A Theology as Big as the City: The Case for Natural Law

A Theology as Big as the City: The Case for Natural Law

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  7 reviews
How does God see the city? What does Scripture have to say about urban ministry? These are the questions Ray Bakke has systematically addressed, beginning with Genesis and continuing through to Revelation. Here is a biblical theology that will constantly surprise and challenge as you get a glimpse of how big God's view of the city really is.
Published July 7th 1997 by IVP Academic (first published June 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Theology as Big as the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Theology as Big as the City

J.R. Woodward
Bakke contends that if we are going to be faithful to the God of Scripture we must recognize the urbanization of the world and read the Bible with urban eyes so that we might discover a theology that meets the holistic needs of the city.

Bakke gives us a tour from Genesis to Revelation with urban eyes. Bakke starts with the Torah where we see Abraham praying for the city. He uses Moses and his mother to describe urban leadership. He examines the writings and the prophets from an urban perspectiv...more
Holly
1. "If you can't tell me where the church has been, you have no business telling me where it ought to go."
2. "God is not defiled by contact with the physical, even contaminated earth."
3. "Moses, Daniel, Esther, Nehemiah...None of them were homeschooled."
4. "To invent incidents which no one believes, in order to enforce lessons which no one wishes to learn, seems teh height of absurdity."
5. "Revival without discipleship is a dangerous thing."
6. "A spirituality without joyful parties won't survive...more
Danny
A challenging text for anyone who feels called to the cities of the world. A must read for church planters.
Dustin
Though peppered with liberal leaning and liberal associations, this book nonetheless has some good things to say. It examines all the passages in the Bible that have to do with the city. It's very helpful in regard to wanting to know whether urban ministry pops up in a certain section of the Bible.
CandleLight
This is a fantastic book. Through reading this book, I rethought many of my former views and conceptions of the city and its many problems. This book explains well how that our cities are meant to be redeemed not forgotten.
Chris
Interesting book with many provocative thoughts on the city. Overall I think it is very good but he overstates his case often.
Charlie
Great resource for those considering inner-city ministry.
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Timon
Timon added it
Jul 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jihee Hyung
Jihee Hyung marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Jun 17, 2014
Matthew Woll
Matthew Woll marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Ken Pierpont
Ken Pierpont is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2014
Traci Schultz
Traci Schultz marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Urban Christian Street Signs: A New Direction in Urban Ministry A Theology as Big as the City The Urban Christian The Urban Christian