Start by marking “Torchwood: Slow Decay” as Want to Read:
Torchwood: Slow Decay

Torchwood: Slow Decay (Torchwood #3)

When Torchwood track an energy surge to a Cardiff nightclub, the team finds the police are already at the scene. Five teenagers have died in a fight, and lying among the bodies is an extraterrestrial device. Next morning, they discover the corpse of a Weevil, its face and neck eaten away, seemingly by human teeth. And on the streets of Cardiff, an ordinary woman with an ex ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Random House (UK) (first published May 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Torchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torchwood

Torchwood by Gary RussellTorchwood by Peter AnghelidesTorchwood by James GossTorchwood by Brian MinchinTorchwood by Trevor Baxendale
Best Torchwood Books
12th out of 35 books — 30 voters
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert Kirkman
Books That Are Also TV Shows
87th out of 293 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Dark-Draco
Aug 22, 2016 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Read over one gloriously lazy weekend!

I've read a few Dr Who novelisations over the years, but this is the first Torchwood one and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. The story is suitably horrific (although as a person who is always battling weight issues - would I be tempted?!?!?!) and there is some nice humour running through it.

On the other side, I wasn't completely convinced by the characterisation ... sometimes Jack's one-liners seemed a little forced, but I did like the changing point of vi
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5
This would have been a very disgusting episode if they had made it.
There are two unconnected cases in this book, though they use one to deal with the other later on. They find an alien artefact at a club where a group of young men killed each other. They don't have any trouble solving that case. The other case is someone or something is killing Weevils and humans alike.

What I liked? I liked Jack, of course, though unfortunately there isn't much of him here. The main case is interesting, tho
Claudia
Jul 08, 2014 Claudia rated it really liked it
A good solid book, which uses an interesting and plausible premise, and is pleasingly creepy in places. I loved a lot of the little details about the alien (and the alien tech). The characterisation of Toshiko was spot on and Jack, Gwen and Rhys were also very well done, even if a few of Jack's speeches made it clear we really haven't given John Barrowman enough credit for making some really bad dialogue sound like human speech. I thought the characterisation of Owen was a bit broad. The lack of ...more
Keri
Mar 02, 2009 Keri rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, tie-in
Recommended for those who like the Whoniverse stories that skew more toward the horror genre than straightforward sci-fi-- this is a tale full of blood, gore and lovingly described bodily ickiness. For that, it's pretty effective, and the characterization is fairly well-done, though Owen's romantic subplot felt very tacked on; apparently it isn't a proper Torchwood story if one of the team doesn't randomly fall in love with a minor character who will never be mentioned again.

Overall, not the bes
Stephen Osborne
Dec 01, 2012 Stephen Osborne rated it really liked it
What I liked about the book: Andy Lane really got the characters, and seemed to know them inside out. Jack was the Jack I love, smart, sassy, and full of off the cuff quips. Gwen was perfect, the human heart of Torchwood, Toshiko was brilliant and uncertain of herself and Owen was self-centered but you could see if you chipped away at his cool, uncaring exterior he's just a big softie. And you really get into the characters heads here.
The down side: A slow start, and sometimes we got so much cha
Craig
Nov 10, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the CD audiobook version of this one; the title on this Goodreads listing says "unabridged," but the liner notes credit the person who did the abridgement, so... Anyway, it's a fine, fast-paced story, and is read very well by Burn Gormam. The characters are depicted most convincingly, particularly Rhys and Gwen, as well as Owen. It fits in somewhere early in the first season of the show; well worth a listen for Torchwood fans.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 29, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
There's some very odd things going on, as is usual in a Torchwood story. A weevil is found that has been partly eaten away, and the group is having a hard time figuring out just what could do that. A secondary theme is the use of an alien device by some young people that results in a fight at a club and the death of the entire group of kids.

A third thing is the relationship between Rys and Gwen. The spark seems to have gone out, and Rys decides that losing weight, via using some kind of miracle
Cora
Sep 12, 2015 Cora rated it really liked it
Shelves: torchwood, sci-fi
I've re-read this book and I would give it 3.5 stars because I felt it took too long to get to the main part of the story, which was human beings going to a clinic, getting ravenous hunger so much so that they ate anything in sight and then the alien creature came along. Other than that, I enjoyed the storyline of the book.
I loved the way that Andy Lane included each member of the Torchwood's team point of view throughout the book ( including Rhys), which followed what they were doing, and it fe
Mary
Sep 18, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I have to say this Torchwood book was just too slow and personal issue orientated for me. Yes there were some interesting parts to the plot, but I never felt it really got going.

