Start by marking “Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth” as Want to Read:
Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth

Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth

Why is it so difficult to feel good about ourselves? There are times when most, if not all of us, have felt miserable about our bodies-- no matter what the number on the scale tells us. Bestselling author Pamela H. Hansen has received thousands of letters and emails from people struggling with issues of body image and self- worth. Her new book confronts society's obsession ...more
Published March 19th 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Finding the Angel Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding the Angel Within

Becky
Feb 15, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read. I started it this morning and finished it in about 3-4 hours. Very insightful, gave hope and encouragement
Abby
May 13, 2008 Abby rated it it was ok
I finished this book this morning. Technically, I had made it to page 101, and there are 140 pages in the book, and I covered those last 39 pages while brushing my teeth. My electric toothbrush runs for 3 minutes, I think, so each page received approximately 4.61 seconds of attention. But technically, I looked at most of them. So I'm hoping that counts as me having finished the book.

I really really like Pamela Hansen. And everything she said in this book was really, really good. Kind of like eve
Mindi Bennett
Nov 07, 2011 Mindi Bennett rated it liked it
This book was given to me by my mom a long time ago and has just been sitting on the nightstand. The title and picture on the cover made it appear to be a self-helpie-ish kind of book that I wasn't very interested in reading. But I picked it up and finished it quickly, and I'm glad I read it. The author is LDS, teaches weight loss/management classes and serves on the Women's Advisory Council at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (where she has received awards for her contributions to women's he ...more
Rachel
Aug 08, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I've got to preface my 3 star rating, I really like Pam Hansen and loved her book "Running With Angels" which is a must-read, hands down. However, her latest offering was kind of an extension on her correct views of body images, our spiritulity, facing challenges, etc. It was nothing really new and I didn't actually finish the book for that reason. It did contain updates on her family and responses from readers of her first book. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book at all, just a bit repetit ...more
Giana
Dec 08, 2008 Giana rated it it was amazing
Again, another compelling and motivational book. She addresses body image and the pressure placed on our women, young and older, that get caught up in the false advertising we face every day. We are taught how to love the body given to us by a loving Father-in-Heaven. She also helps us to see that we can be an angel for others and the happiness that comes from serving others. It's the angels in Pamela's life that got her through her many losses.
Joe
Jul 24, 2010 Joe rated it liked it
Also a very inspiring book as her other book "Running with Angels", this one didn't seem to apply to me as much as the other one did. But she shares some very inspiring stories to help boost one's self-worth. A great book that I would recomment to anyone, especially someone who struggles from time to time to understand their real value as a person.

Also, I like Pamela Hansen because she gave me a guaranteed entry into the St. George Marathon.
jennifer
May 14, 2008 jennifer rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Again an easy read but things I needed to hear! Having struggle with body image issues my whole life I could relate to so much that she shared! In this book she presents a sound approach to developing a healthy body image. She really spoke to my heart by her personal expamples and the examples of others! This may be more for the mormon audience as she uses a lot of mormon theology--but I think it is applicable across religious backgrounds.
Rachelle
May 19, 2008 Rachelle rated it it was ok
I really liked Pam Hansen's first book (Running with Angels), so I was excited to read this one. This book had some good information and helpful tips, but reading it felt like a really long Relief Society lesson where you look at the clock every two minutes. It never felt like it got to the "meat" of the matter either. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I don't reccommend reading it either.
Jennavier
Dec 18, 2012 Jennavier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This self-help book about low self esteem and poor body image really spoke to me. These are things I've been struggling with. I've been trying to make changes in my life but it's often hard to cut your own path to self-worth. Finding the Angel Within was about how faith in God and faith in myself can help me stop destructive behavior. It was occasionally less clear then I'd like but the overall message was very helpful.
Ann Amadori
Feb 13, 2009 Ann Amadori rated it liked it
This is not the sort of book I usually read but I enjoyed the stories and object lessons the author used to illustrate her points about spirituality, improving body image and self-worth. It caused me to think and I am glad to say I do not have much of a problem with these issues. It was nice to read her perspective however. Maybe I can help someone else.
Debra Kaitschuck
While the book had a good message, I just wasn't as involved with it or moved by it as I have been with some self-help books I've really enjoyed. There are lots of LDS references in the book. There is lots of advice and experience from other people. It wasn't near as personal to her as Running With Angels was.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been really good for me. After having babies I have such a hard time feeling good about myself. After the weight gain. My husband got this for me and it helped me lots after our fourth child was born. It helps you realize what is really important. It is easy to get caught up in what the world thinks is important. I love these kinds of books.
Sara
Aug 08, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: churchy
This was recommended to me by a friend who really connected with the book. It is a quick read, and has some good material - the organization could be improved, I thought. Always good here and there to consider our feelings towards our bodies and assess those feelings with an eternal perspective.
Amy
Jan 26, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
Reading this book made me appreciate myself, and everyone needs to do that a little more in today's world. We are constantly assaulted by the world's idea of "perfection", which is disheartening to the general population. This book gives perspective on what is truly beautiful and what great lives we can lead!
Peggy
Jul 10, 2008 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peggy by: Book club book
I enjoyed this book. There isn't much new in terms of counsel or advice, but it is sometimes shared in a manner that may help women hear it better. And there were some good quotes. I think it would be a good book for most women to read, as it's very fast reading, and it could help make the difference in a person's life.
Hollie Robb
Apr 25, 2008 Hollie Robb rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
Well didn't finish it. I just had a hard time with this one. Yes we all have a story good or bad, but we all have one. But to be fair I do think that herself discovery is very inspiring. But I do believe that we must discover ourselves, and we all have different ways of doing just that.

