Start by marking “Мелкие боги (Плоский мир, #13)” as Want to Read:
Мелкие боги (Плоский мир, #13)

Мелкие боги (Discworld #13)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  80,375 Ratings  ·  1,944 Reviews
Эта история произошла давным давно, когда по пустыне еще бродили горящие кусты и разговаривали со случайными прохожими (человек, который имеет привычку гулять по пустыне, ничуточки не удивится, если с ним вдруг заговорит ящерица, булыжник, а тем более куст).
Именно тогда церковь Великого Бога Ома ждала пришествия очередного пророка, который вот-вот должен был явиться, поско
Published 2006 by Эксмо (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Мелкие боги, please sign up.

Becci Any of the Discworld novels can be read individually (does anyone else find that amazing?), though with some, it's easier to read them in order as the…moreAny of the Discworld novels can be read individually (does anyone else find that amazing?), though with some, it's easier to read them in order as the world does develop along the series.
Small Gods however has little or no ties (bar a few cameos/references that you'll pick up later) to the rest of the series, so it is perfectly fine to read this one on it's own... The same can be said for Pyramids. (less)
PaulESchilling Enlightened might be a strong word for it, but it is my favorite of his books. The interaction between Vorbis' relentless logic and Burtha's innocent…moreEnlightened might be a strong word for it, but it is my favorite of his books. The interaction between Vorbis' relentless logic and Burtha's innocent yet infinite memory made for one of the more interesting relationships between a villain and a hero. Most religious fanatics are too overtaken by emotionalism for me to have any sort of connection with them as a character. Both Vorbis and Burtha are taking religion seriously, but applying very different natures to the same religious text.(less)

Chris
This was the first Pratchett book I read, and I'm glad of it. While it has the humor and satire that is inherent in all of the Discworld books, it also has something else - something to say. It was evident, even from the first time I read this book, that Pratchett had put some real heavy thinking into it.

This book is, as the title suggests, about gods. Where do they come from? Where do they go? What keeps them moving? Ordinarily, gods don't like this sort of question. People who think are not wh
Наталия Янева
„– МОЖЕ БИ СИ ЧУВАЛ ИЗРАЗА, ЧЕ АДЪТ – ТОВА СА ДРУГИТЕ ХОРА?
– Да, да, разбира се.
Смърт кимна.
– С ВРЕМЕТО – рече той – ЩЕ РАЗБЕРЕШ, ЧЕ НЕ Е ПРАВИЛЕН.“

Кара те да се замисляш за твърде много неща. И извън религията. На толкова места се удивлявах „Това все едно е моя мисъл, но е написано стотици пъти по-добре, отколкото аз бих го казала“.
Книгата е великолепна метафора на религията. Всички боговете са малки, докато не повярваш в тях. Докато не им позволиш ти самият да пораснат. Бог не е някакво смътн
Lyn
May 16, 2017 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Pratchett’s best Discworld novels.

Pratchett delivers a brilliant parody of religion in this early (the 13th) standalone. In the land of Omnia, the great god Om is worshiped and all who don’t are subject to the Quisition – a satire of the political/theological Inquisition. His high priest Vorbis controls all with fear of holy retribution.

But is it Om or his religion that controls?

The great god Om has a problem. Historically taking the shape of animals like bulls or majestic predators, he f
Melki
Mar 08, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to.

What good is being a god when you're stuck in the body of a lowly tortoise, and your only follower is an uneducated melon-hoer?

Yep, it sucks to be Om.

Now, imagine poor Brutha's disappointment. One day he's quietly minding his melons, the next he's on some wild adventure with a smart ass tortoise who insists he's a god, even though THIS god is NOTHING like the prophets said he would be! For one thing, he doesn't have horns; for ano
Ivan
May 11, 2014 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second read and I like it even more.

This extremely cleaver religious satire is one of the top Pratchett's work as organized religion becomes target of his wit and cynicism.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Nov 22, 2014 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-fantasy
4.5
'If a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out all right.'
Small Gods is the darkest book in this series so far. It is also ridiculously witty and funny if that makes any sense. It should for Terry Pratchett's fans.
He always pokes fun at one thing or another. I think by the end of the series there won't be anything left in this world to be laughed at. The main target of
Vagner Stefanello
Apr 09, 2015 Vagner Stefanello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Sempre ouvia as pessoas falando muito bem da série Discworld, do renomado autor Terry Pratchett, e graças à editora Bertrand finalmente tive a chance de desbravar um livro dessa série (obrigado por cederem um exemplar de Pequenos Deuses). Como vocês devem ter visto por aí, Terry Pratchett faleceu recentemente, mais precisamente no dia 12 de março de 2015, o que foi um baque para todos os fãs de fantasia que admiravam o autor. Como forma de homenageá-l
Jokoloyo
Sep 24, 2011 Jokoloyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some single/non-series in Discworld novels, that not included in Watch, Rincewind, or other sub-series in Discworld. In my opinion Small Gods is the BEST single Discworld novel. With single novel, the character growth aspect is more significant than the series.