Torchwood Border Princes/Slow Decay/Another Life General:
I've now read three of the Torchwood books. I was most interested in how three different writers dealt with the same charater and scene confinements and also what it means to have pre-defined characters who can be watched on screen so much so that even the actors m
annik
Я все время забываю, насколько тошнотворным может быть Торчвуд. Ни разу не видела в Докторе кишок, съеденных лиц, оторванных с мясом конечностей и прочей лабуды, вызывающей рвотный рефлекс. А в Торчвуде — навалом. Благо целевая аудитория другая, и разгуляться можно вовсю.

Временные рамки: после прихода Гвен в команду, но до Cyberwoman. Речь в этой истории идет о революционных таблетках для похудения, предлагаемых сомнительной клиникой. Понятное дело, наши производители пихают туда всякую мутотень
Jules Jones
This is one of the trio of tie-in novels released for the first season of Torchwood, and is set early in that season, after Gwen's settled in but before Cyberwoman. Tie-in novels can disappoint, but this is a solid story that's well-written and that fits the Torchwood universe well; a dark tale about the things that come through the Rift and their misuse by the locals. It's actually better than the first couple of tv episodes, because the sex and violence is used to good effect in the story, rat ...more
Melyssa
Mar 10, 2012 Melyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: vo, torchwood
Enfin!

Enfin un auteur qui fait justice aux personnages! Enfin un auteur qui s'applique à l'écrit à soigner ce qui a manqué cruellement à la série sur écran! Enfin quelqu'un qui sait tirer profit du support papier! Avec cette petite chose, Andy Lane offre à l'équipe de Torchwood ce qui m'a toujours affreusement manqué chez eux, et que j'espérais si fort trouver dans les romans: il les rend vrais.

Bien sûr pour compenser il propose une (enfin des) intrigues un peu pourries mais pour tout dire, j'ai
Wayland Smith
Dec 18, 2014 Wayland Smith rated it liked it
I thought this was one of the better Torchwood novels. While I like Capt. Jack a lot, he wasn't in this one as much. They did a nice job on the characterizations, especially Tosh.

There are two cases that loosely link up. Owen gets a tragic subplot that goes poorly. That guy never could catch a break.

This one veers more towards horror and less towards sci fi, but that works for Torchwood.

Recommended to fans of the show, of Dr. Who, and good sci fi/horror combos.
Lamadia
Mar 06, 2014 Lamadia rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one as much as the previous Torchwood books. For one, you as the reader was always one step ahead of the characters, which was frustrating and made them seem dumb. The author makes sure that it's clear to you what's going on, but now there's no mystery, the story becomes boring, and you're just waiting for the characters to figure it out, too. The best part of the book was Jack's funny quips that come out of nowhere and go nowhere, very much in character.
Rea K
Jul 14, 2015 Rea K added it
Shelves: wiscat
Scads better than the previous one. Diet pills, reminded me of Adipose, except the Adipose were cute little fat marshmallows and there was not cannibalism involved.
Also takes place before the Cyberwoman episode as there are allusions to things down in the bowels of Torchwood. Was Ianto really that boring in the beginning? Dude. I may have to go back and rewatch the early Torchwood and pay attention to Ianto.
Made me want to eat food. And then it was gross and I did not want to eat food anymore.
Meagan
Dec 15, 2009 Meagan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Torchwood Fans
Leila Anani
This is my favourite Torchwood audio book to date. The story revolves around people ingesting the eggs of an alien parasite as a miracle weight loss cure. It's incredibly gory and scarily plausible. Adore the story - it's Torchwood at it's most freaky and it's read really well by Burn Gorman (Owen) who is probably the main character of the story, so that ties in nicely.

I love the bits of black humour, like Jack naming the parasites after the Beatles and then when one of them goes into the next
Seth Tucker
Aug 17, 2014 Seth Tucker rated it liked it
This book is a great example of the early Torchwood episodes. It's dark look into mankind and the lengths the team will go to protect humanity. It is also a Gwen and Rhys heavy story, so it's okay but their season 1 relationship never appealed to me that much. This is a fun romp though and a must for any Torchwood fan. I enjoyed the diet pill and flesh eating monsters found within.
dani
Feb 12, 2012 dani rated it it was amazing
this book was GOOD. Andy Lane's writing style is very captivating, and in my opinion, he could write so many more books than just based off of TV shows. his knowledge about medical work that Owen does is really interesting, even though I couldn't pronounce half of the terms.
I like how intertwined everyone's own story was. it gave the overall plot more dimension.
(view spoiler)
Kristina
Jan 15, 2016 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: torchwood
I liked the fact that the team were dealing with several issues. It gave it more of a sense of realism that Tosh was researching archived alien devices while Owen was investigating what might have killed (and partially eaten) a Weevil. I also liked the spooky natures of the archives and the hint that something might be down there (Cyberwoman anyone?).
Ina
Mar 18, 2012 Ina rated it liked it
Um, I love Torchwood. Like, I'm obsessed.
I mean, I love Doctor Who, and when the Torchwood show started, I was hooked.
I left it after a while, but then it came back again.
So when I saw this book, I NEEDED IT.