Liz
Jun 05, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
I liked it- it definitely gives you stuff to think about as far as body issues go. She had some good insights as to balancing between striving for a healthy body and becoming obsessed with a "perfect" body. The spiritual aspect of caring for our bodies was threaded throughout the book.
Cori Allan
Oct 09, 2008 Cori Allan rated it liked it
I finally finished this book! It was a really good book with lots of great quotes and insights - I am just not one for self help, so it was easy for me to read a bit here and there and then put it down between my other books of choice.
Karlee
Nov 08, 2010 Karlee rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book. I feel that very girl/woman should read it. It gave great insights on caring about ourselves, and the importance of loving ourselves. Really enjoyed some of the stories and quotes in there.
Danni
Sep 17, 2012 Danni rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It made me feel better about who I am. It talks about not looking to the world to find beauty because that is not what Heavenly father sees anyway. She is such an amazing woman and I really admire what she has done with her life.
Tracy
Oct 24, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tracy by: karen valentine
I loved it! It made me want to be healthier and I guess reminded me or added to my understanding of the connection between our bodies and our spirits. This is written by a good friend of my mother-in-law, and I just love her insights and her sincere, funny, non-judgemental style of writing.
Marita
Sep 17, 2008 Marita rated it it was ok
Recommended to Marita by: RS
Shelves: rs, spirituality
A good example why a good, inspirational talk is not nessessary a good book. The highlighted quotes drove me crazy like I could not figure out the best part of the page on my own! I liked some of the personal stories and quotes she used.
Rachel Messel
Feb 02, 2010 Rachel Messel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Natalie
I did not read her first book, "Running with Angels". It had a good message, but I felt I was wading through her journal and thoughts before it got to something more substantial that I could 'take into my daily life'...
Inspired Kathy
Oct 28, 2008 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I loved her first book Running with Angels. This one is not nearly as good but still a good book. I found something within it's pages that was just what I needed to hear to quit making excuses.
Rachael
Jun 18, 2011 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I loved this book! It was uplifting and inspiring. Now I just need to implement the things that I have learned . . .
Cherice
I creased several pages and wish I had taken my colored pencil with me to the pool while I read this. A quick uplifting book. Thanks, Angie!
Kaelyn Grant
Oct 02, 2013 Kaelyn Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book - about seeing the heavenly view of my own body. Even taught a lesson to my whole family using one of the points from it. Good read.
Sheila
Dec 28, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. This is one that I will read again and again. It was very uplifting and had so many things I needed to be reminded of.
Melissa Hilton
Mar 15, 2010 Melissa Hilton rated it it was amazing
Very good uplifting book. It's nothing new, yet something that is always good to hear. There are some good stories and things to think about.
Karie Caldwell
Jul 07, 2008 Karie Caldwell rated it really liked it
I usually don't read this kind of stuff, but I am really liking it!!! If you struggle with self-esteem/ self-image issues, it is a must! Lots of truth in this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • Live, Love, and Learn: Devotional Messages for Women
  • What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Single: How to Do Life As a Young Adult
  • You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need: The Quest for Contentment
  • The Cost of Winning: Coming in First Across the Wrong Finish Line
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • Forgiving Ourselves: Getting Back Up When We Let Ourselves Down
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 2: 2000-2004 (Hardcover)
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
  • Eve and the Mortal Journey: Finding Wholeness, Happiness, and Strength
  • Doing What We Came to Do: Living a Life of Love
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Broken Things to Mend
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • The Burnout Cure: An Emotional Survival Guide for Overwhelmed Women