Start by marking “Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style” as Want to Read:
Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style

Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style

Just when you feared your overstuffed, eyesore of a closet was a lost cause, here's the antidote to all your closet woes. Closet expert and style maven Melanie Charlton Fascitelli is here to help you whip your closet into shape, refreshing your wardrobe and saving you time along the way.

With this accessible, stylish guide, you'll find out how to redo your closet and organi
Published April 8th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shop Your Closet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shop Your Closet

Susan
May 12, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and found it practical and inspirational. I'm planning to change the way I store my clothes (and give away some clothes) as a result of reading this book. This book was fun to read. Not everything applied to me, but a surprising amount of the ideas in this book are ideas that I can use.
Nicol
Oct 20, 2008 Nicol rated it it was ok
Shelves: harper-reviews
Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style by Melanie Charlton Fascitelli. The concept of this book, by former style.com editor, is to purge, purchase, organize and maintain a closet that you can easily access and "shop" from each morning. It is too true that many of us spend time each morning trying to figure out what to wear. If you were lucky enough and knew what you wanted to wear; how many times is a particular item, needed to complete the perfect outfit, dirt ...more
Emily
Mar 09, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
I enjoyed this and it most definitely inspired me to great my closet into pristine shape -- and it speaks to the packrats in "us".

The tips I found most helpful:
1) throw out wire hangers, buy "like" hangers...preferably slimline hangers (Huggable Hangers at Target or HSN.com)
2) FOLD tshirts and sweaters. I had NO idea how much of my small closet was taken up by all of the casual tanks and tees I hung up. I bought a Target Canvas sweater organizer (only 10" wide, about 5 ft high) and gained SO MU
Eileen
Apr 24, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie is a self confessed shoe addict like some friends I have!
She has a wide range of hints about how to organise your closet, some of which are common sense.
This book motivated me into giving away a couple of boxes of clothing and analysing what I have that I like and what I need to face this winter warmly and in style!
A great motivator, although most of this is not rocket science, it does create a desire to sort through closet clutter and maximise space!
Thanks Melanie for motivating me to
Amy
Nov 24, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who have no idea where to start when it comes to organizing a closet.
Shelves: read-in-2008
Repetitive information packaged and presented to capture the attention of the audience of Apartment Therapy or In Style fans. Basic information that if you are a regular reader of Martha Stewart Living or Real Simple you've heard before (ie when cleaning out your closet, have three boxes nearby--one for keep, one for donate, one for throw-away) with a lot of attention put on the smaller details like what sort of hangers to use.
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Useful for those just starting out to organize their closets, for hoarders and for shopaholics who claim there's nothing worthy to be worn in their closets.

For those who already have an organizing system, there's no real need to read this. A lot of the information is stuff most readers can figure out for themselves. Although, perhaps one might be able to glean a nifty trick or two to improve said system.
Kiran
Mar 30, 2011 Kiran rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Nothing earth shaking about the information presented by the author. Pretty much everything outlined in the book utilizes common sense from not using dry cleaner wire hangers to periodically cleaning out your closet in order to make room for new items. Other ideas mentioned were just plain not practical for the average reader ie, make your own custom shelving!
Pamela Hubbard
Jul 25, 2011 Pamela Hubbard rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not too impressed with this one. Many of the ideas were basic and common-sense and the more in-depth ideas require a lot of money! I probably won't apply any of the ideas and I'm sure there are better books out there on this topic
Amy
Dec 16, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-books
I was hoping for more pictures... Glad I got this one from the library.
Mary
Feb 27, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: organization
Nothing really new here and a lot of stuff that seems expensive and or time consuming that the author doesn't really explain the value of -- like a written inventory of all your clothes.
Cindy
Nothing special unless you have no idea on how to care for clothes or set up your closet. I was expecting more concrete advice as well. There's plenty of instruction but very little inspiration.
Gretchen
May 16, 2015 Gretchen rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
It only motivated me to purge my closet.
Natalie
Apr 06, 2010 Natalie rated it it was ok
mostly a showcase for her closet-organizing business.
Mckinley
Apr 08, 2016 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Closet organization
Leah
Dec 09, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing
I will re-visit my rating after I have installed all the shelves and pegboards, but so far I am super impressed. I will rule my closets with this little friend!
Nov 07, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for getting out from under your stuff, especially if you tend to hoard clothes and accessories like me.
Ajlin Ly
Ajlin Ly rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Rosie
Rosie rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Dlmrose
Dlmrose rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2010
bubblesm
bubblesm rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2011
Jaree Johnson
Jaree Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
N.
N. rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Glenda
Glenda rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2017
Mary Jo
Mary Jo rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Mallory Hebert
Mallory Hebert rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015