Cookie's Week

Cookie's Week

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  87 reviews
"Short, simple sentences in large print tell the story of a week in the life of Cookie, a black-and-white cat . . . de Paola has deftly captured Cookie's personality in his large, appealing watercolor illustrations that feature bright pastel splotches. . . ."--School Library Journal. Full-color illustrations.
Published (first published 1988)

Robert
This is a favorite children's book of mine. As a cat lover, this is right up my alley. I have fond memories of reading this with my daughter.

But this morning as I was rousing my boy from bed, this book was nearby. We decided to start the day off right with a story.

Ah, cute Cookie. He gets into so much trouble as only a kitty can. Each day Cookie's adventures lead to issues. Of course, when it comes to Sunday we are asked to predict what Cookie will be up to. Rest? Hardly.

Tomie dePaola illustrat...more
Samantha Weatherford
Cookies week is good for read alouds because it is easy for the children to follow the text. The kids enjoy the text and pictures because Cookie gets into alot of trouble and the kids think it is funny. Alot of the text repeats making it easier for the children to identify new words in order to start reading independantly. It can also be used for sequencing because Cookie does something different on each page and you can ask the children what happened to gauge comprehension. K-1st grade.
jacky
Cute little tale of a kitten getting into trouble. I liked this because most of the naughty things Cookie does could also be done by a child. Educational in the sense that it reviews the days of the week, places in a house, and relationship words ( like "in"). But really this book is more for fun to chuckle at Cookie's misadventures. Illustrations seemed okay from where we were at story time.
Lita
This book is about a naughty kitty's week. This book can be used to teach students about sequencing by having the students remember the events of Cookie's week and put them in order. This book also reinforces the days of the week.
Kathryn Joyce
Day by day description of the activities the cat does in a week. Cute and silly. Would be nice to teach remembering as well as sequencing. Easier read with familiar words used throughout. This would be a nice guided reading book.
Nicole
Good to use for K-1 for repetition. The word “everywhere” is repeated throughout the story. The book also talks about the days of the week, so you could incorporate that learning objective into this read aloud as well.
Deborah Harris
Cookie is an active kitty, who has chaotic week. Each day Cookie finds a new place to explore and also to make a mess. This book is great for predicting what might happen next or even talk about cause and effect.
Joy
My son and I love cat books and this is one of his favorites. Cookie the kitty gets into mischief all week long. Simple text and soft, pretty illustrations make this short book a delight to reread.
Sydney
I use this to help with sequential order. Studndets just write what they think and it could be all out of order. Reading Cookie's Week helps them understand how to put their story in order.
Melanie
Every time I read this story to my kids, they laugh right out loud. It may be because they relate so well with the trouble this cat gets in to each day of the week.
Bree Bosse
This is an easy to read book for beginning readers- it is about a cat who is full of mischief and it goes through her week and all of the crazy things she does.
Sharon
I've been trying to get the boys to read this one for months. I used to use it for work frequently. Tommy finally selected it to read when Sara was visiting.
Tommy
Michelle Carter
Great little book to introduce cause and effect and days of the week.
Also shows all the mischief that one little kitty cat can get into.
Vivian
I held up the book as I introduced it as the next story in our "Days of the Week" story time. I said, "This story is about Cookie's week. Is cookie an elephant?" No! "Is cookie a dog?" No!

I kept naming animals until someone in the crowd said, "It's a cat!" Then I looked at the cover and said, "You're right!"

I proceeded to read what Cookie did on Monday, Tuesday, etc. When the story was over I invited the children to all stand up with me and then we pantomimed cleaning up all of Cookie's messes....more
Jeanette Rakestraw
This wonderful delightful book teaches children the responsivilities of having a pet. It teaches responsibility. The mischievious cat makes the story funny and leaves the cildren wondering what will happen next. Each day, the cat gets into someother type of trouble. This teaches them the math skills associated wit sequencing. The story line is simple and easy to follow just by looking at the illustrations. If a 4yr. old kept a "Good Reads" journal, this would probsbly be mines number one choice!...more
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
Loved this book that guides students through the days if the week about a cat and his very exciting week.
Mckinley
Something happens every day of the week for Cookie the cat, what will the next day bring? Nice for young children.
Judy
good book to learn days of the week while the kitty gets into mischeif
Shaquita
This book is about a cat named Cookie. As the week progesses, this little, mischievous kitten would get into everything. The illustration in this book were very vibrant and colorful. This is an excellent book for teaching the days of the week; I could also use this book as a guide for helping children understand the importance of the calender and having a schedule.

Learning Experience: After reading the book, we will discuss the importance of having a schedule and following daily routines. Then e...more
Todd Glaeser
I have a black and white kitten, so I've had weeks like this.
T.L. Wood
I love this book! This is one of my daughter’s favorite stories when she was young and now has become her young daughter’s favorite story now. It is about a very precocious little kitty named Cookie who seems to get into lots of trouble every single day doing different naughty things around the house. On Sunday, perhaps Cookie will rest… but it’s highly unlikely. It’s a very cute story and highly recommended for anyone who loves cats.
Amber Lynch
In this book by Cindy Ward, Cookie the cat gets into mischief on each day of the week. Perhaps, he will rest on Sunday but the author leaves us guessing.

The students could make their own Day of the Week booklet and let us know what they do each day of the week.This book would allow students to practice their writing skills with capitals, sentence structure and ending marks.
Loki (of Smartassgard)
Cookie is a curious and energetic cat who gets into trouble every day of the week. Really helpful with teaching the days of the week for little ones, what day is today and what did cookie do?

My youngest loved it so much that when his Aunt got a kitten, he insisted we buy the book for her. She ended up naming the cat Cookie and the silly fur ball is constantly in trouble.
Robin (jason&robin)
We got this book from a family friend. From the moment we started reading it, my children were laughing and it didn't stop till the end. They ask for it every day and always giggle and tell me which day it their favorite. This book helps with days of the week and follows a repetitive format to help kids learn to read. Such a cute children's book.
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2010 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, their parents, storytime librarians
This has been a favorite of mine to share with kids and families for a l-o-n-g time. It's a simple, predictable, rhythmically patterned story, but one with lots of charm, humor and a touch of surprise. It's a great one to share with preschoolers of all ages. The illustrations by Tomie dePaola are darling. The more I share this one, the more I love it!
Lindsay
Join Cookie the cat on her path of destruction through the days of the week. Nice simple illustrations from Mr. dePaola.
Shanshad Whelan
One of the first books I'm reading to my son. The words per page are minimal and I can see that this will be a wonderful book to read to him as he starts to understand what I'm reading. It also exemplifies the antics of cats in a way that he'll understand very well given that we have four of them!
Renee
Cookie is a curious cat who gets into everything! The book goes through the days of the week and tells what mess Cookie gets into.

"On Monday, Cookie fell into the toilet."

"There was water everywhere!."

Small book, a BIG BOOK format would be great for storytime.
Lindsay
This is a simple story that features the days of the week and a misbehaving kitty cat. I read the Spanish version for a cat-themed program for both Spanish and bilingual story times. There's nothing wrong with the story, but I have better cat stories for story time.
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Have You Seen My Cat?
  • Clap Your Hands
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • Whose Mouse Are You?
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • The Alphabet Tree
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • Tumble Bumble
  • This Little Chick
  • Thumpy Feet
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • The Salamander Room
  • Froggy Goes to School
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
Caspar's Week.