Start by marking “Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)

Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote #3)

Jessica is on vacation in St. Thomas when she discovers the corpse of hotel owner Walter Marschalk. The island police suspect a hot-tempered ex-employee but cool-headed Jessica will discover who's the real serpent in Eden. Second in a 4-book series.
Published April 1st 1995 by Signet

The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan PoeThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovCakes and Ale by W. Somerset MaughamTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben Peller
Cheers!
114th out of 116 books — 45 voters
Junky by William S. BurroughsThe Rum Diary by Hunter S. ThompsonThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben Peller
Under the Influence
140th out of 187 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Lunger
Mar 21, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it
On a vacation to sunny St. Thomas, Jessica Fletcher can't escape a murder mystery in this early entry in the series. Things begin amiss when the friends she is visiting (Laurie & Walter Marschalk) end up under investigation for money issues & she witnesses the firing of an employee of the resort. When the one owner turns up dead, a rather atypical mystery ensues even for this series. Bain leaves us guessing throughout the story as the clues are so widely scattered that there are more sus ...more
Kate
Jan 27, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect book to read during a snowy winter. Set on St. Thomas, there is a real island feel and I really felt transported to the Caribbean beaches!
Dharia Scarab
Mar 29, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Edel
Jessica is off to the carribean in this book for a much needed holiday after finishing her latest book.Her holiday is all the more exciting as she is going to visit old friends who now live there and own a 4 * inn. Unfortuately Jessica finds her holiday to be anything but relaxing when she comes across a dead body.As usual Jessica puts her thinking cap on and starts her own investigation and thats where the fun begins.
This is another great whodunnit by this writer. I love that this book is set i
 Gigi Ann
Feb 19, 2016 Gigi Ann rated it really liked it

After a cold winter in Cabot Cove, Maine, and with another soon-to-be bestseller on the way to her publisher, mystery writer Jessica Fletcher is off to balmy St. Thomas with its aquamarine sea and white sand beaches.

But from the moment Jessica arrives at a four-star inn nestled by a beautiful lagoon, (Lover's Lagoon) she senses trouble in paradise. Owners Laurie and Walter Marschalk are in deep water over money troubles and competition from a big hotel nearby. Yet the gourmet food, and beautiful
Molly Cline
4 star

Beth
Sep 23, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Theresa
Nov 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: crimes
As in the previous two, Bain is fuzzy on his characterisation of the canon characters but feels within reach of something more faithful. So far the author seems really determined to inject Seth or Mort into every one of Jessica's adventures, either by having them tag along for no particular reason or call her every day for no particular reason, which isn't very true to the show. I have like thirty more of these waiting so maybe at some point Donald Bain will get confident enough in his character ...more
Kristi Anderson
Apr 30, 2014 Kristi Anderson rated it it was amazing
I do like the MSW books a lot. Lansbury, no matter what she's part of, can do no wrong in my opinion. With that said these books kind of iritate me in that tbey are based on the series yet Jessica says in one of the 'booze' titled books that she knows nothing about teaching. Hello?! JB was an English teacher by profession. That bugged me. But I still adore her character and the stories.
Rosa Cline
This is book 4 in the Murder She Wrote series. I haven't watched many episodes of the television show but someone said these books were written along with the series but I don't know... and I don't know which episode this book 'follows'... But with that said it was pretty interesting. Jessica Fletcher was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and recognized a person she wasn't suppose to recognize in which threw her into a murder investigation. (I mean did you expect anything else? :) ) It was a ...more
Harry
Jul 29, 2015 Harry rated it it was ok
Joan Schrock
Oct 11, 2014 Joan Schrock rated it really liked it
I liked this Jessica Fletcher mystery a little more than most. It takes place in the Virgin Islands. Dr. Seth Hazlett, Jessica's good friend assists her in solving not only a murder but political, and corporate mis doings is also in the mix. Light reading. G rated language, sex and violence.
Cheryl Landmark
Jul 08, 2015 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
One of the earlier “Murder, She Wrote” books, but still an enjoyable whodunit from this series.

The lovely, exotic setting of the Caribbean made me wish I was accompanying Jessica on her vacation, sans the dead body, of course! Once more, we are carried along with Jessica as she tries to solve the murder mystery that has tainted her well-earned holiday in her usual tenacious, cool-headed way.

