Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth

Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Why is it so difficult to feel good about ourselves? There are times when most, if not all of us, have felt miserable about our bodies-- no matter what the number on the scale tells us. Bestselling author Pamela H. Hansen has received thousands of letters and emails from people struggling with issues of body image and self- worth. Her new book confronts society's obsession...more
Published March 19th 2008 by Shadow Mountain

Mindi Bennett
This book was given to me by my mom a long time ago and has just been sitting on the nightstand. The title and picture on the cover made it appear to be a self-helpie-ish kind of book that I wasn't very interested in reading. But I picked it up and finished it quickly, and I'm glad I read it. The author is LDS, teaches weight loss/management classes and serves on the Women's Advisory Council at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (where she has received awards for her contributions to women's he...more
Abby
I finished this book this morning. Technically, I had made it to page 101, and there are 140 pages in the book, and I covered those last 39 pages while brushing my teeth. My electric toothbrush runs for 3 minutes, I think, so each page received approximately 4.61 seconds of attention. But technically, I looked at most of them. So I'm hoping that counts as me having finished the book.

I really really like Pamela Hansen. And everything she said in this book was really, really good. Kind of like eve...more
Rachel
I've got to preface my 3 star rating, I really like Pam Hansen and loved her book "Running With Angels" which is a must-read, hands down. However, her latest offering was kind of an extension on her correct views of body images, our spiritulity, facing challenges, etc. It was nothing really new and I didn't actually finish the book for that reason. It did contain updates on her family and responses from readers of her first book. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book at all, just a bit repetit...more
Giana
Again, another compelling and motivational book. She addresses body image and the pressure placed on our women, young and older, that get caught up in the false advertising we face every day. We are taught how to love the body given to us by a loving Father-in-Heaven. She also helps us to see that we can be an angel for others and the happiness that comes from serving others. It's the angels in Pamela's life that got her through her many losses.
Joe
Also a very inspiring book as her other book "Running with Angels", this one didn't seem to apply to me as much as the other one did. But she shares some very inspiring stories to help boost one's self-worth. A great book that I would recomment to anyone, especially someone who struggles from time to time to understand their real value as a person.

Also, I like Pamela Hansen because she gave me a guaranteed entry into the St. George Marathon.
jennifer
Excellent! Again an easy read but things I needed to hear! Having struggle with body image issues my whole life I could relate to so much that she shared! In this book she presents a sound approach to developing a healthy body image. She really spoke to my heart by her personal expamples and the examples of others! This may be more for the mormon audience as she uses a lot of mormon theology--but I think it is applicable across religious backgrounds.
Rachelle
I really liked Pam Hansen's first book (Running with Angels), so I was excited to read this one. This book had some good information and helpful tips, but reading it felt like a really long Relief Society lesson where you look at the clock every two minutes. It never felt like it got to the "meat" of the matter either. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I don't reccommend reading it either.
Ann Amadori
This is not the sort of book I usually read but I enjoyed the stories and object lessons the author used to illustrate her points about spirituality, improving body image and self-worth. It caused me to think and I am glad to say I do not have much of a problem with these issues. It was nice to read her perspective however. Maybe I can help someone else.
Amy
Reading this book made me appreciate myself, and everyone needs to do that a little more in today's world. We are constantly assaulted by the world's idea of "perfection", which is disheartening to the general population. This book gives perspective on what is truly beautiful and what great lives we can lead!
Hollie Robb
Well didn't finish it. I just had a hard time with this one. Yes we all have a story good or bad, but we all have one. But to be fair I do think that herself discovery is very inspiring. But I do believe that we must discover ourselves, and we all have different ways of doing just that.

Liz
I liked it- it definitely gives you stuff to think about as far as body issues go. She had some good insights as to balancing between striving for a healthy body and becoming obsessed with a "perfect" body. The spiritual aspect of caring for our bodies was threaded throughout the book.
Danni
I loved this book. It made me feel better about who I am. It talks about not looking to the world to find beauty because that is not what Heavenly father sees anyway. She is such an amazing woman and I really admire what she has done with her life.
Marita
Sep 17, 2008 Marita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marita by: RS
Shelves: rs, spirituality
A good example why a good, inspirational talk is not nessessary a good book. The highlighted quotes drove me crazy like I could not figure out the best part of the page on my own! I liked some of the personal stories and quotes she used.
Cori Allan
I finally finished this book! It was a really good book with lots of great quotes and insights - I am just not one for self help, so it was easy for me to read a bit here and there and then put it down between my other books of choice.
Karlee
I thought this was a great book. I feel that very girl/woman should read it. It gave great insights on caring about ourselves, and the importance of loving ourselves. Really enjoyed some of the stories and quotes in there.
Inspired Kathy
I loved her first book Running with Angels. This one is not nearly as good but still a good book. I found something within it's pages that was just what I needed to hear to quit making excuses.
Karie Caldwell
I usually don't read this kind of stuff, but I am really liking it!!! If you struggle with self-esteem/ self-image issues, it is a must! Lots of truth in this one!
Melissa Hilton
Very good uplifting book. It's nothing new, yet something that is always good to hear. There are some good stories and things to think about.
Becky
I didn't end up finishing this. I loved her first book "Running With Angels", but this was too similar. I felt like I had already read this.
Tiffany
Jul 11, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with self esteem issues
Shelves: religious, self-help
I thought this book was good it helped me to see that I need to look at myself differently than I have been. It really helps the self esteem.
Brittany
This is a must-read for all women! Ladies, we need to learn to love ourselves and stop putting ourselves down.
Katie
An excellent book on postive self image. I reccommend it to anyone struggling in this way.
Suzie
I really recommend any woman to read this book. It really helped and inspired me.
Lisa
Sincere. Not excpetionally well-written, but I was interested.
Melanieb33
Melanieb33 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Gabby Tee
Gabby Tee marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014