Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style

Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style

2.7 of 5 stars 2.70  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Just when you feared your overstuffed, eyesore of a closet was a lost cause, here's the antidote to all your closet woes. Closet expert and style maven Melanie Charlton Fascitelli is here to help you whip your closet into shape, refreshing your wardrobe and saving you time along the way.

With this accessible, stylish guide, you'll find out how to redo your closet and organi...more
Published April 8th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2008)

Vera
I was looking forward to reading this book after learning about it from some fashion magazine, but I unfortunately I have to agree with the other negative review on here. (I'm surprised there's only 1 so far!) I too am unsure what the other reviewers are raving about...

Here is the synopsis of the book:

- Throw out or donate a lot of your clothes
- Make a list of every clothing item you owe (who has time for this?!)
- Go out and buy yourself a whole bunch of new clothes
- Build your own shelves to or...more
Nicol
Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style by Melanie Charlton Fascitelli. The concept of this book, by former style.com editor, is to purge, purchase, organize and maintain a closet that you can easily access and "shop" from each morning. It is too true that many of us spend time each morning trying to figure out what to wear. If you were lucky enough and knew what you wanted to wear; how many times is a particular item, needed to complete the perfect outfit, dirt...more
Emily
I enjoyed this and it most definitely inspired me to great my closet into pristine shape -- and it speaks to the packrats in "us".

The tips I found most helpful:
1) throw out wire hangers, buy "like" hangers...preferably slimline hangers (Huggable Hangers at Target or HSN.com)
2) FOLD tshirts and sweaters. I had NO idea how much of my small closet was taken up by all of the casual tanks and tees I hung up. I bought a Target Canvas sweater organizer (only 10" wide, about 5 ft high) and gained SO MU...more
Eileen
Melanie is a self confessed shoe addict like some friends I have!
She has a wide range of hints about how to organise your closet, some of which are common sense.
This book motivated me into giving away a couple of boxes of clothing and analysing what I have that I like and what I need to face this winter warmly and in style!
A great motivator, although most of this is not rocket science, it does create a desire to sort through closet clutter and maximise space!
Thanks Melanie for motivating me to...more
Amy
Nov 24, 2008 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who have no idea where to start when it comes to organizing a closet.
Shelves: read-in-2008
Repetitive information packaged and presented to capture the attention of the audience of Apartment Therapy or In Style fans. Basic information that if you are a regular reader of Martha Stewart Living or Real Simple you've heard before (ie when cleaning out your closet, have three boxes nearby--one for keep, one for donate, one for throw-away) with a lot of attention put on the smaller details like what sort of hangers to use.
Joséphine
Useful for those just starting out to organize their closets, for hoarders and for shopaholics who claim there's nothing worthy to be worn in their closets.

For those who already have an organizing system, there's no real need to read this. A lot of the information is stuff most readers can figure out for themselves. Although, perhaps one might be able to glean a nifty trick or two to improve said system.
Kiran
Nothing earth shaking about the information presented by the author. Pretty much everything outlined in the book utilizes common sense from not using dry cleaner wire hangers to periodically cleaning out your closet in order to make room for new items. Other ideas mentioned were just plain not practical for the average reader ie, make your own custom shelving!
Pamela Hubbard
Not too impressed with this one. Many of the ideas were basic and common-sense and the more in-depth ideas require a lot of money! I probably won't apply any of the ideas and I'm sure there are better books out there on this topic
Mary
Nothing really new here and a lot of stuff that seems expensive and or time consuming that the author doesn't really explain the value of -- like a written inventory of all your clothes.
Leah
I will re-visit my rating after I have installed all the shelves and pegboards, but so far I am super impressed. I will rule my closets with this little friend!
Great advice for getting out from under your stuff, especially if you tend to hoard clothes and accessories like me.
Travis
Jan 25, 2013 Travis rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Common sense stuff you could learn in an evening of watching HGTV and Hoarders.
Amy
I was hoping for more pictures... Glad I got this one from the library.
Natalie
mostly a showcase for her closet-organizing business.
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
LMR
LMR added it
Apr 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
May 26, 2014
Katerina Shatalova
Katerina Shatalova marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shop Your Closet Shop Your Closet: The Ultimate Guide to Organizing Your Closet with Style