The main premise of this novel is the relationships between gods, believers, and organized religion. Oh yeah, with that kind of premise, you can find some philosophical witty and wise words here and there on novel.

My favourite as
Alfred Haplo
Nov 27, 2016 Alfred Haplo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Where does it begin? A simple question with complex answers, and they are all correct. Everything starts somewhere.

For the monk, Lu Tze, History began before his time and his task was to preserve it, more or less. For the God, Om, power began with a shepherd but real power had to be rebuilt from ground up… very closely from the ground. And for Brutha, the illiterate novice with the unquestioning belief? Questions began the day a tortoise appeared in the melon patch he was hoeing, but answers on
Milda Page Runner
Dec 27, 2016 Milda Page Runner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milda by: Ivan

'Intellectually amused emotionally detached' best describes my relationship with T.Pratchett.

This book made me realise that despite my love for humour, humour by itself is not enough – I need an engaging story and characters I could care for as well. Unfortunately this story didn’t hook me in and I couldn’t relate to any of the characters. Whenever I left the book I had no urge to come back to it.

Humour on the other hand is brilliant! Clever witty cynical ironic – you name it. What it does to re
Christian
Mar 19, 2008 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
Hands-down my favorite DiscWorld novel.

From the perfectly twisted and filigreed mind of Terry Pratchett we have a book that addresses why religion starts stupid and only gets dumber. And no religion is spared!

Brutha is a child-like novice in his religious order, and he will never achieve anything more than novice status. Until one day his god literally falls from the sky and realizes that Brutha is the only person in his entire religion who actually *believes* and isn't just going through the mo
José
Apr 27, 2015 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld, kindle
Reseña en español en mi blog: Click aquí.
Mis otras reseñas de Mundodisco en este enlace.

One of the most satiric Discworld novels. Pratchett makes fun of the most retrograde aspects of religion (because who believes that the world is round when it's clearly a disc o top of a giant turtle?) in an extremely clever way.

I don't think it is the ideal book to start reading Terry Pratchett though. The first half of the book is amazing and incredibly funny, but the second one was a bit slow for me becaus
Olivier Delaye
Oct 30, 2012 Olivier Delaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peed my pants with this one, too! Witty and deep at the same time, and oh so true!
GarlicPrincess
Mar 06, 2017 GarlicPrincess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, religion
A clever, lighthearted, witty satire on religions. So much fun imagining the rage between tortoise and devout believer.
Sam Quixote
Re-reading books from your childhood as an adult is always a bit risky. Sometimes the book holds up and it’s amazing, like somehow you’ve achieved time-travel - sometimes they don’t and that just plain sucks. So when the lovely new hardbacks of the beloved Discworld series began appearing late last year, I picked up some books I’d read a long time ago and subsequently forgotten all but a few scenes, characters and a line or two from. One of these was Small Gods which I remember liking but, havin ...more
Camille Stein

Vorbis, malvado diácono y ‘exquisidor’ máximo de Omnia (Ilustración de Matt Smith) - http://ow.ly/ulSko & http://ow.ly/ulS6o

El tiempo es una droga. En cantidades excesivas, mata.

Lo malo de ser un dios es que no tienes a nadie a quien rezar.

Hacen falta cuarenta hombres con los pies en el suelo para sostener a un hombre que tiene la cabeza en las nubes.

La culpabilidad es la grasa sobre la que giran los engranajes de la autoridad.

Estamos aquí y es ahora. Tal como yo lo veo, a partir de ahí t
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Following on from Pyramids, Guards! Guards!, and Witches Abroad, Pratchett continues his study of theology, philosophy and the misuse thereof by mankind, touching on the same ground that his good friend Neil Gaiman would later dive in to with American Gods - what happens to the god when people stop believing in it?

It's funny and sharp with its satire, exactly as you would expect from Pratchett. And in taking months to read it all of my thoughts and theories have dribbled away to be replaced by a
Doreen
Sep 30, 2012 Doreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You can die for your country or your people or your family, but for a god you should live fully and busily, every day of a long life."

And with that, I no longer have an excuse not to hunt down every Terry Pratchett book to enjoy and, probably, treasure. I've loved every book of his I've read to date, but that one line, so self-evident and borderline blasphemous to ANY religion, cements my belief that Mr Pratchett is one of the greatest thinkers and writers of our time. Perhaps delving into the
Kalin
Jul 25, 2011 Kalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Пратчет е един от духовните ми татковци. Започвайки на 11 с „Ерик“, буквално израснах с неговите книги.

Тази ми е от най-израстващите. :)

Имаме нейно представяне от Васил Станев в Човешката библиотека:

Faye
A multi-book review:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (5/5 stars), Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (5/5 stars), The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (4/5 stars).

I found myself reading all three of this novels at roughly the same time, and as I feel that they all complement each other, I will use this review for all three books. (So apologies in advance both for the length of this review, and for the fact it is for three books not just this one.)

