to His sovereign grace among the Sawi people. My only critique would be that the story felt somewhat sensationalized at times, and lacked expression of realistic time passage and character development overall. However, I would highl ...more
Christiana Martin
I was hesitant to read cross-cultural missionary biographies after most of my experience with the concept of historical cross-cultural missions has included an unfortunate amount of Eurocentrism. I'm not sure if it's because this story takes place in the 1960's, the training these missionaries received before they left, or just the grace of God, but... this story is captivating and encouraging. Don Richardson and his wife endeavor to understand the individuals, culture, and language of the Sawi ...more
Jodi
Apr 27, 2016 Jodi rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that I was skeptical about this book - I thought it would be all preachy and a tad boring. Not so! It drew me in right away with a peek at the primitive culture New Guinea right away with the warlike lifestyle of the Sawi people still living in the Stone Age! I was amazed to read about a culture that was virtually untouched by the modern world until 50 years ago! The concept of "Fattening the Pig for the Feast" among "friends" was a rather shocking idea - gaining the trust of someone ...more
Linda
Dec 24, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Oh!” [Ari] exclaimed. “I understand now. You Tuans [Caucasian and other non-native individuals] never war with each other, so of course you don’t need a peace child”. (p. 171)

This quote (read by this reviewer on 12/24 no less) shows but one of the many sides of the Sawi and their neighboring tribes. On the one hand, they were savage, regularly participating in ruthless manipulation, murdering, beheading and cannibalism. On the other, there was a wisdom borne of their jungle existence
Callie
Feb 05, 2008 Callie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missions-stories
I read this book last year. I am fascinated in the lives of missionaries and in other cultures, but I'm usually put off by the often weak writing that is put out by Christian publishers. I remember reading this book though and finding it quite poetic in places and well written. The choices and the faith that brought this man and his family to live in such a remote area were inspiring to read about. I would like to read this one again.
Rebecca L. Snowe
This book was so moving and amazing. What a beautiful and inspiring story of hope, faith, love and peace! It covers the journey of young Christians Don Richardson and his wife Carol as they move to a remote part of New Guinea to bring the gospel to a head hunting cannibal tribe of indigenous people called the Sawi. After struggling for months trying to find a way to preach the gospel in a way they will understand God opens a way for the young couple in a ceremony of the Sawi called 'Peace Child' ...more
Catherine Scott
Dec 27, 2015 Catherine Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good/quick read. Caution though...it does involve tribes who are head hunters and cannibals. In reading stories of various missionaries I am amazed (in a good way) at how they risked their families lives (these tribes very well could have been fattening them all for the slaughter) and gave up so much of their lives not only to preach the Gospel to the hidden tribes but ALSO to help them jump from stone age to 20th century within a generation due to outsiders coming into their area who w ...more
Lessie
Aug 11, 2015 Lessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I almost hated this book after reading it. Everybody else loves it though. Must be me, right? There are some good things in it, but I have trouble getting beyond the author's writing style. I really disliked the long, boring exposition. BUT -- maybe I was expecting something different, and my expectations clouded my reading. Need to re-read. Never.
Asif Zamir
Jan 21, 2014 Asif Zamir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asif-zamir
Imagine entering a world where you are constantly and continuously in danger, with alligator infested waters and headhunters at every turn. Imagine giving your all to learn this culture and live among these cannibals and help them. At any moment your life could be taken from you but you have a heart for the people...

This book is not your run of the mill book on missionaries. Peace Child is about Don and Carol Richardson who go to be missionaries to a cannibal tribe. It touches on the fact that t
Havebooks Willread
A friend loaned me Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century by Don Richardson and I'm so very glad I read it. I feel a little bit like I'm the last one to read it as I've mentioned it to a couple people who immediately said "Oh yes, wasn't that great?" Even if I'm a little late to the party, I'm still glad to have read it.
Peace Child

Peace Child tells about the Sawi tribe living in New Guinea who were cannibalistic headhunters before they learned about
AmyNikita
God is amazing, and what the Richardson did was amazing. They risked their lives, and of course it's amazing and inspiring to see what God does for them and the Sawi.
I don't particularly like the way the book's written, but the actual incidents and events are amazing.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb and I read this together for school and it was really intersting. The traditions of the people were disgusting, however.
A great book for every Christian because it is one example of how to tell the Gospel of Jesus to a different people who have a different culture.
Karin
Dec 19, 2011 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely interesting. I was amused at someone else pointing out how many exclamation points there are. I hadn't really noticed. Yes. There are lots of them. The story itself is amazing Worth the time to read it.
jenn
Mar 26, 2007 jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my favorite missionary book. i love the idea that every culture has some story of redemption thus showing the human need not only for relationship with something greater but also for some kind of redemption.
Jarod
Mar 21, 2012 Jarod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading choice and a good example of how a sovereign God is able to put traces of the truths of His gospel in any culture, even in one untouched by civilization!
bridget.
Jul 13, 2007 bridget. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookcase
this is a phenominal true story. i love how this couple really takes the gospel to the culture and doesnt just try to change the culture.
Ji
Aug 28, 2010 Ji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book so much I've developed a sort of book trailer for it... ask me to do the trailer for you in person!
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Torches of Joy: International Adventures
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • These Strange Ashes
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
DON RICHARDSON, author of Secrets of the Koran, Lords of the Earth and Eternity in Their Hearts, has been studying the Muslim world for more than 30 years.

He and his wife, Carol, spent 15 years among the Sawi, a Stone Age tribe of Irian Jaya. Don designed an alphabet suited to the Sawi language, authored 19 primers, taught the tribesmen to read in their native tongue and translated the entire New
More about Don Richardson...