The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)

The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,378 ratings  ·  70 reviews
When Omri puts away the cupboard in The Secret of the Indian, he vows that it will be forever. Little Bear, Boone, and the other miniature figures he had brought to life will remain plastic. But then Omri and his family move to an old country farmhouse that they inherited from a distant relative, and he unearths a faded journal hidden in the thatched roof. To Omri's utter...more
Published April 23rd 1993 by Morrow Junior Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Cupboard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Cupboard

Mary Taitt
This stupid website ATE MY REVIEW! I am so frustrated because I took all this time to write a nice review and goodreads ATE it and spat out an empty window. Now I have to start all over and I have other things to do so I cannot write as thorough a review.

I liked this book very much and recommend it to anyone who likes children's literature and fantasy. It's spell-binding and enthralling.

Unfortunately, it is a sequel, and I hadn't read the previous books, and it referred back tot hem constantly....more
Mary-Jane
This book traces the history of the cupboard, revealing that Omri's brother did not find it in an alley but rather in the basement of the family home. Omri's family moves to a thatched house in the country that they inherit from a deceased family member, leading Omri to discover a journal that traces the family and cupboard history. This book would capture the attention of a child less than the others since much of the story is old family history with some complicated relationships and very litt...more
Meadow
The story BEHIND the cupboard was very interesting. Just as interesting as the stories in the cupboard.
Myles
Explanations for magic are often unnecessary and unwelcome in children's books (scratch that - in fantasy in general), but Lynne Reid Banks provides an excellent origin story for the cupboard and key and their mysterious properties.

I enjoy a good explanation when it can be found, and while some of the elements here might have been a bit forced, overall this was a great way to cap off the series, wipe the slate clean almost for future installments. There's only been one other one since, but ther...more
Me
Reading classics is great. They don't perform any of the cliché plots of today, and they don't lack quality of writing. Yes there are more spelling typos than today, but it's wonderful to read a book with great writing and isn't cliché. The only thing is, that I'm pretty sure this is book three because books two and three are one book in my version.

Omri and his family are all excellent characters. I love how the characters are developed and how they are important. Each character has a story and...more
Gale
MYSTERIES HIDDEN UNDER THE THATCHING

Lynn Reid Banks has done it again, in this fourth book in her famous INDIAN series. When Omri insisted his father store the magic cupboard in a bank vault, so he would not be tempted to tamper with the Past, he vowed he would resist the temptation to visit with his tiny friends. But he never did understand exactly how and why this particular cupboard changed plastic toys into living, human beings from the past--with real names, occupations and lifestyles of t...more
Elisabeth

From Publishers Weekly

In this latest installment in the award-winning Indian in the Cupboard series, Omri's fascination with the little people of the cupboard has matured into an obsession with discovering the origin of their life-giving magic. With the help of his great-aunt's hidden diary and a meeting with an elderly roof-thatcher, Omri is able to piece together his own family's history--one that gave rise to the wondrous events of the last few years. In the process he takes a big risk in

