Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis

Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Forgotten New York is your passport to more than 300 years of history, architecture, and memories hidden in plain sight.

Houses dating to the first Dutch settlers on Staten Island; yellow brick roads in Brooklyn; clocks embedded in the sidewalk in Manhattan; bishop's crook lampposts in Queens; and a white elephant in the Bronx—this is New York and this is your guide to seei...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Collins Reference

Viridian5
I checked out Kevin Walsh's Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis from being a fan of his Forgotten NY site, yet that actually detracts from the book a bit. The website is jam-packed with details and information, while the book has to leave things out. I felt that parts of Queens in particular were really shortchanged in the book, especially the Metropolitan Avenue strip and Ridgewood, while Manhattan could really be a book of its own, much larger than what's represented here. The book...more
Peter B Creedon
This book is unbelievably awesome. I've always been a fan of FNY. There's something about it that attracts me to it.
Armand D'isselt
This is an awesome book. Going on my "Must Own" list. The only negative thing that I can mention is that, at the beginning of each chapter, (each borough has its own chapter), there is an uncaptioned photograph of a scene in the corresponding borough. Every one of these photos is remarkable and I couldn't find a single way to identify any of the places portrayed in the book. That really pissed me off. How the fuck are you gonna write a book like this and leave so many interesting pictures uncapt...more
Christopher
This book 'reads' more like a walking journal almost and not a walk through history. I would suggest you pick up this book and find areas in the city of interest to you and then go out and discover what he has found.

It is not a traditional writing in the sense where you sit down and read it cover to cover. It is written for you to just browse at your leisure and discover some things you may never have 'seen' before. He has defintely done his research.

A good rec for any history lovers of the cit...more
Rowan
so far, so good. like his website, Forgotten NY, only in book form with handy maps and subway/bus info. a great way to explore new york city's forgotten side. with nice weather coming up, the weekends can be spent visiting some of these places.

**update**
put it on hold for other books. am discovering it is better to read this like a guidebook, rather than cover to cover. though a guidebook where you open the book to look something up and continue to read well beyond the section you wanted.
Virginia
My husband and I have been searching out some of the places mentioned in this book. And then we feel totally superior to people who have lived here all their lives and never heard of any of it. :)

Although, having read this book, I have started to sound like Rainman when I'm walking around the city with friends and co-workers. "This mark on this building was put here in 1929 by a bunch of blah blah blah..."

snort.
Erin
Jan 26, 2009 Erin is currently reading it
I completely geek out over lost subway stations, forgotten streets and thoughts of what buildings used to be. It's one of my favorite things about living in a city. I can't wait to read this book.

It provides fairly meaty information about some very interesting spots. Really making me feel like a NY insider. Particularly good about including the outer boroughs whereas most NY books focus solely on Manhattan.
Joseph Schlesinger
Aug 09, 2011 Joseph Schlesinger marked it as to-read
For years, I've been captivated by Kevin Walsh's ForgottenNY Web site ( http://www.forgotten-ny.com ) & have gone out of my way not to miss newly-added pages & new "Slices." (This week's feature is about New York's hidden subway & el relics.) What a delight to learn the long-awaited distillation of Kevin's offerings is now available in hard copy!
Babs
Oct 22, 2007 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Yvette
Yo, Yvie - it's all dere, well, here..everything that is forgotten about NYC - including all the boroughs..from painted advertising that's fading to lamp posts- the things we passed by in school and said, what the hell is that thing in the street, on the sidewalk.
Vicky
such a great book. every new yorker should have this book. this book just proves the fact that you can live in new tork all your life and you will never see everything, because this is such a big city with so much to discover. love it.
Brian
An utterly staggering work. Equal parts roadmap, historical primer and ode, Forgotten New York is a must-have guide to those still-visible snippets of historical New York, in all five boroughs, that you never knew existed.
emily
Sep 06, 2007 emily rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: any new yorker
Shelves: regional-local
working on this book (design) was awesome, every weekend there i was off to a new place, my new york explorations expanded exponentially and the influence continues (both with and without the book).
Alison
Got this book from my library and skimmed a few chapters and reviewed it a bit. Wonderful historical info, pics and grouped together really really well.
Will purchase this one.
James Nevius
I think this book is a wonderful guide to NYC. I just wish it was as fascinating as Walsh's website, which is one of the best NYC web resources around.
Elizabeth
This was a very special Christmas gift. Also an amazing reference and so much fun to read.
Zedder
The best tour guide to NYC that I've come across so far.
Katie
An essential guide for any bona fide urban archeologist.
Randy
A better web reference than book.
Tom
Apple
Apple added it
Apr 02, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Lisa Iwanyszyn
Lisa Iwanyszyn marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Christa May
Christa May marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
More about Kevin Walsh...
Salem: Queen of Thorns