Start by marking “Six Foolish Fishermen” as Want to Read:
Six Foolish Fishermen

Six Foolish Fishermen

A Cajun retelling of a popular funny folktale from a dynamic author-illustrator team.
Published May 1st 2000 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Six Foolish Fishermen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Foolish Fishermen

JaNeal
Aug 27, 2011 JaNeal rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For all the fishermen I love... this ridiculous story is a laugh-out-loud listening pleasure. It helps if you can speak "cajun" and a touch of French (which I don't, but it's fun trying). I'm pretty certain that this tale began in the oral telling and it may even work better that way because it is a touch long for this type of picture book. For this reason and also because the story requires a fair amount of reasoning, it really is a book intended for an older child.
Amy Lignor
Oct 12, 2011 Amy Lignor rated it it was amazing
Children’s books, let’s face it, have always been and still are the most fun adventures in the publishing industry. In this genre there is humor, laugh-out-loud fun, things that go bump in the night (but don’t actually scare you to death), and stories that become absolute favorites that are read to you night after night after night by your parents. They also give that ‘gift’ to the parents of being able to come home after a long day, sit, relax, and have a personal (much needed) moment, spent in ...more
Connie
Jul 07, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a Cajun variant of a story common around the world, about six (or in some versions, seven) men who think one is missing because, when counting themselves, each neglects to count his own self.

I first read that story in kindergarden, in a book featuring bears. This book is better written than the one I read as a child :)

Every page is funny, and you also have the bonus of finding the turtle in the various pages.

I do have a few qualms about it. First, I can't duplicate a Cajun accent, and my
Katie Jelinek
I really didnt care for this book as it turned out to be an "okay" read. It is the story of six silly friends spending a day trying to figure out how to proceed with their fishing trip when one thing after another goes wrong. As it was eventful story, it was not necessarily entertaining to me. I feel as if I might use this to teach the concept of bouncing back from troubling situations, and moving forward.
Rose Goodwin
This book was silly. The six fisherman had trouble with their math skills and common sense. It is a folktale with a look at Louisiana's Cajun language. It has a glossary at the end along with an author's note. The story would be fun for little ones learning to count. It would probably be a reread for some.
Katie Jackson
Oct 15, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
The six fishermen are always having trouble figuring out tasks. They get glues on how to fix their problems but they still don't fully understand. This book is goofy and is great for kids to read for fun.
Vivian
Apr 30, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite story to read to school classes K-3. All children are brighter than the six friends in this story who go fishing one day.
Michael28
Michael28 rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Mason Burns
Mason Burns rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Afsana
Afsana rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2010
Farjana
Farjana rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Levy Mclaurin
Levy Mclaurin rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Tam
Tam rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2015
Natalya
Sep 09, 2009 Natalya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly read! I enjoyed it!
Angela Kaczynski
Angela Kaczynski rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2009
♡♥uzma♡♥
♡♥uzma♡♥ rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2015
Kathy Coulter
Kathy Coulter rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Omar
Omar rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2009
Larry.lowe1
Larry.lowe1 marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2008
Brian Dote
Brian Dote marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2012
Heather Wallen
Heather Wallen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Ansafjaved
Ansafjaved marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Cassandra White
Cassandra White marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Fur Han
Fur Han marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Smita
Smita added it
Jan 17, 2016
Aysi May
Aysi May marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Mr. San Souci lives in San Francisco, California.
More about Robert D. San Souci...