Craft Lessons

Craft Lessons

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Craft is the cauldron in which the writing gets forged.

Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi argue that too often we concentrate on the beginning and ending of the writing process - conceiving and correcting - while leaving students on their own to make a thousand critical decisions in their writing about crafting leads, voice, structure, supporting detail, setting, mood, and...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Stenhouse Publishers

Tara
I decided to use a sticky note to mark the lessons I'd like to try, only to determine along the way that I sticky noted almost every lesson in the book. At that point I had to come up with a better color-coded system as not to be completely ineffective, hahaha. ;)

The book is segmented into lessons for primary grades and middle grades. Although I'm an 8th grade ELA teacher, I read all of the lessons, (as the introduction suggests), and found that many of the primary grade lessons could be easily...more
Monica
A yearly reread for me!
Julie Suzanne
Wow--appropriate, easy-to-follow ideas for minilessons on actually good writing (not at all formulaic). Encourages and inspires a writing workshop environment in your classroom. I'm personally using these lessons during a Personal Narrative writing unit. Having such a unit is indeed contrary to what the authors propose, but it works anyway until I have more of a "writer's workshop" classroom.
Lynn
I have the second edition published in 2007. Geared to the classroom writing teacher, includes many mini-lesson ideas and how to help students focus and polish their writing pieces. Includes books to use as resources, but most are older titles. There are many more recently published that would be better mentor texts.
Jen
Sep 06, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: language arts teachers
Shelves: professional
A great resource for writing teachers. This is not a grammar/editing book. It gives lessons on teaching the craft of writing to students. It is broken up into grade levels. Lessons vary from teaching voice to building the story or creating the setting or building characters.
Jean
Another practical and useful book for my writing class. The author of Breathing In, Breathing Out teams up with his wife to provide examples of writing lessons for students. Very simple, straightforward and MOST usable... even for adults.
Jennie Smith
If you are looking for great mini lessons for all grade levels... this is just what you need. Some of the ones for younger grades are also adaptable for the upper grades. Ralph Fletcher never lets us down!!
Jolynn
Writer's workshop

A collection of mini-lessons to be used with writer's workshop. Although not a stand-alone book for my methods class, I will share it with the students as a possible resource.
Karen
I use this book religiously still... I always find a new way to introduce something non fiction is also as well
Paula
Practical ideas that are great mini-lessons even in my 8th grade classroom.
Marianne
Great craft lessons for the person who is just starting craft lessons.
Erin
Another great classroom resource from Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi.
Koko Nata
i used this book for creative writing class
Nobies57
Thank you Ralph, thank you, thank you.
Eileen
Eileen added it
Apr 03, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Julie Gardner
Julie Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Rory M.
Rory M. marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2014
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Choice Words
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a...more
More about Ralph Fletcher...
Flying Solo Fig Pudding Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You Marshfield Dreams: When I Was a Kid