Start by marking “The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2)

The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The year is AD 81, and the ruthless Roman governor Agricola is intent on capturing the last unconquered territory in Britain: Alba, Scotland. Rhiann, an Alban priestess and princess, submits to a marriage of political necessity to Eremon, an exiled Irish prince. Out of duty grows a powerful and desperate love that will bind them together through conflict and betrayal. As R ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Overlook Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Dawn Stag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dawn Stag

Brittany
Having finished the second book in the Dalriada trilogy, I find myself confused. Not because the novel left anything up in the air. Not because I did not see how there would be a further book (which I am eagerly looking forward to getting my hands on). But how is it that I enjoy this novel so much?
Often when I choose a book, it is because of a strong heroine who is both physically strong and uniquely clever. A protagonist who not only helps plan battles, but takes part in them as well. A novel w
Mary
I'm really getting sick of the whole timid girl, mean wife, caring man love-triangle thing in which a sort of emotional adultery occurs and the wife just gets brushed aside. The women in the two Jules Watson books I've read are incapable of pushing through their barriers without the help of the men in their lives. I find this....boring.
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
there are simply no words to express how much this book is amazing. I'm usually a really really fast reader but when a book takes me a while to complete, its because im going to slowly to savour all that is in it.
This book was definitely one of those books where I needed frequent breaks because my emotions where everywhere! at a point I was filled with fear, then anger, the love and then sadness/grief and shock so strong that I cried!!!
It was simply marvelous and that little bit towards the en
Elena
Die keltische Prinzessin Rihann und der irische Prinz Eremon haben endlich zueinander gefunden und sich ihre Liebe gestanden. Die ersten Stämme haben sich mit Eremon nun gegen Agricola verbündet und führen erfolgreiche Schläge gegen die Römer, doch dies kann nur eine kurze Atempause sein. Denn Agricola ist mehr denn je entschlossen Alba zu erobern, daran ändern auch ein paar für ihm verlustreiche Überfälle nichts. Auch die anderen alten Feinde sind noch nicht geschlagen und sinnen auf Rache. All ...more
Abby
After a while this book just seemed to drag on and on. Same characters, same motivations, with only a slight escalation in the plot and an even bigger sense of doom. I actually skipped over the big event at the end. I already knew the outcome, so reading those chapters is akin to watching Titanic and reading the Silmarillion while rooting for the boat and elves. After that it's just a dragged out wrap up with a tie to the next book thrown in. The revelations for the characters are not earth-shat ...more
Donia
The second book of Watson's trilogy is, amazingly, better than the first. Here, the Roman invasion is unstoppable and Rhiann and Eremon must face the coming war, each having important roles to play.

Watson's descriptions of Alba and the invading Roman army are wonderful. Her fluid writing brings her well-researched details to life in a lovely way and is a real pleasure to read.

I've so enjoyed reading about the travails of the Alban peoples during this time. Some of Rhiann's decisions drove me i
Hannah Whitaker
Perfect way to tie up the story of our two characters. Their love found in this book was artistically orchestrated, and the time that she describes in this book is well painted. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down.
Good job Jules Watson.
An
Mar 23, 2011 An rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I gave this one three stars, because I can't give it three and a half.

I liked the first book better, this one was a bit slow for my taste at certain points. Nevertheless, there were some parts where I couldn't put it down as well. Another positive thing about The Dawn Stag is that it has a HUGE ending. The grande finale takes up a whole lot of pages, which makes you dead curious to find out how it's going to end. And best of all, it's a satisfying ending, too.

I've just started Song of the Nort
Melissa
I'm torn between giving this book 3 or 4 stars! I really liked The White Mare in that the relationship between Eremon and Rhiann had so much possibility! I was sure that The Dawn Stag would have that relationship take center stage, while the rich historical details completed the story. Unfortunately, I found the book a little lacking in the relationship department. There were parts that I loved (The story line with Malcheon), but I just wanted more. It is true, however, that I may have been expe ...more
Shelley
Oh my goodness, I was so excited about this book since I couldn't put down the first of the series, The White Mare. However, the author did not convince me of the undieing love between the lead characters, which is desperately needed to get you through all the battles and war strategy pages. There were so many details left out, too many moments missed between the couple. It needed more good, intimate moments in order for it to tear my heart out in the bad times. Others were profoundly moved by t ...more
Maudie
I purchased this book in 2008 and didn't get around to it until this year. Realizing when I started my read that I was on the second book of a series and, briefly, wondered if I should put it aside until I had read the first book...but, it was snowing outside and I had nothing left on my nightstand.

I appreciate that the author, Jules Watson, realized there would be readers such as I and paid careful attention to detail...at the end of the book I found there were no gaping holes in a story that
Nadine Jones
Jan 03, 2010 Nadine Jones marked it as may-or-may-not-finish
Shelves: fantasy-romance
I just have to table this one - I'm out of renewals at the library and I have many other books I'm more interested in reading right now.