It was good, but I don't think it does the characters justice. Each character is much more developed than this book says, but then again, the book does develop the characters pretty well.

It wasn't a very deep story, but it was still a good story. I read it twice already, and I still like
Krista McCracken
An okay Torchwood tie-in novel. I found the story a bit over the top gruesome in places and there seemed to be a lot of focus on character personal life that though interesting in small doses was a bit overplayed. I did like that much of the novel was from Gwen and Owen's perspectives though. And the characterization of Jack was spot on.
Lavender
Jun 06, 2016 Lavender rated it liked it
Shelves: own, lauras-shelf
Several of my friends regularly watch/watched Dr Who and Torchwood. I managed to never get into Torchwood when it was on the air. I was familiar with the characters and concepts due to catching bits and pieces of the show or hearing friends discuss some point or other. I'm more of a reader than TV watcher, so I started reading this series as I was interested enough to see what it was all about. At first, I had assumed the novels would just retell the events from the TV show, but these are totall ...more
Annette
Aug 28, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
First of all I have to say I love the tv series (just finished re-watching series one over five weeks).

I picked up this audio cd from the library prior to re-watching the series and had some fairly low expectations. Reason for low expectations - I'm not particularly keen on books based on a movie or tv show (and vice versa). I tend to read / watch just the one as I get so disappointed.

In this case, I was most entertained on my journey to/from work, possibly for the two listed positives. :-)

Pos
Chent Higson
Feb 15, 2015 Chent Higson rated it really liked it
Probably what most annoyed me was Gwen taking the moral high ground. Like, Rhys was getting a tad too friendly with Lucy and Gwen gets angry at him, but the only person in the team she hasn't thought about having an affair with is Ianto (yes Tosh counts). Seriously.
Ena
Dec 14, 2011 Ena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Vandrew
Nov 19, 2014 Matthew Vandrew rated it liked it

Getting better but - why are there two scenes, one of them quite important, that are told about but not shown? I mean - the final fate of the the main antagonist is told in one sentence. Why not show it?

D.J.
Mar 17, 2016 D.J. rated it it was ok
Not one of the best Torchwood books - the whole concept is basically a darker turn on a Doctor Who plot from around the same time - and I don't really feel like there's a great grasp of the characters.
Clodagh
Nov 04, 2015 Clodagh rated it liked it
Much better than the first two books; would love this to be an actual episode. Lots of funny dialogue in this one, especially from Owen. Tosh is still out of character.
  • Torchwood: Something in the Water
  • Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
  • Torchwood: Border Princes
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Torchwood: Skypoint
  • Torchwood: Pack Animals
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Torchwood: Consequences
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Torchwood: The Devil and Miss Carew

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Torchwood: Another Life
  • Torchwood: Border Princes
  • Torchwood: Something in the Water
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
  • Torchwood: Pack Animals
  • Torchwood: Skypoint
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)

“Ever seen a two-year-old tattering around a garden? There might be a poison ivy, or rose bushes or hawthorne around the edges. There might be spades or secateurs lying on the lawn. The kid doesn't care. He just wants to play with all those brightly coloured things he sees. To him, the world is a safe place. And you might want to rush out and cut back all those sharp spiky plants so they can't hurt him, and you might want to clear away all those dangerous tools just in case, he picks them up and cut himself on them, but you know you shouldn't because if you keep doing that then he either will grow up thinking the can never hurt him, or he might go the other way, and think that everything is dangerous, and he should never go far from your side. So you just watch. And wait. And if he does get rush from the poison ivy or if he does cut his fingers off with the secateurs, then you get him to the hospital as quickly as you can, in the reasonably sure knowledge the he'll never make the same mistake again.” 1 likes
“In the end, the slow decay of the body didn't matter. We all continue on, renewing ourselves, through our offspring. They are what matter. They are what survives.” 1 likes