Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons

Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Is the writing workshop the only way to teach writing? No. There are a variety of approaches or programs, but none of them matches the writing workshop when it comes to growing strong writers. That's why, despite the pressures of testing, the writing workshop has endured and even flourished in thousands of schools across the country. Today we face a time when as many as te...more
Published September 14th 2001 by Heinemann Educational Books

Shannon Clark
This book is just what I needed since I'm wanting to desperately improve my teaching of writing with my 6th graders. Although I might not implement a TRUE writer's workshop there are several things from this book that I have taken to heart and will try:

1.Mini-lessons based on what the students need-whole class, small group, individual
2.Small group and individual conferences-I might swap back and forth on these each week because of time
3. Lots of mentor texts!!!
4. I also want to put the kids in...more
Tara
As the newest teacher within a school district that expects workshop style teaching, I need to get through as many texts like this one as I can.

This was a valuable resource to any new teacher. It does in small parts focus on elementary scenarios, but as an 8th grade English teacher, I found the bulk of the information to be relevant to my grade level, and short parts specifically geared for younger grades can be skipped over.

One thing that freaked me out a little bit was that there is no mention...more
Tracy
Jul 27, 2013 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers unfamiliar w workshop
Recommended to Tracy by: Oregon Writing Project course
Shelves: teaching-writing

This practical, easily readable resource is the perfect tool for teachers who have never been privileged to witness or experience the writing workshop in the classroom. As a high school English teacher, I found that a few of the recommendations would not apply since it is written with K-8 in mind, but mostly I felt that I gained a clear picture of how a workshop could look and function. Fletcher and Portalupi use a straightforward, simple voice to communicate workshop details about the environm...more
Michael Brockley
At 162 pages, Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide is an introduction in the facilitation of writing. The authors encourage teachers of writing to create an environment in which writing is welcomed. The focus shifts from red marks and curriculum-driven expectations to meaningful daily writing as determined by students. In short chapters, Fletcher and Portalupi guide the prospective writing teacher through the process of establishing a writing workshop in a classroom. The authors stress througho...more
Nordy
Oct 06, 2009 Nordy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-6 teachers
I liked Ralph Fletcher's What a Writer Needs This book also had some great information and I'm sure that it is very affective for k-6 teachers. They are, after all, the intended audience.

But the book was not helpful for me at all. I am trying to figure out how to adapt this reading/writing workshop approach to a Sophomore and Senior English class, because our district is implimenting this 6-12. As our high school's demonstration classroom teacher, I need to apply it to my courses and then have...more
Pam
This book has lots of practical advise on how to start and use a Writer’s Workshop in your classroom. It gives you basic formats and at the end of each chapter there are points for using the workshop in the classroom. It is an easy read and provides teachers with the basics. The book is a great starting point if you are beginning your writer’s workshop.
The book also provides a lesson for the first few days, a lesson for the first week, scope and sequence, conferencing tips, and assessments.
I'm participating in the National Writing Project for my district. We were given this book as a guidebook during the workshop.

I think there some good ideas here but I teach middle school. The intended audience, I believe, is elementary. While the book refers to modifications which could be made for 6th-8th grades, student data comes from 5th graders at the most.

If I feel that I'm not the intended audience, I wonder how the high school teachers in our workshop feel about the book.
Paul
This book is geared more toward young writers (K through 8), but I still found four concrete ideas to incorporate into my college Creative Writing course with my students.

I was able to flip through the entire book in under an hour. If you are a teacher who is especially knowledgable of the writing process, you can skip much of it. But the "Making it Work in the Classroom" ideas at the end of each chapter are the "take aways" that I found helpful.
The Reading Countess
Read in a PLC ELA group, Fletcher's book is reassuring in my hands. Although I adore anything Fletcher pens, I wonder why this text was selected to be read by the ELA leadership in my district. The publication date (2001) makes me wonder about the choice.

Fletcher never disappoints, though, no matter the date of publication.
A great resource whether you are just launching writing workshop or trying to fine tune what you already have in place. Covers everything from use of time and space to conferring with writers to assessment and evaluation. A very useful reference book for anyone who teaches writing.
Melissa
Book #12 read in 2007

I bought and read this book as research for teaching. I want to add Writing Workshop to my class. This book was easy to read and understand. I learned a lot and can easily see how I can use and apply what I read to my classroom.

Borrowed by a friend (Sherri)
Marcy
Read this for work, even though I could teach it! That being said it is a good book to bring people to the discussion of WW and a good book for those who haven't started or had it in ed school!!
Oh dear..what's happening with masters in Ed programs...
Diana Pettis
As part of professional development with a group at school. On page 21.

Now up to page 101: Very helpful for me to see what classroom expectations are and how I can better incorporate writing into my small groups.

Liked book 8/7
Annette Steele
Bought this book LAST summer (09) and finally read it this spring. Very helpful and do-able suggestions for a classroom writing workshop. Now that I will HAVE a classroom on a regular basis I plan on implementing these ideas in the fall.
Sarah D'Arco
Great resource on Writing Workshop. This is a highly readable and down to earth guide describing the nuts and bolts of teaching using the Writing Workshop style. Highly recommend to teachers looking to implement workshop-style teaching!
Karen
This is a great book for someone who is new to writing workshop. I think this will be a great staff development book for my school this year, so, as a staff, we can begin to talk about best practices as it applies to writing workshop.
Joe Wood
For anyone who is thinking about starting a Writing Workshop, Fletcher's book is an important first read. It will give you a great overview of the belief system and the procedural operation behind Writing Workshop.
Paige
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. There are great examples and the language is very understandable and entertaining. The authors made this somewhat daunting thought of writers workshop seem less complicated. :)
Christine Theberge Rafal
This book is short and simple, and very practical. It helps teachers begin using the writing workshop method from step one, from setting up your schedule and space to troubleshooting after you've tried it for a while.
Chris Young
This book has practical value for teachers looking to set up a writing workshop in their ELA classrooms. Sadly, this book is in need of revision as it was written prior to the high-stakes testing era.
Noah
Jan 21, 2008 Noah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary Writing Teachers
If you are just figuring out how to run your own elementary writing classroom, this would be a strong reference. Not exactly innovative or new ideas, but it does cover all the basics.
Tedrowc
A quick and dirty guide to making writing workshop work in your classroom. Interesting and quick--the most important qualities in a professional development read.
Carol
I read this two (or was it 3?) years ago. I'm looking at it again in preparation for the NSTWP--the ideas are still great, and I can only hope to make this work!
Nika
I could have gotten this information anywhere. It seemed regurgitated from various sources, and still it was presented in a generic and quite boring way.
Kurt
62. Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Fletcher and Portalupi. 154 pages. Yet another best practice book by teachers and best practicians.
Olga
Meh. I don't think I learned anything substantial until the tenth chapter. A lot of waffling and not enough valuable information.
Jen
Aug 03, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: language arts teachers
Shelves: professional
Great instructional book for how to start a writing workshop in your classroom. Great discussion on how it works, lots of practical advice
Anna
Jan 31, 2008 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writing teachers
Recommended to Anna by: my school's lead literacy teacher
This is an absolutely fantastic book on how to teach writing workshop. A must-have resource if you are teaching writing workshop!
Lisa
Good, clear, and basic. Good for anyone just starting writer's workshop or needing management suggestions.
Mrs. Miriam
This book has good, concrete ideas. I need to think about making it work in the middle school setting.
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Teaching Adolescent Writers
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a...more
More about Ralph Fletcher...
Flying Solo Fig Pudding A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You Craft Lessons Marshfield Dreams: When I Was a Kid