Start by marking “When Angels Fail” as Want to Read:
When Angels Fail

When Angels Fail

A collection of horror where disaster is painted in reds and blacks throughout the stories. Blood and sex blur the lines between victim and violator. In each, Hell takes its shapes in many different forms. These men shall witness the failing of angels.

Follow a priest as he lays into the bosom of temptation, a husband on the road to a breakdown, an artist cutting the canvas
Kindle Edition, Revised and Extended Edition, 111 pages
Published April 20th 2016 by self-published (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When Angels Fail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Angels Fail

Lily Author
May 02, 2014 Lily Author rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“How much longer can he hold onto the brush when it should be a blade in its place?”

A collection of short stories, all tackling various aspects of sin and horror, with a consistent theme of angels in various incarnations and often in the most brutal way. That's the deeeper meaning in When Angels Fail by Michael Benavidez. On the surface, the characters are ordinary people who present everything that allows for sympathy. Michael writes in a way that allows the reader to feel the priest's pain, ch
Jason Parent
Apr 24, 2014 Jason Parent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

When Angels Fail has moments of absolute brilliance. Benavidez can conjure up imagery that invokes the spirit of Poe and authors like Laird Barron (not dead). The pages of his series of short stories are filled with surreal, Dali-like artistry and often poetic verse. This guy has talent, but (and here's the but) his work could benefit from another edit. 5-star work is sometimes paired with stuff not up to snuff.

The theme of the short story collection is not masked by its title, with the
Sarah Brocious
This book most definitely kept my attention! It gave me the same kind of chills and "whoa" moments I got when first reading anything by Edgar Allen Poe! (in a modern and twisted way!)
Amazing job Mr. Benavidez!
Maria
Jul 27, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short horror stories competently written with lots of vivid & detailed images of blood, guts & gore!

Quentin Wallace
Apr 21, 2016 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
Okay, so Mr. Benavidez revised and reworked this one until it's basically an entirely different book. I will say it's still a solid four stars. Benavdiez has one of the most original writing styles of any indy author I've read. It's more of a literary style than most.

The stories are lyrical, filled with dark imagery and haunting visions. I see a recurring theme in the stories as it relates to religion, but I assume that's where the "Angels" come in. I'm not sure of Benavidez's religious backgrou
Michael Benavidez
Apr 20, 2016 Michael Benavidez added it  ·  (Review from the author)
NOTICE Last and final Update!

WHEN ANGELS FAIL IS NOW LIVE ON AMAZON!!! However for those that reviewed the original 4 story release, the below still remains true. I feel like I owe you the real book after wading through something that I went in knowing nothing. :)

So I shall be republishing this after all. I'll make a blog update in a bit, however just wanted to let this be said.
Those who have read and reviewed the original book, if you're interested in reading the updated version before releas
★Moonrise Books
The characters in this book of short stories are impacted in various ways by a supernatural undercurrent weaving its way through each macabre tale. The author's use of imagery adds depth and a striking intensity to each story, drawing the reader in, and taking them on a journey that is both chilling and profound.

The stories felt a bit disjointed, but they weren't without merit. Out of the four stories, I particularly enjoyed Andromeda, where a ship's captain, lost at sea, begins to unravel as he
Dan
Apr 29, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was one of the "sickest" books I have ever read. If you love gore, you will devour this. Its not my cup of blood, but those who delight in the Macabre will dance on their graves in glee over this.
Alissa
Jun 13, 2014 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Angels Fail is a collection of short stories that lives up to its title. Each story is gruesome, marked with death and horror in one form or another. These stories aren't simply gore and shallow scares even with their emphasis on horror.
Benavidez provides certain insights into human nature which dwells on the dark side of the mind. Those insights make you pause, consider the meaning and serves to pull you farther into the story. You become invested in the characters laid out even for the s
Stuart Keane
Apr 11, 2014 Stuart Keane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-horror
Horror short stories can either be badly done or excellent crafted. Sometimes, in a collection, you find a bit of both. In When Angels Fail: Tales of the Macabre...all of the stories are perfectly crafted.

From the outset, the author is clearly inspired by Clive Barker and Stephen King and it shows (in a good way). By proxy there is an element of HP Lovecraft in these disturbing, horrifying words which makes for some tense, graphic horror. Michael Benavidez knows how to create a disturbing, tensi
Heather Blair
Very dark and dense. There are vivid strokes of potential in here, particularly with language. I loved the writer's use of imagery, especially in parts of the surrealistic bloodbath of a short, Hellbound(my fave).

However, there are a few technical things e.g., short story collections need a Table of Contents! Preferably one that links to each story. There are also far too many fragmented sentences, and the sheer density of paragraph structure can make this tiring to read, which is a shame becaus
RachelvlehcaR
Dec 12, 2014 RachelvlehcaR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short stories. I found each one very different from the other and a great read. My favorite is HellBound followed by The Father and the Harlot.