Something that was a little problematic for me, however, was the whole fake suicide in the jail cell thing
Pat
Oct 06, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Love these books
Jennie
Sep 12, 2014 Jennie rated it liked it
Loved the Carribbean setting. Nice story line-keeps you guessing. Easy to read, light fare book. Great for plane travel or relaxing by the pool or a lagoon.
Donna Syler
Apr 24, 2014 Donna Syler rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of my favorites. Of course I have read just about all of the Murder She Wrote books
Sara Whitford
Apr 29, 2016 Sara Whitford rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Loved it! St. Thomas is one of my favorite places and this book set there was such a fun read. I started to suspect the guilty about halfway through the book, but I was very surprised at how it all ended.

I'd give it five stars, except as often happens with these Murder, She Wrote books, there are character attributes for Jessica that just don't quite fit her character from the TV series and there were a few editing errors, one which really left me scratching my head. According to p. 62, Blackbe
Rosa Cline
4 star

Andrea
Jul 24, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Yet another cozy little mystery with Jessica Fletcher. This time, she is vacationing on St. Thomas while visiting some friends. One friend ends up dead, and it's up to Jess to find out whodunnit. I love the Murder, She Wrote series, and I always enjoy these books. I think Bain does a terrific job transferring Jessica and her life in Cabot Cove to the written page. A light little read that is immensely pleasurable to get lost in.
Dutchfarmeress
Dec 19, 2015 Dutchfarmeress rated it it was amazing
I love to watch Murder She Wrote, even the ones I have already seen three times.... It is so uncomplicated, warm and entertaining. That's why I decided to pick up the series to read. The books have the same atmosphere as the television series. No literature and no highly disturbing psychological crimes, but something to read when you just want to flee your daily worries into something pleasant, cosy, amusing.
Stephanie
Apr 13, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed this book. Having never travelled to the Carribean, I really felt I was part of Jessica's vacation. I'm inspired to try some of recipes of the type mentioned. The mystery was good, Jessica's dealings with the police and suspects exciting and not stupid. This author certainly does research and it shows. A smart cozy!
Brian Kirk
Aug 13, 2016 Brian Kirk rated it liked it
Not a great read but entertaining none the less. The book had a couple holes that were not really answered but I found it entertaining. I will continue on with the series as they are usually pretty good.
Sheila
Sep 11, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: wom-2016, wobble-nbrc
Jessica Fletcher can't even go on vacation on St. Thomas without tripping over a body.

WARNING: Never invite Jessica Fletcher to come visit you. Someone will DIE.
Susan Jo Grassi
Jun 18, 2016 Susan Jo Grassi rated it it was amazing
And yet another winner from Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain. I loved the TV show and now I can love the books. Perfect cozies with a star you can relate to.
Linda
Mar 15, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Typical crime story with Jessica Fletchet.
But as usual I found it hard to figure out who the killer is. That is always good when it comes to a crime novel.
Lauren
Jun 15, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. The setting was great and the writing really got me interested.
Steph
Jun 29, 2016 Steph rated it it was amazing
Loved the tropical beach setting and Jessica's usual snoopy, direct, but ever so polite ways. There were suspects galore, making this a real puzzle.
Rage
Feb 08, 2015 Rage rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another installment. thought it was a bit weird for Seth to go all the way to this island just because he was worried about Jess (would not happen on the show), but his presence made sense in the story. think Bain has a hard time not hinting that there might be a romance, giving Jess someone to dance with etc. like the show, it's a pretty cozy series that doesn't demand much from the audience, which sometimes is what you might be in the mood for.
Jackie Linkous
Aug 31, 2016 Jackie Linkous rated it really liked it
Another fun installment in the series. A comfort read because of the familiarity of the characters. I'm looking forward to reading another one of these over the upcoming long weekend.
Kellene
Feb 19, 2016 Kellene rated it liked it
I grew up loving "Murder, She Wrote", and I enjoyed the book as much as I did the show. It is a fast, easy read, with all of the usual twists, turns and favorite characters from the show. Not the usual location of Cabot Cove, Maine, but even Jessica Fletcher deserves a vacation now and then. Lucky for her fans, even then she still manages to get tangled up in a murder.
The Women's Myste...: #3 Rum & Razors 6 9 Jul 16, 2013 08:32PM
  • Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Buzzkill (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Wicked Weaves (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #7)
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Pumpkins in Paradise (A Tj Jensen Mystery Book 1)
  • The Greek's Stolen Bride
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • The Silent Partner (Diagnosis Murder, #1)
  • Desert Rose (Warriors Series - #1)
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • In The Dead of Winter (Ivy Towers, #1)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi
More about Jessica Fletcher...

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)
  • A Little Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)