I have fond memories of the first book in this trilogy, so I had high expectations for this volume. Sadly, this book drags. Halfway through, I couldn't take it any more, and I set it aside to read some other books I have from the library right now. Hopefully I can get back to this one. I just don't care about the characters this time around, I don't understand t
Anita Baião
It's rare that I don't like books endings, but I am giving this one 3 stars because of it.

Whereas I had an enjoyable reading with the White Mare, I found myself skimming some chapters, as the ideas repeat many times.

The ending is just sad. I could stand an assumed sad end, but I felt really angry at the author for giving us a sad ending disguised as epiphany. All that suffering, all the losses were for nothing

I am very disappointed, but I am still going to read the third book and see if I can ha
Rory
Nov 10, 2008 Rory rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Fiction
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to Julie Watson writing more heroine centric novels. She does a good job of blending true human emotion with historical fiction - in this case, a mother goddess religious based society. Both entertaining and truly touching tale. I advise reading the first of the series White Mare before reading this one. You will be more aware of the deeper struggles that she explores in her characters if you read them in order.
Claddagh1111
I enjoyed this second in the series almost as much as the first ..... a little more magic in this one, I think, and a little more sex but I guess the sex was part of the journey. Unlike some books, the sex was part of the story not the whole story. The love that developed between the two main characters and their love for Alba and the fulfilment of the prophetic dreams and visions were what made the book so enjoyable and enthralling.
Ashley
I really enjoyed this book. The first book was all of the build up around the roman invasion and their relationship... but this book was more about the journey once they got there. I love Eremon and Rhiann's relationship and that was the glue that kept me reading and reading, but at times the story dragged a bit. I'm not as fond of books that break up the POV's to also include the antagonist's view.
Míami
While, as with the first book it had perhaps more romantic cliches and esotherism than I would've liked, I found this a mostly enjoyable read with a good pace. You get quite attached to the characters even though they are a bit too emotionally charged at time, and I especially fell in love with the author's brilliant depiction of Alba, Roman-type Scotland.
Maggie White
I thought this was even better than the first in the trilogy which I loved. This continues the story of Rhiann and Eremon and their fight for Alba against the Romans. The story is well researched and the historical facts made intersting and accessable through the brilliance of Jules watson's imagination and storytelling abilities. recommend it highly.
Eh. I enjoyed the first book (The White Mare), but probably not enough to go on to this second installment except that I had plenty of time to read and was too queasy (pregnancy) to do much else. This one seemed to rely more on fantasy and less on history to push along the story, and some of the characters and plot lines simply became tiresome.
Jessica
Nov 01, 2012 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical fiction lovers
Once again, a trilogy had me so emotionally attached to the characters, that I could not wait to begin the next installment. While the Dawn Stag was slower than its predecessor, the emotion was deeper. I was less satisfied with the ending than I had hoped, but if so, mainly due to the fact that I didnt want to let Rhiann and Eremon go...
Carla Nayland
Sharon
The Celtic lore continues in this second book. Rhiann, the Scottish priestess, and Eremon, the Irish prince, grow in love that started out of duty. Rome's army, under Agricola, is formidable and is advancing on their homeland. The epic battle that ensues changes everything.
Ellise
This book is amazing! Completly brilliant all the way through!! I didn't realise how much I had fallen in love with the characters until the last few chapters when I was uncontrollably sobbing with both happyness and sadness!! Thank you Jules Watson!
Jami
This installment of the trilogy dragged on. Also the predictability of the first book gets worse in the second book. I just couldn't get excited about it. I am only reading the next one because I got it at the same time from the library.
Karen
I enjoyed the first one a bit more as she left threads to carry the story forward to the second book. I'm wondering where the third one will take the reader. I will probably check it out to find out.
Elaine
An excellent continuation of p1. the characters and plot are carried forward apace, in atruly page turning way! A fabulous new author, who will become a firm favourite with me.
Sharnie
Perhaps I was just reading this at a bad time, but I felt that we already covered all the issues of our main characters' relationships and didn't need to rehash that.
Sharon
Great book, think I enjoyed it more than the first in the series.

Very loverly ending, so sweet and gentle.

Kerry
Wonderful book I highly recommend this series of books. I have thoroughly enjoyed them and can't wait to read more from this author.
Mel
Less romance but the fiction wasn't captivating either. All the priestess/druid stuff got repetitive and boring.
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)
  • The Light Bearer
  • The Well of Shades (The Bridei Chronicles, #3)
  • The Burning Time
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Daughters of Fire
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Circle of Stones (Circle, #1)
  • The Winter Mantle
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • The Dark Viscount
  • Wormwood (Wormwood #1)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • The Grey Horse
  • Morrigan's Brood (Morrigan's Brood, #1)
  • Brigid of Kildare
Jules Watson was born in Australia to English parents. She came to fiction via archaeology and public relations, working most recently as a freelance writer in England. She and her Scottish husband divide their time between the United Kingdom and Australia.
More about Jules Watson...

Dalriada Trilogy (3 books)
  • The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1)
  • Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3)
The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1) The Swan Maiden Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3) The Raven Queen The Boar Stone: Book Three of the Dalriada Trilogy