The Father and the Harlot: It always starts with a priest and a prostitute, doesn't it. Gory but much needed.

The Chase: What a chase indeed. I wouldn't want to meet Sammael. :'(

HellBound: Females have a very strong power over men. Our bodies are our best tools and weapons to use when we want something. It is sure powerful to be a females. How very
Justin
May 04, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard and read a lot of great things about this book so I thought I'd check it out. Turn's out the author has quite the sick imagination and I went for the gruesome ride and it was well worth it. All the stories had a sinister feel to them with really no character to be a fan of and I don't mean that as a bad thing I mean each story had a creepy character that left you thinking, wow this guy is something else! The author's upside was also is downside at times, description. He was quite vivid ...more
Rachael
Apr 15, 2014 Rachael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review. (Thanks so much Michael!)

This collection of short stories is both creepy and tense in equal measure. I enjoyed each of the stories though each one is very different from the others.

There are four stories in all, the second of which is more Fantasy-based and reads like a snippet from an epic tale hiding amongst the truly shiver-worthy Horror-based tones of the other three.

The characters are skilfully brought to life throu
Laura W
Jul 31, 2014 Laura W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author Michael Benazvidez for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

To say the least, this book was very dark and almost slightly depressing. However, it was very descriptive and left no stone unturned. This book is a collection of mini stories basically about the dark side of human nature.

I absolutely loved the last mini story. It definitely has potential to become a full-size book!

I loved the first two stories as well but I was a bit confused while rea
Ember Shane
Jun 20, 2014 Ember Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Angels Fail is a collection of 4 short horror stories, all written with varying amounts of gore/brutality to each. Andromeda, the last story of the collection, is my favorite. I thought Benavidez did a great job with delivering an almost poetic type of prose dipped in creepiness. Written from the POV as the captain and a crewmate of a ship lost at sea via journal entries, this story stood out to me as a job well done in the author's ability to write horror on both ends of the spectrum. The ...more
Jason Crawford
This collection of short stories shows a lot of promise.

What I liked: the subject matter was interesting and the general mood generally very creepy. The stories are varied and don't pull punches, which I appreciate.

What I didn't like: the first story has a LOT of sentence fragments. I almost put the book down at that point (but I'm glad I roughed it out). There are grammatical errors and spell-check mistakes scattered throughout the whole thing - another round of editing is needed.

Overall - 3.0
meghann
Jan 18, 2015 meghann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
This collection of short stories was full of the stuff of nightmares. I found myself repeatedly grossed out, but in a good way. I do wish a couple of the stories were longer. Hellbound was the longest and also my favorite of the four. That one would make a hell of a movie. I would recommend this for any fan of horror.

*I was given this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*
Anna M. Watson
About my review: When I say "scene", I mean each section where there was a break.

A bit of general stuff: I don't normally (ever) read this genre, so keep this in mind. I'm very pro-dialogue and action rather than internal thought, so take what I say with a grain of salt (as an author should always do anyway) because this is very description- and internal thought-heavy. This is fine. It's just not what I'm used to. Below begins the reviews of specific scenes.

The Father and the Harlot

Scene 1

The f
M.S. Nightingale
Jun 28, 2014 M.S. Nightingale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short tales of thought-provoking horror are bone-chilling, and dripping with coagulating blood, goo and abused flesh. Not for the faint of heart.
Jason  morton
Apr 07, 2016 Jason morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written I've enjoyed this book, had fun it was written so beautifully that I had to highlight passages of highly recommend for all fans modern horror
Oak Anderson
Oak Anderson rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Shari-amor
Shari-amor rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Vanessa Chattman
Vanessa Chattman marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
C.G.
C.G. marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Shaun Meehan
Shaun Meehan marked it as to-read
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Savannah
Savannah is currently reading it
Marc Good
Marc Good is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Kalyn Larva
Kalyn Larva is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
S.R. McKade
S.R. McKade marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Tiger Gray
Tiger Gray marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Monica Pierce
Monica Pierce marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Jake Painter
Jake Painter marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Donald Armfield
Donald Armfield marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Christine Gabriel
Christine Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Violet Vaughn
Violet Vaughn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jacqueline Smith
Jacqueline Smith marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Machelle Mcdaniel
Machelle Mcdaniel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Myra Benavidez
Myra Benavidez marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Free Books, .99 &...: When Angels Fail 6 13 Nov 02, 2014 12:51PM
Fringe Fiction: When Angels Fail 19 36 Jun 27, 2014 05:59PM
.A native of the Rio Grande Valley, Michael currently resides in Minnesota where he graduated from high school. He currently works a day job while committing to writing tales that will inspire horror and wonder. He is currently working on a book of short stories titled, When Angels Fail with many other titles to come, including work in other anthologies

More about Michael Benavidez...