Small Gods is one of Pratchett's mor
Roviragrao
Oct 10, 2012 Roviragrao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #13)

En esta novela independiente tenemos al mejor Pratchett hablando de religión, guerra y filosofía. Grandes dosis de ingenio y mala leche para retratar la condición humana, sobre todo en lo que se refiere a su estupidez. Plagada de referencias a otras obras clásicas, personajes y hechos históricos, requiere una buena base de conocimientos para disfrutarla al máximo, o en su defecto acudir a The Annotated Pratchett File: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/small...

De momento,
BlackOxford
Winning in Heaven

Pratchett at his theological best: there are many gods, varying in size and power depending on the numbers who believe in them. The obvious theological/economic issue which then arises is 'How does a small god survive?' Stiff competition calls for creative solutions.
Wiebke (1book1review)
One of my favorite Discworld novels.
It talks about religion and belief and what it can do to people and gods.
Esmerelda Weatherwax
This is sometimes recommended as a good starting place for people who are looking to enter into discworld. I would agree with this if you're the type of person who doesn't need to continue on with the same characters from one book to the other. If you're looking for the style of Pratchett, but you just want a taste without getting into any major character arcs and just want his wit and wisdom this is your book.

The premise is that Gods only have as much power as the people allow - and this is a
Kathy Davie
Sep 06, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, satire
Thirteenth in the Discworld satirical fantasy series and revolving around a world canvas against which Pratchett displays his brilliant sense of humor, poking fun at everything and anything. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Discworld books on my website.

My Take
The focus is on a cruel and dictatorial religion which has forgotten about worshipping its god and is intent on its own power. Hmmm, remind you of any religions in our own world??

It's the corruption that power
Wastrel
I've always remembered this as the best Discworld book, and so does nearly everybody else. And I really wanted to mark it down, both because it's always good to disagree with a consensus, and because early on in the book I got really quite irritated by the unsubtleness and heavy-handedness of Pratchett's satire against religion. And I got pretty irritated later on by the unquestioning attitude the book takes towards Pratchett's own views.

But... I can't. Those things may stop it from being my fav
Thiago d'Evecque
Pra mim, Pequenos Deuses é Terry Pratchett no auge -- crítica certeira e divertida das religiões, da fé cega e de suas consequências. Ele não zomba tanto da crença em si, mas principalmente de como a religião organizada se aproveita dela para benefício próprio. Durante a história, o leque de sátiras se expande: ateus e filósofos também viram alvo do olhar perfeito de Pratchett sobre o ridículo nosso de cada dia.

É o livro do Discworld em que sinto a presença do lado trágico do enredo e de um tema
Nathan
Apr 22, 2013 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Complete Discworld Reread

I. ‘ SMALL GODS’ IS THE STORY OF BRUTHA, LAST OF THE PROPHETS TO THE GREAT GOD OM. IT IS CONSIDERED BY MANY TO BE THE BEST BOOK BY PRATCHETT FOR GOOD REASON. IT SHOULD BE THE ONLY BOOK A PERSON EVER NEEDS TO READ.

It is true that ‘Small Gods’ is a hell of a book, and is probably my favorite of the author’s vast catalog. I don’t know how many times I have read it in my life, but over a dozen is a safe bet. It tells the story of Brutha, an illiterate novice in the Churc
Leah
Nov 16, 2013 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comic
"Well, I've done stories, and the myth of the movies, and death, and ancient cultures. What next? I KNOW! I'll tackle religion!" -- Terry Pratchett.

The man just gets better and better, giving subtle weight and genuine reasoning to that most fraught of all topics, what people believe.

Wonderful Pratchett characters abound: sighing cynics, worldly philosophers (with state-granted loofahs), simple church novices, grumpy tortoise-gods... They interact with one another in delightful and delightfully
Mar 14, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Humans! They lived in a world where the grass continued to be green and the sun rose every day and flowers regularly turned into fruit, and what impressed them? Weeping statues. And wine made out of water! A mere quantum-mechanistic tunnel effect, that'd happen anyway if you were prepared to wait zillions of years. As if the turning of sunlight into wine, by means of vines and grapes and time and enzymes, wasn't a thousand times more impressive and happened all the time...”

The best Discworld no
British Literatur...: Novel Review: Small Gods 1 5 Mar 12, 2017 02:09PM
Hoyt's Huns: Small Gods -- November 2016 -- spoilers allowed 3 7 Dec 02, 2016 04:38PM
Newest printing missing cover 2 54 Nov 07, 2016 07:24AM
Hoyt's Huns: Small Gods -- November 2016 -- spoiler free 3 10 Nov 06, 2016 07:20AM
The Discworld in someone else's hands 16 194 Jul 28, 2015 05:36PM
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • How Right You Are, Jeeves (Jeeves, #12)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius, #5)
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • No Cure for the Paladin Blues (The Order of the Stick, #2)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.” 3513 likes
“His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink.” 818 likes