Heidi
I felt like this book was not really in keeping with the same tone as the previous three in the series and we enjoyed it far less. The suggested reader age level stayed the same, but the subject matter to me was much more mature than a 9-year-old could understand. In addition, I found this book (and the one that follows it, #5) to be far more 'British' in terms of slang--it was obviously not Americanized at all for the US market. I no trouble with it but I found I had to change or explain things...more
Damien Malcolm
Was sort of odd, coming into to this book without either reading the first 2 (or 3?) in the series, or seeing the movie. My kids didn't like it much. But for someone a little older, like myself, who is interested in more things historical and the like, I found it quite intriguing to delve into the life-stories of Omri's family members. Ended kind of funny, though. Almost like a short story, where you're left just expecting so much more. All round, a good read.
Hannah Kirkhart
I forgot how much I enjoy this series. I couldn't put it down. I loved the story within the story of Omri's family history. My mind was blown a few times trying to think about the "time travel" that occurs in this book, and how careful Omri has to be. I love how real these characters: Omri, Patrick, Jessica, and the brothers. They are not cookie cutter characters, who speak and act like they "should". They act and speak as they "are" and it is so natural. As a writer, I appreciate the details th...more
David Ward
The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard #4) by Lynne Reid Banks (Avon Books 1993)(Fiction). Omri had put away the cupboard for good - until he located a secret journal from his great aunt that revealed the secret to the cupboard magic. Omri found himself opening the cupboard once more...My rating: 4/10, finished 3/10/14.
Dudley Danes
This one wasn't around when I read the first three books as a kid. It wasn't until, much older, as a father recommending the best books to my daughter when I realized that there were more. I believe there is one more book after this one, too. I didn't know what I would think of this one. It was certainly different from the previous three... but MAN was it good! That's one think about Lynne Reid Banks--she doesn't write down to her readers. She simply write a great book that kids and adults and j...more
Church Publishing
Great series. Such classic children's reality. Life and multi-multiculturalism. Peace, friendship, and adventure. Classic all the way around.
Heidi
A lot happens when Ormi and his family move into their new house. It is a long house that is inherited from a deceased cousin. The roof has to be re thatched and in the old roof Ormi finds a treasure late at night, while looking for his cat. He discovers how the cupboard came into being, and met a few new little people along the way.
This book will keep you turning the pages to the very last book. I am eager to read the last installment with my kids.
Sanvidhi Singh
In the Mystery of the cupboard , when aunt's journal reveals the secret of the cupboard and it's magic , Omri is convinced to summon his friends once more! Withone turn of magic key, Omri unlocks his most exciting adventures.
Krizia Anna
"The Indian in the Cupboard" was a great children's story. I did not expect that the "makings" of the cupboard is not that great. This book lacks a strong story plot. It feels like it was not well thought of and is lacking in substance. Even my sister can write a better story than this one. I expected a lot from Lynne Reid Banks because the first two books were exceptional. This one has no climax and is boring. A child would choose playing with real Indian dolls than read this one. If you want t...more
Megan
I must have read this book a thousand times in middle school. I don't remember much of the plot, but I was fascinated by it.
Luciano
Kim
This was strange, not having the Indians in it as such!
For me, the magic started to fade after I started book 3 - The Indian In The Cupboard is a timeless classic from my childhood, and I'm slightly disappointed in myself for reading the rest of the series and being let down!
I see the whole point in trying to discover why the cupboard/key possess magic, I just can't help feeling, the author, however talented a writer she undoubtedly is, should've stopped after two.
As kids books their great - but...more
Tirah Meier
I loved this one even more then the first. I love the mystery in this one. Awesome book!
Laraib
Jun 11, 2014 Laraib marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i want to read it
Colleen
When I read these as a kid, this was my favorite. 15+ years later and it still is my current favorite! I have to read the 5th so I suppose it is subject to change but I doubt it.

This book explains the magic and it does so beautifully. The author manages to close all the time loops in logical manners and creates new vivid characters to fall in love with. I won't say anymore for fear of spoilers, but if you liked the city, this is a must read!
Bridget Mulcahy
It was a good book but had a weird ending. I would recommend this book to people in the age of 8-12.
Sarah Law
If I'm remembering this right, this is the book where he and his brother or dad go back in time and are puppets, and later Indian corn dolls, or something. I haven't read this book for years, but I distinctly remember finding two major flaws in the story, making it impossible for everything she said to have happened the way it did. I need to reread it so I remember what they were...
Katie Watkins
My son has loved this series and it's been fun to read them aloud to him. In this story, we didn't see many of the plastic figures come to life, but we discovered the mystery of the cupboard and discovered some new characters. I did enjoy finding out more of Omri's family lineage and the story behind all of this.
Karen
This one was good. There was a lot to think about. Actions have consequences, and sometimes we don't realize how long-lasting they can be...for generations in some cases. In this one Omri learns about his Great Aunt, and how things aren't always as they seem. There was quite a bit of creative writing in this one.
Nikki
Sharkjumping. That'd make a great shelf name for book series that do so...

This book just... felt ridiculous to me. Perhaps because I'm not the target audience anymore. For me, it was such a long stretch from putting a plastic Indian in a cupboard and having it come to life to this. Too much of a stretch.
Megan Sutherland
This is a great chapter book for children to read to let their imagination grow. This book would let them imagine if their own toys came to life. Omri reads his great-great-aunt's journal that reveals a secret that makes him break his promise to himself to open the magic cupboard one more time.
Now this book was much more enjoyable than the previous two. It wasn't just the same rehashing of the first book, but instead went into the history of the origins of the magic key and cupboard. I felt the characters developed more than they have in the past. Definitely worth waiting for.
Wayne Eury
Jun 24, 2008 Wayne Eury rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wayne by: Sofia Eury
Slightly more mature thematic material from this excellent series. Lynne Reid Banks is a great writer, and this one has some poignant moments. She has carefully avoided a rehash of the same stuff, which is the trap that sequels to successful books often fall into.
YA Rewind: The Mystery of the Cupboard Discussion Page 1 4 Jan 28, 2013 10:45AM
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Behind the Attic Wall